October 24, 2014 | 1171 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - True Love

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2013 10:25:00 PM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

Such a soft gorgeous powder/floral fragrance that is nice to use daily. I love the fresh powder fragrance that is reminiscent of a bygone era. A fragrance that an Edwardian lady would wear. The soapy dry down is just chumey. Lovely after an evening bath. Very similar to Vicky Tiel's Serene or Ombre Rose, but in my opinion better. Lacking a star is the first spritz ... it's a little overpowering and requires 10 minutes or so to settle on the skin. Other than that --- LOVE!!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/21/2013 12:22:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

True Love...what a poetic name for a perfume. I'm such a cynic. I'll roll my eyes admitting I wear this simply because of the name. But I always say we don't wear the label or the name, we wear the fragrance. I can't let it influence me.
True Love is a powdery floral reminiscent of roses that are sweet and would not offend a baby. It's gentle, clean with a woodsy hint of spices, with a hint of vanilla, similar to Love's Baby Soft. It's sillage is soft and it lasts as long as I want it to. In other words, a few sprays will last a few hours. It's not earth-shattering or ground-breaking, but not all fragrances need to be. At times, softness and quietness is needed.
At times, I need a scent so quiet, unassuming and soft that only I know it's there.
There could be many reasons. One could be under the weather, one could be visiting someone who cannot experience strong scents, or if you are going to be in a tight area, this is a good choice.
True Love also reminds me of babies, in a good way. It's a good choice to wear around very little ones if need be. This just fits the bill for a perfume lover that always wants to wear something but at times is limited in their choices.
I love perfume and always have. My daughter, on the other hand, wears two and owns only those two. (How could I have raised this anomaly?) When I visit her, she sniffs me and makes her usual pronouncement. "What is that you're wearing today?" And I tell her, and she harrumphs.
As a matter of fact, I'm going to be a grandmother soon, and I've been told I cannot wear my perfumes around my grandbaby. (Sad, but true.) I've told her that I've already got that covered. She looked at me and asked how that could be possible. With a smile, I told her she'll find out when the time comes.
I knew without a doubt I would never go perfume-less. (The horrors!) And I know she will swoop in and smell me to check. (Like a hawk.) And when that day arrives, I'll either be wearing True Love or Love's Baby Soft, because both remind me of a baby's fresh skin, the delicate aroma of a freshly powdered infant, which will be my first grandchild. And that will sincerely be True Love for me. Seeing and holding my first grandbaby.
Top Notes: Apricot, Green Notes, Freesia, Peach.
Middle Notes: Iris, Orris Root, Jasmine, Heliotrope, Lily-Of-The-Valley, Rose.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vanilla, Amber, Cedar.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2012 10:46:00 PM More reviews by Olfactoria

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Sophia Grojsman is admired by many, but I've always found her scents kind of sickening, from the piercing astringency of Eternity to the lipsticky violets of Paris to the candied-apricot powderpuff that is Tresor. Until True Love, discovered on clearance at my local TJ's.

I consider this one "Tresor Lite". It's got that same powdery-peachy-rose thing going on, kind of an old-fashioned face-powder accord, but with a lot more softness and freshness. I sprayed it into the air a couple times and walked away, sure I wouldn't like it that much for $8 a bottle. After five minutes or so, it settled into the most glorious halo of silky-soft roses that reminds me of fine English soaps and lotions. It worked the same magic on my skin. One of the loveliest rose scents I've encountered. Very, very pretty and delicate. Big thumbs up!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2011 6:15:00 AM More reviews by arwynundomiel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Other descriptions online have said True Love is an Oriental scent with watery white florals. The main notes include lotus, jasmine, iris, sandalwood and musk, and I think they went a little overboard on the latter. Although the perfume is inoffensive at first whiff, it has a heaviness to it. It's definitely substantial, and if you're looking for a statement perfume, this one might work for you. I really do like it in small amounts, but too much and it invites a headache with a touch of nausea. There are two points in its favor, the first of which is the perfume lasts quite a long time. It wears off after about 12 hours, so a bottle will go a long way. Second, it's not really expensive. There are discount perfume sites all over the web now, making shopping on a budget much easier. True Love is a fairly standard perfume, not an olfactory disaster, but also nothing really unique. Elizabeth Arden may have missed the mark on this one, but there are plenty of other perfumes in the family that I absolutely love.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2011 3:56:00 AM More reviews by CaittFraser

When becoming interested in fragrances a few years ago my mother chucked me a 30mL bottle of True Love to "kick off" my collection as it was a gift to her and she doesn't often wear perfumes. I loved it, absolutely stunning smell and lasted a long time. It became my signature scent. As I began to run out I started using it less frequently as to savour the scent until I saw a 100mL bottle in my local chemist for only 15$ I grabbed it, but I was suprised to see that although it was the same smell it wasn't as nice as my previous bottle. I'm hoping this perfume may become better with age but it's still gorgeous.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/12/2010 1:34:00 PM More reviews by CandyApple85

I bought this looking for a soft and light fragrance to wear at home, around my baby boy - nothing too strong for his sake! I've had a few elizabeth arden frags and found them very light and not too long lasting so thought i would try true love - i got a huge bottle for a tiny price - unfortunately the cap broke as soon as i got it home - not too impressive. The bottle is very dated and IMO quite cheap looking.
I'm not too keen on this fragrance after a months wear - it has an unpleasantly powdery and musty edge that overpowers any other note. It wears off the skin very quickly, but can still be detected on clothes all day - not a particularly pleasant scent to me. Sharp and Citrussy on top, musty on the drydown. I wouldn't buy this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/8/2010 7:43:00 PM More reviews by kdm1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I seem to remember this fragrance being much nicer than the bottle I bought. Another reviewer mentioned that the fragrance had a synthetic smell. I agree. It is not terrible and I think it smells better on clothing than directly on the skin. This is still a "no go" for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by sherrier

This is such a wonderful perfume...not sure why I don't wear it more. I use to wear this years ago, then I went on to other perfumes. I came across this on ebay a little while ago and thought why not, it was inexpensive. So now that the weather is getting warmer, this is perfect. It is not heavy, just a nice feminine smell. I can wear this to the office and not be afraid of making anyone sick. I get some floral but not much. I really don't like heavy florals, they just don't work on me. This also has a nice sweet powdery smell on me. The only thing I don't like is the bottle...it's a flat oval shape that is hard for me to hold on but I can deal with that.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/1/2009 5:53:00 AM More reviews by maayah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

my boyfriend gave me this (i think he randomly bought it online with his perfumes). i was opening it and quite excited but i think when i sprayed it his expression was more "ewww" than mine. lol i was still trying to appear happy and did say its nice and he said well i know u dont like it coz i dont like it either! so that was the end of it. i found it too strong for my taste i like simple subtle floral breezy fragrances. although after reading all the positive reviews maybe i should give it a second sniff. hmmm

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2009 11:35:00 AM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I went to stay with friends of the family in Ireland in my early teens and the girl whose room I stayed in wore TRUE LOVE each and every day, as the relative who bought it for her also stayed at the house.

Itís a lovely, soft, feminine mix of peach and rose, with a gentle powdery backdrop. I admired it so much that she gave me her bottle. She thought it was old fashioned, but I find it very elegant and timeless.

Iíve happily worn it on and off from the age of 14. A shame it's been discontinued, it always gave me happy memories :(

Scent notes; apricot, green notes, freesia, peach, iris, orris root, jasmine, heliotrope, lily-of-the-valley, rose, sandalwood, amber, vanilla and cedar.