Smashbox Off Set Shadow Converter

4.5

on 8/16/2012 8:24:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

What a shame that this product appears to have been discontinued. It is terrific for turning your favourite eye shadow into a liquid liner that delivers intense colour and lasts all day. The dropper makes this easy to use (I don't drop it right onto my shadows; rather, I drop it into a small jar or jar lid and wet my liner brush and work from there). It doesn't seem to change the shadow in your pan but I still make a point of always using the same small area of my shadows rather than wetting the whole surface. This can also work well to make a less than ideal shadow show up better - just use more of the liquid and a flat shadow brush like MAC 239, rather than something like the 217 or 224 - to apply the "paste" that results. Lise Watier still makes a similar product called Metamorfix, which comes in a bottle like eye drops and is wonderfully easy and practical to use.

on 2/26/2009 12:24:00 PM

I asked for this in a swap since I like the concept. I've had it over a month and just got around to using it. The claim: "Off Set converts any powder shadow into eyeliner. Yesterday's eye color becomes today's hottest waterproof eyeshadow and eyeliner in an instant." This converts your eye shadows into smudge proof gel liners. I love it. I buy things on impulse, and eye shadows are no exception so I have many colors laying around that I can use this product on. To use: I place a drop on the back of my hand. Then, I dip my liner brush into it and then into the shadow. I then draw the perfect smudge-proof line that lasts all day. I love the glass bottle it comes in with a dropper to dispense the perfect amount of product. Off Set also washes complete out of your brushes and leaves then totally free of makeup. This product surpassed all my expectations.

on 1/8/2009 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Throw away all those pencils that tug or you have to light. Are you one of those gals that just LOVE to buy different liners because they LOOK GOOD? Well, if you have stashes and stashes or funky eyeshadows (wait, STASHES of eyeshadow? Makeup alley gals? Pshaaaw, say it isn't so!)...then this is all you need! It's actually two fold, can use for your eyeshadows as a liner OR even use to FOIL your frosty shadows! I got one in a swap and HAD to get another one! A little goes a long way! Now I can wear blues, greens, purples, etc., and not have to worry about buying pencil after pencil to find the "right" color.....

on 1/7/2009 7:50:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Great product, which I bought a while ago and put it away and completely forgot about it until the other day! I love using different eyeliners and to be able to convert a shadow into one is funtastic! I have tried it with bronzer and it works a treat. For asian girls, if you want a different bindi you can use a shadow and draw your design freehand..I am not good at doing this, need more practice. Heard this was discontinued, will have to try and stockpile as I've not seen this anywhere else.

on 6/26/2008 9:24:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

i was skeptical of this product but i figured what the hey ya know. i got it dirt cheap on ebay and decided it would save me $$ in the long run if it works as well as everyone says it does.
and it does! i tried my fav mineral shadow and i thought ok well this looks like exactly what water does,no big deal. then i tried to smudge it and it didnt move! i was thrilled needless to say. so i decided to try it w/ glitter and it worked the same way! the glitter didnt budge at all.
this is deff a great item to have in your mu stash,im glad i took the chance on it. i heard this was discontinued =( guess ill have to get a back up bottle from ebay!

on 5/26/2008 7:48:00 PM

This is a very cool product! I don't know why it got discontinued. It's very simple to use and effectively turns any eyeshadow into a smooth, creamy eyeliner.

on 3/7/2008 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I don't know who the marketing genius at Smashbox was who decided to discontinue this product, but it is miraculous. Instantly increases your eyeliner stock to include every eyeshadow in your collection! This has great staying power on my eyes and stays intact all day and night. I wouldn't rub it, though, I think it would smudge.

It does have one small problem. It kind of destroys your shadow after a while. It hardens it and makes it unusable for anything but using it as an eyeliner with this product, but that's okay with me. I have deep set eyes, so I just use a line of color along my upper lashline anyway.

But this is a superb product. If you can take some shadow, nick a bit off and put it on a surface, then open this converter and dip your brush in it, then mix it with the shadow, you will save your shadow.

I'm loving this, and have gotten two bottles so I won't run out any time soon.

on 11/2/2006 10:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I finally figured out how to use this properly! I had been mixing the powder and gel together and then applying it. It was either too thick or too thin. BUT if you dip the liner brush in the gel and then swirl it on a small area of eyeshadow, and then dot it on your lash line, it won't move. I put it on at 7:45 this morning and I just looked at it and it's still all there, no traveling, no smudging.
I love it, it's small, but it'll last me for a while. I got it last fall and I still have over half. It's definitely something to think about.

I really like the idea of this product but I can't get it to work properly, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong! Someone help!

on 6/22/2006 3:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I never knew I needed something like this until I swapped for it. Fantastic stuff. Like me, you might think water does a good enough job. Wrong! Off Set does a few things water can't do. First, it intensifies the color of your shadow in a way that water doesn't. Water just makes your shadow or pigment wet instead of acting as a true medium. The gel consistency of Off Set also makes it easier to apply the liner. Think Bobbi Brown gel liner vs. a liquid liner--the gel is much easier to apply, right? The most important difference, however, is that Off Set doesn't budge. Well, if you've got oily lash lines like me it'll probably smudge a bit during the day but it doesn't completely disappear the way plain wet lining does. My only complaint is the packaging. The tiny glass dropper bottle is cute but not all that practical. A simple tube would've been much more convenient and less wasteful.

Top Rated Smashbox Products