Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps

3.6

on 1/2/2015 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Love! L'air d temps is wonderful. Beautifully balanced,soft and spicy and subtle but lasts all day. I know this has a long history so people seem to associate it with older relatives but I really don't think of this as an older woman's perfume I think its classy and wearable for anyone.
I took one star off for the packaging just because I think the white travel ones are hideous and the new bottles with the clear doves aren't as nice as the old, frosted ones - really, why change a classic?
Also its cheap - really, really cheap when you think what a fantastic perfume it is and the history its got. You can find it for about the same price as a celeb perfume. I got a 50ml edt of L'air for 15.
Apparently this has been reformulated but the new one smells the same to me so they are still pretty much the same.

on 12/12/2014 10:27:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

While I was growing up, my mother rotated mainly between three fragrances~ Wind Song, L'Air Du Temps and Joy. There were other fragrances she wore on occasion, but these three were her top picks.

I associate L'Air du Temps with a woman going out for a night on the town with her husband. This is usually when my mother wore this fragrance.

When first spritzed, it is a bit cloying, but softens as it works its way from top notes to dry down. This is best used with a light hand, or spritzed into the air, then walk through the fragrance as it disperses and wafts to the floor.

Top notes to my nose~mixture of a woodsy, floral scent (woody floral could be the violet?) and musk. Middle notes~softer version of top notes with spices making an appearance. Dry down~floriental musk, and smell a touch of wood, amber and spice. The spice in this floriental is not headache and nausea inducing.

Bottle is lovely. It's a clear, spiral glass with two Doves intertwined atop the cap. It looks elegant sitting on a mirrored vanity tray.

Rating this with four lippies because of memories associated with this fragrance.

on 11/9/2014 5:31:00 PM

hey guys, have a 30 ml bottle of it.. Used just twice. If u wanna exchange it, lemme know.

on 5/20/2014 3:34:00 PM

My grandmother always wore L'air du Temps, and when we were kids, my sisters and I were on a waiting list to get the emptied bottles :) Doing a little research on eBay, I realized, based on the bottles I remembered, that she used both the parfum and the toilette. I've been feeling pretty nostalgic lately, and wanted to buy a bottle for myself, but many of the internet reviews I've read discouraged me and made me think the classic smell had been changed. A few reviews said that the toilette smelled the same as the vintage scent, but that the parfum was completely different. I went out today (Dillards and Macy's both carry it, btw) and tested them both, and right away the parfum brought back my grandmother's signature scent. The toilette, however, was very light, not entirely recognizable, and did not last on my skin more than ten minutes or so. Now, I was an 80's kid, so the scent I remember was vintage early 80's and not any older. But the parfum I bought today still smells exactly like I remember from childhood. The parfum was slightly more expensive at $70 than the toilette at $62. Completely worth the extra few bucks for a scent that lasts so well. Hopefully this review will encourage ladies with a wave of nostalgia to not dismiss L'Air du Temps without at least going and testing it for yourself. I am very happy with my purchase, and wow, this scent brings back so many happy memories!

on 1/19/2014 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

L'Air du Temps
I always return to this one. A lovely fresh, light oriental/floral fragrance. A true classic that is still relevant in today's world.

on 4/30/2013 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Sadly, very few so-called timeless classics ever work on me - I seem to be cursed (or blessed?) with the kind of skin, that works mostly with zeitgeist and the perfumes of "now and possibly tomorrow". Particularly badly my chemistry interacts with powdery scents. My skin kills completely the following perfumes, so much loved by many: Anais Anais, Fidji, Rive Gauche ( it takes some time, but there's always very little left of what it's supposed to be ) and L'air du temps is, sadly, no exception. At first there's powder, something yellow and a little green, and 5 minutes later - NOTHING. Just powder , if I shamelessly drench the whole arm with the tester at a drugstore in a fruitless attempt to experience the glorified beauty of this classic. Who knows - it is only the hype? Or is it my chemistry? Is it the new reformulation that is to blame? The end result is - I can simply spray air on my wrist, the effect will be exactly the same. If I come across a vintage bottle - will give it a go and get back with an update.

on 2/1/2013 10:40:00 PM

Get the edp if you can as the staying power is brilliant. What can I say, a classic, clovey carnation. Beautiful, feminine, unmistakable - wonderful, just wonderful

on 1/11/2013 11:07:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This was one of my grandmother's favourite fragrances, so I will always have a bottle in my collection for this reason alone. I also like the history and inspiration behind it, and the fact that it has been worn loyally by so many women since its inception.

I understand that this fragrance lost something of its essence due to modern reformulation requirements, and I currently only have a modern EDT version to hand. Its current incarnation smells like powdery citrus to me, quite sheer, perfectly pleasant, great for warm weather and pretty much any occasion. I can't see this offending anyone's fragrance sensibilities and I also do not think that this smells like something reserved for the mature set.

The reason I haven't awarded full points is that this fragrance only has very average lasting power on my skin and seems to go pretty much unnoticed by everyone. Once my bottle is finished I will seek out the parfum version in the hopes of a bit more oomph.

This classic is definitely worth a try, and probably a real winner for citrus and powder lovers who do not want an overwhelming scent, but simply a low-key, affable one.

on 10/22/2012 7:36:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Ancient, sweet and creamy.

Definitely not for me.

on 1/28/2012 9:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Top notes: carnation, peach, neroli, bergamot, rose and Brazilian rosewood
Middle notes:rosemary, carnation, gardenia, violet, orchid, cloves, orris root, jasmine, ylang-ylang and rose
Base notes: spices, iris, amber, sandalwood, amber, musk, benzoin, oak moss, vetiver and cedar
I disliked this fragrance for so long, despite wanting to like it, and repeatedly testing it, I thought it smelled shrill and headachy and then I tried the vintage.
Let me just say, that whatever yellow water they are churning out these days is not the same L'Air du Temps, the original fragrance by Nina Ricci.
What L'Air du Temps should be is a thick, rich peppery carnation scent with
a healthy dose of gardenia, and not really all that "airy" despite the name.
I also find the Lalique dove/ splash Parfum bottle a little "much", clumsy and awkward to open.
What I did come across online (and am very pleased with,) is a vintage Parfum spray tester.

that provides a big spray of the classic vintage scent without all the packaging. That
has been my experince with L'Air, If you can wrestle the original fragrance from all the subsequent branding and reformulations, it is sheer deliciousness.

Popular Fragrances