July 23, 2014 | 1308 users online

Skincare - Body - The Body Shop - Cocoa Butter Creamy Body Wash

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2012 7:16:00 PM More reviews by bnm5077

This is the grossest body was I have ever used! It smells like chemicals, diapers, and a little bit of cigarette smoke. It lathers nice, but I just can't get past the smell. The worst part is that it lingered on my skin after my shower. I'm trying to exchange it so hopefully they will let me, or else it will just go to waste. Wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/17/2012 8:38:00 AM More reviews by roomie97

This has the most ah-mazing smell that i can think of right now. it smells like coconut mixed with precious rich butter and other sweet scents! i so love it and this has been one of my most beloved body wash i have used so far! anyone who hasn't tried this, should. i promise that this scent won't let you down!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2012 4:50:00 AM More reviews by marsqurine

I don't quite like this body wash :( This retails for SGD$12.90 for a 250ml bottle. As stated on the website, 'Turn bath time into pure decadence with this dreamy creamy wash. Extra softening comes from rich sunflower oil together with Community Trade cocoa butter to moisturise.' This body wash is medium yellow in colour, and slightly more viscous than the normal TBS Shower Gels. It also does not lather much. Hence, I reckon a 250ml bottle to last for 4-5 months the most, as compared to TBS Shower Gels which lasted me for up to 1 year for each 250ml bottle. Honestly, the smell is somewhat off-putting. I don't know exactly what Cocoa Butter is supposed to smell like, but this smells like expired fragranced chemicals. It does not smell natural, and prolonged usage of this in the shower gives me a mild headache, for some unknown reason. Honestly, even after I started using this product, I am hesitant to use it every shower, as it is indeed rich in cleansing and moisturizing. I somehow feel gross when I slather it on in the shower, and when I wash it off, my skin feels somewhat moisturized, and I don't use body lotion after this as I thought that it might be an 'overkill'. Actually I was rather disappointed as I had been wanting to try out this product for some time. I understand why other consumers would love the scent of this. But its just not for me, as I realized that I prefer fruity scents. I think that this creamy body wash is not suitable for me as I live in a hot and humid climate, as I prefer the squeaky clean feeling after a shower. I will recommend this to anybody who likes the scent and lives in cold climates. I will finish up this product, but I will not repurchase this again :)
FULL INGREDIENTS: Aqua (Water) (Solvent/Diluent), Cocamidopropyl Betaine (Surfactant), Helianthus annuus (Sunflower Seed Oil) (Emollient), PEG-5 Cocamide (Surfactant), Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Surfactant), Coco-Glucoside (Surfactant), Glycine soja (Soybean Oil) (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Sodium Cocoa Butter Amphoacetate (Hair-Conditioning Agent), Acrylates/Steareth-20 Methacrylate Copolymer (Viscosity Modifier), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Glycerin (Humectant), Parfum (Fragrance), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Amyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Hydroxycitronellal (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Salicylate (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Benzoate (Solvent), Isoeugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Cinnamyl Alcohol (Fragrance Ingredient), Farnesol (Fragrance Ingredient), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient), Eugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Benzyl Cinnamate (Fragrance Ingredient), CI 15985 (Colour), CI 19140 (Colour).

rated 2 of 5 on 5/21/2011 9:59:00 AM More reviews by euristocrat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I was really disappointed that this smelt nothing like the Cocoa Body Butter. I love the smell of the body butter and I assumed that this would smell the same or at least similar but it doesn't. That said, the texture is lovely - very creamy, rich and moisturising - exactly the same as TBS Coconut Shower Cream. I much prefer the coconut version (it's so yummy that it's HG material) so I will not be repurchasing this again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2011 2:25:00 PM More reviews by Laurelwood

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This shower cream is good at moisturizing the skin and cleansing it, but I was under the impression that it would smell like cocoa butter or chocolate, which it definitely does not. It smells more like a diaper cream. I much prefer the scent and formula of the shea shower cream by TBS.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2010 8:06:00 PM More reviews by pooni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

i m surprised to see such a low rating for my fav body wash ......its a grt prdt it is vry moistrisng and it lathers well if u use this with bath lilly ....its a grt pdt ......... price is reasonable and it lasts really long evn if u use it daily ..its best in winter and works wonder if paired with coco butter body scrub

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2010 2:39:00 AM More reviews by Freckleduck

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This smells amazing and works very well. It is really moisturizing, but if you like your body washes to leave you feeling squeaky clean this may not give you that feeling. I really enjoyed this product for my body.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my body skin type!

