September 19, 2014 | 823 users online

Fragrances - Kiehl's - Original Musk EDT

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2014 8:25:00 AM More reviews by Bettyboo1969

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't know whether this just does not suit my PH but I got this with anticipation as I like musky earthy scents. Upon first spraying this I thought it smelt nice but after a few minutes it smelt like sweaty hair, like when you have been ill and haven't washed your hair for a few days and you have been sweating. Mixed with the sweat I could smell Brylcreem mixed with rose which is not very appealing. It does get slighter better with the drydown but still don't think its for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by april1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been wearing this perfume almost daily since the day I was finally able to afford to buy myself perfume from a place that didn't also sell vitamins.

I like musky and earthy fragrances in general, but I think what originally drew me to this is that it reminds me of a bottle of perfume that sat on my aunt's dresser in the late 1970s. I have zero idea what it was but it was in a bottle that was shaped like a frog and as a kid I would climb up on the dresser and dab it all over me.

I have smelled this on other people and did not like it, perhaps it's the way it mixes with your own natural scent that can 'make it' or 'break it' for you. I didn't buy this for men to smell me (as I have with other more fruity/spicy scents), but oddly enough it's men that get all giddy when they sniff it. I don't really detect the rose, I smell mostly musk, patchouli and neroli.

I have always purchased the EDT because it lasts. I can spray myself with one spritz after a night shower and smell it well into the next day. I look at my perfume shelf and see so much stuff, but this I always come back to.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 7:01:00 PM More reviews by Tigerlilyfeet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm not a big musk perfume lover, even though I adore NR for Her and few other floral woody musk perfumes. But mostly I've always been drawn to either spicy vanilla oriental scents, or floral oriental scent category wise. I love this one though, it's such a simple and easy to wear musk. It's the perfume I reach for when I don't want to think to much about what perfume to wear, it can be sensual or office friendly in my opinion. I also love the perfume oil and lotion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by TheShe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Everything to say about this EDT has already been said (side note: man, MUA fragrance reviews can get downright poetic!), but I just wanted to add my 5 lippies to the record. I was in the market for a new fragrance to wear on my wedding day, and as usual I had a set of laughably contradictory criteria: earthy but airy, light but kind of dark, etc. I was already at Kiehls buying lotion, and gave this a sniff and it was PERFECT. A week later, I've been wearing this every day and wondering where it's been all my life. On me it's a light, powdery musk with a slight floral edge to it. Smells very classic, but somehow avoids "grandma" territory. Also it lasts longer than any other perfume I've ever worn, and never turns sharp or sour after a full day, like some other scents do. I love it. I can't wait to smell gorgeous on my wedding day in this stuff. And at $43 (not even on sale), this is the most affordable EDT I own. Go figure, since Kiehls is usually a splurge.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by sabrinarose1990

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I was at the Kiehls store to look at their skin care and decided for the sake of it to spray this perfume on. Now let me tell you I am definately not a big musk fan, finding them far too strong/migraine inducing. This one however was love at first sniff. It is not horribly strong like how I find YSL's Opium, the musk seems to be balanced somewhat but not overpoweringly so by soft floral notes which soften the musk somewhat. It lasts all day on me and it is relatively cheap (I think about $90 nzd? Not too sure you'll have to look it up yourself!)

It reminds me of the 1920's during prohibition. Like a beautiful dark haired flapper girl at night walks to an underground gambling den where it is filled with wonderfully scented cigars, beautifully dressed gangsters and illicit moonshine. The reason it reminds me of this is because the scent has a masculine smell (I don't know why cigars remind me of men, they just do!) and is offset somewhat by a soft floral (the scent worn by the flapper girl).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2013 1:40:00 AM More reviews by ProductJunkieneedsherfix

Love it! Such a classic, mature scent. I love to layer it with something super girly and sweet to create a complex contrast. It really makes my other perfumes more rich and nuanced when layered together.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by zeynepd

I know that this is so darn sexy on the right person. However, with my body chemistry it turns into resinous dung. Sad.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/7/2013 6:31:00 PM More reviews by hotrocketship

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this a few years ago when I was temping in Palo Alto. I had come in for some skincare and saw the bottle. Once the sales lady described it as "your BO but better" I had to try it. I don't have a perfumers palate, nor a wealth of experience with musk-based perfumes, but to me this is a very gentle musk. Clean-smelling in the dry down, lasts a long time, and perfect for layering (maybe with Lush's The Olive Branch, por ejemplo). A good basic when you want to feel boho-hippie-chic, that everyone should try at least once. And the bottle...come on! Gorgeous stark lines.

This is the only perfume I've been followed for. I was walking around the grocery store and a man in his late forties/early fifties was following me. I gave him a dirty look before he came up to me and explained, "my wife wants to know what perfume you're wearing!", at which point I finally saw the middle-aged lady smiling at me. Try it and see who follows you!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2013 11:55:00 AM More reviews by Moonchitaa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This fragrance is pure, unadulterated musk. If you dont like musky scents or you prefer girlish, floral fragrances then you need to step away from this one as I guarantee you wont like it. It goes on very very strong- I get an immediate whiff of a masculine barbers shop- testosterone mixed with old spice, mingled with brylcreem. So far, this probably doesnt sound too appealing but give it time. It dries down to a very warm, sexy, sensual, almost adulterous, musk. Its powerful, sexual and dark. I would almost go so far as to say skanky. There is a definite undertone of skank to this, which I personally love, but I can see how others might find this fragrance just too overpowering, too glandular and dominating to sit with it comfortably. Its meant to be a unisex scent and I would agree with this- its musky enough for a man to wear and yet, its warmth and murky sweetness lends itself easily for women to wear. If you enjoy warm, musky, spicy notes then I am quite sure you will love this- it is the epitome of everything musk should be.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2012 12:54:00 PM More reviews by becca7

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I ADORE this fragrance for nostalgic reasons. It reminds me of my childhoods spent in a small snowy and festive Oklahoma town at Christmas and surrounded by my entire family. In other words, it puts me in a good mood. The nostalgia probably has more to do with the time period than the location since I keep reading others say that it reminds them of the 1970-1979 period as well. My older cousins wore Estee Lauder perfumes at that time and my grandmother collected every fragrance Avon ever made. Therefore I am not sure why this particular Kiehl's scent brings it all back, but it certainly does.
I love this so much for the above reasons that I don't like to water down the memories by wearing it too often. If it weren't for that I probably would, because it's lovely. It has a very classic clean and spicy scent and would be great for everyday casual wear.