Sebastian Potion 9

4.1

Water, Glycerin, Guarhydroxypropyltrimonumchloride, Jojoba Seed Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PVP, Cetearyl Alcohol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Fragrance, Panthenol, Imdazoudinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Amodimethicone, Polysorbate 60, Propylparaben, Olive Fruit Oil, Orbigyna Olefera Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Disodium EDTA, Stearalkonum Chloride, Sesame Seed Oil, Ethyl Hexyl Methoxycinnamate, Hydrolyzed Silk, Tetrasodium EDTA, Rice Bran Oil, Citric Acid, Orange 4, Camellia Sinesis Extract, Willow Bark Extract, Ext. Violet 2, Red 40 (2012 formula)

If you are in search of a light, barely there feeling styling product this is for you. Unfortunately, my hair is not very cooperative, I have fine curly, cotton candy, wispy kind of hair. Potion 9 gives me (on freshly washed hair, applied to damp hair) soft loose curly waves. Very easy and loose, it looked very nice. While they are reasonably frizz free and nice looking they are still a bit fly away. I need a fine balance of not too heavy, but a bit of heft because my cotton candy hair is so wispy and fly away. Second day hair is not pretty when I used this. My curls are pulled out. I have a whole Captain Cave Man look going on. I used this in place of my Deva Styling Cream and all other actions and products were the same. I prefer the Deva because it gives my hair the extra heft I need without weighing it down, but not letting it get too fly away & wispy. The Deva Styling Cream also chunks my curls together better.

So given how this performed for me, I think this would be amazing for those with fine hair, those that want loose hold and definition, and those that want to not feel like they have something in their hair. Not a bad product at all, but not the best one for me.

I am 28 years old and first discovered potion 9 when i was like about 14 years old in my sisters drawer in our shared bathroom. I have literally never stopped using it since. All of my friends have become cult addicts too. It's just the best styler ever. My hair is naturally wavy and I "scrunch" it into my hair to create pretty, loose, shiny waves when it dries, and i smooth it into my wet hair before blow drying and straightening, as well as adding some more to smooth over after i'm finished. I ALSO use this product when I do a top knot, I smooth it into my hair, and toss it up, whether i want a loose top knot or a tight formal one, this is my go to. It never EVER leaves my hair greasy, but controls flyaways, adds shine, and nourishes my hair. I am into trying other products and often do but I have never found a better hair product out there!

I got this stuff randomly for free and I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do! My hair is fine, damaged/processed and straight. This gives me just enough control without making me feel like I have anything in my hair. I notice a huge difference in the fullness, softness and smoothness of my hair when I use it before blowdrying. It's certainly not a miracle treatment (is there such a thing?) but it allows me to fake having healthy hair. I'm a hair stylist, so I've used a lot of different products, but this is definitely THE ONE for me.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I love Potion 9 and use a quarter size in my chin length bob. My hair is curly, likes to be frizzy and I use my Chi flat iron to get smooth shiny hair. This works as a leave in conditioner and a styling balm and it is intensely moisturizing. It works for smoothing my hair and taming all the frizzyness. This is the perfect prep product for a smooth and polished blow out. I love the light fragrance and people are drawn to it thinking it is a light fragrance, but I don't wear fragrance.
I get Brazilian Blowouts and have to use the accompanying products. They don't smell good and I miss my Potion 9! But my hair is smooth and straight so I deal with it.
My hairdresser uses Potion 9 and I've been using it for as long as I can remember. It is a holy grail product that I will always use! If it works on my "difficult" hair it will work for everyone!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I never tried the old formula so I can't compare but I love this stuff. I have mostly straight hair (with random wavy patches popping up as I get older). My hair isn't coarse but it is kind of thick. Not only does this add softness and shine, it's also great for the weekends when I'm going to let my hair air dry. There is a distinct different in how polished it looks when I use this vs when I don't. It doesn't seem to weigh my hair down at all nor make it greasy. (I don't use a huge glob though.) I also find that it's great for dealing with tangles both in my longer hair and my child's. My child has fine, bone-straight hair and this is one of my favorite things to use on her to ensure that her hair is easy to comb and tangle free. This stuff smells great too!

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I have fine nordic hair, and I bought this after using Kerastase heat protectans creams for a while(which I liked, just wanted to try something else).
The smell is very overpowering for me, so people who are sensitive to smells should stay away. The smell is like older womens heavy perfume, but it gets weaker after blowdrying the hair.

This is supposed to be a duo product, but after using it for 1,5 months or so I see no change in my hair, it is still a little dry and brittle.I use no heating tools besides blowdryer, so I expected a little more. It also leaves my hair greasy without moisturizing.

I will use it until it`s empty, but I will go back to Kerastase again or try hair oil combined with a regular styling product that actually styles the hair, which this really doesnt.

