Desert Essence Dessert Essence Blemish Touch Stick

4.2

Not tested on animals

Witch Hazel Extract, Alcohol Denat., Eco-Harvest Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomile Flower Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Lavender Oil, Thyme Oil, Birch Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Petitgrain) Leaf Oil. 6/30/09

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Let me start off by letting you know a bit about my acne: I have primarily hormonal acne which always flares up around my period (sometimes before, sometimes during, sometimes the week after..you get the point, and then it takes until my next period for most of it to heal and then the cycle starts again...it's infuriating). I have some blackheads on my nose (which were greatly reduced when I started using witch hazel btw) but most of my acne are whiteheads. I rarely have cystic acne (I actually don't know if I've ever had it). I just get tons of whiteheads in clusters everywhere when my body's hormones start swirlin' and, even if I don't pop or pick, almost all of them turn into hyperpigmentation. Now that you've heard that sad tale (my skin is actually getting better, been making a lot of changes in my lifestyle) I'll go ahead and review this product.

I was drawn to this because I'm obsessed with natural skincare and have done a complete overhaul of my skincare routine to have at LEAST 95% of my routine be natural (it's probably closer to 98% right now). This means no more of that salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide to treat my acne anymore! I had to do research about what I could replace these previously so important acne fighters. Finally, I decided to give a tea tree spot treatment a try.

I apply this over active/recently active blemishes every two or three hours and it really helps them develop to the point where they actually pop themselves (they just kind of extrude all their gunk to the point where they just open while I'm (gently) washing my face). I also feel that this helps reduce the pain, not instantly, but after the fist day using it I saw a difference in the swelling and in the pain of the blemishes I used it on.

I also agree with other reviewers who have said it dries out the acne nicely without being at all drying to the rest of the skin, I really don't know how they did that...it's like it knows where the acne is and so it doesn't mess with the healthy skin. My skin never feels dry after using this, even if I've used it over a more broad space. I also dig the smell, it kind of smells like a sage smell to me (which I love) and I agree that it does start out a big strong but it goes away within minutes, so if you don't like the smell you don't need to worry about being able to smell it throughout the day.

About the packaging—first of all, that reviewer who called everyone who used this product directly on their face an 'idiot' and a 'nit wit': you're being rude and that's not necessary. People aren't idiots for using something called a 'Blemish Touch Stick' to touch their blemishes, sure maybe they aren't aware that it isn't hygienic but there's no need to be rude to them.
Now, actually about the packaging, it's not hygienic (duh) but I actually still use it directly on my face and haven't had any problems BECAUSE I don't use it on open or even recently opened pimples. If you don't pop or pick at pimples all that bacteria stays inside and won't get on the roller ball (yes stuff on your skin will get on the roller ball so it's still not hygienic but whatever, I think it's worth the convenience of just using it straight on the skin and I haven't noticed any adverse effects from doing this and I'll update this if I do). If I want to disinfect an open pimple I'll roll some product onto a tissue or q-tip and do that.

I'd buy this again when it runs out—also the package is so simple and cute, love it :)

on 1/16/2015 1:59:00 PM

This is the first product I've ever taken the time to review. I love it. It's not a miracle worker, but it does what it should. It quickly dries out my blemishes without drying the skin around them, and it's the only spot treatment I've been able to actually wear under makeup! I've repurchased it twice now, love it.

I got this n i taught it was supposed to be cheaper according to the freaking incorrect marking in the grocery store! :0 i tried to exchange but was denied! :0 :(- I go to Targets all over n can never find Tea Tree Oil ! Even tho they say they have it! :0 :(- it tough ! --- so this is nice ! Has a lot of oils ! - but the runny ! N leaks ! N hard to pop off the rollerball! Feels cheap! --- takes some time to dry! :0 :(- helped a bit ! Better then nothing! I m in love with the look! :0 :)--!- i m severely breaking out 2! N acne prone n struggle all ! :0 :(- so many products out there! --- watever u do - try not to give into High End - like Clinique ! - it's not worth it ! - :0 :(- thx -! Also i saw ELF praise on YouTube bout their blemish stick ! :0 - but i dunno-! It prob more cheaper quality then this ! ----! -!bad !- thx !-

on 8/25/2014 9:00:00 PM

This helped reduce swelling, but I had a horrible reaction to it. I applied it to a couple pimples on my chin and woke up to an extremely itchy chin with a bunch of oozing tiny bumps. I suspect I am allergic to tea tree oil though. It contains other potentially irritating essential oils, so I do not recommend it for very sensitive skin, but I can see how it could be helpful to those with normal skin.

on 7/8/2014 12:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

HG HG HG, cannot sing its praises enough!

*For reference: I have extremely dry, generally clear skin with hormonal breakouts on my chin, and occasional spots on my nose and cheeks. I have constant blackheads on my nose, and the spots I get are typically whiteheads.*

I have been using this stuff for years, and I honestly haven't found another product that is anywhere near as effective for me. I *CAN* get a good result by mixing a tiny bit of oregano and cinnamon oil together and applying it to spots, but although it works, it's very uncomfortable as it heats up and basically cooks the gunk out of your pores. This rollerball is far more comfortable, and just as effective.

