April 20, 2014 | 1302 users online

Fragrances - Coty - Jovan Island Gardenia

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2013 12:30:00 AM More reviews by RussianWannabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So I bought this hoping it would smell like a creamy coconutty gardenia perfume as so many others have said, but I just could not smell the creaminess... A sort of monoļ smelling perfume in my hopes. It smelled like an old woman; flowery, powdery, almost a little sour, not in a rancid way, just in a "red door" kind of way, at least to me. It really is a beautiful fragrance, just not what I was looking for, just not me. When I smell it, it reminds me classy old ladies with their puffy hair, pearl earrings, off white linen slacks, and butter yellow cardigan and shell. Will I buy it again, for myself? Probably not until Iam 75. On the other hand, I would consider buying this for a older lady family member/friend :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2012 3:05:00 AM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I went to the store with the intention to buy Coty Sand & Sable. Sand & Sable was $30 and Island Gardenia $11. I tested both and and fell in love with both the price and the tropical richness of this gardenia scent. Worn with a light hand it is classically feminine. Looking forward to wearing it when the weather warms up.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2011 4:00:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

I bought this on impulse because my local chemist had the small bottle on special. Having worn it 3 times now I can judge it fairly. This is a very pretty, sweet, creamy, coconut tinged gardenia with moderate staying power. it has more depth to it than a lot of cheap perfumes on the market and lasts as well as a lot more expensive gardenia based fragrances. Pretty florals aren't really right for me which is why I have ticked that I would not repurchase, but if you are looking for an inexpensive perfume that smells fairly true to real gardenias this is a good pick. Two times I wore it straight and it lasted around 4 hours on me. The third time I wore it layered with Jovan Musk and it lasted about 6 hours and smelt a bit more suitable for me. I will definitely use up the rest of the bottle (layered with Jovan Musk) but will not repurchase. If you see it going cheap do try it, even if it's not right for you, you will probably find someone to pass it onto, and the small bottles only cost around as much as a high priced coffee.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 1:11:00 AM More reviews by laviejolie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Great inexpensive perfume. I don't usually do floral fragrances, but I'm trying to move from the usual vanilla and other exotic fruit scents. This one smells great and lasts a long time. I tend to be heavy handed with it since it's so cheap but a little does go a long way.

Interesting that other people have said it has a retro vibe. I also had the same sense from this perfume that it's more classy than sexy. This is a great go-to perfume for daytime.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2011 9:52:00 PM More reviews by moyasimame

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love the scent of gardenia,I even planted gardenias in my front yard. Hoping this fragrance would smell as beautiful as the flowers. I don't know what's in it, coconut? And I thought it smelled like white musk too. Maybe my nose. I may like it later it happened before.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2011 5:04:00 PM More reviews by maybelle

I have a sample of Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, and this Island Gardenia smells like that, except a bit less pungent and with a tiny hint of coconut. I like it quite a lot, in fact, better than the EL one, but it's very strong, so I have to be careful about wearing it.

Now I don't have to go around craving that expensive bottle. : )

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2010 10:59:00 PM More reviews by staciarose22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

A very heady gardenia that needs to be mixed with other perfumes to give it some depth. This stuff is intense, so beware and smell a tester before buying it. I remember it from years ago, but I don't have a bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2010 12:48:00 PM More reviews by stacia79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It's worth another accolade for being one of the best summer perfumes as well. I buy a bottle every year. Don't waste your money on the Marc Jacobs or Chanel if you are looking for an exotic white floral true gardenia potion. Island Gardenia is the real deal at the low price of $10. Used *with a light hand*, this smells like heaven. It makes me think of classy ladies of the 1940s with flowers pinned in their hair. At times it also reminds me of the expensive shampoos and styling products used in my uncle's salon. If you love the smell of gardenia as much as I do, your search stops here.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/10/2010 11:17:00 PM More reviews by JenJenofAz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got this, 1.5oz, @Walmart, for $11.99. I remember this as it is, but I remember it being a bit more sharper in the opening, that I almost hated it because it was that strong. Smells quite the same, just not as strong. I think I'll pass on this since I like Sand & Sable SO much better! But this is nice. Just a bit boring for me and after all of the alcohol in the opening, I end up with a powdery floral. NOT bad, I just wanted something a bit more of a "beach" scent.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2010 4:31:00 PM More reviews by tessture

Doesn't work for me. First on, it's gorgeous, all clear and lush and densely white gardenia, but within ten minutes it fades to a classically moth-bally scent I know and dread from Gardenia and Jasmine. I can't wear this at all. If you can, the price certainly can't be beat. Quality-wise, I can't really judge, because Monyette did this exact same thing on me, all mothballs and peppery white blossoms. There would be no picking between the two with my chemistry.