April 20, 2014 | 1349 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Matte - Honeylove

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2014 1:00:00 PM More reviews by susiej

For those of you in the UK this is a bit of an embarrassing admission but I actually bought this lipstick after reading one of the girls on TOWIE uses it.... oh I know. For shame- but I don't care really because in my book- if something looks nice, then it looks nice irrespective of any of the other peripheral factors!

The only other MAC matte lipstick that I own is Ruby Woo so I knew what to expect texture wise. I think the key to wearing pretty much any matte formula on the lips is 1. Preparation. For me this means going to bed with a really emollient balm on. 2. Less is more. The slightly heavier texture means it doesn't really ever dissipate in the way that a more gel formula would so you can be left with ghastly cakey looking lips where it has gathered.

So the colour of Honeylove is a sort of ever so slightly washed out 'brick' shade. It's medium/pale and when combined with the pink of your own lips (depending obviously on your pigmentation) it makes for a slightly warm nude. It's not a MLBB nude though, it definitely looks like you are wearing lipstick. On me it isn't a lipstick that I can wear with a bronzey look or a colourless look- I need a bit of colour on my cheeks to stop it washing me out. Combined with some definition on the eyes and cheeks it can look quite polished and chic. It lasts well. If I smudge it in with my finger, blot, smudge in again, I can get a good four hours out of it.

I'm giving Honeylove a 4 simply because it lacks a bit of versatility. I have to think a bit about what else is going on with my face and I have to make sure that my lips are in peak condition for it- but all that taken into account I consider it a worthwhile buy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 10:21:00 PM More reviews by wendycoco

This lipstick comes off orange on me. So sad :(. I don't see how people say it's a brown pink colour.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by dirtyblondeee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have used almost this entire tube and that NEVER happens with me (total lipstick junkie!!) I wanted a matte nude that wouldn't make me look like a corpse and this is perfect! I wear it literally just about every day and it looks amazing and lasts a realllllly long time on. I pair it with Stripdown lip liner sometimes, but it also looks great on its own. the ONLY drawback is sometimes it can end up looking a little "concealer mouth" but that depends what I'm doing with the rest of my makeup. I would buy this again in a heartbeat.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/10/2014 1:48:00 AM More reviews by asherzoby

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

i heard so much about MAC lipsticks that i want to love this.
But sorry, i can't! it just does not look right sitting on my lips. Perhaps the colour is too beigey or strong and the texture is not right. This makes it look like i smeared some crayon on my lips which is NOT the look i am going for. The colour is also too stark against my asian NC 25 skin. I am chinese with yellow skin tones so perhaps that is why?
That being said, i have a friend who loves this shade and she's chinese just fairer (perhaps NC 20) so maybe it will work if you are lighter and have those gorgeous pale skintone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2014 8:34:00 PM More reviews by NinaSun

One of my all time favorite MAC lipsticks! The formula is so smooth and creamy and goes on seamlessly. It's not completely matte but not luster either, which I like, and feels great on the lips. THe color is also a very flattering shade of nude - not too peach but not too brown, just the right in between. This would look great on a lot of skintones, especially light - darker medium.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2013 8:24:00 PM More reviews by Samdoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Use this everyday! I love having a glowy skin look so a matte neutral rosy beige lipstick like Honeylove is perfect for a contrast texture and the rose undertone brightens my complexion. It's not a drying matte formula which I found is the case with Please Me. It lasts fairly long and looks great with Well Dressed blush by Mac or Nars Deep Throat as it brings out the pink tones of those shades even more. Any cons? Hmmm.....maybe it can sink into the lines when I haven't had time to use lip balm. But that's not a huge con.....I still love Honeylove! I have had mine for about 4 months and have used up about 3/4 of it so I'll definitely repurchase this when finished : )

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by beautyjunkie2012

Honey Love had to come home with me after I applied it in-store. Cork lipliner first to line my lips (smudge it out) then the lipstick. With a touch of clear lipglass in the center of my lips....an instant hit! A perfect fit for my nc45 skintone. It features a slight peach undertone once it settles on my lips. I'm happy and confident with this lippie and I will definitely re purchase it.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2013 10:15:00 AM More reviews by kamberc94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I honestly have a love hate relationship with this. I hated it at first, I couldn't get a good application or anything. Eventually I figured out the trick. Now I can't seem to find it :( I hope I find it soon.... I might buy it again if I can't but I have yet to decide. Mattes tend to be hard to work with.

If you want this lipstick apply lightly, for me it caked on and felt thick and heavy. BE CAREFUL!! It's pigmented!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by expensivepink92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great nude lipstick if you have fair skin and it doesn't make your lips look dry or cracked if they aren't. Its nice to pair with a more dramatic eye or for an everyday look. I like to pair it with MAC's Stripdown lip liner and sometimes top it off with a gloss. Great, versatile lipstick!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2013 6:36:00 PM More reviews by ImperfectionIsBeauty911

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm excited to even write a review on this lipstick! I am half African American half white so finding a nude shade to look good with my skin tone sucks. This lipstick however has been passed around to all of my friends who range from as pale as it gets to very dark, looking gorgeous on everyone.

I feel like if you are going to buy your first MAC lipstick, this is a good one to go for! I have yet to find a skin tone it isn't gorgeous with. Plus I will always get compliments on my lips when wearing this color so that's a major plus ;) Perfect for a smokey eye or any makeup look. Buy it- you wont be sorry!!