July 30, 2014 | 1129 users online

Skincare - Body - Burt's Bees - herbal insect repellent [DISCONTINUED]

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2007 2:50:00 PM More reviews by crystalvisions

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used this product about six times and have had pretty good results with it until yesterday. I applied the product to my exposed body parts before going outside to play disc golf. About 30 minutes into the game, I looked down and saw 4 mosquitos attatched to my leg. Today, I am covered with mosquito bites. Granted, the mosquitos are absoultely horrible in Texas right now, but I hoped that this would've worked a little better. I love the fact that it's all natural and safe to use on pets. I wish I could recommend it, but it's not the most effective insect repellant on the market.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2007 3:37:00 PM More reviews by loueylou

This is the best insect repellent ever!! I will use nothing else as far as insect repellent on my family and myself. In my opinion it is highly effective, and I appreciate that it is safe to use because of its natural ingredients. It's scent is not offensive, and it is easy to apply because it comes with a spray pump. It is a must-have for the summer months!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2007 2:43:00 PM More reviews by Acacia810

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

It totally works! It's natural, and by Burt's, so at first I just thought it would be merely "benign"--not toxic, not noxious, sticky, or loaded with skin-devouring chemicals....
BUT I found that this stuff is very functional! It does just what it's meant to. It's true, the bugs are repelled by the naturally occuring smells of certain plants--to what extent?? I did not know. But now I grasp it. I was in Taiwan during the summer, visiting my fam. The climate there is very buggy, humid, and the bugs are MUCH meaner, smarter, and resilient than the ones here in Seattle. But they are scared of Burt's! And it's safe and effective for my pooches too. How awesome is that? My terrier got a pampering spa kit from her buddy, one of the potions was bug repellent. I read the ingredients and found that it was the exact same as the Burts. So I use the messy Burt's bottle to (patiently)refill her chic, portable little spray bottle, and we share. The Burt's bottle sucks. I suggest you go get a travel-size spray bottle from the drug store.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2007 1:21:00 AM More reviews by weemansmum

We use loads of this through out the summer on every one in our house-including the dogs. The smell is good compared to the chemical stuff. The oil can be a bit bothersome when it's hot, but you get used to it. It's not 100% effective, but it's a safer alternative to DEET prodcuts. For the dogs it also helps get rid of dirty, sweaty dog smell that they get from summer hikes. We love this stuff, just wish it was spray. Would make application easier and less messy.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2007 12:54:00 PM More reviews by JaeMann

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I wish it sprayed instead of squirted. And I am not fond of the smell. But holy god I love this stuff. I love that if I get it in my mouth, I don't need to freak out. I love that I am not worried about toxins seeping into my skin. I love that it makes my skin feel soft. I love that mosqitoes don't come near me. I love that, although it stinks, it doesn't stink nearly as badly as othey insect sprays. I love that I can pick up a baby with this stuff on me and not worry about the baby getting poisons on it.
I love this stuff. If I could give it a 10 I would.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2005 2:18:00 PM More reviews by kipar13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product doesn't keep off every single mosquito when they are out in force, but it does greatly reduce the numbers that bug me and I think it is worth a bite every now and then to avoid potentially hazardous chemicals. I also like the scent, so it's definitely no hardship to wear this insect repellent.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2005 11:19:00 AM More reviews by i_darling

I use this for my family and recommend it to every one I know for a chemical-free alternative to most insect sprays. Works great! Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2005 7:52:00 PM More reviews by AmyFehr157

Great product for kids! Didn't want to put anything chemical on my infant daughter, but also didn't want bugs nibbling at her! This is a great, all-natural insect repellant. It's all oil, so you have to smooth it on once you're outside (or you'll be an oily mess) and you should reapply every hour or two for maximum efficacy. It smells like a citronella candle, so not unpleasant, and it comes in a big pump bottle, so it's well worth the $7 since it'll last a long time. Great natural product and problem-solver, especially for little ones!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2005 8:03:00 PM More reviews by k108

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This won't deter every single mosquito, but it does a pretty decent job considering it's all natural and deet-free. (Even the deet products don't work 100%, and make me feel nauseous) Apply liberally and re-apply as needed.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2005 3:02:00 PM More reviews by XtinaNC

This stuff works very well. My husband and I both use it in North Carolina...we live in a house with a creek in back and the biting bugs are terrible. My husband uses it when he works in the yard and has almost NO bites at all (compared with getting covered in bites otherwise). We both used it at an outdoor play in humid, hot weather at night and although there were sounds of slapping and scratching around us all night, we were unbothered by any bugs.

Although everybody's body chemistry is different and it may not work for everyone, this stuff works much better than Off! or the other sprays on the market, plus it's natural and you don't have any worries about chemicals. In my opinion, a miracle bug repellent!