Kiehl's Original Musk EDT

3.5

on 8/25/2015 9:44:00 PM

Musk with a slightly naughty edge ...a bit of growl from civet perhaps.
Simple and actually once the slight dirty edge smooths over, this is quite enticing and sexy .
I like it .

on 8/11/2015 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Oscar-winning actress Julianne Moore ("Still Alice") says in the new Sept 2015 InStyle, "I've worn this scent forever. It smells really clean, and I've never gotten sick of it."

In the new InStyle Sept 2015 magazine, there's an article about Julianne Moore, page 363, with her "must-haves" -- and there's a photo of a bottle of Kiehl's Original Musk Eau de Toilette (1.7oz is $43, I think it said) -- and then there are some make-up & skin products she uses as well.

[ASIDE: Years ago in another magazine, I also read that actress Kyra Sedgwick (from The Closer; she's Kevin Bacon's wife) wore Kiehl's Original Musk Oil, and she said that even after she couldn't smell it on herself any more, people would tell her she smelled good.]

So anyway ... inspired by Julianne Moore (I'm a huge JM fan), I pulled out and am wearing my Kiehl's Orig Musk EDT today. I'm sorry, I've owned my EDT (and the musk oil also) for several years but have never found this particular musk to be "clean" -- although other reviewers say they think it's clean also, not just Julianne. I'd even call it a bit "dirty". I find many other musks to be far cleaner (White Musk & Egyptian Musk, for two examples), and being a musk lover, I seem to own them all.

Kiehl's is a soft woody musk -- similar base to Coty Wild Musk, in my humble opinion -- mostly sandalwood, to my nose -- but with a light animalic note to it (think State Fair, barnyard, horseback-riding). And mine hasn't gone "bad" either -- both my oil & EDT have always had that animalic note, even brand new. It's one of the (sometimes polarizing) characteristics of Kiehl's Orig Musk, and you see that note referred to in many reviews, both for the perfume oil and the EDT formulations -- they both have it.

However, I do find this scent to be extremely soothing and calming to wear -- and somehow flashback-y too -- reminiscent of the musk oils I wore during my early 70's college years -- which are no longer available now. It makes me feel grounded, natural, and rather boho-chic.

This musk is a comforting, relaxing scent to me -- very basic -- sort of a hippy or a primal "back to nature" musk -- reminds me of camping & hiking (earthiness) -- or something an artist might wear. It's almost an anti-establishment, unpretentious, basic human animal scent -- and I can feel my nerves unwinding with every whiff. Ahhhh.

But I've always felt conflicted about wearing this scent in public, and that's why I've barely made a dent in either my oil or my EDT bottles. I'm self-conscious & insecure when I wear it around others -- due to that animalic note -- but since I've never gotten any feedback at ALL from people (it would help if I had) -- neither good nor bad -- I don't know how others are reacting. I enjoy that the scent puts me in almost an "ommmmm" state, and therefore gives me aromatherapy. That's my favorite aspect of wearing this scent -- the relaxation it gives my brain.

(NOTE: I copied most of this review from my review of Kiehl's Orig Musk *Oil*, which I had written a couple years ago. I've owned both the oil and EDT for several years. To my nose, the musk oil is exactly the same scent as the EDT, only richer and longer-lasting.)

on 7/10/2015 3:14:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Musk fornicates with fungal infected sweaty male crotch. Kiehl's Original Musk is born! Male prostitute serial killer scent. Trouble in a bottle. You've been warned.

on 3/30/2015 7:36:00 PM

I have purchased this scent a few times. It's absolutely fantastic. Quite sexy. I moisturize my neck and decoletage prior to spraying it. I think it lasts longer.

