Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Replenishing Moisturizer

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate (emollient), Butylene Glycol (water-binding agent), Glycereth-26 (thickener), Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil (non-volatile plant oil), Cetyl Alcohol (thickener), Cyclopentasiloxane (skin-conditioning agent), Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate (thickeners), Glycerin (water-binding agent), Cyclohexasiloxane (skin-conditioning agent), Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-3 (cell-communicating ingredients), Sodium Hyaluronate (water-binding agent), Tocopheryl Linoleate, Tocopheryl Acetate (antioxidant/vitamin E), Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (antioxidant/vitamin C), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate (licorice-derived anti-irritant), Sodium PCA (water-binding agent), Panthenol (soothing agent), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (anti-irritant/soothing agent), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (water-binding agent), Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (antioxidant/vitamin C), Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate (antioxidant), Saccharide Isomerate, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate (skin-conditioning agents), Hydroxypropyl Guar (gel-based thickener), Propylene Glycol (slip agent), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Rosa Canina (Dog Rose) Fruit Oil (non-volatile plant oil), Dimethicone, Simethicone (silicone slip agents), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickener), Carbomer (gel-based thickener), Sodium Citrate, Triethanolamine (pH adjusters), Trisodium EDTA (chelating agent), Batyl Alcohol (stabilizer), Benzoic Acid, Chlorphenesin, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol (all preservatives).

on 3/25/2015 6:49:00 PM

This is one of my favorite moisturizers. I am very prone to milia and whiteheads and most moisturizers clog me. This one mosturizes well and I have yet to experience a single bump from it. It can hold its own even in the winter when my skin is very dry.

on 3/16/2015 6:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I have had eczema most of my life, but it's been mostly under control the last 10 years. I have struggled finding a cream for my eye area; most eye creams have a lot of ingredients, which increases the chance that it'll irritate my eyes. Plus, I'm a bit of an eyeshadow junkie, and really hate it when itchy eyes prevent me from strutting my stuff!

I had been using a few of Paula's products; why it took me so long to notice this and try it on my eyes, I don't know. But I finally woke up and gave it a whirl when the product I'd been using started not working. It is not too strong to call this a miracle: my eyelids are no longer itchy, they are normal colored (that one took few years) after being red for many years, and I can wear more eyeshadows than ever before.

In fact, my eyes have improved to the point that I don't need to use this under makeup anymore; usually use CeraVe eye cream for that (it's much lighter and more makeup friendly).

The ONLY "con" to this product is that it can migrate into your eye if you use it generously. Not really stinging, but can make vision blurry. ;-)

on 2/24/2015 4:58:00 AM

A great night cream - absorbs well, no irritation to my v. sensitive skin, no breakouts. My skin ranges from combo-dry to very dry and this has always worked well, even through a harsh Canadian winter.

on 2/5/2015 9:08:00 AM

Well, I think if you have very dry skin, you can skip this brand altogether. I've tried a lot of products from Paula, and they don't give a lot of moisture for me (which is not a problem in the summer, but can be harmful in winter). The Skin Recovery mask is the only exception, and the only product I might repurchase. I've found this cream as mediocre as the others of the line, while the exfoliators and the toners are downright irritating and should come with a health warning. I love Paula's Beautypedia, by the way, and I use the products she recommends there, mostly from Clinique and Estee Lauder. There is a huge difference in my skin's condition, if I use those it it much better than with Paula's Choice. The Skin Recovery Moisturizer for me is a basic moisturizer for normal or slightly dry skin. Although I did not experience any irritation, I did not experience any benefits either. No matter how hard I try to believe in research, ingredients and cited clinical tests, my skin keeps telling me this brand is not the one for me. Maybe there is more behind the performance of a product than an ingredient list.

on 11/27/2014 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I'll preface this review with the note that I have nightmare skin - clog-prone, typically combination (oily with dry, flaky patches), acne-prone, and very sensitive. I have never been able to use moisturizers regularly because I just can't tolerate them clogging and causing excess oil that lead to horrible break-outs. However, with the irritating side effects of many months using Tazorac, my derm recommended I find something rich and suitable for sensitive skin - and then stick with it for 30 days. I picked this one because of the reviews, suitability for sensitive skin, and beneficial ingredients. I started using it at night, about 20 minutes after applying my Tazorac. The first week was really tough because my skin was producing excess oil, but the redness and flaking improved. It's been three months, and it still hasn't clogged my pores. The dry, flaky, sensitivity is resolved, and my skin's moisture and oil levels have really balanced out. The constantly congested pores I'm used to having are mostly gone, and the cystic bumps under my chin are shrinking and fading. I thought I couldn't tolerate moisturizers, but I really just needed to give a good one a chance to work. Ensuring my skin has ENOUGH moisture has actually helped resolve a lot of the problems I was experiencing.

on 10/30/2014 7:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I like! As a little background, I use Retin-A and have very dry skin, and I wanted a super hydrating night cream to use over my PM treatments (yes, it is fine to use a moisturizer over retin-a if you wait at least 20 mins). I am not clog prone, so I cannot speak to that aspect of this moisturizer. Anyway, most creams will at least relieve that tight, uncomfortable feeling after washing, but few actually leave the skin feeling and looking visibly softer in the morning. This one does! It is totally fragrance free (a must for me), and has very good ingredients. This cost $26.00 on the PC website (though there is almost always a 20% discount going on), which is quite reasonable for the amount of product (2 fl. oz), which has lasted me months. Very good value product. Squeeze tube packaging is hygienic and causes no product waste. As an aside, this cream feels quite rich and would work very well as an eye cream. Also, having very dry skin, I can use a light layer of this under my makeup and it looks great, no product balling. Will certainly repurchase.

on 8/19/2014 2:18:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I have nightmare skin, dry, sensitive, and prone to both acne and eczema. Even in my early 20's most moisturizers were too light for my dry skin. I've tried really inexpensive brands, and some high end ones and they usually don't cut it. I love that this is fragrance and dye free which is surprisingly uncommon. This is also provides enough moisture for my parched skin, another difficult task. Price wise this is on par with Olay and L'Oreal so I would say it's very fairly priced. I would repurchase this because the price is on par with other brands, its fragrance and dye free, and it moisturizes well.

on 7/31/2014 5:26:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I HAD THE SAMPLE.
I found this to be one of the most moisturizing lotions in the entire line. It is an extremely creamy spreadable and long lasting lotion that seals moidturizer in the skin. It is best suited for very dry skin with dry patches or for winter time when moisture is sucked out of the air.

on 7/25/2014 3:50:00 PM

Great moisturizer! I like this and her Moisture Boost. This one is thicker for days when you need the added moisture without feeling sticky or heavy. Love that it's packed with antioxidants and fragrance free.

on 7/22/2014 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I used to like this cream better than I like it now and my skin is more mature and drier so certainly the target audience for this cream. But this cream, although not outwardly and immediately irritating, seems to do nothing for my skin. It doesn't absorb well and seems to not make my skin look better or plumped or anything. It doesn't even work that well anymore on dry spots. Instead it just feels rather waxy and sits on top of my skin. I've continued to use it as an eye cream at night and even that's not going well as my eyes seem to be bothered by it now and I wake with some crustiness (sorry for graphic nature.) I'm totally underwhelmed and wonder what I ever saw in this product before or if it's (or I've) just changed that much.