September 21, 2014 | 969 users online

Hair Treatments - Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer

rated 1 of 5 on 7/6/2014 4:56:00 PM More reviews by ladyerlene52

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Other, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have Silver hair I used This Product and it Turned my hair PINK. I contacted Luster and even e-mailed pictures of my damaged hair. After pictures were sent none of my Phone Calls were retuned. I have had Pink hair since Feburary Also I have used this product before back in the day with NO problem Maybe this was a BAD Batch or Its not Good for Silver Hair?

rated 2 of 5 on 4/18/2013 11:06:00 AM More reviews by emathy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This product is really hit-and-miss! Despite all the mineral oil and petrolatum, it's light enough that it works great for *some* but not-so-great for *others.* I think that's because it's basically a low-moisture sealing treatment.

Anecdotally, in my childhood when my hair was finer, often processed, and required less moisture than it does now, it appeared to work a little better to make it more manageable. Now I have healthy but thick, low porosity 4a (tightly coiled curl pattern) hair which needs all the moisture this product utterly fails at locking in (even when I try to layer it over others). Meanwhile, my mother's thinner, relaxed hair loves this stuff to death! It somehow makes *her* hair soft, shiny, and smoother, yet not particularly greasy. I don't think much has changed about this stuff over the years, either.

Bottom line:
If your hair is very low porosity &/or needs help absorbing all the moisture it can get. If you are particularly high or low porosity (basically everybody with curly hair except those few in between, lol), this is *not* the product you want.

If your hair is relaxed (chemically straightened), heat-treated, or in need of a *standalone* product to lock *out* moisture (anti-frizz), this might be the right thing for you.

If the package advertising was accurate I'd have at least given this product a 3/5 overall, but it basically claims to be everything for everybody, and that's not cool at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2012 7:01:00 PM More reviews by M0nay07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gross texture ,too thick and filled with horrible ingredients

rated 1 of 5 on 4/18/2012 7:35:00 PM More reviews by johnson1775

do not buy this crap or any of its other brands , im not black but i use this on my hair and been using it for years , was wondering why my hair would not grow and now i know why , it also makes your hair dry , dust and gives you split ends , i have to keep cutting my hair more than 3 inches but i will never touch this brand again. its going in the trash , for all of you that wants to put oil moisterizers in your hair dont do it! it just sits on your hair , leaving it to rip the natural moister out and dry out your hair. use a serum , like nexxus , this brand is crap.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by billie999

The smell was horrific. It smells like STRONG, bad perfume and the smell DOES NOT come out no matter how many times after you wash your hair.I tried covering the smell with perfume, and scented lotion....but no matter what I did I smelled like this horrible Pink Luster crap. I think it took a week of washing my hair and not using this for the scent to be gone.

Never will I ever buy this God awful crap again.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2011 6:38:00 PM More reviews by NiteOwlGrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

So I just use this product after drying my hair to get the fly aways down. I use a little bit on the palms of my hands and rub them together and run my hands through my hair. I make sure to put a little bit more on the ends, but not too much because than my hair will look oily and gross. It works really well it moisturizes and softens my hair and the fly aways go away. I don't think I use the product like you're suppose to but it works for me. Better than spending a lot of money on John Frieda Frizz ease products that don't work as well for me. It does smell a little weird, but it's not a big deal.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2010 9:20:00 AM More reviews by DiaryofaDyme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This time, even I must agree with the others. This product sucks! I have mid back length 3b, 3c and 4a part ethnic curls which are dry, frizzy and coarse, and this product did nothing to treat any of these problems. This product is based on melted petroleum jelly and as such, it coats the hair, actually preventing moisture from coming in. On my hair, the results were a waxy, non-shiny mess. On the other hand, I'm not a 'natural products only' junkie and am well aware that there some very moisturizing and nourishing non natural hair moisturizers out there, such as the one I prefer to use on my hair. These are thick, nourishing moisturizers loaded with moisturizing ingredients(glycerin, various oils such as olive oil/coconut oil, etc.). Do yourself a favor and look for these moisturizing ingredients in the product, look for thickness of texture, and steer clear from coating ingredients and ingredients which may provide temporary shine but are stripping and drying in the long run. Your hair will thank you by being so healthy, it shines from within.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2010 5:46:00 PM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

Once I stopped putting this crap in my hair it actually grew past shoulder length. This junk adds nothing of nourishing quality to hair. My hair is now bra strap length, I keep it off my shoulders, out of my face and use mostly natural ingredients in it. Most of the products (gel included) aimed at black women are of no use or quality. Do yourself a favor and do more research into natural products that will benefit you and your hair because this is not it. MUA should really consider a 0 star option.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by dawl_1015

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm soo surprised by all the bad reviews! I'm caucasian, with bleached platinum blonde hair, and I LOVE this stuff... like so much, that I would buy stock in the company and even do commercials for them if I could lol. Usually I avoid products with alot of 'fillers' and non-natural ingredients, but this stuff WORKS so I stick with it. My hair isn't typical white girl hair though, its naturally very fine and dry, compound that with bleaching the crap out of it, and you've got yourself a hot mess. Enter: Pink oil moisturizer. It literally seals in moisture and keeps my hair healthy and shiny. I refuse to heat style (too damaging), so I get my hair straight by roller setting my hair in large rollers when its wet (my hair's naturally wavy). I wash my hair with Pantene conditioner, rinse out about 75% of it, then run the Pink oil stuff through it before putting it in rollers. It comes out shiny, bouncy and gorgeous. This product is definately a keeper for me... but different products work different on everyone! I basically use it as a 'setting lotion' to control frizz and seal in moisture when I put my wet hair in rollers. I'm not impressed by the mineral oil content, but it's taken me years to find something that tames my hair so I'm not gonna shun it cause of that! :)

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2010 12:52:00 AM More reviews by lonetabby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm amazed by all the bad reviews for pink oil. I use it as a sun protectant and frizz tamer/leave-in conditioner for my hair. It works great, not leaving it smelly, greasy, or frizzy. It's the perfect amount to weigh down the frizz and big hair look I get in humid weather. It works great to coat and protect my hair before swimming or beach going as well.