April 20, 2014 | 1690 users online

Pressed Powders - Black Opal - Invisible Oil Blocking Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2014 12:12:00 AM More reviews by wellkepp

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been in search of a product like this for quite some time. Similar products come close to this but they don't match up to the price or the quality. I use it along with the Black Opal concealer. The secret to not looking ashy is to dab and roll. Wiping will only wipe away what you put up under it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2013 10:18:00 PM More reviews by miyoshi637

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I read some awesome reviews for this and was excited to try it. I got it walmart for about $9, so the price wasn't bad. But after using this after using my sunscreen, it didn't do much on my oily forehead. I was still shiny and greasy looking. I was hoping this would work because carrying a compacts is better than carrying loose powder around. It may work for some, but it was not for me at all

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2013 2:03:00 AM More reviews by Kissiq

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Black Opal Invisible Oil-Blocking Powder is a peachy coloured silica-based setting powder. Because of its colour it is supposed to prevent that ashy look that WOC normally have when they set their makeup with white translucent powders.

This is not the case however, for everyone anyway... If you are NC50 and above you may still get that ashy look going on with this product.

People like to say the ashy look is as a result of using too much, but if you have oil-skin and use a product like the Black Opal True Color stick foundation, for a transfer-proof set one has to use a bit of product especially around the jaw-line.

What I do to reduce the ashy effect is to mix this setting powder with my Black Opal Deluxe Finishing Powder in 04 Dark. This adds some color to the powder and reduces the extra matte finish as well, but it still has a lot of the Oil-Fighting properties of the silica. I recommend that for you ladies that have an issue with this powder.

Also, misting your face with a refresher spray like Mac Fix+ will also get rid of some of the ashiness. And make sure you really buffed off all your excess product.

Though I had to modify it to make it work for me, the price is still right and you get a LOT of product for your money, so that I can't give it a bad rating.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2013 3:49:00 AM More reviews by missmelsie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased this powder based on all the rave MUA reviews, after not being able to find a powder to control my oily t-zone.

This stuff is good - perhaps not as amazing as some reviewers have found - but it's better than MAC blot powder and most other blot powders I've tried. Sadly, it doesn't give me more than 4 hours shine-free on my oily t-zone.

Despite the "invisible" claim, I found that this powder does lighten up my foundation a little bit, even though it does have a light coloured tint to it! (To give an idea, I am about NC43 in MAC, or #5 Honey in Bobbi Brown). It sounds like it doesn't cause any problems for fair girls, which is weird because it seems to be designed for ladies much darker than I am! Also, it's a little pink based and as I am very yellow toned, this really shows up on my face.

I have started to apply this underneath my foundation, over my moisturiser, and find that does a pretty good job that way. Still, the oil on my nose starts to break through after about 4-5 hours.

The only issue I have is that the powder is so lovely and light, it does break up a bit when you swipe a brush through the compact. I end up with a lot of powder coming off that needs dusting off, and it can get a bit messy. Sort of defeats the purpose of using pressed powder over loose.

If it didn't change my foundation colour, I would continue to stick with it and just use it to reapply throughout the day. But the more I reapply the worse it looks, so sadly I will probably just stick to blot papers.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 1:42:00 AM More reviews by emysiu

Definitely a great replacement for MAC Blot Powder! Like other reviewers, I was a bit worried that this would wash me out due to the lightness of the powder. However, this blended in just fine with my skin (MAC NC 35) and took away any trace of shine/oiliness. I feel like the power of this powder is similar to Blot Powder, perhaps even a bit better. I really like the slimness of the packaging but am not a huge fan of the sponge that comes with this (but that's an easy fix). I'll be purchasing again!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2013 3:29:00 AM More reviews by GiGiQue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This powder is a wonderful surprise! What a GEM! It's translucent, but to look at the powder in the compact you might be concerned that it won't match your skin. No worries--it matches and IS translucent! I'm an NC30 and this powder looks amazing on my skin. (Not just for WOC!) I'm also freakishly oily (darn genetics!) with olive undertones, and this powder kept me shine-free and looking really good for over 10 hours in heat and humidity! This surpasses my MAC Blot Powder AND Prep n Prime Powder! And looks better! After going through one compact, I bought 3 more online (I can't find it in stores near me). This economy has hit me hard--and this outperforms the expensive powders I thought I couldn't live w/o. I use a good powder brush and use a light hand; it looks seamless over sunscreen, over foundation, or just over bare skin. When I blot (out of habit), there is oil on the paper, yet none of it shows on my face. It's not cakey; it's not too matte. It's perfect for me! I wish I had discovered this before! (Ah... the money I would have saved--while looking BETTER!)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2013 2:42:00 AM More reviews by Paulinecheyram

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

For only 9 bucks this is a steal! Works wayyyy better than MAC blot powder. This does not only mattify skin for hours but also smoothes out skin and blurs imperfections!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/20/2013 11:12:00 PM More reviews by EboniBrandon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Grey

I dont find this to be much in the over all effect from the neutral light Deluxe Finishing Powder from the same manufacturer except that this is silica based while the other is talc based. They have the same finish. It does not block oil IMO. It sets makeup nicely but even on my skin, NC44/45, it can come off a bit ashy so I can imagine that darker complexions may have an issue with it. For this reason I rarely use this all over except with a foundation which apples lighter than my skin but I know for a fact will oxidize darker. That way a setting powder will not cause 'orange face'. Neutral light does not have this problem. Having said this. I love this under my eyes and on any highlight area.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2012 2:17:00 PM More reviews by jammiejam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So this afternoon i went shopping with a friend and got this powder - the last one, yay! - because of all the raving reviews here. I was going to buy the mac blot powder, but this one was a little cheaper :) (In my country it costs around 15 euro). When i got home, i looked at myself in the mirror and suprise, suprise: My skin was oily! Which was convinient in this case, because i was dying to try this out. The compact looks pretty fancy I must say, it's very sturdy.. Very good to take with you for touch ups. Although I dont think you need to do so as much, because i have applied the powder (on its own) about 5 hours ago and still no oil! Very natural, matte look. It makes my skin look so much better! So i am veeeery happy with this so far, I just hope this doesn't break me out or anything. I will try to remember to update this review in a few weeks! So far id recommend it to my friends.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2012 8:56:00 PM More reviews by Afrocutie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Wow. Really wasn't expecting to like this as much as I do.

I am a shiny happy person. I don't like to blind people with the glare from my forehead. I do a rolling motion applying with a sponge on my t-zone, leave for as long as it takes to apply mascara, then I brush excess off. 6 hours later and people do not have to squint at me anymore. By the time it comes to the cleanse I have a dewy glow.
This works.