October 20, 2014 | 1987 users online

Cleansers - Mario Badescu - Keratoplast Cream Soap

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2013 2:53:00 PM More reviews by purpldy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I want to preface my review by saying the MB Keratoplast line I feel is meant specifically
for those with rosacea, and may not necessarily be a good fit for those with
sensitive skin, especially sensitive, dry skin like mine.
When it was time for a skin care routine change, I decided to give MB a try as
I have liked some of their products in the past. I considered them a more
"basic" line (like another favorite Kiehl's) that seemed to fit my sensitive skin
and budget. Therefore, reading the labels on the products (and looking at the
display at Ulta) the Keratoplast line seemed to fit the bill.
Unfortunately, I had no idea what "keratoplast" was, I assumed a botanical
as the labeling on the bottle mentioned "soothing" and so forth. But after using
the soap and lotion for a few days, I could not understand why my skin was so
irritated. After a bit of research on the MB site and the internet in general,
I found out that "keratoplast" is a BHA, somewhat like salicylic acid , that is
used as an exfoliant in skin care. Ah, no wonder my skin was so sore. It actually
wasn't flaking or red, but it was very touch sensitive, and my hands were developing
the little eczema pimples I usually get when I use a product my skin hates. I can
tolerate an exfoliant a few times a week, but I was using it twice a day in both my
cleanser and toner, way too much for my sensitive skin.
Is the PH correct for this product to actually exfoliate? I have no idea but
it sure made my skin react as if I'd used my Mia very roughly or over applied my
AHAs or BHAs.
As far as the cleanser itself, I enjoyed using it. The scent was mild if non-existent
and only a little was needed. I actually believe the first few days I used it on its own,
I used waaay too much and most likely added to my irritation problem. As far as makeup
removal is concerned, I only use "light makeup" and no eye makeup at all, and I still
felt I needed to double cleanse. I like to use the other MB cream soaps or makeup removers to remove my makeup first then use another cleanser, or to use a cleanser
twice, but I have been a double cleanse gal for years ;-) I found using this with other MB cleansers, or on its own did not make a difference as far as irritation, both ways were a no go for me.
In conclusion, those with sensitive skin, proceed with caution and cut your
exfoliants from your routine until you know how your skin will react and for those that
can't use exfoliants because of your sensitivity, I'd skip this one and try the Cream
Soap or the Cucumber Cream Soap instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/3/2012 3:30:00 PM More reviews by varmintrifle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my morning face wash. I would not use it to remove my makeup as it just won't work, but it does a good job at removing the sweat and oil that accumulates while I sleep. I think the steam from the shower helps at removing that layer of "film" other reviewers complain about. It's not perfect but I like that after using this in conjunction with the Keratoplast Lotion and Calming Cream my face is nice and clear, not red or irritated as it used to look. My skin looks smoother and healthier. I would say I have combination skin that is oily and flaky all over, and this doesn't increase oiliness nor skin congestion. It also doesn't cause that tight feeling that many cleansers do.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2012 2:32:00 AM More reviews by honeylavender

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this cleanser for 3 reasons. First, it's got tons of great ingredients for anti-aging and overall skin health, like keratoplast (basically, a beta hydroxy acid that helps firm the skin and refine pores) and aloe + bee pollen to sooth skin sensitivities. Second, I love the scent and texture. It's got this lovely honeysuckle/white floral scent that lingers faintly even after cleansing. Finally, this is the kind of cleanser that you WANT to have on your skin. I don't understand the negative reviewers complaining that this doesn't take off their makeup, because I don't think you should rely on just one cleanser to do everything. I use a harsher cleanser to take off all my makeup and follow up with this lighter cleanser that soothes my skin while I have an already bare face. For those purposes, it's really nice and I recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2012 8:57:00 PM More reviews by kristy88au

