Bulgari Au The Vert (Green Tea)

4.1

on 10/19/2014 11:18:00 AM

Edited: complete turn around. When I wrote the review below, it was in much warmer weather, but that is not really a good excuse. Now, in the depths of winter, I get fresh, slightly astringent (a hint of pepper, though I don't know if that's in the notes), very gentle tea, with strong support from citrus (not candied) and woods (maybe a ghost of pine, but I have been wearing pine lately, so maybe it's my subconscious). I do NOT get a strong sense of sweetened floral that I described in my initial reaction below. If I wasn't spraying from the same original Bulgari bottle, yep the green bottle, I would wonder if I got this confused with another scent but, no. Dry down is a touch faintly sweetened, but nothing like the sweet monster described in my original view. No milky tea in sight.

This makes me want to revisit other bulgari fragrances. I should note that I am a woman who typically wears vintage extrait (either. Caron or Guerlain) in the winter; more modern Malles and Lutens in the Spring or Fall (with the exception of older Une Fleur de Cassie and Une Rose (which are year round). BUT, sometimes, in the depths of winter, like this January, I feel the need to clear my nose, reset, and today, Bulgari Au Te Vert is perfect.

For men, and for my own personal scent preferences, I do think I prefer L'artesan Timbuktu or the discontinued L'artesan Tea for Two (I am a woman who likes the sharp edge of men's cologne). Timbuktu would be a more controversial as a men's scent because of the fruit - mango I think - opening whose sweetness is juxtaposed with tannic tea. But, Timbuktu is structured, whereas Bulgari is relatively soft edged. ( I will note that though I have just mentioned two L'artesan fragrances, I am NOT historically a fan of the perfume house). On the other hand, Bulgari could be unisex, if the person doesn't mind a very slight powdery finish (some might prefer to characterize this a soapy or clean) that is sweet. (for someone who prefers vintage fragrance, this will still be quite sweet; for someone accustomed to Serge Lutens, it's slightly sweet :) NO mustiness, fustiness, or vintage mossiness. This is a modern fragrance. I am not a sprayer, yet a single spray of this on skin of my wrist is fine. No brashness, this is a relatively linear progression into dry down.

----
This is my original one star review:

Overly sweet, feminine scent detracts from what should be bracing and fresh. If it's green tea, it's a sweet bubble tea milk shake version or iced southern "sweet tea" with a dose of floral. I have a new bottle, purchased in 2014. I wish that I could get a hint of the wonderful fragrance described by others below. My skin chemistry does cause certain citrus to become candied on application, but that isn't the type of sweetness here. I would have preferred some underlying hint of tannins or tea note, such as in the discontinued l'artesan Tea for Two, which is also sweet but has a more distinct tea vibe.

This is distinctly feminine, not unisex, not masculine. And, I say this as someone who regularly crosses the gender line of fragrance. I also often try to convince my DH to wear FM POAL or Gres Cabaret, or Mitsouko, and a variety of Lutens fragrances, and who could imagine a man wearing FM une rose.

I wish I could experience the same fragrance that Dunanda falls writes about below.

on 7/11/2014 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is a green tea perfume is a smoother and more elegant/expensive version of Elizabeth Arden Green Tea. Doesn't give me an instant headache like the Arden one! I like it, but on a man, not myself. I was hoping for something sweet and fresh, but this has a warm and musky base that makes me think of mens aftershave. Slightly expensive, and clean, for an active, fit man who is up with the times.

Top - Bergamot, Orange Blossom, Cardamom, Jamaican Pepper, Coriander
Middle - Bulgarian Rose, Spanish Jasmine
Base - Green Tea, Oakmoss, Tonka Bean, Bee's Wax

on 6/20/2014 1:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Very Expensive but beautifully packaged green tea scent with moderate sillage. Settles (on me) into an almost amber-like base.

on 5/17/2014 6:29:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

In the movie "City of Angels" (1998), Nicolas Cage pokes around Meg Ryan's bathroom, and he accidentally sprays her Eau Parfumee directly into his face & eyes -- and starts screaming. They only show the top part of the bottle, but it's obviously Eau Parfumee.

Eau Parfumee launched in 1997, and I read many years ago in a magazine that Meg Ryan actually wore this perfume in real life back then -- and so did Sharon Stone -- and Mary Tyler Moore also. Elegant & beautiful ladies, all.

The scent is citrus, florals, and green tea, and I've owned it in the past. It also contains some herbal & mossy notes in the drydown. Personally, I prefer Elizabeth Arden Green Tea -- because I feel it stays lighter, fresher, and cleaner throughout and also holds better.

on 10/6/2013 11:06:00 PM

Great green tea, fresh scent - loved it forever!!

on 11/2/2012 9:10:00 AM

notes: Bergamot, Orange Blossom, Cardamom, Jamaican Pepper,
Coriander
Middle
notes: Bulgarian Rose, Spanish Jasmine
Base
notes: Green Tea, Oakmoss, Tonka Bean, Bee's Wax

I've always been a big fan of Bvlgari's creations due to their clean,fresh and luxurious nature...smitten by Bvlgari pour Femme, entchanted by Rose Essentialle, consumed by Mon jasmin noir , surprised by the spicyness of au the Rouge, comfortable with Au the blanc, but most of the time delighted by the wonderful, clean and not at all ''another-gree tea'' scent called Au the vert....
I think this is the world's most safe perfume that suits all occasions, all ages, all people in the world...the thing is, all other brands tried very hard (Dior escales, YSL Saharienne, even beautiful Hermes Jardins collection,....) to get that fresh,light but spicy feeling of summer breezyness, without makin it banal (Arden green tea, no ma'am!),boring, lemony or simply too watery, trying to evoke that season....
this is far beyond and above banal....it has a atmosferic feel, it screams expensive and feminine, but it also has the most amazing combination of notes qouted above...
i adore it and when I need a freshness boost without feeling bored after some time, or wrapped up in artificial lemons and whatnots....

highest grades,good sillage and no man should be without one if he cherishes the magic of simplistic and yet superb scent creations...

on 3/21/2012 2:37:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is quite a departure from my normal Guerlain! But, I like this fresh, crispy scent. With notes of bergamot, bitter orange, orange blossom, Ceylon cardamom, pepper, coriander, Bulgarian rose, jasmine, green tea, and smoked wood, it has a list that looks like something I'd like. My love of bergamot prompted me to try this out, and I really love it. I think it's going to be delightful in the sweltering hell that is a Southern American summer.

I'll edit this review in regards to wear-time when I have more chance.

on 10/8/2011 2:09:00 PM

Love the crisp, spicy green tea smell! It's amazing!

on 12/13/2010 6:38:00 PM

As a green tea lover, I wanted to like this fragrance. Unfortunately, when I finally received my Bvlgari au The Vert, it wasn't what I was looking for. It is a very clean, crisp scent at first that develops warmth and a herbal spiciness later on, at least on my skin. It is not an unpleasant scent, just not what I was looking for. I will still use this on days when I feel the need to wake up with a herbal crispness, but my search for a cool, crisp (possibly aquatic) green tea scent continues.

on 5/22/2009 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is my everyday scent, I love it and wouldnt change it for the world. What I like is that there is a green tea scent but it is mixed with other notes which soften it.

Popular Fragrances