April 21, 2014 | 1380 users online

Fragrance - Chanel - Pour Monsieur

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2010 7:17:00 PM More reviews by ella343

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

That glitter of lemon and petitgrain, more pointedly sustained than in most chypres, initially suggests an eau de cologne, but once the hesperides burn off, the composition is the height of subdued elegance, even if, like a bespoke Savile-Row suit, it's the product of meticulous, neurotic, and laborious refinement. And like the finest menswear, all its complexity is trained to such subtlety, a balancing act of extreme difficulty, that it verges on bland: the aldehydes lend the citrus notes loft but don't dominate as they do in Chanel's feminines, the dry, herbaceous spice of cardamom (which picks up where lemon left off) and coriander is countered by a fresh, dewy carnation (which continues the powdery theme of the aldehydes), and the oakmoss, tempered by the resinous sweetness of amber and labdanum, lacks the animalic languor of Coty's Chypre, in spite of the comparisons. To noses trained on ultraviolence—or feminines—Pour Monsieur may come across as positively soulless. On a woman's skin, in fact, it is more likely incite boredom than dissonance; as if, after so many trials of patience and mortification, the conservative Austenian heroine of YSL Y has finally found her perfect and eligible match in Pour Monsieur. There's nothing assertive, as might be expected from such an arch-masculine, about the composition; even the opening, for all its brilliance, is assiduously traditional. It is this very absence of histrionics, however, that makes Pour Monsieur a classic among masculines, the paramount example of negative space in perfumery. Let us face it, when a man walks out in a ridiculous, flashy get-up, whether it's a canary-yellow zootsuit from 1939 or jeans six-sizes too large pulled low over boxers from 1996, we laugh at him for his immature bid for attention—it seems desperate, somehow. Whereas, provided he has the charisma for it, a sober, perfectly cut suit, thoughtlessly rumpled by the end of the day, is madly sexy.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2010 6:03:00 AM More reviews by Jasta

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It would be so easy to pass Pour Monsieur by, as it might seem like just another traditional mens cologne. However, on closer examination it reveals itself as one of the most beautiful classic fragrances on the market. It's a very understated chypre, with a bitter-sweet base of oakmoss and woods contrasted with the citrus top. While that might not seem particularly exciting, the quality of materials is exquisite, and gives this elegant fragrance an air of quiet luxury. It is masculine but, like a softly spoken gentleman in a perfectly tailored suit, it doesn't need to scream to be noticed. This review is for the EdT and not the Concentree, which is not the same fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2008 12:41:00 PM More reviews by amysamm

Absolutely fantastic! This is my favorite cologne hands down. I love it on my man, but I wear this myself on a regular basis (I'm not a flower scent kind of girl). It has a very green smell, with a slightly musk, even a slight lemon drydown. It's not the best day cologne (I usually wear Cool Water or Fresh's Fig & Apricot), but great for a night on the town. The bottle is rather plain and uninviting, but that's men's colognes for ya! Seek out a sample and try it. It's one of the best out there, but seems to still be a bit of a secret as not everyone wears this or raves about it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2008 7:09:00 PM More reviews by Sheepie1813

This is such an amazing scent. I read about it in Perfumes: The Guide and since I find most fragrances marketed toward women to be too fruity/flowery, I thought I'd try this classic out. At first I thought it was too strong, too "man," but the drydown is amazing and warm and delicious.

Unfortunately, I came home wearing it on both wrists and my mom starting pitching a fit about the STRONG SMELL I was wearing and how it was making her asphyxiate, etc. So this is reserved for when I am not at home or for a guy in my life.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2008 4:06:00 PM More reviews by dioraddict84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is a very classic scent that I love to wear. It's has a nice citrus scent to it that is understated, and turns into a nice subtle musky/spicy scent once settled into skin. There is a citrus freshness in the top notes, with aromatic and citrusy touch of verbena: lemon, verbena, neroli and orange. The spicy heart presents fresh and sharp, but, thin mix of cardamom, coriander, basil and ginger. The oak moss and cedar create a sharp ending.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2007 9:02:00 PM More reviews by Nickylily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Quite possibly one of the sexiest and understated men's cologne's I have ever smelled. It is warm and refreshing and a littly bit smoldering and spicy all at once. It dries down to a soft smoky, almost vanilla musk and pepper scent. It smells like a high quality colgne and is not over powering- I HATE when colognes and perfumes do that. As a girl I think it smells so good I may get it for myself. By the way, I just read that Clive Owen wears this. The man has taste and looks.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2006 8:15:00 AM More reviews by blah114

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like this cologne.. it's green in color, and smells of lime to me. It's classy, classic, and well-done. I don't think anyone would DISlike this scent.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2005 6:29:00 PM More reviews by lenah

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a fantastically delicious scent for a guy! I was sniffing my hubby for hours after he tested this! :) I'm planning to buy him a bottle soon...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2005 7:16:00 PM More reviews by DunandaFalls

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Make
sure you get the original Pour Monsieur and not the nastier
Concentree version. Pour Monsieur is an amazing blend of classic
citrus notes and hot, sweet spices with a base made up of vetiver,
light moss and warm cedarwood. It is a perfect coupling of classic
notes and modern maturity. It has a spicy warmth that complements
the citrus notes perfectly. There are so many notes in Pour Monsieur
that just sing -- the spicy floral accord that is carnation, the
edible, sweet spiciness of cardamom -- it is just so perfectly
blended. But the unsung hero of Pour Monsieur is the bittersweet
floral/wood/leather quality of strong, pure petitgrain oil. This is
the best us of petitgrain in any fragrance I've found. It is so pure
and luxe, giving it a musky, leathery quality with a very animalistic
feel. Pour Monsieur is rich, sexy, luxurious and perfect for an
evening out. It's a little mature, but I'm 26 and I love to wear it
on any formal or semi-formal occasion. It lasts great too.

notes: lemon, petitgrain, neroli