Coty Jovan Island Gardenia

Price: $

Price: $

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this stuff! It's my daily go-to fragrance. I get compliments on it, and of course, adore that it's so affordable. Ironically, a close friend of mine smells divine in Sand & Sable, which smells awful on me. To each her own.

on 8/5/2014 12:23:00 AM

This stuff is a very nice gardenia/tuberose type of scent. Decently long-lasting, too. I have a bottle I've been using for maybe 5 or 6 years. However I just bought another bottle to give my mother as a gift (she goes nuts whenever I wear it). I tested the new bottle out of curiosity, and unless I'm crazy I swear it isn't quite as powerful or long-lasting as my older bottle. Still smells good though, and the price is right.

Of course, if money is no object, just go buy a bottle of Fracas, which is quite similar but even creamier and with a slightly greener note to it. Just gorgeous.

on 5/1/2014 4:28:00 PM

LOVE this stuff! It smells absolutely heavenly. - A lot of perfumes give me headaches or make me feel sick to wear, not this one! It's so feminine and lovely. While I see most reviews on this are positive, occasionally I'll see someone say it smells "old ladyish". Haha, I'm 27 so I don't believe that qualifies me as an old lady! ;) I think it smells classy, feminine and sexy.

That being said, I'm very much into vintage old fashioned beauties (Think pin up girls, Marilyn Monroe, etc.) and there is something about this scent that evokes that sort of stunning bombshell ultra feminine beauty. So maybe it's just all in perception, I smell it and think classy beauties from the 1950's, someone else just smells an old lady! Haha! It could also be how it works with ones' body chemistry though, as well!

If you're looking for a heavenly, super feminine gardenia scent, this is the one! For the price you just can't beat it!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

So I bought this hoping it would smell like a creamy coconutty gardenia perfume as so many others have said, but I just could not smell the creaminess... A sort of monoļ smelling perfume in my hopes. It smelled like an old woman; flowery, powdery, almost a little sour, not in a rancid way, just in a "red door" kind of way, at least to me. It really is a beautiful fragrance, just not what I was looking for, just not me. When I smell it, it reminds me classy old ladies with their puffy hair, pearl earrings, off white linen slacks, and butter yellow cardigan and shell. Will I buy it again, for myself? Probably not until Iam 75. On the other hand, I would consider buying this for a older lady family member/friend :)

on 3/25/2012 3:05:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I went to the store with the intention to buy Coty Sand & Sable. Sand & Sable was $30 and Island Gardenia $11. I tested both and and fell in love with both the price and the tropical richness of this gardenia scent. Worn with a light hand it is classically feminine. Looking forward to wearing it when the weather warms up.

on 11/15/2011 4:00:00 AM

I bought this on impulse because my local chemist had the small bottle on special. Having worn it 3 times now I can judge it fairly. This is a very pretty, sweet, creamy, coconut tinged gardenia with moderate staying power. it has more depth to it than a lot of cheap perfumes on the market and lasts as well as a lot more expensive gardenia based fragrances. Pretty florals aren't really right for me which is why I have ticked that I would not repurchase, but if you are looking for an inexpensive perfume that smells fairly true to real gardenias this is a good pick. Two times I wore it straight and it lasted around 4 hours on me. The third time I wore it layered with Jovan Musk and it lasted about 6 hours and smelt a bit more suitable for me. I will definitely use up the rest of the bottle (layered with Jovan Musk) but will not repurchase. If you see it going cheap do try it, even if it's not right for you, you will probably find someone to pass it onto, and the small bottles only cost around as much as a high priced coffee.

on 10/4/2011 1:11:00 AM

Great inexpensive perfume. I don't usually do floral fragrances, but I'm trying to move from the usual vanilla and other exotic fruit scents. This one smells great and lasts a long time. I tend to be heavy handed with it since it's so cheap but a little does go a long way.

Interesting that other people have said it has a retro vibe. I also had the same sense from this perfume that it's more classy than sexy. This is a great go-to perfume for daytime.

on 8/8/2011 9:52:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I love the scent of gardenia,I even planted gardenias in my front yard. Hoping this fragrance would smell as beautiful as the flowers. I don't know what's in it, coconut? And I thought it smelled like white musk too. Maybe my nose. I may like it later it happened before.

on 6/4/2011 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have a sample of Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, and this Island Gardenia smells like that, except a bit less pungent and with a tiny hint of coconut. I like it quite a lot, in fact, better than the EL one, but it's very strong, so I have to be careful about wearing it.

Now I don't have to go around craving that expensive bottle. : )

on 10/7/2010 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A very heady gardenia that needs to be mixed with other perfumes to give it some depth. This stuff is intense, so beware and smell a tester before buying it. I remember it from years ago, but I don't have a bottle.

Popular Fragrances