October 21, 2014 | 1060 users online

Styling Products - Sebastian - Potion 9

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2014 5:45:00 PM More reviews by socharming

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I can't believe this product has been around forever, and I only recently stumbled across this during a random websearch!!

I found the ~previous~ formulation at my local grocery store (the trial sized tube in a box) and really loved it! Then I went next door to Sally's Beauty Supply and bought their generic GVP version of this (about 4 times as much product for the same price). And I loved that as well. My difficult-to-please hair actually couldn't discern any difference in results. So I love them equally!

The ingredients are mostly identical and so is the consistency. The GVP has a better smell than the brand name product (Sebastian smells like perm solution at the hair salon to me!). Both made my wavy/curly hair absolutely soft, voluminous, and shiny with tons of defined waves. I haven't used a product this great in YEARS!!

Since Sebastian re-formulated this now and made it less effective (according to other reviews; or should I say "allegedly"?) thanks to Proctor & Gamble taking over this brand (how many good products have been ruined by companies and their re-formulations??), I will stock up on the GVP generic version at Sally's. Not crazy about the tube packaging, so I refilled it into an old pump dispenser I had from a long gone/discontinued ArTec favorite of mine.

I just work a quarter-sized amount into my wet/damp hair, comb through briefly to distribute the product, and let it air dry. Voila! Volume!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2014 4:48:00 AM More reviews by gotmud002

In the last year my wavy/ straight hair has started curling, especially at the roots. I was at a loss of what to do because I don't want to use heat on my hair everyday to straighten it, but untamed my hair is huge. I came across this stuff and my hair is transformed! I put a few pumps in after squeezing the water out of my hair in the shower, before I wrap it up. I also don't towel dry my hair, I use an old t-shirt. I heard in high school that a shirt would cause less frizzy than a towel and have been using one ever since. I leave my hair in the shirt for 15 minutes and then apply more to my hair when it's damp. I scrunch it a little, use a little hairspray and let it air dry while I do my makeup. This is so much easier and better for my hair than my straightener. It doesn't leave a heavy feel in my hair or weigh down my curls. It is a bit pricey, but for my hair that hangs down to my bra strap on my back, I use six pumps total. I'll buy this stuff forever, or until my hair changes texture again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 4:58:00 PM More reviews by originalskin

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have no idea what has happened to my hair. Over the past 5 months my fine, highlighted, just below shoulders, dry, fragile hair has gone from a slight overall wave to spiral curls underneath and a strong wave/some curl on top if allowed to air dry...on a good day. I say "on a good day" because this has been like getting a whole new head of hair and suddenly having to throw out everything I have have spent a lifetime and thousands of dollars (I am a terrible product ho!) figuring out how use to get my hair to look good... products, styling techniques, finishing products...and now nothing I own works at all on my hair. I suddenly do not need a root lifter (I have about 6 of them right now on my shelf) unless I want to look like I have been electrified. The Cement Thermique by Kerastase that I spent a pretty penny on to protect my hair while blow drying almost daily is just hanging out, unused and getting no love because I am now trying to figure out how to make the most of these damndable curls that came out of nowhere! On a good day, I love it because if I can figure this out, I can have a no heat lifestyle that my fragile, brittle hair will thrive on! Living in a low humidity climate (Tucson, AZ) means that my hair is more prone to dryness, frizziness and damage from the elements, so unfortunately, my good hair days have been few and far between while trying to figure out these curls.

I have tried oils, Mousses, Gels, pomades...nothing was working with the curls...That is until I read the reviews for Sebastian Potion 9 and decided to give it a shot. I had tried it before years ago on my slightly wavy hair, and was unimpressed. Now you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. This super slick orange creme/gel hybrid turns my hair into bunch of soft, defined silky curls. It helps amp up the curl a little in the places where it tends to be straighter, which gives me a much more even and attractive curl pattern. I apply a pump of it to wet (right out of the shower) hair then twist my hair up in a towel. After about 10 minutes I take it out of the towel, apply another pump and then use a wide tooth comb through my hair. I gently scrunch it up so that the curl pattern pops back up and allow it to air dry with very little disturbance. I even turn off my ceiling fan as that seems to change the way it dries. I will scrunch a few more times but that is really all, and the curls are shiny, smooth and boucy. The scent is faintly orange/citrus, but I do not notice it much after it has dried. My curls will last for a couple of days, with a spritz of water on day two and a little scrunching to bring them back to life. The condition of my hair has greatly improved, because of this product and the lack of heat being used on my hair. I cannot see any splits, and the amount of breakage is dramatically reduced, which I am thrilled with. If you are a curly/wavy hair girl, especially with fine hair that gets weighed down easily, please give this a shot. It is expensive, which it the only con I have for this product. HG status at this point.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

EDIT: Since the reformulation this product contains less protein and isn't quite as good as my old bottles. Its still good, but so are a lot of products at this price point so I'll probably shop around to try something different. It smells good but the dispenser is messy and leaks product down the side. I also found out that Sebastian are now owned by Proctor & Gamble, who test on animals, which doesn't exactly thrill me to the core.

*****

This is a great duo product that is a treatment and a styling product in one. A lot of products make that claim, but they just coat the hair with heavy silicones and do nothing to actually treat the hair. This one is different because it contains proteins that help reconstruct the hair. I have long wavy fine hair that had lost its curl and gone limp and frizzy with damage, dry crunchy ends. Brought this stuff to scrunch into the ends and a little to smooth down top frizz. At first I thought it was great when did as promised, no bad smell, quick to use.

