September 1, 2014 | 1100 users online

Scrubs - Origins - Modern Friction

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2014 9:57:00 AM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I only used this once because I got a sample when ordering the spot remover gel online. This scrub was very harsh on my skin and although it polished it well it also sucked the life (i.e. moisture) out of it. My skin was left so dull, fragile and screaming for moisture. Not good. My skin is combination and unfortunately I found this to be too harsh and drying. And because I read the reviews on here saying how much it stings the eyes, I was so weary of getting it into my eyes that what was supposed to be a relaxing experience ended up in being a stressful one. My skin was left stressed out and dull. It's also ridiculously expensive for a scrub.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2014 11:10:00 AM More reviews by iluvsushi

I absolutely love Origin's 'clear improvement active charcoal mask' and was looking for a new face scrub/exfoliator that was gentle for my sensitive, blemish prone combination (oily t-zone, normal-dry cheeks & chin) skin. At first I was hesitant about purchasing this particular product because of the price and after reading tons of reviews, I decided to get it. I have tried applying this with and without a splash of water on my face and if your skin is very sensitive then I'd suggest to apply this face scrub on a damp face as it's more gentle. Either way, your skin feels fully cleansed and exfoliated. I have been using this product for around 2-3months (roughly) and I am very pleased with this product. Despite the price tag, it has become 'HG' status in my skin care regime. I normally use this scrub once a week (same with their 'clear improvement' face mask, obviously on a different day). My skin feels smooth and soft afterwards. What I also love about this product is that there's also contents of vitamin c which is what I've always wanted in facial skin care products. I have uneven skin tone due to past holiday sunburn and a few dark spots/scars from post acne... and they usually take forever to fade away! My face is also slightly darker than my neck so the brightening properties contained in this wonderful face scrub is ideal for me. I am starting to see some changes as my face is (slowly) looking more glowing, brighter and sometimes clear (I have medium acne almost every month). My pores are large around my t-zone (mostly prominent on my nose area) and in conjunction with the 'clear improvement' face mask, they both help unclog and deep cleanse them. I have yet to see results if my pores will reduce overtime. Otherwise this is another staple in my skin care routine. You really get what you pay for and this will last for a long time as you'd only need a big pea-sized amount for you face. WARNING: do not get this scrub near your eyes because it will sting and hurt. I was lucky I only felt a little sting and immediately washed my eye area with water. So be very careful when using this scrub. Overall, I would happily repurchase this product in the future and would recommend this for normal, combination-oily, oily and probably combination-dry skin too.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 1:11:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight121

The price of this has way gone up every year. The texture and the way it glides on is heavenly but it isn't gritty enough for an exfoliater. It tingles a little if you apply it on dry skin and smells herbal. Just don't get it in your eyes, it burns and stings!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by Hollykadwill

Great for large pores visabley smaller after use, would not use if skin is sensitive. Personally I have combination skin and I think it is slightly harsh for my skin. I think this is best for oily blemish prone skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2013 10:54:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Modern Friction is a pretty intense exfoliating scrub. It doesn't feel very granular but it's a combo of physical and chemical exfoliators that leaves the skin super soft. Love that its made of natural ingredients - it reminds me of a more affordable Exfolikate. That said, I would use this no more than 1-2x a week, especially if you have sensitive skin. Using this several days in a row also made my skin dry and flaky. Be careful not to get any in your eyes, it stings so bad!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2013 4:47:00 AM More reviews by hellokittybrock

I have spent several years of mine using Origins exfoliators. Started off using the Origins never a dull moment. After finishing the tube comes Origins modern friction. Both are equally good. I would say Modern friction is more suitable for people with oily and tougher skin. If you have really sensitive and delicate skin, you wanna stay away from such stuff. The modern friction is more heavy duty than Never a dull moment. You can also tell from the pricing. Modern friction is also way more expensive.

If you ask me which performs better, I would say modern friction gives a better polish result. I might also repurchase modern friction again. I have seen reviews saying Apricot scrubs have rough edges and causes skin damage. They are also less expensive due to its relatively cheap material. They might stretch and enlarge pores. I am not too sure how true that verdict is. But to be safe, I would go with the modern friction.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/2/2013 6:51:00 AM More reviews by Dannigiirl

