April 17, 2014 | 1252 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Cristalle

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by grayeyedkat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

You can't argue with top-of-the-line quality. Chanel is reliable and delivers predictable outcomes, very classy. This was first introduced to me by my mom's friend, who sold Avon. I was only about 16 but I was enamored. My mother gave me both a bottle of Cristalle and Coco. I kept them, actually, until I was old enough to wear them. (I'm still waiting because I'm only 30 and these are definitely scents better designed for someone at least 35.)

Cristalle is, in particular, a powdery scent. It has no fruity elements and no inserted sweetness. It's up to your body chemistry to do the work creating a unique, exquisite scent. It has a slight floral element that is far from overpowering. Mostly, it has a touch of spice but still remains soft.

Pros: Very high quality scent, will guarntee meld with your unique chemistry to create an individual signature scent, will give you the impression of sophistication through a sophisticated scent, long lasting so you don't need to use much to apply

Cons: Very expensive (about $75 for 3.4 oz), bottle is gawky and wide and hard to grip, have had problems with the plastic parts breaking and the nozzles clogging up, for a specific age group so not widely accessible for a large client base

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 1:00:00 AM More reviews by kstone1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Of the many fragrances I own they all have their own story. Cristalle was introduced to me in a plastic surgeon's house on the beach in Florida. I was told to use their daughter's bathroom to shower. When I did I noticed the bottle on the counter. Of course I smelled it. I told myself someday, I would be able to afford a nice bottle like that..It stuck with me. Funny how fragrance works...I am on my 2nd bottle I love how green and light it smells.Some days it's impossible to wear a floral. One of the earlier reviews said it triggers migraines. With me It's Givenchy's Dahlia Noir. Headache in a bottle. To me the proof is: my brother and father are both very choosy about what women wear. And they *both* like Cristalle.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/14/2013 1:38:00 PM More reviews by lurketylurk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually find chypres have a dusty quality to them that I just can't stomach. But Chanel Cristalle EDT exemplifies the cool, dry green that you would think oakmoss should feature. It is crisp and refreshing, with a touch of citrus accord to lend it brightness. It is an oldie but a goodie, created in 1974, and yet it seems very modern.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by zeynepd

briliantly radiant lemons on a green chypre base; very refreshing and confident, but not very deep on me. 3.5

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2013 7:32:00 PM More reviews by sarah4250

All I can get from this is dirty, stale cigarettes! Seriously, what am I missing here? Am I picking up just one top note? So confused because to me this is the opposite of fresh, yet it has been described as a fresh, clean scent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by ninaulrich

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is my favorite scent ever. Light, fresh and classy, seems to suit every occasion. It simply feels so right for me and I just can't stop sniffing myself when I wear this, ha ha. Reminds me of summer and good times. Plus, it doesn't seem to be on every woman these days which makes me feel it's "my" scent. It lasts fairly long on me considering it's got green notes. The bottle is huge and cheaper than the other Chanel perfumes. Have worn this for two years and I can't see myself getting tired of it.
I'm also dying to get the Cristalle Verte for the spring.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/2/2012 1:34:00 AM More reviews by bumblebee770

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It kills me to say I wouldn't buy Cristalle again. It's a showstopper for me - sharp, clean but complicated in it's own way, elegant, lovely, and also triggers massive migraines. I love it so much and can't wear it but at least I know my bottle is safe in the dark cool perfume storage if I ever want to torture myself :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2012 6:42:00 AM More reviews by YoHarajuku

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was glad to see one review here were someone said this smelled like an ash tray. At least I know I'm not crazy! This exactly describes this scent for me. I don't understand the positive reviews, perhaps it's another case of wrong body chemistry.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2012 9:28:00 AM More reviews by marylizette

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is NOT my type of scent. Florals give me migraines. Oakmoss makes me recoil. I dont like anything subdued. I am a card carrying spicy- amber- vanilla type of girl. Unfortunately, my husband is not a spicy- amber- vanilla type of guy. So I spritzed this EDT whilst walking through Bloomingdales and promptly stuck my wrist under his nose. His response was "hmmm....really nice." Which is the equivalent of him moonwalking through the shoe section whilst singing and throwing glitter. So I bought it and braced for the dark spots and nausea that my migraines usually entail. And now, a week later, I have to say I am in LOVE! I feel chic, sexy, and clean wearing this. Its initial astringency morphs into this mysterious blend of herbs and oakmoss that just blows me away all through the day (yes I have no issues with longevity). The moral of the story (other than "my husband is always right") is that after all these years as a perfumista who became bored with niche and mainstream alike, I learned that the perfect blend of individual notes that on their own, I do not care for, can morph into something amazing. Shame on me for not realizing that sooner :) So do not assume, sniff!

24 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2012 11:11:00 AM More reviews by snissie

The original Cristalle (1974) was my one and only frangrance love from the time I first discovered it in the early 80s. It was so citrusy-fresh and light. True, it was not long lasting but the scent was so perfect I didn't mind. Since the early 90s I knew that something had changed and I only knew that I didn't like the "new" Cristalle. I was excited when I learned that now the EDP and EDT versions are different, and that the EDT is lighter - I thought maybe the EDT was like the original but sadly it is not. I went to the Chanel counter in Bloomingdale's and had a very pleasant conversation with a sales associate who tried to throw me off track by saying "a fragrance is a memory in a bottle," implying that it was my memory of the original Cristalle that was different, not the fragrance itself. Like they don't want to admit that Chanel did change the fragrance. I found some info online that said they relaunched an EDP in 1993 with a longer-lasting (heavier, sweeter) formula, but I know the EDT also did change at some point, I'm just not sure when. So I tested both the EDP and EDT in Bloomingdale's just to see for myself, and confirmed that neither of the current versions is anything like the original. Now for my reviews of the current versions: The EDP is awful. It's very heavy, woodsy, and harsh, almost masculine, and if they were going for long lasting here they succeeded in the worst way - I could still smell this on my wrist the next day and it was sickening. The EDT is lighter with hints of honeysuckle or hyacinth - in fact, when it dried down that is all I could smell - but somehow not as "bright" and citrusy as the original, and it is not long lasting at all - in two hours it was completely gone. Fortunately, I did also try Cristalle Eau Verte and though it is still not as good as the original Cristalle, it is quite good and this is what I will wear until Chanel comes to their senses and brings back the original. Cristalle Eau Verte will definitely remind you more of the original - it opens with a burst of lemon/bergamot and I'm in heaven - but it dries down to a much more feminine, creamy scent which is the magnolia. To me, it smells a bit "soapy", but the citrus notes do linger in the background so it balances out. So for now, I guess the original Cristalle is...not a memory in a bottle but actually a bottle in a memory!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No