October 20, 2014 | 2013 users online

Treatments (Face) - Merle Norman - Luxiva AHA Intensive Complex

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2010 9:52:00 PM More reviews by glendonwyne

To begin with, my skin is acne-prone & sensitive. I got this because of the good reviews on MUA. When I started using this, I had some acne, & I was pretty sure it was giving me more, perhaps because of purging. I stuck with it, though, hoping to get past the purging stage & see results. I used the whole bottle. Nothing about my skin changed. Still have acne, still have uneven skin tone, clogged pores, uneven texture...Plus, it's expensive & the bottle, though hygienic, makes it difficult to use up the last of the product. I looked on their website, though, & they seem to have changed the packaging, so perhaps they've reformulated it as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2009 1:27:00 AM More reviews by CosmoGirl25

This product is the best. It gives exfoliation with out having to scrub. It kept me from breaking out without drying my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2009 6:33:00 AM More reviews by bloom290

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Other

I used this product for quite a while and the glowing reviews are well deserved. I have dry, blemish prone skin that has been nearly impossible to deal with. Taking care of one problem usually means exacerbating the other, as apparently no beauty company has ever thought to address this particular skin type (is it really that uncommon?). This product was a godsend. The blemishes cleared up and dryness was not the issue it once was. For the first time in my life, I felt like a light moisturiser was all that I needed. I can only surmise that the acids were doing the exfoliation my skin would have done if it was normal and balanced, and the potential for clogged pores was thereby minimised while previously ubiquitous dry patches were softened. I only discontinued my use of this product when I discovered a wonderful cleanser that could take the place of both my cleanser and this treatment (I prefer my skincare regimen to consist of as few products as possible). This product has only my highest recommendation.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/3/2009 11:01:00 AM More reviews by BlueStars

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

After using it for the first few times it did seem to smooth out texture of the skin but after a week or so the results seem to have faded and it's almost as if my skin became immune to it!
Makes skin smooth but not much acne or scarring wise.. does anyone know the strength of AHA in this? Thanks!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2009 9:22:00 PM More reviews by lola_b

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is one remarkable product! I've been using the AHA treatment alone for about three weeks now, but I did notice dramatic results within a few days. My wintertime flakiness, dullness, and fine lines have all but disappeared! Skin is soft, smooth, glowy and well-behaved. I am also somewhat prone to break-outs and so far,
this stuff hasn't caused any pimples.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2009 10:30:00 PM More reviews by kim4l10s83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm not so sure about this. I have used half the bottle and have temporarily discontinued use. I hate putting this on because it feels very sticky at first and always burns my eyes terribly even if I carefully avoid my eye area. It also makes any breakouts more uncomfortable. Now that I have looked up the ingredients on the skin deep cosmetic safety database I realize why. Most of the ingredients are irritants to eyes, lungs, skin and have immunotoxicity and the list could go on. I was happy with the results. My skin seemed softer and smoother. I think I will wait till my face is completely clear and then finish up the bottle. I will not repurchase anytime soon. Maybe years down the road when I have more mature skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2009 5:44:00 AM More reviews by theriddler01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So after reading the reviews on here I thought I'd give this a try. I bought a bottle on x-mas eve and wanted to use it a few weeks before my review.
I've used this once a day. Sometimes before I go to sleep and sometimes before I put on makeup. Just depends. I have noticed a difference in my complexion the past week. I look smoother and my skin looks not as dull as it used to. But what really told me this was working was the compliments I got last week from coworkers. Seems out of nowhere the younger girls at my work started asking me what I've been doing to my skin lately. They told me I have this glow about me and I look younger. This was all at different times of course. But the compliments were the same. Glowing skin and younger looking. WOO HOO!! So glad I read the reviews. 50 bucks is nothing if it gives me the results this has.
***I do notice a slight stinging/burning that lasts about 15-20 min, but it does have acid in it. Not enough to make me uncomfortable though. I think this lets me know it's working. And it doesn't smell bad to me at all. I'm not wearing it for perfume, so who cares if it does smell strange to some people. At this point with the results I've gotten it could smell like dog poop and I would still use it.

Thanks to the other reviewers for turning me onto this product!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2009 5:51:00 AM More reviews by maple2sugar

This is a wonderful product! I'm so glad I bought it after reading the reviews on MUA. Although it doesn't mention on the bottle, it actually prevents acne from forming. I tend to get clogged pores very easily and exfoliation is not an option for me as it tends to be too harsh for my skin causing white heads and acne to form. This product has worked wonders. Not only has it smoothed out my skin and rid of all the whiteheads and blackheads but it has also stopped acne from forming. My skin feels so smooth now and make up application is amazing. I will definitely keep buying this product although it's a bit pricey but certainly worth it! It will always be part of my night time regimen before I apply my moisturizer and after toner. I love this product!!

P.S. For those who struggle with either the occasional (hormonal) acne or even moderate acne, do give this product a try. It's amazing. It stops acne at the doorstep. Zaps any raised bumps into a single clogged pore that is ready for easy extraction within 24 hours of use (not exaggerating... it works this quickly each time I get a raised bump); leaves no scars behind; and greatest of all.. after extraction the skin calms down over a few hours and it never poses a risk to spread the pimples elsewhere. Also the times I get raised bumps reduces over time, as a started out with pretty bad skin and it was just going through the layers and layers of cleaning.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/11/2009 1:35:00 AM More reviews by dragonballz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product makes my face feel somewhat smoother but I dread the application process. It stings slightly upon application and has an unappealing synthetic citrus fragrance. My face always feels itchy and uncomfortable after I rub it in. I wish I could rate this as a 3.5. I have since found a treatment that makes my skin look and feel smooth minus the excessive chemicals/synthetic fragrance that this one has so I won't be repurchasing.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/4/2009 1:39:00 PM More reviews by chesney

Update: I had to come back and change my rating. My sensitivity to it stopped pretty soon after I started using it but it kept drying my skin out, even with moisturizer. I noticed I was getting bumps that just wouldn't go away, probably because of all the silicone in it. I've never had a problem with pimples unless I use the wrong product. Also, even though the SA said it would be great for my skin I actually noticed more fine lines popping up so I've discontinued it.
I bought this to hopefully lessen fine lines and repair previous sun damage. This is a strong aha! It clearly states on the package that it may not be suitable for sensitive skin. I'm 45, dry skin, especially now (winter), sensitive but not extremely sensitive. I've only used this for 2 nights and today my skin is the driest it's ever been, aside from when I used a chemical peel. It actually feels similar to that. I have 2 moisturizers on right now and they're not helping much. I thought aha's were a good choice for dry skin. I definitely won't won't use the aha tonight. Maybe the next time I try it I'll dilute it with a moisturizer and see if that helps. I really like the container and this aha is fairly easy to apply. The scent of this really bothers me though. It's not exactly unpleasant, but I'm sensitive to it for some reason. I seriously doubt I would buy this again but I'm going to see if I can finish the bottle. I may try another weaker, unscented aha.

I rated this highly only because I believe this is a great aha for those who can tolerate it. I didn't want to ruin the ratings just because it wasn't suitable for my skin type.