The formula of this blemish stick is all natural - extracts and essential oils, which give it quite a herbal/medicinal smell. I personally don't mind - I think it smells beautiful - but I could see why this might be an issue for someone. The smell is quite strong upon application, but it dissipates very quickly.

As for function, you just can't beat it - it dries up spots without drying out your skin - and incredibly quickly to boot! Best experience with this stick: the night before my wedding I had a HUGE spot brewing under my skin on my chin, and I slathered it with the touch stick before I went to bed... woke up with no spot, no redness, no nothing.
I usually apply at night after cleansing, over a toner but under a moisturiser, so I wake up to clear skin. If I have a breakout flaring up and I'm not out and about, I'll put some on every few hours.

Price to me is fine - it's not the cheapest thing in the world, but it certainly isn't expensive either, and I think it's worth every penny.

I can see why some reviewers have issue with the rollerball, as yes, it's not the most hygienic thing in the world - but like other reviewers have said, this problem is easily fixed by rolling a little onto a clean finger, a cotton pad, or dipping a q-tip into the vial.

I absolutely love this stuff, and I can't get enough - I have and will repurchase again and again!

on 5/26/2014 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This stuff works incredibly well! I had my doubts- I've tried several more natural spot treatments and never found one that worked at all. This one, however, is great. Like others have said, it works best if you can apply it often. I usuallly take one of the days on the weekend when I don't have much going on and re-apply it every couple of hours throughout the day or when I get home from work in the evening I immediately wash my face and then apply this a couple times throughout the evening and then before bed, and it works really well. It even completely takes down under the skin cystic acne after only a couple of days, which is something not even salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide has been doing for me lately. I use this as part of a more natural acne treatment regimen with Aztec Healing Clay/ACV mask and witch hazel and my acne has calmed way down. I don't love the roller ball, but since this has natural antibacterial and antiseptic properties, I do roll it right across my face and don't really worry about it, even though I'm normally a total germophobe. I do feel like I go through this pretty quickly, but it works so well and it's only $10 at my local Whole Foods, so I'm willing to deal with it.

on 5/20/2014 11:18:00 PM

I don't understand how most of these reviewers are completely idiotic by saying this stick is unhygienic. Do you actually put the rolling ball straight on your face, or do you put it on a cotton ball like most people with more than a few brain cells? Other than that, this stuff is the best. It has made my skin so much better and it does not dry it out like tea tree oil. I just wish dim wits didn't count rating products but I guess that is how the world works.

on 7/7/2013 10:14:00 PM

This is equivalent to tea tree oil for my skin. It didn't work as well for my SO's acneprone combo skin as it worked for my sensitive combo skin. It also doesn't work on anything but whiteheads for us. It says it takes 5-6 applications to see results and maybe that's true on deep pimples. But why I rated this so high was because when I had a pimple I simply applied this to it a few times and it would heal in 24 hours. It worked how I needed it to work. The roller is a pain though. I wish they could change it.

on 7/2/2013 12:10:00 AM

after reading almost all of these comments, i have to laugh at some of them. i literally think some of the reviewers must have gotten this product confused with something else- because this is my HG product, and many others HG product as well. Is it expensive? A bit. I spent about $9.00 on mine at Lunds (Compared to clean and clear and other spot treatments that are $6-7.00 that dont work nearly as well) and it was well worth every extra penny. Does it smell really strong/have a medicinal scent to it? I dont think it does, but I could see how one might think so. If this is the first time you have tried an all natural product which has a base of essential oils, it may take you alil little time to get used to the smell. I personally love it. Its a bit strong, but after 5 minutes, the smell is no longer there. The packaging is a little different, a little tube of product with a rollerball on the end. I know some people arent a fan because its unhygienic to apply this to your face/open skin over and over without a way to clean or sanitize the ball. I appreciate that this product is animal testing free, cruelty free, its all natural in every component... and the reason why they use the rollerball is because using a Q-tip for application defeats the purpose of this product being 'sustainable'. If you want to be hygenic, wash your hands and apply the product on your finger- by rolling it around, and then apply to your face. This is a good method anyway, because I have a problem controlling the amount of product that comes out anyway. I dont have terrible skin, but i do get break outs on occasion and very seldom get those deep cyst like break outs. I have this on hand always, and at the first sign of a breakout... i apply this to the area over and over- just a little bit several times throughout the day. This product will take care of the break out within a day- it wilk either be totally gone, or almost healed. I love that this product doesnt go on greasy, nor does it dry my skin out like other spot treatments do. I have combo skin- and if i get a breakout on a dry patch, or an oily patch.... doesnt matter! this product will take care of it. I cannot even explain to you how much i love it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this to anyone who has occasional breakouts and needs a good, non drying spot treatment that can be worn under or over makeup. From now on, I will use nothing else... its THAT good.

on 4/16/2013 2:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My Aunt who doesnt really get break outs anymore gave me this. I'm really liking it. I felt two painful cyst like pimples under the skin coming on, on my chin and started using this immediately on them. I used it several times over the course of 3 days and they are gone! They never turned into the full blown painful cysts that I usually get on my chin during my PMS. I am blown away and couldnt be any happier. I plan on keeping one of these babies on hand at all times. When I feel a pimple or cyst coming on, this stuff is going straight on my skin. Love it!!

Popular Treatments (Face)