on 10/3/2014 1:13:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Just ordered my second bottle. I own many beautiful, rare scents but when I wear this I am guaranteed multiple compliments. I don't smell it on myself throughout the day, but yesterday the old turkish warehouse guy passed me at work (doesn't speak to me normally) but he came back to me, smiled and told me my perfume was beautiful! The secretary in my office is quite stand-offish, bordering on rude. I wore Kiehl's musk a few months ago and as I approached her desk to drop off some paperwork she looked up from her computer and said, "your perfume...it's good!" Massive compliment!!! ;) Strangers stop me repeatedly to ask what I'm wearing and my daughter loves hugging me when I'm wearing Kiehl's musk. It must work well with my chemistry. It is slightly masculine, but not cloying. It melds well with the skin and smells instantly warm. I have tried many musks in the past, but this is the only one that garners compliments and actually smells like clean human skin. I like it year 'round, but in the winter it smells divine when you take off your coat and the scent wafts up. Very comforting without the typical syrupy vanilla in so many cold weather fragrances. Definitely a scent to try.

on 8/22/2014 8:25:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I don't know whether this just does not suit my PH but I got this with anticipation as I like musky earthy scents. Upon first spraying this I thought it smelt nice but after a few minutes it smelt like sweaty hair, like when you have been ill and haven't washed your hair for a few days and you have been sweating. Mixed with the sweat I could smell Brylcreem mixed with rose which is not very appealing. It does get slighter better with the drydown but still don't think its for me.

on 7/21/2014 1:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've been wearing this perfume almost daily since the day I was finally able to afford to buy myself perfume from a place that didn't also sell vitamins.

I like musky and earthy fragrances in general, but I think what originally drew me to this is that it reminds me of a bottle of perfume that sat on my aunt's dresser in the late 1970s. I have zero idea what it was but it was in a bottle that was shaped like a frog and as a kid I would climb up on the dresser and dab it all over me.

I have smelled this on other people and did not like it, perhaps it's the way it mixes with your own natural scent that can 'make it' or 'break it' for you. I didn't buy this for men to smell me (as I have with other more fruity/spicy scents), but oddly enough it's men that get all giddy when they sniff it. I don't really detect the rose, I smell mostly musk, patchouli and neroli.

I have always purchased the EDT because it lasts. I can spray myself with one spritz after a night shower and smell it well into the next day. I look at my perfume shelf and see so much stuff, but this I always come back to.

on 9/2/2013 7:06:00 PM

Everything to say about this EDT has already been said (side note: man, MUA fragrance reviews can get downright poetic!), but I just wanted to add my 5 lippies to the record. I was in the market for a new fragrance to wear on my wedding day, and as usual I had a set of laughably contradictory criteria: earthy but airy, light but kind of dark, etc. I was already at Kiehls buying lotion, and gave this a sniff and it was PERFECT. A week later, I've been wearing this every day and wondering where it's been all my life. On me it's a light, powdery musk with a slight floral edge to it. Smells very classic, but somehow avoids "grandma" territory. Also it lasts longer than any other perfume I've ever worn, and never turns sharp or sour after a full day, like some other scents do. I love it. I can't wait to smell gorgeous on my wedding day in this stuff. And at $43 (not even on sale), this is the most affordable EDT I own. Go figure, since Kiehls is usually a splurge.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I was at the Kiehls store to look at their skin care and decided for the sake of it to spray this perfume on. Now let me tell you I am definately not a big musk fan, finding them far too strong/migraine inducing. This one however was love at first sniff. It is not horribly strong like how I find YSL's Opium, the musk seems to be balanced somewhat but not overpoweringly so by soft floral notes which soften the musk somewhat. It lasts all day on me and it is relatively cheap (I think about $90 nzd? Not too sure you'll have to look it up yourself!)

It reminds me of the 1920's during prohibition. Like a beautiful dark haired flapper girl at night walks to an underground gambling den where it is filled with wonderfully scented cigars, beautifully dressed gangsters and illicit moonshine. The reason it reminds me of this is because the scent has a masculine smell (I don't know why cigars remind me of men, they just do!) and is offset somewhat by a soft floral (the scent worn by the flapper girl).

Love it! Such a classic, mature scent. I love to layer it with something super girly and sweet to create a complex contrast. It really makes my other perfumes more rich and nuanced when layered together.

Popular Fragrances