September 17, 2014 | 1993 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Cristalle

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2014 3:50:00 PM More reviews by flappergirl35

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

As much as I tried to love this perfume, I couldn't. It was a gift from a friend, and I could never tell her how badly I thought this stunk.

The smell reminds me of pine needles mixed in with a strong lemony dish detergent, combined with stale cigarette smoke. Drydown smells like musty old dried flowers to me.

I have just sprayed it on my wrists and the smell is nauseatingly cloying, cold and unfeminine. I am going to go into the bathroom and rinse it off - if it can be, since it is a very tenacious perfume and tends to stick around for a long time.

All in all, it just doesn't work well with my body chemistry.

I have had my bottle for a very long time and I believe it's time to round-file it.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2014 3:43:00 PM More reviews by Meleana

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I recently purchased the EDP version of this fragrance, and perhaps it's been reformulated because of IFRA restrictions on oakmoss. I never wore this before, so I have nothing to compare to past memories or bottles. I get no oakmoss note on this. No green, musty mossiness, only a bitter, stale cigarette odor in the drydown. It's difficult to even find Cristalle these days, and I had to go to a particular Nordstrom to sample it. I love crisp, green non-sweet perfumes and wanted to try it. The sales associate tried to steer me away from Cristalle, but I loved it when sprayed on my wrist in the store. I thought she was a really poor SA for trying to get me interested in the Eau Vert instead, but now I know why.

When I wore it all day to work the next day, I got the full experience of what is supposed to be the oakmoss in the drydown. Not sure if this is a low-atranol version of oakmoss or even a completely different synthetic. I know many perfumes have had to be reformulated due to all the allergy restrictions on fragrances. All I know is I finally understood the full meaning of the term "a scrubber." All I wanted to do was get in the bathroom and get it off. Thank goodness I purchased at Nordstrom and I can return it. I would recommend to anyone trying this for the first time to get a small sample from the SA and wear it for at least several hours before purchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2014 11:07:00 AM More reviews by nero77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like a walk through a wet forest in the spring...

This is a review for the EDT. This fragrance, whilst being a classic, is certainly (not) for everyone!

What hits me upon initial impression is the bitterness of it all. A hit of very citric lemon and oakmoss which stays throughout the life of the fragrance, coupled with a floral drydown (I'm detecting a little hedione, or jasmin-like smell). This is very "green" and sparkling, hence the name Cristalle.

It smells very very mossy and lemony acidic, almost giving the impression to me of walking through a forest with the trees and flowers still wet from the spring rain. To me it doesn't exude "freshness" because of the heavy oakmoss vibe, but I can see what other people mean when they describe it that way.

Who would wear this fragrance? Well, anyone who likes "green" or "hesperidic" (i.e. slightly citric) scents... or those who like a little bitterness in their fragrances. On that kind of person it will be a holy grail fragrance. For me, I enjoy it (it's also completely unisex as an EDT), but I can't fit into it so easily.

Overall... is it well made? Yes. Is it a classic? Yes. For everyone? Well, for those who like this type of scent... green, bitter, mossy, damp, citric and sparkling! Like rain dew on flowers and musty, moss-covered tree logs in the forest after a downpour of heavy spring rain. You've done it again Chanel... (to me) this is slightly disturbing, yet unmistakably unique!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2014 6:44:00 AM More reviews by claregriffin

This is my signature scent which I have been wearing for years. I absolutely adore it but only tend to wear it for best because it is outrageously expensive to buy. I only ever buy this duty free when I go away on holiday because in the shop its about 80 per bottle which is purely for the design name.
The perfume itself is quite citrusy and green, it has a sharp twang when you spray it but is so elegant and timeless, the scent lasts and lasts and the EDP lasts all day and lingers on your clothes. Do not bother buying the EDT as the longevity is awful. The EDP is more expensive but worth it as the staying power is so much better. I always get compliments when I wear this and I think that a woman of any age could wear this fragrance and still get compliments. I think this perfume will remain my signature scent forever, or until something I could possibly love even more comes along. I would highly recommend this perfume if you can afford a bottle and keep it for special occasions, it always makes me feel sophisticated and elegant when I put it on, afterall dahling its Chanel!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 1:22:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is supposed to be a sparkling Woody Citrus but the citrus/lemon notes fade quickly into a classic dusty chypre drydown. Smells ok, I like the boardroom-serious personality of the scent and the lasting is not bad at 5 - 6 hours on me. But I think there is something missing from it. It feels slightly empty with a chemical vibe, as though they had to remove crucial bits in the reformulation (in the EU ban natural jasmine, oakmoss ect had to be removed) and couldn't think what to replace them with. Great bottle and branding, but for the price the quality of the actual perfume is so-so.

If you were actually after a sparkling LEMON fragrance try something else like the radiant aromatic 4711 "Eau de Cologne", Lancome "O", or, the tangy, juicy Annick Goutal "Eau d'Hadrian".

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by grayeyedkat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

You can't argue with top-of-the-line quality. Chanel is reliable and delivers predictable outcomes, very classy. This was first introduced to me by my mom's friend, who sold Avon. I was only about 16 but I was enamored. My mother gave me both a bottle of Cristalle and Coco. I kept them, actually, until I was old enough to wear them. (I'm still waiting because I'm only 30 and these are definitely scents better designed for someone at least 35.)

Cristalle is, in particular, a powdery scent. It has no fruity elements and no inserted sweetness. It's up to your body chemistry to do the work creating a unique, exquisite scent. It has a slight floral element that is far from overpowering. Mostly, it has a touch of spice but still remains soft.

Pros: Very high quality scent, will guarntee meld with your unique chemistry to create an individual signature scent, will give you the impression of sophistication through a sophisticated scent, long lasting so you don't need to use much to apply

Cons: Very expensive (about $75 for 3.4 oz), bottle is gawky and wide and hard to grip, have had problems with the plastic parts breaking and the nozzles clogging up, for a specific age group so not widely accessible for a large client base

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 1:00:00 AM More reviews by kstone1964

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Of the many fragrances I own they all have their own story. Cristalle was introduced to me in a plastic surgeon's house on the beach in Florida. I was told to use their daughter's bathroom to shower. When I did I noticed the bottle on the counter. Of course I smelled it. I told myself someday, I would be able to afford a nice bottle like that..It stuck with me. Funny how fragrance works...I am on my 2nd bottle I love how green and light it smells.Some days it's impossible to wear a floral. One of the earlier reviews said it triggers migraines. With me It's Givenchy's Dahlia Noir. Headache in a bottle. To me the proof is: my brother and father are both very choosy about what women wear. And they *both* like Cristalle.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2013 1:38:00 PM More reviews by lurketylurk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually find chypres have a dusty quality to them that I just can't stomach. But Chanel Cristalle EDT exemplifies the cool, dry green that you would think oakmoss should feature. It is crisp and refreshing, with a touch of citrus accord to lend it brightness. It is an oldie but a goodie, created in 1974, and yet it seems very modern.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2013 4:53:00 PM More reviews by zeynepd

briliantly radiant lemons on a green chypre base; very refreshing and confident, but not very deep on me. 3.5

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2013 7:32:00 PM More reviews by sarah4250

All I can get from this is dirty, stale cigarettes! Seriously, what am I missing here? Am I picking up just one top note? So confused because to me this is the opposite of fresh, yet it has been described as a fresh, clean scent.