Love this stuff. I got a really bad haircut with unmanageable layers, and then had to go a lot shorter than I like in order to fix it. I am inept with hair products and blow dryers. Potion No. 9 really helps. I put a blob in wet hair and by the time it air dries, my hair is shiny and looks like it has an actual style. My hair is wavy, pretty average in thickness, and has a tendency to frizz. This product eliminates the frizz and gives the waves some direction. I couldn't be happier! And it doesn't rely on silicones to work this magic.

I am not big on scented products, but I make an exception for Potion No. 9. The smell kind of reminds me of Biolage -- pleasant, but not something I want to be enveloped in. But it is not overpowering once it dries.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I can't believe this product has been around forever, and I only recently stumbled across this during a random websearch!!

I found the ~previous~ formulation at my local grocery store (the trial sized tube in a box) and really loved it! Then I went next door to Sally's Beauty Supply and bought their generic GVP version of this (about 4 times as much product for the same price). And I loved that as well. My difficult-to-please hair actually couldn't discern any difference in results. So I love them equally!

The ingredients are mostly identical and so is the consistency. The GVP has a better smell than the brand name product (Sebastian smells like perm solution at the hair salon to me!). Both made my wavy/curly hair absolutely soft, voluminous, and shiny with tons of defined waves. I haven't used a product this great in YEARS!!

Since Sebastian re-formulated this now and made it less effective (according to other reviews; or should I say "allegedly"?) thanks to Proctor & Gamble taking over this brand (how many good products have been ruined by companies and their re-formulations??), I will stock up on the GVP generic version at Sally's. Not crazy about the tube packaging, so I refilled it into an old pump dispenser I had from a long gone/discontinued ArTec favorite of mine.

I just work a quarter-sized amount into my wet/damp hair, comb through briefly to distribute the product, and let it air dry. Voila! Volume!

In the last year my wavy/ straight hair has started curling, especially at the roots. I was at a loss of what to do because I don't want to use heat on my hair everyday to straighten it, but untamed my hair is huge. I came across this stuff and my hair is transformed! I put a few pumps in after squeezing the water out of my hair in the shower, before I wrap it up. I also don't towel dry my hair, I use an old t-shirt. I heard in high school that a shirt would cause less frizzy than a towel and have been using one ever since. I leave my hair in the shirt for 15 minutes and then apply more to my hair when it's damp. I scrunch it a little, use a little hairspray and let it air dry while I do my makeup. This is so much easier and better for my hair than my straightener. It doesn't leave a heavy feel in my hair or weigh down my curls. It is a bit pricey, but for my hair that hangs down to my bra strap on my back, I use six pumps total. I'll buy this stuff forever, or until my hair changes texture again.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

I have no idea what has happened to my hair. Over the past 5 months my fine, highlighted, just below shoulders, dry, fragile hair has gone from a slight overall wave to spiral curls underneath and a strong wave/some curl on top if allowed to air dry...on a good day. I say "on a good day" because this has been like getting a whole new head of hair and suddenly having to throw out everything I have have spent a lifetime and thousands of dollars (I am a terrible product ho!) figuring out how use to get my hair to look good... products, styling techniques, finishing products...and now nothing I own works at all on my hair. I suddenly do not need a root lifter (I have about 6 of them right now on my shelf) unless I want to look like I have been electrified. The Cement Thermique by Kerastase that I spent a pretty penny on to protect my hair while blow drying almost daily is just hanging out, unused and getting no love because I am now trying to figure out how to make the most of these damndable curls that came out of nowhere! On a good day, I love it because if I can figure this out, I can have a no heat lifestyle that my fragile, brittle hair will thrive on! Living in a low humidity climate (Tucson, AZ) means that my hair is more prone to dryness, frizziness and damage from the elements, so unfortunately, my good hair days have been few and far between while trying to figure out these curls.

I have tried oils, Mousses, Gels, pomades...nothing was working with the curls...That is until I read the reviews for Sebastian Potion 9 and decided to give it a shot. I had tried it before years ago on my slightly wavy hair, and was unimpressed. Now you would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. This super slick orange creme/gel hybrid turns my hair into bunch of soft, defined silky curls. It helps amp up the curl a little in the places where it tends to be straighter, which gives me a much more even and attractive curl pattern. I apply a pump of it to wet (right out of the shower) hair then twist my hair up in a towel. After about 10 minutes I take it out of the towel, apply another pump and then use a wide tooth comb through my hair. I gently scrunch it up so that the curl pattern pops back up and allow it to air dry with very little disturbance. I even turn off my ceiling fan as that seems to change the way it dries. I will scrunch a few more times but that is really all, and the curls are shiny, smooth and boucy. The scent is faintly orange/citrus, but I do not notice it much after it has dried. My curls will last for a couple of days, with a spritz of water on day two and a little scrunching to bring them back to life. The condition of my hair has greatly improved, because of this product and the lack of heat being used on my hair. I cannot see any splits, and the amount of breakage is dramatically reduced, which I am thrilled with. If you are a curly/wavy hair girl, especially with fine hair that gets weighed down easily, please give this a shot. It is expensive, which it the only con I have for this product. HG status at this point.

Popular Styling Products