October 20, 2014 | 1453 users online

Lip Gloss - BeneFit Cosmetics - Homemade Benetint Lip Balm / gloss

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2013 11:43:00 AM More reviews by jamesie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Genius! If not for MUA, I probably would've shelled out the big bucks for what is, essentially, red food coloring in a nail polish bottle.

Here's how I made it: I purchased some tiny eyeliner bottles from gardenofwisdom.com (not affl), my go-to ingredient place. Added a couple drops of red food coloring to a bottle, then filled with my alcohol-free hyaluronic acid toner, as I wanted to dilute the food coloring to make it easier to work with (straight-up food coloring tended to be to strong, I noticed). I'd recommend using something with a preservative in it to dilute, or if you're making with plain water, making a new batch at least once a week.

After using my amazing concoction, I think a used lipgloss container (sterilized, of course) would work just as well as the eyeliner brush for applying; I just didn't have any handy and was placing a GoW order anyway.

To use, I just swipe the brush on my lips, and since I don't like dyeing my fingers pink, I swipe the brush onto a blusher brush for my cheeks.

So far as staying power, this stuff stays for a good 4-6 hours on me, through eating, kissing, etc. I haven't tried BeneFit's version, so I can't compare, but I'm taking the other reviewers' word for it that this is essentially the same.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2008 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Teacakeanyone

Here's an amazing tip, ladies and gents - go buy Organic Red/Pink Food Coloring and it works just the same as Benetint!!!

I've been doing a ton of Googling recently to find natural alternatives to lovely lips. I researched carmine, Indian earth powder, tried to find traditional Indian herbs or henna, etc. And finally I saw beets come up again and again (beet root powder, juice, vegetable slices, or extract) and is an age-old tool.

I went to a natural food store (Whole Foods) to try and find beetroot juice or powder to make my own version of Benetint. I love Benetint, but it's riDICulously expensive and the only way I found to make it work for me was to put some on a Q-tip and literally swipe my lips back and forth numerous times (to rub it in and make sure it soaks in extremely evenly between creases). So instead I found by chance Organic Red/Pink Food Coloring that only contains water, vegetable glycerin, and beet root juice. I am in awe.

#1 - it's all-natural, something I'm needing more and more for cosmetics allergies. #2 - Benetint = $28; food coloring = ~$5.50. You do the math. #3 - I got a huge bottle, probably three times as much as BeneFit's product, so I can soak up a ton on a Q-tip and never feel bad.

Try it out NOW!

47 out of 49 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2004 7:23:00 PM More reviews by luckie17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I designed a way to make Benetint Lip balm at home because I love the Benetint color (so pretty!), but it needs touch-ups. I previosuly used the real Benetint lip balm, but it is so hard to use and doesn't leave any moisture or gloss behind. The Benetint bottle is not practical for travel. To make this tinited, I mix some soft lip balm from a squeeze tube (I used Vasilinbe lip thearapy, but it would be greta to use something with SPF) with some Benetint and benetint lip balm (optional, I just want to use mine up). Mix this on a plastic dish with one of those plastic manicure stcks (get a new one, they're cheap). ry it out and add more benetint if it's not colored enough. You will probaly need more than you think, but the Benetint bottle is so huge that it won't matter much. I also like to add a bit of Lip Venom to add flavor and a little tingle. You could also use any flavored gloss or balm. This will add flavor, aroma, and shine. Then use a tiny plastic spatula to transfer it into a little jar (I bought one at a durgstore). It should be spreadable and leave that perfect Benetint look!

17 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No