Stila #16 Double Sided Brush

2.7

on 4/8/2011 6:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This is one of the best brushes that I've ever seen come in a palette. One end is a sable fluff brush, basically identical to the MAC 213, and it's a great multi-tasker. The other end is a flat push eyeliner brush, and it works very well. Yes, the eyeliner brush is stiff, but that's a good thing...it gives a nice precise line, and can be dampened for wet lining.

No, the #16 brush isn't the same quality that you'd find in a full-size brush, but that's to be expected! (I can't think of any palette brush that I would actually pay money for.) It's fine as a travel/touch-up brush.

I balked at the $30 price of the Stila 8-pan palette, but the large mirror, built-in magnets, and this double-ended brush made it all worthwhile.

on 12/14/2006 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

The #16 brush, which is a flat liner on one end, and a small rounded eyeshadow brush on the other. The liner has quite hard bristles, and I find it too difficult to use for lining, but it's perfect for filling in brows or depositing shadow in my eye crease. The eyeshadow brush on the other end is a good all-rounder, but it's not great for blending.

on 5/28/2004 11:15:00 AM

Yes I will be purchasing one of these again with my next 8-pan, and probably won't be swapping it away since it is just so darn convenient for traveling. The wash eyeshadow end is really a decent brush and almost equivalent to my Mac #213, but I agree with everyone else on the eyeliner end, totally a waste. Still a good deal since this comes with the palette. But with how much the palette costs ($30) the brush should be made a lot better.

on 2/20/2004 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

The e/s end is ok. The e/l end is not so. Mine was splayed from the start adn it hurts so much to apply powder liner or creme liner with it. Also, I don't like how I cannot store it upright. If it didn't come with the palette, I wouldn't buy it for sure. One of Stila's not so great brushes like the concealer brush. But yet again it was free with the palette.

on 6/18/2003 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I recieved this brush with my 8 pan. The other reviews are right. The eye liner brush is useless! However, the eye shadow side is wonderful! It makes eye shadow go on so smooth. I wouldn't buy this brush seperatly, but I'm curious to try more brushes from Stila!

on 5/19/2003 9:55:00 AM

As other reviewers have mentioned, this is the brush that comes with the 8-pan palette. This double-sided brush is actually one of the reasons I upgraded from the six-pan, which comes with a very eeny-weeny version of this brush and is difficult to use because it's so small. But anyway, regarding the #16: I wish both sides of the brush were wider. The eyeshadow side is a little small to sweep color over the entire lid, however, it is ok for doing more precise work in the crease. I like the eyeliner side better. The bristles are stiff enough to do a nice crisp line, I just prefer that the #13 eyeliner brush has a bigger brush head to cover more of an area. Overall, it's not bad, although the individual brushes you can buy are of a better quality and more professional. If the Stila SA's are going to mention the brushes as a selling point (which they did in my case, telling me the two brushes would cost more than the case itself) I really think that Stila should take more care in putting the best applicators available in the palettes. (Hello, AWFUL Crayola paintbrush in the five-pan!) The #16 is a perfectly decent brush, just not up to the standards of the individual Stila tools.

on 1/11/2003 7:57:00 AM

This brush is average IMO. Since it was free with the palette, I'm not complaining. I haven't had too much of a problem with the two ends and actually do use this when I'm not around my other brushes. Compared to the quality of brushes that I had seen in their 5-pan palette, this is not bad at all. I do wish that they were a little better quality.

on 2/16/2002 12:35:00 AM

I cant stand the eyeliner end. I'm so mad about this too, because this would be perfect for packing, but noo...you need to take a separate eyeliner brush because using this one makes me feel like im gradually ripping layers of skin off. The other end is nothing to throw a party about either. Thank god it was free, in a way.

on 1/28/2002 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

What an awful brush! This is the brush that comes in stila's 8-pan compacts. Stila makes really fabulous brushes but skimps on their palettes. One side is similar to their #7 crease brush and the other is a miserable liner brush. The bristles are so sharp and hard it hurts to apply liner with it. This is totally different from the regular #13 push liner brush. I would never buy this brush if it hadn't come in the 8-pan!

on 11/30/2001 8:03:00 AM

I have to agree with Mayra and Tori on this one. They could really give you a better brush in this case, but then again I have learned that Stila skimps on the brushes in their cases. I like the eyeshadow side, but the eyeliner side is muh to prickly and irritates my eyes when I've used it. I wouldn't purchase this on its own!

JT