December 18, 2014 | 923 users online

Pressed Powders - Aveda - Inner Light Pressed Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2014 4:36:00 PM More reviews by ladycatcat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This foundation is the best for my oily skin. It gives me full coverage when applied with the AVEDA Inner Light Foundation. And it's the perfect shade for me. I've had a hard time finding a match with other brands. I'm always in between but #7 Almond is perfect for me! And I love the Eco-friendly compacts the powders snap into! Love love!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2014 9:54:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I much prefer this powder to MAC's MSF powders, this Aveda powder not only is a great match for my skin (I am NC15 and I have the Cream shade) but it does give me a pretty glow without any sparkle.

It's not advertised as a mattifying powder, and it really doesn't mattify at all. After applying my skin looks great but it still has some shine to it. I have found that even after being outside in the high humidity of Florida this powder is still on, and keeping my skin looking good.

It doesn't darken when it is applied over wet foundation (something that I find happens with a lot of powders) and because of this I am very pleased.

I don't like the way that you have to buy the metal packaging separately, although from an environmental standpoint I can see that it is responsible of the company to do this. So I have been using my powder while it is still in the clear plastic clamshell. Not attractive but it is still quite functional.

I will certainly buy this again as it works well and is the perfect color for my skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/2/2008 6:19:00 PM More reviews by jeannelucille

This stuff made me break out within hours of application. Back to Dr. Hauschka pressed powder (even with the talc it doesn't break me out) or Aubrey Organics translucent base.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2008 7:14:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (2012-02-17): BOYCOTTING RE. CURRENT ANIMAL TESTING FOR CHINESE MARKET

UPDATE (2008-10-05): SKIN IRRITATED. What follows still stands, except I turn out to react to tourmaline (alas, in several Aveda products). Badly. Skin now recovering. This stuff is definitely still a lovely shade and texture, and worth passing on, and trying out. But the rating has to go down from 5 to 3.

EDIT (2008-09-28): going gritty and sparkly as I get to the bottom of the pan, and I'm getting irritated bits where I apply this (like zits, but more pink and inflamed and painful). I still consider this a great pressed powder: but already expensive for what you get, and now I have to take into account that the last 1/5 of it is not as good as the first 1/3.

Excellent pressed powder: fine, light finish, smoothes over any discrepancies, barely perceptible, and excellent over sunscreen and/or primer. Best I've found so far (since the demise, some time ago, of my favourite old Cliniques).

010/Cream is one of the few shades that are actually suitable for pale skin. Properly neutrally pale - most very pale tones are too yellow, and some too pink. Doesn't oxidise and go orange, on me anyway. Just looks skin-coloured.

Best of all, no irritations on this otherwise sensitive skin. Also, talc-free, if that's a concern (my skin certainly seems happier without it).

Fragranced ingredients are listed, and fragrance is mentioned on Aveda's website, but barely discernible. And nothing like Chanel, Bourjois, some Lancome, etc.

Like other Aveda products, no animal testing, people-tested, and all very green and nice. Comes in a metal pan inside a small plastic closeable sleeve, that's actually fine for everyday purposes. Works well with a brush or with one of those microcellular sponges (the Clinique/Origins kind).

I also got the Total Face Envirometal Compact at the same time, to hold this and a blush (the lovely Apricot Glow) while in transit. Adding the accompanying greaseproof paper on top of contents (to prevent powder migration). I trimmed down a sponge to the powder pan's size, for travel purposes.

Expensive: EUR 31.00 / GBP 19.00 / USD much less... NB the ingredients list is identical to the Inner Light Dual Foundation, except that silica and zinc stearate have swapped places. Having experimented with both, that slight difference does still mean that the Dual Foundation is better for wet application, to use as a dabbed concealer and very light foundation; it can actualy be used - but with a very light hand - as a touch-up powder too.

