December 22, 2014 | 1642 users online

Fragrances - Bob Mackie "Mackie" EdT

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2014 3:15:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Thick and syrupy, a fragrance born from yesteryear, Mackie is not for the inexperienced. Mackie is full, rich and quite enjoyable.
Bodacious with rich spices and bountiful florals, wearing this fragrance will garner compliments and render you helpless in constantly wanting to sniff your wrists. This is a relatively inexpensive fragrance that goes unnoticed on store shelves, yet should be snatched up for its delicious aroma.
The initial blast is forceful. Be careful when you spritz this wonderful juice on yourself. One spray on your wrist, then whooshed through your hair will get you through hours of a delightful vintage-smelling perfume at an equally delightful price.
Peach steals the show continually, along with a ripe fruit scent while the florals wrap around the sides as if you're walking down a blooming garden spring path. Sweet patchouli, warm sandalwood and a sensuous musk complete Mackie with a very gentle powdery finish to make this a cozy perfume to reach for over and over again during the cool winter months.
You'll be pleasantly surprised upon awakening the next morning to sniff traces of lingering Mackie. It's a perfume that stays with you. That's an added bonus for the price. Mackie has that old-fashioned feel to it because it is a full-bodied perfume.
It's not light, it's not fruity, it's not a pear/plum compote with synthetic vanilla tossed on top that dissipates in an hour or two. Does that make Mackie dated? Not at all. It simply makes this a worthwhile addition to your collection. It makes spending your money on a bottle of perfume worthwhile. Why? Because it's a perfume that has lasting power, it's a perfume that is different and it's a perfume that has oomph to it. You won't find many wearing this and that's a good thing. You'll stand out smelling intoxicating.
Mackie stands up to the heavy-hitters of times past. Paloma Picasso, Opium and Poison are all strong perfumes from those decades past and are still going strong. Mackie is a keen competitor and is also still being worn.
This is sweet without being cloying, musky without the attic, floral without the hothouse, spicy without Mediterranean flair. It's such a mix that is blended so expertly, so creamily that you can truly enjoy all of these notes together without any overload. Even the powder effect doesn't take precedence over anything else.
Top Notes: Pineapple, Raspberry, Peach.
Middle Notes: Tuberose, Orange Blossom, Narcissus, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Rose, Honeysuckle.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vetiver.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 12:50:00 PM More reviews by Therealslayergrrl

I wore this to my Prom way back in the early 90s. I don't remember how I got it then. Not sure if it was a present or I bought it myself. All I know is that I loved it. Its a sweet oriental. A bit spicy and very unique. It's been years since I've smelled it. I stumbled upon a few bottles at Marshall's for the low, low price of 9.99. I couldn't pass it up for that price!

It smells just like I remember. And I've honestly never smelled it on anyone else before. But I've been wearing it for the past few days and the compliments from men and woman have been great.. No other fragrance has received as many compliments as this. I'll definitely keep buying and wearing. Just hope I can keep finding it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/6/2012 7:45:00 PM More reviews by allureveil

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Reading about the staying power and sillage in reviews of Mackie, I decided to spring for some via Amazon. It's definitely an unusual scent, and unless I notice something special after it's been on my skin for hours, I probably won't wear it often at all. It's not unlike Estee Lauder's Spellbound in that there is a sweetness to it that is almost syrupy, it's so cloying -- to my nose anyway. I am always looking for major, kind of in-your-face, super bold fragrances, hoping one will work for me when I really, really want to smell over the top, outrageously good. This one probably isn't it, but I'm on the right track as far as the fact that this is one powerful smell!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2012 10:54:00 AM More reviews by cleo_satsweet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I like it. I bought it based entirely on the reviews and I have to say i do like it. Its nothing earth shattering but if I ever run out of my 50-smth bottle of other perfumes, I might use it up. For now, I just use it when I feel like using smth different from my lolita, samsara, opium and other expensive favorites.
Oh and I found it for $20 at SDM. It is longlasting and if you overdose, you might get a headache.
Update: I completely agree with the reviwer that said it smells like a stranger. It does not seem to mingle with my body chemistry like opium, angel, lolita or givenchy VI

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2011 11:12:00 AM More reviews by BeeBonnet

Wow, I'm a little surprised to see this one listed here as it's been hard to come by since it's brief introduction in the 1990's. If you had a liking for this and have trouble finding it these days, you might want to try Dior "Hypnotic" (red bottle).... to my nose they smell very similar.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2010 8:16:00 PM More reviews by Chamuda

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Very nice floral oriental with some faint smokey notes, which dries down surprisingly soft and feminine.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2010 9:57:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

Based on some super-enthusiastic raves I've heard on this website and on Basenotes, I decided to buy a bottle unsniffed, something which I rarely do. It wasn't quite the Holy Grail fragrance I was expecting, but I like it well enough. I just don't love it wholeheartedly.

The most interesting thing about Mackie is the mysterious combination of notes which I can't pin down! Other reviewers on this website have detected tuberose, cinnamon, apple pie, carnation, Zest soap, and Pearl Drops toothpaste. None of those really fit, in my opinion, but I'm hard-pressed to offer a better example of what it smells like. There is definitely something lightly sweet, lightly spicy, and personal hygiene-ish about this scent, but I don't know what.

I actually sniffed my entire kitchen spice collection just now, as well as several kinds of soap and toothpaste in my bathroom, in the hopes of identifying the notes that say "Mackie." No dice. Cinnamon toothpaste and tuberose is probably the closest descriptor, but even then, it fails to capture the full story. I have a feeling this is going to keep me up at night, LOL.

As for the bottle, its asymmetric shape threatens to tip over at the slightest touch. Don't keep this close to the edge of your dresser or countertop unless you have carpeting.

EDIT: Today I tested Burberry London, and I discovered it's quite similar to Mackie because of the vaguely minty, cinnamon-y white floral scent. If you like (or dislike) London, you'll probably feel the same way about Mackie.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2010 1:36:00 AM More reviews by ascopes

this was my highschool scent...yuck..don't know what I was thinking..it's a mixture of aqualina pink sugar and ysl opium...I found it a year ago at my local drug store and although it brought back fond memories, it did make me nauseous.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2009 11:17:00 AM More reviews by highrise

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Kept seeing this super-cheap at either Winners/Shoppers and was intrigued by the reviews and opinions on MUA...as I'm currently digging for underappreciated cheap thrills, this piqued my curiosity! Like many might, I'd thought that a scent by Bob Mackie would be huge, overblown and room-filling. It is a couple of these if you're not careful!

On me it is mostly tuberose, slightly restrained - I can see the Fracas in there but Mackie is more polite. There is sweetness from the fruity topnotes but it's not girly - there's an echo of LouLou but it's more mature. There is no darkness here - it seems anchored by a cleanish musk but the florals dominate in an entirely pleasant and daytime manner.

I rarely veer to florals, but tuberose is a favourite. This is perfect for office/daywear, pretty, and very affordable.

ETA: this ended up smelling too much like a stranger eventually; as if it belonged to someone else completely unlike me. Great if it suits you, though!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2009 2:04:00 PM More reviews by sophie_lapin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the only fragrance I have repeatedly purchased over and over for the last 15yrs.
It is a spicy oriental. If you like sandalwoods/ambers/tuberose, I think you will like this.
I get the most compliments ever on this perfume. No Joke.
You can find it occasionnally at TJ Maxx for 14$.
It is strong and lasts forever- don't wear to work.
Walk thru a spray-cloud and go out for the night. Men love this sexy scent.