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have dry clear skin so I go for cleansers that are 1) non-drying, and 2) will be able to remove my makeup. I was happily using Cetaphil, but decided to give this Mario Badescu Keratoplast Soap a try as it's the only product I've come across which claims to reduce broken capillaries. I so enjoy applying this product, it has a beautiful scent and texture like all MB products. It kind of has the texture of whipped cream: very fluffy and lightweight. It also removes makeup well. However, the best part about this product is that my skin feels MORE moisturized after I use it than it did before, which is heavenly for someone like me with dry skin. The packaging is hygienic and easy-to-use, and a little goes a long way. I've been using this for several months now and still have about three quarters of the bottle left. On the other hand, I did not see an improvement in my broken capillaries, though I also did not develop any new ones. This may be because mine are already purple and will need to be lazered off. I was not too disappointed as I didn't expect this to be a miracle cream! It just feels good to use something that may be slightly strengthening my skin. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2012 8:43:00 PM More reviews by pawnshop_rose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This cleanser dried out my skin so badly. My skin is dry/clog prone, sensitive and I sometimes get broken caps. I bought this cleanser in the hopes it would help with the broken caps. It has a strong smell and thick texture. I felt like I was rubbing shampoo on my face. My face felt so dehydrated and raw after using this. Never again will I use this!! I wish I could give it ZERO lippies!!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2012 9:36:00 AM More reviews by jj192

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a very gentle cleanser, the sort you could use in the morning. It doesn't remove make-up in the slightest so you need to double cleanse if you want to use this.

This did not irritate my rosacea but the main thing I want a cleanser to do is remove make-up and unfortunately this doesn't even come close to doing that.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2011 2:58:00 PM More reviews by melanirae

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I switched to this from the MB cucumber cream soap. I have subtype 1 rosacea, and loads of broken capillaries so I thought I'd give it a try. I like it much better than the cucumber cream soap. I love the creamy feel, and the scent is faint. It does leave a slight film, but it's less than the cucumber cream soap.
I use it in the morning since it doesn't remove make-up thoroughly enough. At night I use MB gycolic cleanser to take the day off my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2011 10:44:00 AM More reviews by kristalblair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this product, and can hardly believe the bad reviews. A lot of reviewers on here complain about a "film" being left on their face, but in my opinion this is not a bad thing. The main ingredient in this cleanser that does the "magic" is the keratoplast (Isodecyl Salycilate) therefore I want this ingredient to linger on my face and into my pores. I am using this for broken capillaries, and this was the only thing I could find that was specifically designed for that. I also have very sensitive break-out prone skin (I won't say acne prone because when I break out it's only one or two pimples of the cystic type). This hasn't broke my out, but has calmed my skin down incredibly. The broken capillaries on my nose and under my right eye have been slowly diminishing, and I've only used this three times. I use this in the shower by dampening my face, and letting the steam open my pores, applying this cleanser in a circular motion avoiding my sensitive eye area. I go about my business in the shower and rinse this off after I'm about ready to get out of the shower. I only splash water on my face until all the noticeable cleanser is off, but of course there will be some remnants left and I like that my face doesn't feel taut or dry after using this cleanser. In my opinion, this is one of the best cleansers in the Mario Badescu line, and I fully plan on getting the moisturizer and toner to accompany the Keratoplast cream soap cleanser. I mean how many cleansers do you know of that are specifically directed to fixing and aiding broken capillaries and/or red, inflamed skin? Broken capillaries is something I thought I would have to deal with for the rest of my life, so this has been a God-send. I will update this review if anything shall change.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 11:21:00 AM More reviews by lotusfairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my current favorite morning wash. I have oily, sensitive skin that makes my skin prone to eczema and redness, especially around my nose and cheeks. This has a beautiful, shimmering light blue color and a creamy base. I apply a small quarter size amount to my damp face and massage it in circular motions, then rinse. My skin feels clean and soft, not to mention the redness is more subdued. It also doesn't break me out or dry out my skin. This is not a miracle worker, but it certainly helps to soothe my skin. Overall I would repurchase.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2010 12:57:00 AM More reviews by Journey03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

it's an o.k. product. i wish it would foam up instead of just sitting on my face. I wanted a product that would be suitable for highly sensitive, reactive skin and this seems to fit the bill. i have to wet my face, put the product on and rinse off w/ a washcloth to get all the product out. i think when this is done, I will go back to my clinique foam rinse cleanser (in the pink tube).