August 30, 2014 | 1182 users online

Cleansers - Avene - Rinse-off Gel Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 10/3/2013 6:29:00 PM More reviews by MissLulu1

Great cleanser but to remove all makeup I have to do a double cleanse by massaging into my face, rinse then repeat process. My skin is super sensitive but this cleanser is gentle and creamy leaving my skin feeling soft and clean.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/29/2013 8:42:00 PM More reviews by northerngal100

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I generally love Avene, but I was not thrilled with this product. I think that the cleanser would be great for oily/combo skin, but it just shredded my skin (maybe my own fault for venturing out of the milk cleanser territory). I am also not a fan of the scent. Anything labelled for sensitive skin that has a scent makes me wonder....The packaging isn't the best either - which is odd because I generally find avene to have sturdy packaging.

Although It is very drying, it did seem to do an okay job at removing makeup. I do use a micellar as well, so perhaps that helped it along.

Anyway, sadly this stuff is going to be given away or gather dust in the back of the medicine cabinet until I can bring myself to throw it away. Dry skinned ladies, stay away!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/29/2012 10:04:00 AM More reviews by qingdao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I suffered horrendous skin reactions to this cleaser. I ended up having to use tropical steroid upon my dermatologists recommendation. I think it has too much parfum in. If you smell it you can feel how strong it smells! If you look at the ingredients, you will also notice parfume is at the beginning of the lis. ! If it is for sensitive skin, why on earth put so much parfum in! I wouldn't like anyone to go near this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by NATBEAUT

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

i have acne prone skin that is sensitive and oily combination. Even though my skin isn't really oily, it gets irritated and breaks out easily if i use anything that is rich or heavy. i like this cleanser, it is very gentle and refreshing and doesn't dry out my skin. i tried many cleansers and find that i still prefer a milk/cream cleanser at night to remove makeup and the day's grime off my face first, then follow up with a wash off cleanser like this one. i have tried just using 1 step with milk/cream cleanser or just wash off cleanser at night to remove makeup but after many experiments, i find that double cleansing at night is still best for my skin. since i do a double cleanse the wash off cleanser has to be gentle and not harsh on skin and this gentle non foaming product does a great job. i use it in the mornings too for a quick refreshing wash. During winter i will switch from this cleanser to an even gentler one like Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser or Avene's extremely gentle cleanser.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2010 7:42:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this gel cleanser after my cheap cheap cheap Bebe cleanser was empty. I kinda liked everything by AvŤne so far. With this cleanser, however, Iím on the edge. It smells nice, it has a lovely texture and it definitely makes my skin feel good. BUT it doesnít remove all my make-up in one go. I either have to wash twice or use a toner afterwards and Iím not used to this routine. Iím used to washing once and then be done with it. So as much as I love the overall feeling of this, it doesnít exactly deliver. Will probably return to my cheap Bebe cleanser because AvŤne is, for not delivering, also too expensive. Iíll give it two lippies for the scent & feeling, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2010 11:20:00 AM More reviews by amatbm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the same as the Gentle Cleanser. First of all I hate the packaging, because to close it you have to get product out, and that isn't handy at all. That's why I took one lippie out. As for the product itselt: I like it a lot! I gets all of my make-up of except for waterproof and it leaves skin hydrated but not oily. It isn't harsh at all. Would buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2009 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Dawn13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Switched from the gel cleanser to this and like this one better. The gel cleanser indeed helped with blemishes, but also dried out my skin, which protested with producing more oil and, eventually, more blemishes (note: I have really sensitive skin that reacts to anything and I have been through the blemishes-dry them out-produce more oil-produce more blemishes-vicious circle half a million times with all kinds of products). Admittedly, this cleanser doesn't do anything about blemishes or the mild cystic acne I have, but it doesn't make it worse either - which is exactly what I want as I can deal with the pimples seperately with other products. It also last a while as you don't need a lot. I like it and will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/3/2009 3:45:00 PM More reviews by ballmam2000

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Nice simple face wash from Avene, leaves my face looking and feeling clean, not tight, after using their oily skin cleanser that left my winter skin feeling tight and dry, I wanted something simple, I've always liked the Avene products so I thought I'd give it a try, very happy with it, threw me off the first time I used it because it doesn't lather up but it does the trick, like to pump dispenser, overall very happy with it, will buy again

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 4:53:00 PM More reviews by ClariceD

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

N.B. This review also appears under Gentle Gel Cleanser.

This is a no-frills cleanser, efficient at what it claims to do. It removes everyday city grime and light make-up, but I tend to apply sunflower oil on dampened cotton wool to my face first to remove sunscreen, foundation, waterproof mascara etc. I then add two pumps' worth of GGC to a warm damp wash-cloth, massage my face for 30 seconds or so, wipe everything off and finish with a thorough rinse. If my skin is actively irritated, I apply cleanser with my fingers. This routine leaves my face clean and refreshed without over-stimulating it.

I'm not sensitive to this product in any way as far as I can tell, which is rare for me, especially with formulations that have fragrance. I use it nightly, with a milder product in the morning (Avene's Extremely Gentle Cleanser). I'm currently on a course of Zineryt (topical erythromycin and zinc for mild acne, caused by long-term medication), which is causing irritation and rawness. GGC seems to soothe the affected areas, ditto any adverse effects from benzoyl peroxide, and my skin looks calmer when I finish cleansing.

Overall it's well-formulated and reliable, with sturdy pump packaging that somehow manages to be borderline glamorous. I can name only two drawbacks. One is (its UK) cost - I don't like something so basic being an investment and am not convinced that the ingredients warrant it. As a 200ml bottle lasts me about 9 months it's good value, but I'd rather spend less on staple skin care items and more on treatment products if necessary. The other negative is that the GGC can be ever-so-slightly stripping if my skin is going through a very dry phase, when the emollient ingredients aren't enough. It's designed for normal to combination complexions, though, so there will be plenty of people within that target group who find it leaves the optimum level of moisture.

Ingredients: Avene aqua (Avene spring water), PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Sucrose Cocoate, C13 14 Isoparaffin, Carbomer, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed OiI, Ethylcellulose, Fragrance (parfum), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Laureth 7, Mica, Phenoxyethanol, Polyacrylamide, Propylparaben, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium DNA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Methylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethanolamine, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Zinc Oxide.
UK details: £11.50/200ml, from Boots.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2008 3:49:00 AM More reviews by calypso_nymph

I switched to this cleanser from Avene's Cleanance soapless gel cleanser cos I thought this would be more suitable for my skin. Cleanance was great but it left my skin slightly dry, probably because I have combi and not the oily, blemish-prone skin that Cleanance is made for. I've been using the Gentle Gel Cleanser for more than a week now, and I love it. It leaves my skin clean and soft, but with no feeling of tightness or dry / rough patches, which is what a lot of cleansers did to me. I have combination skin, with an oily t-zone and dryness on other parts. The skin on my cheeks is also sensitive, so I do get some redness after using certain products, but this did not happen with this cleanser. The fresh and light scent is very pleasant, and it rinses off really well. I also like the packaging - a push dispenser bottle with a cap that locks when you push it to one side - which I think is great for travelling (no more worrying about cleanser leaks in your toiletries bag). All in all, another great product from Avene.