July 26, 2014 | 965 users online

Styling Products - Rusk - Thermal Str8 Protective Flat Iron Spray

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by blondebum

I apply this product right after i get out of the shower and my hair is still damp. It has a great fragrance to it and does not weigh down my hair. One of the things i loved about this styling product is that it did not leave a build up in my hair nor did it make it oily/stringy after a few days. I suggest this product to anyone who blow drys, flat irons, or curls regularly. You will love your hair so much more after using this product :)

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2013 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Elmo96

I got this product for free, and thank goodness, because if I had paid for it I would have been really ticked. I have color treated light blonde hair, so I try to be gentle whenever I use a heat styling tool. I usually forego any thermal protection when I flat iron, (which is done maybe once a month) and just apply a leave in conditioner after I'm done. Today I saw this laying in my drawer and decided to try it.

Well. It went on, and smelled, JUST like hairspray. It instantly made my hair sticky. I brushed it through and let it dry for a couple seconds and took my straightener to it. It didn't let my straightener run through my hair smoothly, and even worse is now my hair is dry and dull! It didn't add any shine whatsoever. It looks smooth, but feels like I dunked my head in a vat of hairspray. Yuck!

Only reason why it got two lips is because I haven't tried it as a styling product for curls/and or just a general hairspray.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/31/2012 1:57:00 AM More reviews by VanRaamsdonk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am not reviewing this product for it's intended purpose, but rather as a styling spray for loose, tousled (somewhat 'piecey') curls- think Victoria's Secret super model look. I have been repurchasing this product for 10 years now, and love it. Again, it's the best hair spray product I've used to lightly spray just before taking my 1.5" barrel curling iron to it. Recently, I thought I would find a replacement (I'll get to why later) and of the two hair sprays I tried (Tresemmé Tres Two Extra Hold and Rave Mega Hold) neither of them performed in the way I needed them to. Not only does this spray do what it says- protects my hair from split ends, but it also holds my curls for much longer than those other hairsprays, without needing to spray them again after I've finished styling. I use my curling iron on 400 degrees and I still manage to have decent hair. That alone tells me it's doing it's job. It's a dry spray, not wet or sticky. Some reviewers mentioned how it's crunchy. It might be "crunchy" for what one may imagine a thermal spray should be like, but just barely spritz your hair and hold the can about 12 inches away when spraying, and you should not encounter this problem. My hair is NEVER crunchy after using this product.

Pros: truly protects hair from increased damage from heat appliances (I use a separate heat defense spray to blow dry- Tresemmé Heat Tamer)- specifically flat irons and curling irons; gives excellent hold to hair without being stiff (I don't wash my hair for 3-4 days and I only use heat appliances after each wash; great scent (been using for 10 years and still love that scent); weightless, natural feeling hold (this is important because I love to 'whip my hair back and forth,' b*tches! ;-); keeps my hair voluminous and bouncy

Now, for the cons: it's expensive ($15.98 USD) and the dispenser clogs on EVERY can I've bought after 7/8 the way into the can. I used to do the hot water thing every time it would clog, but that gets really old. So, I just toss it when it gets to that point and repurchase a new can. I REALLY hope Rusk can do something about the way this clogs. This is an expensive spray, which I don't mind paying. However I would like to get 100% of the product out; not just 85%. If it weren't for the clogging issue, this would receive a 5 lippie rating from me!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2011 12:09:00 PM More reviews by shoewhore

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

As others have said, this makes your hair stiff & crunchy & in my experience, causes split ends! I would not buy this again, nor would I recommend it! It's awful stuff.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/21/2011 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Valinheels

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Omg!! I bought this product last week at first it seemed ok even thought my hair was sooo stiff when I sprayed my hair. But when I reached the top of my hair this sprayed BURNED my hair off leaving my hair brittle and frizzy. I don't know what to do now where I have slight highlights my hair is completely BURNED!!!!!!! I am freaking out. And I def DO NOT Recommend this product. !!!! What a disaster. I read the ingredient and it has ALCOHOL iNside !!!!! What do I do now my beautiful brunnete hair is absolutely ruined!!!! :(

rated 1 of 5 on 2/16/2011 11:07:00 AM More reviews by gcpecor

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I did not like this spray AT ALL. In fact, that is why I am on this website today, to find a highly rated flat iron thermal protectant.
This product left my hair hard and crunchy immediatley after application. Once I could get a comb through it to properly iron, it was difficult to do a smooth pass through. On one particular occassion, it damaged my hair. Fried my ends right up like singed nylon thread. Wish I could give it away!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2010 10:44:00 PM More reviews by aprilpinkbeauty

Another RUSK product thats extremely disappointing. Makes my hair feel hard and crunchy like I sprayed it with hairspray then flat ironed it. Got it for free when I purchased a RUSK flat iron but I did price this product at a salon and its ridiculous! Can has been laying around for over a year without being touched so its likely I'll just throw it away soon. Will not repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2010 10:12:00 PM More reviews by kowaii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this for 4 dollars from TJmaxx and I absolutely love it. To be honest, I never used with irons but I use it before I blow dry my hair and it works amazing...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 3:14:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

SUCKS....I dont know why i spent any money on this. it is nasty stuff. its what everyone has been saying--hairspray! makes my hair sticky and dry and gross, not sleek and shiny out all!! into the trash this goes...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 3:09:00 PM More reviews by rickisyed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

They have changed the name of this product to Rusk Thermal Protective Flat Iron Spray. I asked a salon professional about a product I could use to flat iron my hair with that gave me heat protection, and she recommended this. I hate this product. Its like spraying hairspray on your hair and then flat ironing. It makes my hair drrrryyy and crunchy, and feels dirty. Its exactly like spray sugar starch when you iron your clothes. Why did that salon worker recommend me this? she must be on drugs, most of them are usually ditzy anyway. urg!!!! Dont buy this, I took this back, and read the back of every styling product until I found what I wanted, Rusk Thermal Shine Spray is much much better, smaller bottle, but thats ok.