April 17, 2014 | 971 users online

Fragrances - Giorgio Armani - Armani Privé - Ambre Soie

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2013 7:49:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

Armani seems to have taken a minimalistic attitude to a practical level with this one because the sillage and longevity are close to none. In less then half an hour, this perfume transforms into a bare trace of anise on my skin; therefore, to me, it has value solely as a sample. Still, I'm glad to have tried it.

To my understanding, Ambre Soie is based on the contrast between the resinous fullness of what we tend to think of as amber and the lightness of silk. On my skin, there isn't much that I can associate with amber - my personal favourite is Ambre Sultan which would fall into a different category of ambers I suppose. And the sensation of silk is achieved through the airiness of anise, or maybe some ambrette. I think this is a good representation of anise without entering the ouzo territory and it really conveys the sensation of say a silk scarf; however, I find it too linear and predictable after a few minutes.

The rest of Ambre Soie is some pleasant herbal tone and a really soft patchouli on my skin. Unfortunately, it's all very meek and fleeting. (minus 1 lippie for this because this is an expensive fragrance and I think it should deliver better)

rated 3 of 5 on 2/15/2013 8:30:00 AM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've tried nearly all the Prive scents and with the exception of Eau De Jade(headache inducing but still lovely), and I am in love with them all. But Ambre Soie is sadly the first that left me a little dissapointed. Its still a good perfume, exotic, warm and spicy. But it is for me the weakest of them all. For such an expensive price I can't justify ever buying a full bottle. Which is just as well as it leaves me more cash to splurge on the others! :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2011 9:52:00 AM More reviews by tessture

Goes on me very like Angel Pure Coffee. It's gotta be the patchouli. A mint note creeps in somewhere, which is puzzling, but it doesn't stay. The sillage isn't great, but that's probably not a bad thing. As it dries it turns into a very dry spice, almost woody, but does escape the dreaded spice-cabinet stigma by being what is basically a spiced, mild patchouli. It's not bad, but it's also not my thing, so it only gets three lippies. Still, interesting.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2011 5:56:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: ginger, amber, patchouli, pepper and cloves.

This fragrance opens with an aromatic amber note sweetened by anise. It seems to be a lighter and more candied take on amber than Ambra by Etro. The patchouli and clove notes are only detectable very close to the skin - they appear to be the base of the accord. The scent gradually loses some of its freshness, but none of its light sweetness. As the fragrance progresses the anise note fades slightly and the base notes gets more prominent. The patchouli is well-blended and therefore not too dry or earthy. Contradicting the list of notes, this is a rather quiet scent that remains close to the skin. Lasts four hours on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2009 11:25:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is one of the nicest amber-based fragrances I've tried. That being said, it's quite fleeting for an oriental frag. The opening is heavy on patchouli and spices and drydown is more woody (like a lovely fragranced sauna). I can smell the amber throughout and it's beautiful. I find some amber fragrances to be so sweet but Ambre Soie is balanced and lovely.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2009 6:19:00 AM More reviews by wurm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

When I first sprayed it on my wrist, I was bitterly disappointed because I caught a big whiff of hippy sandalwood. Thankfully, the scent morphed into something reminiscent of licorice a few minutes later. I licked my arm but was displeased to find that the taste of the perfume did not match the smell. About an hour later, the scent had settled into something that smelled "spicy", but I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. It smelled good though, so I liberally sprayed it all over myself every ten minutes or so, like a teenage boy with a can of Axe Body Spray.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 10:17:00 AM More reviews by streeetdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

5 words: Mysterious, Intense, Sensual, Sophisticated, Warm.

I have been searching for a perfume that had all the above qualites, and when I told my best friend of the characteristics of my dream perfume, she laughed saying it's not possible.

Well, I finally found it!!!!!!!!! Just smelling it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside and the scent relaxes me a lot. Of course fragrances react differently with everyone's body oils and I found that this lasts a long time on my skin. Even the next morning, there's still a whiff in the air when I move about. This is the perfume a femme fatale would wear. Puts me in such a good mood. The hefty price tag is worth it =)
Armani calls this an oil... not a parfum. But don't be fooled, the consistency is not actually oily - it's like a regular perfume.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2008 2:05:00 PM More reviews by debrsl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous, lush oriental with noticeable licorice in the fragrance. When combined with the spices, it is absolutely luscious. Notes: ginger, cinnamon, clove, cedar, patchouli and amber. Mmmmmm.....

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2006 3:31:00 PM More reviews by 2westies

As much as I love amber, this scent did not do it for me. It's a little thin, and rough around the edges. And while I don't usually go for a sweet, foody-type amber, this one has an unpleasant burn, maybe due to the patchouli. The lasting power on me is just ok, not great, but not so fleeting as others have found it to be. For the high price, there's a shocking lack of character in a scent unworthy of such extravagant packaging.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2006 9:50:00 PM More reviews by SpinDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

No need to repeat what has already been said. The scent is lovely - but I won't buy expensive scents that don't last. This one didn't even make it to lunch time.

Shame.