December 22, 2014 | 1778 users online

Lip Gloss - Chanel - Rouge Double Intensité - Ruby Lite

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2009 8:04:00 PM More reviews by twitches

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am not a red lipstick sort of gal, but this is a terrific blue-red with good lasting power, and it's my go-to on those rare occasions when I want red lips.

I always find the darker long-wearing lipsticks flake off in an uneven, flaky manner as the day goes by, but this one is pretty solid. It won't leave nasty red lipmarks on your coffee cup and will still have plenty of color left at the end of the day, even if it's not a perfect as it was in the morning. I also like the gloss portion of the Chanels - very silky and moisturizing. One of the best long-wearing reds out there; certainly the best I've ever tried.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2007 12:15:00 AM More reviews by voravons

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

All of the Chanel Rouge Double Intensite lipsticks are such an underrated product, perhaps the best of all the lipsticks Chanel has to offer behind Rouge Allures. It's a long-lasting liquid lipstick with color on one end and a clear gloss on the other. Slight vanilla scent, but not overwhelming. Unlike other lipsticks of similar style, this wears off evenly instead of flaking. I get a good 7-8 hours.

As for Ruby Lite, it's a warm-toned, berry-ish red. Very pretty alone with just a dab of the gloss for work, or gloss all over for a night look.

A tip: Rather than using the doefoot applicator to apply the color, I use a flat concealer brush. Mine is just a cheap one from Posh. It helps the color lay more evenly, creating a gorgeous canvas for the gloss! I did take off one lippie because the gloss end tends to spurt out if you push back in too quickly. Retails for $32. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2007 4:55:00 AM More reviews by Loredana23

I am never caught without my red lipstick, and absolutely HATE the way that regular lip colours kiss off straight away in moments of passion, when a woman needs to look her sexiest! Hence my addiction to long-last lipcolours. I've used a plethora and prior to this, Lipfinity in 'Glistening' was my HG. I hate using Max Factor, though - such a cheap, nasty brand, and, snob that I am, was determined to buy a Chanel longlast lipstick no matter how awful it turned out to be. I love the colour of this soft, glamourous red, I love the pretty packaging, and the non-sticky glossy gloss, but I just can't get it to stay on! I've never had this problem before, but I apply it, lips frozen into a smile, after breakfast, wait for it to dry and then slick on the gloss, but when I buy my morning coffee at around 11am my lipstick comes off all over the cup! I'm mystified and mortified, but persist nonetheless because I love the concept, the colour and the name so much...but am really struggling with the way that it "kisses off on him," leaving me bare-lipped when I most want to be a red-pouting vixen!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2006 6:12:00 PM More reviews by michellabella

Somebody pinch me. Did my dream really come true? Not only have I finally found my HG red, it also comes in an ultra long-wearing formula that does not come off until I take it off!

Let me tell you, I have bought so many red lippies, and although I found some nice shades, I was never satisfied to wear any as is, I always ended up mixing & layering other colors to get the effect I wanted. The Ruby Lite Rouge Double Intensité is the perfect, most flattering shade of red on me, with a hint of shimmer to bring it to life. I wouldn't classify it as a true gloss, because the red color portion is extremely opaque--it's like a paint, or liquid lipstick. It might be slightly on the cool side, which is just how I like my colors (really makes my teeth look white and bright).

And talk about long-lasting. I have tried other so-called long wear lip colors, and this is the only one that truly delivers. It applies smoothly, doesn't crack or collect in corners or folds, and isn't drying or irritating to my lips. It stays comfortable and PERFECT all day long, and believe me, I tested it on Thanksgiving, and it survived all the eating, drinking, and kissing all day long.

It's also pretty versatile, which was an unexpected boon. With the gloss, it is an intense, high shine red lip. I have also layered the red color over some of my old red lippies (my old MAC Russian Red felt neglected) and I've got an indelible matte look. You can dab on lightly with fingertip for a subtle stain too, or adjust the depth depending on how you apply. Tips: Please make sure lips are exfoliated before using, and apply carefully, because when it sets, it is truly set all day and beyond. It seriously passes the white napkin test.