Halfway through the bottle I noticed my hair changing, even on days when I was NOT using the product. Curls tighter and more defined, volume returning on the top, shine and softness back, and hair appearing to grow faster (as the ends were being treated and were no longer snapping off. Now I think its not just great, its super great and actually makes a huge difference to hair! I'm not normally a hair product gal. I've found a lot of salon products are over hyped and do nothing for my hair in the past. Anyway, I was so encouraged by how Potion 9 was working I stopped needing to use heat tools to add body or shine back in, as it was coming back naturally. Also, those little frizzy flyaway "halo" on the top of my head are almost gone (those are actually snapped off damaged bits).

This product along with coconut oil* is amazing for hair, especially helps repair fine damaged hair which needs a lot of protein. I love how its just one step, because I'm quite lazy with my hair and won't do anything that isn't easy. My first bottle was a surprise gift and at first I thought I wouldn't re-purchase because the bottle looked so tiny and expensive. But I only use 2 pumps at a time and I can really see the change its made in my hair, so I totally want to know where to buy another bottle. I don't know another product that does the same thing. Those sensitive to protein might not like this product, or will want to rotate products when they feel their hair getting dry and crunchy.

* Virgin Coconut Oil has been scientifically proven to enter the hair shaft and help hair retain protein, retain elasticity, and not get damaged during the washing process. This is the ONLY oil that does this as it contains the exact right molecular sized particles that are small enough to enter the hair shaft and not just coat the outside. Its the natural compenent Lauric acid in it that does this. The study says for maximum conditioning, it works best when applied to dry hair before shampooing, preferably up to 14 hours is best but overnight is good enough. then wash out as you normally do in the morning. Can also use as a leave in treatment, melt a small amount onto your fingertips then mix a tiny bit with styling product and apply to hair. Hair will be softer and you should be able to ditch the shine product. Over time your hair will become less damaged. I found this out halfway through the Sebastian trial when I wanted to know why Potion 9 was improving my hair in a way no other styling product has ever done. This turned me onto the magic of proteins and coconut oil.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 7:43:00 AM More reviews by Amariah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have black straight and with medium thickness hair with bleached red streaks. My hair was very dry on the ends, and it looked quite ratty and untidy. Once I used a about a 10 cent amount on my hands on dry hair. I could not believe how good this product really is. My hair looked like I had just gone to a salon. I just blow-dried the product in. The product is good value for money considering you only use a very small amount. I have hair just past my shoulders. My hair felt lovely and smooth. The moisture ingredient made my hair look really healthy. My hair was smoother and more styled. My hair looked neater and the hair colour sand the cut was emphasised by this product. I will definitely stock up on this product, it really worked well in my hair. I was quite cynical that this product may fail, but I was definitely wrong. This product is well worth purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by MiddleCyclone

Potion 9 rocks! It is the perfect product for anyone with medium to long hair who like the free flowy straight or wavy type styles.

To me this is a cross between a leave in conditioner and a styling balm as it has some hold and adds texture yet it is so intensely moisturizing. It works amazingly for smoothing out my hair and taming all the little frizzies and flyaways I used to always get. This is the perfect prep product for a smooth and polished blow out. I always used to depend on a flat iron to get that perfect sleek look, now after using Potion 9 I hardly use my flat iron and Potion 9 has really helped minimize the damage I inflicted from flat ironing so much.

I've really not found anything else like this as it's so much more efficient than your standard smoothing balm or lotion and it's not quite as heavy as a serum or leave in conditioner. It's a perfect hybrid of awesomeness!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2013 6:37:00 AM More reviews by outtasteam

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!

Sebastian is one of my favorite brand line of products. I love Potion 9. I have thick, dense, coarse, dry, heavy layered hair that is long. I mix a litte of this product with BioSilk serum, let air dry and BAM I have alot of natural body. Not really curls but body and texture.
It's a little pricey but a little product goes a long way, so in the end it is affordable.

Go Sebastian!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2013 8:00:00 PM More reviews by ellann

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this after I read some reviews. I have a course, unrully 3B hair with lots of frizz ( Mediterranean curls with uneven pattern). It didn't make my hair soft and it didn't get the frizz out of my hair. Even the cheap drugstore ones dose the job much more better than this. I just returned it back to Trade Secret and Because there is no refund there I got store credit. Be careful if you have Course frizzy curly hait It might not work for you. It does not give a tiny bit of definition to curls at all.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

I know this has been around forever and I know I must have tried this back in the early 90s (as I remember the smell and I think it came in a toothpaste type looking tube then) but I must not have liked it then. My goal in the late 80s/early 90s was big hair and with my fine hair, anything that cause it to be smoother was not a good product for me then. Now my goal is smooth, shiny, healthy looking hair. I highlight my hair and I am growing it longer than normal so it gets like straw at the ends and looks terribly dull. This has REALLY worked to give me shine and swing and touchable softness. It does not help much in the volume department but it does give it a little body. If I am feeling like it - I will add a root volume spray and I get more volume and I am really happy with the results. I think it is a great product - wish it was cheaper but I think it will last a long time.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2013 10:01:00 PM More reviews by bamaRN37

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I received a sample size in my Glossybox. I used it one day when I was too lazy to blowdry my hair. I used it to scrunch my waves/curls and then let it air dry. It has light hold and my waves/curls were perfectly formed with no frizz. The pump style packaging sucks. Attempting to use this pump with slick hands is annoying.