I have combination skin with a tad of dryness. I was in the market at the time for a good exfoliator and the beauty advisor at Origins (knowing my skin type) suggested this scrub. She said since I'm somewhat dry to apply it with a damp face and if my face is more oily to apply it after cleansed and dry skin. I only used it once or twice a week but was really disappointed. The "beads" were somewhat too harsh for me personally and were randomly scattered around so I didn't feel that it was actually exfoliating all over my face. I really didn't like the smell, but after rinsing, my face did feel smooth and soft but after a minute or so, it started to get dry and tight. I decided to switch my regimen to only using it maybe twice a month but that still didn't help and I never fell in love with it. I think I'll stick with my Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub. Oh well! I don't recommend the Modern Friction (even though I'm a die hard Origins fan) but would recommend the Biore Pore Unclogging scrub to anyone who is looking for a daily scrub with acne prone skin and clogged pores for a better value.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by testerwhore

First of all... a word of warning on this stuff- DO NOT GET IT IN UR EYES!!!!.... HOLY LORD .... this stuff like FRIED MY EYEBALLS OUT ! no lie... it burns like craaiizzzyyyy !
Havin said tht- the scrub itself is fab! Left my face feelin smooth n visibly brighter.
Its got a strange texture to it... kinda like PVA glue mixed with sand! 0_0 very sticky and gunky. I was a little unsure on how to use this so i jst went ahead and applied it on my dry face... which again was a little difficult to do bcoz it dusnt spread tht well on a dry face and kinda get carried away using too much from the tube to layer it on.
However when mixed with a few drops of water this stuff lathers up well.
But it freakin burns if gotten into ur nostrills or eyes... i dunno what they put in this scrub which causes this crazy chemical reaction!!
Its a little on the pricey side- but well worth the dosh when it gives good clear skin!! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2013 12:29:00 AM More reviews by whereismymind59

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Best face exfoliator I have ever used! I am almost out of it! It is a bit more expensive, but I purchased the scrub in September of last year and use it 2-3 times a week. I have combination skin that flips between being more dry and more oily depending on the day and the weather. In the winter I suffer from eczema, and the summer from a super oily nose area and this scrub literally helps all my needs! It is gentle, yet gets the job done, and I love how it doesn't leave my skin feeling tight or dry- my skin just feels clean and nice for lack of a better word. I find it gets rid of oils where you need it to, but it also moisturizes and gets rid of the dry patches- this stuff is like MAGIC.

Even my mom (who is in her 50's) likes to steal this from me and she even told me how much she thinks her skin has improved. This exfoliator is literally for everyone, don't let the price scare you, it lasts FOREVER.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Neelaaaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

**I have combination skin with very very slight oil on my temples and nose.Everything else is normal skin and not too dry or oily. I usually just say my skin is normal but wanted to include that I have a lot of blackhead on my nose. They usually arent extremely noticable but I apply makeup with those magnifying mirrors and just get too self conscience about it.Lol

I recieved a sample of the Modern Friction scrub after a free facial at my local Origins retail store!! After that I ended up purchasing it online (compare prices when buying from the internet and stores.I decided online because I'm a sample whore and found a great deal that came with a full size eye cream)

Anyways, this scrub/dermabrasion/whatever this is, works amazing! Now I've tried many exfoliators in my short 20 years of living and always come back to St. Ives Apricot Scrub...(before discovering Origins). The SA that did my facial mentioned how ST ives can get stuck in your pores and is too rough which made sense but I didn't jump on the train until doing my own research first.Turns out its pretty bad in terms of a scrub and it's gentleness.Although St. Ives has salicylic acid in it and this doesn't, theres plenty of natural/other ingredients that help clear blemishes as well in Modern Friction.

I love it!! I do not have sensitive skin at all but do feel a cooling tingle when puting on my skin.Feel good I guess? lol. The smell is really nice if you like earthy scents.I know I sure do. It's like lime and basil and some sort of other cirtus in it. I apply it dry and spread it as much as I can before it dries.I add a drop of water to help it reliquify and begin scrubbing. I got this weird rubber face scrubber that came with a loreal face wash and it works great for this. It burns like CRAZY if you happen to get it in your eyes when washing off. This is one of the reasons why I just apply it before a shower and let it rinse clean off my face without even touching it. (I shut my eyes tight and let the pressure from the water rinse it off).

Update: 7/30/13
I hate to discourage any potential buyers, but the awesome effects of this scrub fades the more you use it. If you rotate it with other good quality face products, your skin won't have a chance to get used to it and will refresh itself giving a nice glow. This scrub is more of a cleanser when I want a deeper clean since the exfoliating beads are a total joke. I miss my St.Ives scrub because it left me with a deep clean feeling but I will stick to this since it's gentler!

Update: 9/24/13
I still have tons of this stuff. It works average and I don't even use it that much anymore. I wanted this to be that one awesome product , but I will keep searching! By the way, the size that I purchased online is the travel size. So it's been months and I still have a good amount of product left. I will not be repurchasing at this point, just so I can try other products

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No