Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Softening Cream Cleanser

3.8

Not tested on animals

2015 formula:Water (Aqua), Hydrogenated Polydecene (emollient thickener), Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (mild cleansing agent), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (antioxidant plant oil/emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Laureth-4 (emulsifier), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (stabilizer), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (mild cleansing agent), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Beta-Glucan (soothing agent), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (surfactant/emulsifier), Butylene Glycol (slip agent), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin (preservative).Old formula:Water, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate (very mild cleansing agent), Hydrogenated Polydecene (emollient), Acrylates Copolymer (suspending agent and film former), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (plant oil/emollient), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener), Polysorbate-80 (emulsifier), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (lather agent), Glycerin (skin-identical ingredient), Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (anti-irritant), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum) (emollient), Beta-Glucan (skin-conditioning agent), PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate (thickener), Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol (slip agents), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent), Laureth-4 (surfactant), Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin (all preservatives), Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster).

I was happy w/ this product until it was reformulated. While I can't be certain (there are so many variables), I believe the reformulated product irritated my sensitive skin w/ rosacea. I'm using PC's Calm Redness Relief cleanser now which is the same as PC's Moisture Boost (per the FAQ's for each product on the PC site). The PC website still says Skin Recovery Cleanser is a good product for rosacea but I've moved on. Calm/Moisture Boost seems like the original version of Skin Recovery and so far, it is helping my skin recover from PC's Skin Recovery Cleanser! I gave the packaging one lippy because it did not come w/ a pump and while PC used to sell pumps, they eventually did away w/ them.

Notice areas of my face breaking out where I normally don't:/ On the flip side, it does not irritate my skin! If you are not acne prone, this is nice! Won't continue using this!

I have been reading a few pretty bad reviews, I was worried that they changed the formula. I have been using this for about a year.. the best cleanser I have ever used. It's even better for me than Cetaphil. Cleans my face and I have never broken out or it's never stung or anything.. just cleans my face, keeps it moisturized. I just bought it again about 2 months ago, so unless they've changed the formula since then ... this stuff is still excellent for me, and I would never use anything else, I have two large bottles, on by my sink and one in the shower and many samples for traveling. I also use the toner.. I've tried everything under the sun twice for my face, breaks out, dries out, except for when I use this.. which is everyday - twice a day.

Keep in mind though, this cleanser does not take off makeup, I use refined coconut oil for my waterproof mascara (there's nothing better ) and Neutrogena's make up wipes on my face before I use the cleanser. Paula's choice sells this in samples as well.

If I was rating the old formulation I would have given it a 5. I have rosacea and I have been able to keep it under control with the help of the old cleanser. It was very soothing, took off my makeup well and did not leave my skin tight or break me out. Now my skin is a mess with the new formulation. I noticed my skin was more red when using and I was getting little pimples at first. I gave it a break and tried it again and now my rosacea is worse than it has ever been and I am left with a rash with tiny pimples all over. When looking at the ingredients I can not figure out what is so different to cause this reaction. It is very upsetting because now I am stuck without a cleanser because I have not been able to find one that doesn't irritate. So to be fair, I guess I have highly sensitive skin, but the old formulation was a godsend.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I finally found the right cleanser for my skin! I have a very sensitive combination skin, both dry and a bit oily as well, prone to spots and blackheads. This doesn't irritate my skin which almost every other cleansers i tried before did so i'm very impressed. It don't dry out my skin which is a big plus because water really dries out my skin and you need to wash of this cleanser with water. I'm prone to redness as well and this don't make my face red after cleansing. I'm so impressed! My skin is so problematic and this one work wonders! I went back and bought the bigger size. I use it this all year round!

I used to love this cleanser. In fact, I ordered it for years. My skin felt clean.It removed my makeup, didn't dry out my skin or cause breakouts, and rinsed off completely. Now, it's pure crap. The formula must have been altered because it doesn't rinse off well and my face feels STICKY with this cleanser. No matter how small amount I apply and how long I rinse my face, my face doesn't feel clean, just tacky and sticky. Complete fail.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I initially ordered a weeks worth of samples of this cleanser from Paula's Choice. I was impressed that my skin did not feel dry and tight after using. Based on my experience with the samples I ordered a bottle along with other skin care products from Paula's Choice. After using the cleanser for about 10 days I noticed a tight feeling prior to moisturizing. This feeling then progressed to lots of dry patches and new fine lines around my mouth and outer eye area. I stopped using the cleanser and reverted back to my old stand by cleanser which I know does not adversly affect my skinl. After a week of this, my skin returned to normal. I tried using Paula's Choice cleanser again to make sure it was this cleanser causing the issues but again my skin had the same response to it. Obviously there is something in the ingredients which my skin does not like.

Pros - great for sensitive skin; gentle and moderately effective cleansing; along with other PC cleansers, one of the most reasonably priced PC products (you can get a shampoo bottle size for $25).

Cons - will not remove heavy makeup and most definitely will not remove waterproof mascara

I don't like cream cleansers, so I'm a bit biased. But if you do like cream cleansers, this is a good choice at a good price - especially if you have rosacea or sensitive skin.

This is a very gentle, unfragranced cleanser that has been great for my sensitive skin. It won't take off eye makeup (even non-waterproof) but it removes my foundation just fine. The quantity is generous and the packaging is well-designed (the top is flat so the bottle can easily be inverted when you get to the bottom).

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Don't let the price turn you away, it's so worth it! I have very sensitive skin, eczema issues, and acne. This cleanser didn't break me out or leave me with dry skin. My face feels soft after washing and not tight like it usually is with soaps. I made this my HG months ago and I don't regret it. It has a milky consistency, a little goes a long way. You only need about a quarter size amount for your whole face, which ends up justifying the price for me. My 8 oz bottle has lasted me 3 months, and that's using it both day and night.