November 23, 2014 | 1113 users online

Fragrances - Jo Malone - Vintage Gardenia with Cardamom and Myrrh

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2011 1:37:00 PM More reviews by queenofthenile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm extremely confused as to why Vintage Gardenia is listed twice on MUA. As far as I know, there is only one version of it. Vintage Gardenia has cardamom and myrrh listed in its notes, but they're not part of the fragrance name...make sense? What's odd is that the reviews for this listing are really good, while the reviews for the other listing are comparably poor...who to believe then?

Anyway, on to the fragrance. I LOVE IT. And this is coming from someone who has always found gardenia-based scents too cloying and heady, and sometimes downright nauseating. Thankfully, the gardenia in this cologne is so creamy and fresh, and not the least bit overpowering. And the spice and sandalwood give it an extra kick. I literally cannot stop smelling my wrist at the moment. I'm definitely getting a full bottle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2011 9:25:00 AM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

The fragrance I am reviewing is just called Vintage Gardenia - I'm not sure why Cardamom and Myrrh are listed in the name here, though they are notes in the fragrance, apparently - not that I can detect them.

I find Vintage Gardenia to be sillage-tastic, which is okay, as the smell is quite lovely. It's just a bit too stemmy, dirty and high-pitched for me. I find the prominent tuberose recognisable but just not particularly good for a personal fragrance, for me. I prefer the much maligned Prada Infusion de Tubereuse, which I find to be way better than reviews report. I'm also a huge fan of Michael Kors and Annick Goutal's Songes.
Vintage Gardenia reminds me very faintly of Serge Lutens' Orange Blossom - the earthy, fecal base, and Annick Goutal's Passion, for its middle-pitched and strong, creamy white florals.
It's good, and I think it's a brave take on the theme, but it's just not one I can see myself in currently.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2009 11:09:00 AM More reviews by Melloney

I adore this - wonderful gardenia with spices. One of her best .

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2009 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Kchild

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For me this is Gardenia/Tuberose nirvana. What a beauty. I could go on all day......but for your sake.....I'll shorten it a bit!

This is a tricky note for me. So often it's so strong as to overwhelm the senses to the nth degree. Also~it very often goes indolic which I just can't wear. This is none of those things. It gives you that much needed recognition.....that ahhhhhh.....gardenia/tuberose w/out following up w/the much dreaded Oh No......this is way too strong. This is present but not overwhelming in any way. It stands alone beautifully but also layers like a dream. I love it w/Creed's Virgin Island Water, L'Artisans Premiere Figuiere Extreme, Serge Lutens Nuit de Cellophane & Datura Noir. Musks.....dreamy. Ambers....perfect. Incenses? Oh ya.....I got the biggest bottle that I could find and I can't imagine being w/out this in my wardrobe.

Thank you Jo Malone........

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2008 1:44:00 PM More reviews by yshah0621

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this for the summer. I love the gardenia notes in this, but the cardamon reminds me of a chai house. It does smell like incense, so it is very sexy for a warm summer night. Works well with my body chemistry.

People have commented that they couldnt point out what it smelled like, not too floral or warm, but just a very light, feminine smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2008 1:20:00 PM More reviews by islandgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of the best gardenia scents on the market. It is very similar to Annick Goutal's Gardenia passion which I also love, but it is even nicer. It smells more tuberose than gardenia, as most of the gardenia scents do and this is my favorite one of those. The gardenia scent that is closest to the flower is Yves Rocher Pur Desir de Gardenia, but if you want a Fracas or Annick Goutal type "gardenia" scent, which are made from tuberose, to me, Jo Malone's is the very best of all.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2008 8:13:00 PM More reviews by Poppylovee

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is so simple, yet so unique. It's a gorgeous gardenia, but it's delicately enhanced with the scent of soft spices, which make it a sexier version of your typical gardenia. The gardenia still maintains it's tropical fragrance, but not in an obvious way. And although it has some spicier notes, it still smells clean and fresh and pretty. I also love how it wears as the day goes on; it becomes a softer, more sensual version of its original self. I had wanted to try Jo Malone fragrances for so long, but didn't get the oppertunity until recently and so far I've loved every single one!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2008 11:16:00 AM More reviews by ppksura

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

10 lippies for this cologene (if I can)..this is my most flavorite JM cologne. I really addicted to it, I love gardenia and Jo Malone can create this amazing combination with cardamom and myrrh, I recieved a 9 ml sample bottle after buying Lime basil cologne...after the first whiff, I returned to the JM counter and purchased a 100 ml bottle immediately. If you want to layer with other JM scent, I recommend Black vetyver cafe (very exellent), french lime blossom, orange blossom and nutmeg&ginger....forever love, love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2008 12:35:00 PM More reviews by krissybug

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I must confess that I have always been an intensley complex fragrance gal. With spring just around the corner, I have been desiring something simple and beautiful. I bought Chloe, a Saks exclusive, and I can't tell you how repulsed it made me as the day wore on. I have had my eye on Vintage Gardenia so Chloe was replaced by one large bottle of Vintage Gardenia and 1 small bottle of Pomegranate Noir. Gorgeous!!! I'm loving the fresh beautifulness of the Gardenia and when I am desiring something a little more intense, the Pomegranate Noir gives it that spicey, mysterious, sexy personality! Just a note, at first the PN does seem a little medicinal but that quickly passes. If anyone else has another favorite that they like the combine the Gardenia with, please write and let me know. I'd love the suggestions!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2007 4:58:00 PM More reviews by sissyfris

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After three days of extensive wear and testing, I am thrilled to admit I love this. Vintage Gardenia is pure southern belle- all gorgeous sweet top note with a unexpected, surprisingly tenacious base of incense and spice. I thought it would be like so many other gardenias and vanish instantly, but it clings, and you get whiffs of it even days later from your pillowcase, your seatbelt, your scarf. This is gardenia noir, not the usual sweetness and light version, and like the dark-sider I am, I love it! The cardomom made me nervous, and myrrh can sometimes turn on me, but this is perfectly blended and balances the sweetness of the gardenia beautifully. 2 out of 3 points for sillage and tenacity. A FBW white floral for me.