October 21, 2014 | 2054 users online

Shampoo - Alterna - LIFE Volumizing Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 8/7/2012 7:07:00 AM More reviews by luplaika

Had high hopes but...
...the bottle is really annoying and difficult to open
....the smelll is ok
...the volume it gives is minimum
...it's really harsh and drying
Sooooo expensive!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2009 11:16:00 PM More reviews by krystennicole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Dried out my hair. Didn't notice any volume from using it. Smells great. Pricy. The bottle is annoying. When the product got low, I tipped it upside down so it would dispense out faster but noticed it actually leaked out the sides of the cap. Bottle is made of hard plastic and hard to squeeze out the last bit of product.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/30/2009 8:44:00 AM More reviews by lilypink

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

A mix of feeling dirty and stripped all at the same time. Hair is dull and unmanageable. Unpleasant.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2009 12:24:00 AM More reviews by scandelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this is my hg shampoo. i have been using it for several years now, and i still love it. yeah its expensive, but it actually works: it significantly increases volume and body in the hair, and i love its smell. also, you need a very very small amount; nickel size amount for shoulder length hair, so one bottle lasts quite a while. i also like that it is sulfate free. i highly recommend this shampoo and will continue to buy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2008 2:05:00 PM More reviews by maan84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This shampoo is amazing! I have very fine Scandinavian hair. It really needs products that adds some volume to it. After using this shampoo my hair feels soft.
Life Volumizing Shampoo smells nice. I like the texture. You only need the tiniest amount for every shower so a little goes a long way. I love how volumizing it is.

I use the conditioner in the same series too. The only downside is the fact that this shampoo is rather pricey. However, the many pros outweigh the cons so I'll keep buying this great shampoo. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2008 10:01:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I received a sample of this shampoo with a recent skinstore.com order. It seemed to work well at cleaning my hair during the single use the sample provided, but it has a lot of ingredients (silicones, polyquaterniums, etc.) that I suspect would build up on my fine hair with repeated use. This product has an outrageously long ingredient list. This shampoo is also super pricey, so I'm rather relieved that I don't love it!
Ingredients: Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate, Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Cetrimonium Chloride, Silicone Quaternium-16, Silicone Quaternium-8, Methyl Gluceth-10, PEG-150 Distearate, Lauramide MEA, Rice Amino Acids, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Disteareth-75 IPDI, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Paullinia Cupana Seed Extract, Undeceth-11, Panthenyl Hydroxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride, Butyloctanol, Polyquaternium-55, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Undeceth-5, Aminomethyl Propanol, Wasabia Japonica Root Extract, Hydrolyzed Pearl, Zinc Gluconate, Tocopherol Acetate, Threonine, Retinyl Palmitate, Phosphorus, Ornithine Decarboxylase, Niacin, Magnesium Salicylate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Carboxyethyl Aminobutyric Acid, Calphostin C, Calcium Pantothenate, Azelaic Acid, Polyquaternium-10, Melanin Silantriol, Superoxide Dismutase, Papain, Bromelain, Royal Jelly Extract, Robinia Pseudacacia Flower Extract, Polygonum Multiflorum Root Extract, Polygonum Multiflorum Extract, Nasturtium Officinale Flower/Leaf Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Gastrodia Elata Root Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Coptis Japonica Extract, Cinchona Succirubra Bark Extract, Green Tea Leaf Extract, Ginger Root Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Nymphaea Alba Flower Extract, Nelumbium Speciosum Flower Extract, Saccharomyces Zinc Ferment, Saccharomyces Lysate Ferment, Algae Extract, Lactoferrin, Corn Oligosaccharides, Phytosphingosine, Phospholipids, Fennel Seed Extract, Saccharomyces Copper Ferment, Soybean Seed Peroxidase, Copper Lysl Oxidase, Amino Acyl TRNA Synthetase, Acetyl Serine, Acetyl Methionine, Lentinus Edodes Tyrosinase, Mushroom Tyrosinase, Carrot Root Extract, Retinyl Palmitate, Methylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

NB: This product is called LIFE Volume Restore Shampoo and comes in a translucent green bottle.

ME: I don't have thinning hair, but tried a free sample of this and loved what it did for my hair. I have shoulder-length, layered straight hair that's normal/oily, with normal texture (not fine and not super-thick either). It's virgin, healthy hair that's naturally shiny. My only real hair issue is when my hair goes flat and limp--I'm always looking for volumizing products that won't gunk up, dull or frizz out my hair.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: Thick, clear gel. You only need a very small amount (nickel-sized) for shoulder-length hair of medium thickness. LOTS of dense lather. There's a strong, sweet fruity scent...sort of green apple-y but fresher. It's pleasant but doesn't linger in my hair once it's dried. I have to say that I HATE the bottle. It looks cool (it's green, translucent plastic shaped like a piece of bamboo) but the shape and type of plastic makes it extremely hard to squeeze. This is especially true for the conditioner, which is rather thick.

EFFECT(S): Bouncy, volumized hair that stays 'good' even if I skip shampooing for one day (this is usually never the case for me, especially in warm weather). No more limpness either! But there's also no loss of shine or softness, nor any frizziness. Yay!

VERDICT: I love what this shampoo does to my hair but I wish it weren't so terribly expensive. But I'll repurchase unless I find something that's as good and cheaper. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2005 6:06:00 PM More reviews by MichErin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Alterna Life is a volumizing shampoo that is gentle. I must say I was partly swayed into buying it because it smells SOOO good! With that said, this is a very good shampoo. It leaves my fine hair with volume, shine, softness, and manageability. The conditioner is great too.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/23/2005 5:21:00 PM More reviews by E2tG

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the second Alterna shampoo that I've tried--the first was the Caviar shampoo, which I loved. Unfortunately, I didn't get as great results from Life Volumizing. The Caviar line really made my hair feel so much healthier and I was hoping the Life Volumizing line would have the same effects, only with extra volume, but I actually think it was a step down. Don't get me wrong, this is a great shampoo--it leaves your hair nice and soft--but it just didn't live up to what I had expected from a shampoo this pricey. I realize that shampoos work differently for different people's hair, but for me, I didn't notice any extra volume and when combined with the conditioner, the bit of residue always kept my hair from feeling really clean. Also, the scent doesn't appeal to me--it's not an awful scent--but it smells very synthetic, like something that someone formulated with very synthetic notes to go with the bamboo shaped bottle. The bottle itself is very elegant, but it's so tall and skinny that you have to be carefull not to knock it over in the shower. Overall, it's nice enough for me to use up the bottle but I don't think I'll go back to it.