INGREDIENTS: mica, dimethicone, zinc stearate, silica, squalane, rice starch, magnesium myristate, murumuru butter, Japanese knotweed root extract, tourmaline, malachite, soybean oil, tocopherol, ascorbyl palmitate, methicone, sodium dehydroacetate, fragrance, linalool, limonene, geraniol, citronellol, methylparaben, propylparaben, [ titanium dioxide (ci 77891), ultramarines (ci 77007), iron oxides (ci 77491, 77492, 77499) ] continued >>

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2008 1:16:00 PM More reviews by raeackerman

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

As much as I try to use all-natural and environmentally-friendly products, I am not loving this one. It feels nice and does not seem to break me out at all. The one deal-breaker with me on this product is that it's SPARKLY! I really try to achieve a very natural look with makeup, just sunscreen, concealer, powder, mascara, and highlighter. I prefer my powder to be matte and basically invisible...so it doesn't appear that I am wearing any. I was shocked to go outside in the sunlight and see how sparkly This powder is on my face. I may continue to use it at night, but never when I will be outside.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2007 2:12:00 PM More reviews by ayi369

Newly switched to more natural ingredients based skin and hair care product, which means abandon all those more chemical products I had is a real pain. Anyway, Aveda seems to do a well job in this field. The first item I bought from Aveda was this pressed powder in Cream. For the price of $30 for a small square, I was almost shocked when realized there's no compact came with the product. It's just a refill packed with plastic along with a matching sized puff. I know they try to reduce the material waste in order to protect the environment, but I do need a compact to hold the powder tray! Then I was offered to buy the refillable case, an empty envirnoment-friendly case, for sure. I had to admit the case were well made and multi-functional, but so what? I had to pay another $24 just for the case. With the total of $54 plus taxes, I think I paid the same price for a most prestige brand name like Chanel. Worth it or not? Well, the powder is not the finest-milled one but the overall quality seems to be fine and the scent is light and pleasant. I am not regret for the purchase solely because it's talc free and meant to be a safer choice from the others. It better be, otherwise I will be really pissed off.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/26/2006 9:23:00 PM More reviews by bombilladeluz

I really enjoy this powder. So many powders tend to break me out, but this one doesn't at all. The talc-free formula is not damaging to the skin. While I am not a scent lover AT ALL, I love the scent of this stuff. Its very natural and a pleasure to use. My skin glows, though by the end of the day it has worn off and I need to retouch. Overall a great powder, my fave to date. Also like the environmentally friendly packaging. Will definitely repurchase! UPDAT: Decided to not wear it today to see how my skin faired, and only wore concealer over spots. When I checked the mirror at lunch I was in for a bit of a shock.. my skin looked like crap! Definitely not going to try this little experiment again.. and will keep using this stuff as it keeps oilies at bay and really evens me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2006 1:22:00 PM More reviews by lemurian

Love this powder! I agree with some of the reviews below that this isn't the most finely milled pressed powder in the world, but it is so perfect for just dusting on and diffusing undereye circles or blemishes or whatever! It makes my skin glow :) I love Aveda's concept of having multipurpose palettes and pans that you can combine however you like -- I have this PP in a palette with a blush and a DC'd highlighter (called Inner Light, actually) and if I'm in a rush or just feeling lazy I grab the palette, dust on the contents, and I'm done. If you're looking for more of a finishing or oil absorbing powder, grab Aveda's Inner Light Loose Powder.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2006 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

It made my skin look pasty! And the added fragrance in this product irritated my sinuses!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/9/2005 1:32:00 AM More reviews by lumlum0912

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After doing some research on pressed powders, I've decided to go with Aveda. I really like their concept of reducing packaging and using natural ingrdeients. This powder is talc-free, and it does a pretty good job for oil-control. What I dont' like about it is the powder texture. It's not fine enough, so when apply to face, it seems pretty thick. I think after I finish with this powder, I'll fill the compact with blush and eye shadows instead.