Nailtek Xtra

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

When I was a pre-schooler, I had a teacher who had beautiful, long hair and long, red fingernails. I had seen long hair before, but those nails! I had never seen anything like them. I just knew that someday I would have beautiful fingernails just like hers.

It wasn't to be.

All my life I have battled with my fingernails. Thin, peeling, crooked. Flat nail beds. Every time I tried to grow them at all, The would just peel. For the most part, I kept them short because peeling nails just look ikky.

I tried numerous different kinds of nail growth and/or hardening formulas but found they just didn't make a difference for me. I tried acrylics but they only made my natural nails worse. I was afraid to try gels because of all the negative publicity they have gotten.

On top of it all, I have Lupus, whis is not inherently kind to nails.

What's a girl to do?

Even though they were stubby and thin, I still enjoyed painting them and doing bail art. My husband brings me fingernail polish instead of flowers. And one day he was at Sally's Beauty Supply when he discovered this stuff. He brought it home and I Started on a brand-new fingernail journey.

After two weeks, I could not believe my eyes. My nails were growing. My nails were not peeling. They were getting stronger and growing straighter.

If you have ANY of the problems I talked about, you owe it to yourself to try this. 💅🏼

Just got it today because of it's mostly good reviews. I just used it on my bare nail with a base coat on top because of the chipping and peeling that happens.. Hopefully the basecoat prevents that, but one thing that's really not okay is the SMELL.. It has a really pungent, vinegar-y, smell that you can relate to sweaty socks x10 and it like gets in your mouth and makes your throat tingle... Its quite unpleasant so i'm hoping that it actually works for me because a gross smell and an ineffective formula isn't worth the $11 I paid for it..

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I bought this while I was working on a farm as a calf feeder. There were lots of opportunities to break nails, but the biggest problem was the amount of time I had my hands in water to wash bottles and buckets. I didn't even want my nails long, I just wanted to keep them from peeling and shredding. This product didn't really help, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt because I don't think I could have been much harder on my nails.

A year or so after leaving that job, I wanted to grow my nails out again and hoped this would help. I've always had problems with my nails peeling and getting little splits that get caught on everything, forcing me to cut them before they tore off. I figured I'd try using this product another time, but I was left disappointed again. And again. I've probably given it half a dozen tries at this point.

This stuff peels off my nails like crazy. Within less than a day, it starts peeling up off my nails, whether I have polish on top of it or not. But putting polish on top of it is just a waste because it lasts less than a day. Despite this, I was consistent with it anyway, applying it once or twice a day, depending on how much peeled off. With my most recent attempt to use this I had one nail snap off so far down it hurts, and I didn't even hit it on anything. It *just broke*. I've had 3 more have major splits in them that caused them to get caught on stuff and tear off partially too.

I tried looking up reviews on it to see if I was somehow doing something wrong, but I couldn't find any insight on that. I'm not sure how wrong you can use a product like this anyway.

I'm still looking for a product that will work for me, but this definitely isn't it. I'm not sure what I'll be trying next.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

This works well on its own as just a clear nail hardener, but it doesn't as a base coat. The very next day my polish chips using this underneath. But it dries fast and makes my nails glossy when I'm not wearing anything else. It's overpriced IMO. I found this at Big Logs for like, 90% off. If it was full-priced, I would have passed. There are much cheaper alternatives that do the same job.

Wow. I always thought I was a nail biter. Then realized that it was actually my soft nails. Every couple of weeks my nails would start to rip at the edge and I would peelit off.

I started using Nailtek Xtra after a recommendation from a salon. I have NEVER used anything this good. It isn't just protection, it is changing the hardness of my nails.

I've been using it for 2 weeks about 3 - 4 x a week. It doesn't peel off unless I put a second coat on without letting the first one dry completely.

I'm waiting to see how long they will get before they break. I am an event planner and they all survived decor tear-down.

I highly recommend you at least try it for a couple weeks. I haven't decided if I'm going to switch to the Nail Tek II later. This is glossy though and the Nail Tek II is a matte I hear so it might be better as a base.

Good luck!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this to strengthen my soft brittle and peely nails right after having acrylics done. I used to hate this immensely, it actually peeled right off my nails although I followed the instructions conscientiously. As a result, it was awfully neglected and banished to the back of my drawer. However, just recently I decided to try this out again and mind you, it was almost 2-3years later. The formula did not thicken much and I was able to apply this without much trouble. I used this followed by OPI Natural Nails Base Coat, 2 layers of nail polish and used this product again as a top coat. Every day I will apply a new layer. I am super impressed because my nail polish did not even chip. Usually nail polishes chip on me (or show tip wear) on the second day or even on the day I had a fresh manicure done. Also, I washed, cleaned and typed vigorously but no chipping! It hardened my nails and they don't break so easily anymore. Since my nails have already recovered from my previous acrylics, I am most likely going to order Intensive Therapy II or III instead of this. It works fantastically to strengthen weak nails and is also perfect as a top coat. It might not give that mirror shine that Seche Vite or Poshe give, but it is definitely glossy on its own too.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

This stuff has been a miracle. My nails were in horrible shape from using acetone polish remover (I was using glitter a lot and was impatient and wanted something to remove it quick... acetone works but it wrecked my nails) and then after they were already damaged I putting on fake nails for a while because my nails were so bad and that of course only wrecked them more. There isn't even an accurate description as to how bad my nails were afte all that... I seriously thought I had some how managed to ruin them forever. I quit using acetone polish remover which helped some but my nails still would not grow and would constantly peel and break. They were also very soft and weak. I found this and my nails started appearing in better condition so quickly that it really was just amazing.

I apply a coat, let it dry, put on polish, put on 2 coats of this as a topcoat and voila. Then every day I apply another coat. It helps my polish last longer and has helped my nails soooo much. They are starting to grow longer and stronger and peel less and less. They are actually feeling harder as well, even the parts that were significantly weak.

The key to this stuff is letting the base coat of it dry completely or your polish will peel/chip. I found that out the first time I used it, I immediately put polish on top before it was dry and everything had to be redone because it just would not set. But it only takes a couple minutes to dry... another reason I love it as a top coat to nail color as well. It doesn't take long at all and it creates a really nice shine. Right now my latest polish job has lasted about 3 days with very minimal tip wear which is just amazing for me. Usually in less than 48 hours everything has gone to hell.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

i have had tips since 8th grade lol im 26 now but this is my second time using nail tek. i used foundation 2 but my nails were way too weak and even then i did see some results but with xtra im seeing results immediately. the only time i felt a stinging is when i first took my nails off, which it did say dont use after taking them off. im just hard headed lol. but its a great product, even kept my nails from chipping. 5 days after and my manicure is holding strong. nails arent chipping and breaking away either. good job nail tek

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I bought this along with the Foundation II for nail ridges and neither worked for me at all. It chipped more and more everytime I washed my hands, and adding more coats seemed to piss off my nails even more. This was not worth the money. I bought Sally Hansen Miracle Cure and it fixed my problems so much quicker for a fraction of the price!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I went to buy Nailtek Foundation, but was given this instead. I first tried Xtra as a basecoat and my polish peeled right off my nails. Then I used it as a topcoat only and my polish lasted - not for days though. I didn't apply it everyday like the packaging suggested and have been using it a lot longer than two weeks. I used it just when I was doing my nails and that is about 2-3X a week. While this has made my nails stronger, it has not made them flexible and I think nails need flexibility so they don't snap off when hit the wrong way. I would not repurchase.