Kiehl's Original Musk EDT

3.6

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am NEVER without a back up bottle of this. It's an interchangeable musk, and by that I mean that depending on hormones or skin chemistry, this one can go from innocent cuddly to horny tramp on the prowl in no time.

I find it deeply soothing and comforting, to me it smells like warm, soft skin, inviting and gentle.
But somehow, sometimes, it grows a mind of its own and morphs into the secret SO you never want your family to find out about.

I could see toting this around as a go to scent... Just think twice before you put it on before meeting his parents: It *could* stay nice, clean and PG rated... But it might not.

I find it more interesting than SL Clair de Musc, miles nicer than SL Musc Koublai Khan (which does reek of Eau de Goat Molester on me) and far beyond the league of most generic musks.
I wear the EDT or the Oil, depending on mood.
The oil will stay closer to the skin with much less sillage, though.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have many more expensive perfumes but I bought this because it was love at first sniff. I'm not a huge musk fan, but this one just seemed to have greater depth and a certain wild quality that I found hard to resist. I love wearing it to bed in winter - it is a scent that keeps me warm and soothed, like a cashmere wrap. For some reason I don't often feel like wearing it in the day, but for bedtime it is just perfect. It is pretty long-lasting too, sometimes I can still smell it on my wrist in the morning.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I tend to wear cologne for men as I am not a fan of anything floral. I also prefer a base of sandalwood. This is a heavier scent and maybe most would not like. There is almost no floral base (which I love) but others may not be able to handle the depth. The reviews here have made me laugh at all the references to the 60's and 70's but it is true. This scent would have been found in the crystal shops of the past however it still fits in today's time. It does last long but I use sparingly. I also use throughout the year. I will probably not repurchase since I like to try many different kinds of scents for men and the deeper, stronger women's scents like Boucheron, which is my HG. it is a 1.7 oz and about the typical price for cologne/perfume in the mid-40 range. I love that it is "Made in the USA". The label calls this a "love oil" but unless your partner adores the scent, it could go either way...best of luck.

Musk with a slightly naughty edge ...a bit of growl from civet perhaps.
Simple and actually once the slight dirty edge smooths over, this is quite enticing and sexy .
I like it .

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Best Actress Oscar-winner Julianne Moore ("Still Alice") says in the Sept 2015 InStyle, "I've worn this scent forever. It smells really clean, and I've never gotten sick of it." It's on page 363, among her "must-haves" -- with a photo of Kiehl's Original Musk Eau de Toilette (1.7oz is $43, I think it said) -- and some make-up & skin products Julianne uses as well.

[ASIDE: Years ago in another magazine, I also read that actress Kyra Sedgwick (from The Closer; she's Kevin Bacon's wife) wore Kiehl's Original Musk Oil, and she said that even after she couldn't smell it on herself any more, people would tell her she smelled good.]

So anyway ... inspired by Julianne Moore (I'm a huge JM fan), I pulled out and am wearing my Kiehl's Orig Musk EDT today. I've owned both my EDT and oil for several years.

Same conclusion as ever. I'm sorry, but I've never found this musk to be "clean" -- at ALL -- although other reviewers have said it's clean also, not just Julianne. Quite the opposite, I'd even call it "dirty". I find many other musks far cleaner (White Musk & Egyptian Musk, for two examples). Being a musk lover, I seem to own them all.

Kiehl's is a soft woody musk -- similar base to Coty Wild Musk, in my humble opinion -- mostly sandalwood, to my nose -- but with a light animalic note to it (think State Fair, barnyard, horseback-riding). And mine hasn't gone "bad" either -- both my oil & EDT have always had that animalic note, even brand new. It's the characteristic that polarizes Kiehl's Orig Musk, and you see that note referred to in many reviews, both for the perfume oil and the EDT formulations -- they both have it.

However, I do find this scent to be extremely soothing and calming to wear -- and somehow flashback-y too -- reminiscent of the musk oils I wore during my early 70's college years -- which are no longer available now. It makes me feel grounded, natural, and rather boho-chic.

It has a comforting, relaxing scent to me -- very basic -- sort of a hippy or a primal "back to nature" musk -- reminds me of camping & hiking (earthiness) -- or something an artist might wear. It's almost an anti-establishment, basic human animal scent -- and I can feel my nerves unwinding with every whiff. Ahhhh.

But I've always felt conflicted about wearing this scent in public, and that's why I've barely made a dent in either my oil or my EDT bottles. I'm self-conscious & insecure when I wear it around others -- due to that animalic note -- but since I've never gotten any feedback at ALL from people (it would help if I had) -- neither good nor bad -- I don't know how others are reacting. I enjoy that the scent puts me in almost an "ommmmm" state. That's my favorite aspect of wearing this scent -- the relaxation it gives my brain.

To my nose, the musk oil is exactly the same scent as the EDT, only richer and longer-lasting.

ADDENDUM: Per People magazine Feb 8, 2016, this is the signature scent of Gina Rodriguez (star of Jane the Virgin), who says, "This scent smells delicious on girls and guys!".

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Musk fornicates with fungal infected sweaty male crotch. Kiehl's Original Musk is born! Male prostitute serial killer scent. Trouble in a bottle. You've been warned.

I have purchased this scent a few times. It's absolutely fantastic. Quite sexy. I moisturize my neck and decoletage prior to spraying it. I think it lasts longer.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Just ordered my second bottle. I own many beautiful, rare scents but when I wear this I am guaranteed multiple compliments. I don't smell it on myself throughout the day, but yesterday the old turkish warehouse guy passed me at work (doesn't speak to me normally) but he came back to me, smiled and told me my perfume was beautiful! The secretary in my office is quite stand-offish, bordering on rude. I wore Kiehl's musk a few months ago and as I approached her desk to drop off some paperwork she looked up from her computer and said, "your perfume...it's good!" Massive compliment!!! ;) Strangers stop me repeatedly to ask what I'm wearing and my daughter loves hugging me when I'm wearing Kiehl's musk. It must work well with my chemistry. It is slightly masculine, but not cloying. It melds well with the skin and smells instantly warm. I have tried many musks in the past, but this is the only one that garners compliments and actually smells like clean human skin. I like it year 'round, but in the winter it smells divine when you take off your coat and the scent wafts up. Very comforting without the typical syrupy vanilla in so many cold weather fragrances. Definitely a scent to try.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I don't know whether this just does not suit my PH but I got this with anticipation as I like musky earthy scents. Upon first spraying this I thought it smelt nice but after a few minutes it smelt like sweaty hair, like when you have been ill and haven't washed your hair for a few days and you have been sweating. Mixed with the sweat I could smell Brylcreem mixed with rose which is not very appealing. It does get slighter better with the drydown but still don't think its for me.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've been wearing this perfume almost daily since the day I was finally able to afford to buy myself perfume from a place that didn't also sell vitamins.

I like musky and earthy fragrances in general, but I think what originally drew me to this is that it reminds me of a bottle of perfume that sat on my aunt's dresser in the late 1970s. I have zero idea what it was but it was in a bottle that was shaped like a frog and as a kid I would climb up on the dresser and dab it all over me.

I have smelled this on other people and did not like it, perhaps it's the way it mixes with your own natural scent that can 'make it' or 'break it' for you. I didn't buy this for men to smell me (as I have with other more fruity/spicy scents), but oddly enough it's men that get all giddy when they sniff it. I don't really detect the rose, I smell mostly musk, patchouli and neroli.

I have always purchased the EDT because it lasts. I can spray myself with one spritz after a night shower and smell it well into the next day. I look at my perfume shelf and see so much stuff, but this I always come back to.

Popular Fragrances