So even though $30 might seem expensive, it's worth every penny. Since you virtually never have to touch up, I think it is a better value than other products you use up more quickly. Will I repurchase? I already have! I love Rouge Double Intensité, but my husband might love it even more--he loves being able to kiss me without getting color smeared all over his & my face. That's the best testimony of all!

continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2006 2:06:00 PM More reviews by mcrevell

I rarely wear lip color this bright, but everyone should have a great red in their makeup case. Unfortunately I've tried SO many reds and never liked them. They are always either too wine/brown/orange/pink on me. Plus, with a lip color that dramatic you can't let it wear off or it just looks bad, so you end up having to constantly check it and reapply. This color is PERFECT though, and it's about as low maintenance as you can get for a red. No need for liner because it doesn't bleed, no need to touch up because it lasts forever! The color is great - it's got a bit of a shimmer so it doesn't look to vampy. I think it's blue-based so it looks good on people with "cool" coloring (I'm pale, blue eyes, freckles). I apply with a brush and let it dry about 30 seconds before applying the gloss.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2005 4:30:00 PM More reviews by Cheara

Wow ! Drama red, deep berry red. Beautiful colour. One side is like paint and the other side a sort of coating. Lasts for hours, I had to reapply after several hours, like after 6 hours. I had coffee, ate, no problems no colour transfer. A keeper this is !

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2005 12:55:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just received this today, and so far I'm very pleased with it. It went on smoothly and beautifully, is lasting wonderfully well, and the color is beautiful. "Ruby Lite" is a bit of a difficult color to describe; it's red, but not a bright Santa Claus red. "Deep berry red" is the best I can do. It's a gorgeous color, and I think it would work well on just about everyone.
So far, I like this one the best out of all the long-wearing lipcolors that I've tried.However, since this retails for $30, I'm not quite sure that I'd buy it again unless I can get it for less than retail on eBay, which is what I did this time. If the price were around $10.00, like Revlon OverTime, I wouldn't hesitate, but my spendthrift side just recoils at the thought of paying $30 for a lipstick, even a beautiful high-performing one with a prestigious name on the tube.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2005 7:30:00 PM More reviews by Vesper

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been looking for a Shanghai red liptstick for a while, and it was down to Bobbi Brown's lipstick "Red" (matte cool red), Stila's Twinset in "Demi Rouge" (a bit warmer), and Chanel's "Ruby Lite" (neutral red). Although the packaging and color between Ruby Lite and Demi Rouge are almost identical (matte lipstick on one end, gloss on the other), at the end I chose Chanel really for its phenomenal staying power
In terms of staying power, my god, this is the atomic bomb of lipsticks. Had it on before going to see Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle. Did not apply liner. Went through a Coke, a hot dog, pretzels, and a large pop corn. I laughed, I cried, and when I came out of the theater, I still had ruby red lips. No feathering at all. Amazing.
But I think $30 is a bit too expensive. Stila's Demi Rouge is $20, and although it doesn't have as great of a staying power, it is still a great product. It's just that for bold strong reds having that eaten/faded look during a meal is a real fashion faux pas for me. So for other colors, I would probably go with Stila.
continued >>

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2005 10:56:00 AM More reviews by tshinn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really, really wanted this product to be awesome, but alas, it is not a good one from Chanel. The color is so pretty and I loved the concept but it was really drying and very akward to apply. I tried using a lip brush along with the sponge applicator wand but the results were uneven and cakey. The overall consistency of the lipcolor is very thick and clumpy. I was hoping it would be a bit more liquid if not gel-like for smoother application. As soon as I applied it, my lips looked terrible. I was disappointed and removed it quickly with Lancome's Bifacil Makeup remover. I am ususally such a devotee of Chanel but this one has left me wanting to throw it out. I hope Chanel improves their formula. I will stick to MAC Pro Longwear lipcolour which is a dream.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2005 7:53:00 PM More reviews by fhyeh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

LOVE this lipgloss! It's really more of a lipstick with a gloss on top, but that's fine with me.

It lasted all day, even through meals, snacks, and drinks. Best of all, it lasted through the thousands of kisses I planted on my little 11-month-old girl, which is the most important test of all to me. I haven't worn lipstick since she was born because I don't like getting it all over her, but now I can look a little more dressed up without making a mess or (even worse) avoiding baby kisses.

It's expensive ($30) but worth every penny.

Ruby Lite is a fabulous color for me. I agree with some other reviewers that the color range for this product is limited, but if you're looking for a beautiful bluish red, this is it.