October 23, 2014 | 877 users online

Makeup Brushes - Stila - #1 Blush Brush

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2011 11:44:00 PM More reviews by Drita12

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I do not use this brush for everyday use because I tend to prefer a little bit bigger of a brush for blush but, I will use this one depending on the color blush I am applying or especially for evening make-up. This brush is good if you want a heavier precision application. I am actually surprised that people are saying this brush is made of straw because my brush is almost as soft as the #8 powder brush and does not scratch at all. I am wondering if maybe I have an older version...mine is 13 years old. Even as old as it is it has never shed. (Note: My brush has a silver handle too which may just be because it has a short handle, not sure)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2008 11:57:00 AM More reviews by tstgirl

i got this in a kit. yes it's stiff, it's too expensive for that kind of quality. mac 116 is much better. but if you have it and can't part with it, it's best to use stroking motions and it's not bad for applying bright bold blushes because it's stiff, it brushes excess color off, kind of like a broom which is useful. they said that the mac187 gives a light application for bright blushes but i think stila #1 gives more control as it's stiff. but of course we all like something soft on our cheeks.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2008 11:03:00 PM More reviews by GlassHandle

I ordered this brush from SNet and then came on here and saw the bad reviews and was like "Uh oh"!!

When I first got it, when brushing it up and down my hand it felt quite soft. Not the softest I have felt but not the worst either.

I was using a Manicare blush brush before this but decided to upgrade all my brushes. The reason I bought this was because it was a lot cheaper than the higher end brushes (probably helped that I got it from SNet) and only slightly more than the Body Shop one.

The first time I used it I thought it was crap! The bristles were so prickly and it didn't seem to apply my blush properly. It definitely felt much softer on my hand.

Then I worked out what I was doing wrong! With my Manicare brush, I was able to buff in my blush using somewhat circular motions and I was doing the same thing with this Stila brush. What I realised is that you shouldn't try to buff/apply with circular motions, the brush is designed to sweep over the cheek in more of a up and down straight line motion with the sides of the brush, rather than concentrating on the top. The brush has been designed with graduating bristles so as not to apply from the tip/top.

The brush is quite dense and even though you are doing an up and down motion, the effect is not streaky at all. It took a couple of times for me to get used to it and not to press too hard at the wrong angle (and get pricked by the bristles!).

Now I am able to apply blush perfectly! I think all of you who own the brush should give it another go and use an up and down sweeping motion with the flat side of the brush, not the tips of the bristle and you will get a great result and not feel that it is too rough.

FYI, I am using it to apply Chanel Irrelle Blush.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2006 11:15:00 PM More reviews by stephanie32082

Well, against my better judgement (and the reviews on MUA) I bought this brush because the makeup artist told me that the stiffness was perfect for convertible colours. So I waited until the next event (a month later) and I picked this up. I was surprised at the cost $39 CDN. I really expected it to be in the low 30's. Well whatever, I did pick it up and it was stiff (a.k.a. scratchy) but I could live with it. There were two major problems with it, 1. it shed a lot when I washed it and 2. the hairs kind of got a knot in them that wouldn't come out. So a month passed since I bought it and the next time I went to Holt's, I took it with me and the ladies there were kind enough to let me exchange it. My friend has this brush as well and she has no problems with it at all. So my advice, try it a couple of times and make sure you really want it.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/27/2006 4:20:00 AM More reviews by Happy_go_lucky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was pretty disappointed in this brush. It is really scratchy and because of the scratchiness, it picks up a lot of pigment. I've noticed my bathroom counter is scattered with blush pigment after using this brush. I wouldn't recommend and I'm searching for another blush brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2005 8:52:00 PM More reviews by slaysuwan

Ok. I have to say that this brush is on the stiff side. It is difinitely not as soft as other high end brand. However, the price is very reasonable compare to other brand like Bobbi Brown or Shu Uemura. It picks up the color from the pan. ( I use Stila brush only. It is the only brand that doesn't cause me any pimple.) The size of the brush fit perfectly into the pan. I use the flat size of the brush to lightly appy the blush on my face. The color shows up real nice and look very natural.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2005 6:04:00 AM More reviews by wongy74

This brush sucks. Too stiff. Does not get softer when you wash it. In fact, this is the only brush that has ever tangled when I washed it! I had to fricking comb it with a brush to get the tangle out. WTF?!?!? Chanel's blush brush is wayyy better!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/30/2004 7:28:00 PM More reviews by berrylemon

i dont like this brush! its stiff and the hair is not soft enough!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/20/2004 12:29:00 AM More reviews by lilone829

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i actually don't own this product, but i did see it at the store. thought i wanted it because it was stila so it had to be good. it was actually a really stiff brush. my origins one is way softer, even the mac 129. wouldn't buy it=T

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2004 12:34:00 PM More reviews by vixxin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Other viewers are correct, this is not a soft brush...especially when compared to Stila #21 which feels like heaven on the cheek. However, I prefer a stiffer brush for blush. I feel like I have more control than softer ones. I really like the size and shape of this one too, and I like the amount of blush it picks up in a swipe. This works very well for me. If you want a really soft brush though, choose something else.