What it Claims:
"Indulge your skin and senses in a moisture-rich, ultra-creamy body wash that creates a decadent chocolate-scented lather."

Claims - True or False?
1) Moisture-Rich: True. I do not have very dry skin, so fro someone with drier skin than my own, it may not be hydrating enough. I am able to use it without moisturizing, but I do prefer applying some lotion afterward.
2) Creates a decadent lather: False. This product creates very minimal amounts of lather, but I do not mind, as I find that it works fine without the lathering. I think that some of these people below need to realize that even if the body wash doesn't lather, doesn't mean it's not CLEANSING the skin!

Packaging:
Much like their other body washed and some of their cleansers, this body wash comes in a squeeze bottle with a clip cap, clear plastic and a simple, elegant label. The packaging is the one thing that I truly detest from this product, as it has already broken off within the first month of having purchased it. It can also be a pain to use, but overall this doesn't bother me too much as I do enjoy the actual product.

Smell:
As the name of the product suggests, the body wash has a nice, light cocoa butter scent. I love that the scent does not linger, as I prefer using my body lotions/creams as a means of adding fragrance to my skin. Because it isn't strong, it will not likely offend anyone. Another bonus is that the scent does not seem artificial or sickly sweet.

Consistency:
The body wash comes out thick, creamy and smooth. It has a buttery yellow colouring and leaves behind a noticeable amount of hydration, but does not simply deposit a layer of slim or grease like some products can. It works great in conjuncture with other hydrating products because of this.

Ease of Use:
Lathering the body wash can be slightly difficult, but I generally prefer the fact that it doesn't lather. Washing off the body wash takes seconds, so it is a very simple product to use when in a hurry. As for the packaging, it can be irritating to squeeze the product out, although not as difficult as some of the other products at The Body Shop (especially when compared to their Shea Butter wash). I'd recommend switching to a pump lid, which may be purchased at other stores, or possibly at The Body Shop itself.

Bang for your Buck:
While this isn't the cheapest product on the market, there are often sales, and you can easily get a discount when purchasing with a Love Your Body card. At $13.00 for 250ml, I find the price to be reasonable. If used daily, I would say that this is not going to be a great deal for you, as it will easily be used up far too fast.

Final Consensus:
While I can easily get away with using any form of body wash, I've found that my skin benefits best from hydrating products. I got this product as a Christmas present, and since that time (about 3 weeks), I've used the body wash almost every time I shower, which is 4-6 times a week. With daily use, I can easily see this product being used up very quickly, within 3-4 months or so. Because of this, I would not recommend this product to men and women that like showering and washing their body every day. I use this solely on areas where I have stretch marks and about once a week on the majority of my body, as I'd like to make it last longer, and some parts of my body break out when cocoa butter is used. If you'd like to have a nice, hydrating body wash for an affordable price, I'd recommend looking elsewhere, but if you want to indulge in something a little more luxurious, definitely pick this up, but remember to buy a separate pump as the lid is of poor quality. Would definitely repurchase seasonally.

Overall Rating: 4/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 2/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2008 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Cinnabuns

This body wash is very moisturizing. I've never used it as a bubble bath so I'm not sure how long it lasts in the bath. My complaint is that the scent is barely noticeable, and it barely foams. I prefer a rich lather. Complaint # 2: The plastic bottle is so hard to squeeze that it's a challenge to get any product out. I feel like I'm practicing on my hand strength.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/18/2007 4:07:00 PM More reviews by AnApologyFromEllenOlenska

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Let me preface this by saying I do not like body lotion. I sweat A LOT, and wearing body lotion of any texture, quantity, quality, or consistency in any but the coldest months of the year just makes me feel really sweaty, icky and miserable, not soft. So to keep my skin supple and moisturized, I look for rich & creamy shower formulas. I've tried a lot of products claiming to be "ultra moisturizing," but they've only left my skin feeling stripped and dry. This product, along with the Body Shop's Coconut Creamy Body Wash, are the VERY best cleansing products I have ever used in the shower. Squeeze a little on a pouf, work into a lather, and there you go. I'm soft!