October 24, 2014 | 884 users online

Masks - Makeup Artist's Choice (MUAC) - 30% Glycolic Acid Home Chemical Peel Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2014 3:41:00 AM More reviews by Neophiliac

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Another good peel from MUAC. Nothing unclogs pores like a good peel. I tried another brand. Big mistake. I'm back to MUAC and not switching. This brand is gentle and effective, without a nasty burn. Increase usage time gradually and follow the instructions.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2014 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This was the next strongest in the MUAC products for me after the Fade Peel, the 25%, The Triple Enzyme. As always I followed the directions to the letter - use a mild cleanser, never apply to irritated skin, do a patch test first, use as directed. I use a washcloth to remove surface oils and apply the PH Prep, which I have just learned is Witchhazel, allowed it to dry, did not rinse off.

I used a timer for this because 30% is a lot for me (sensitive skin) and I am a big chicken when it comes to applying acids to my skin! I did a patch test and waited for the "tingle" but there really was not any discomfort - maybe because I've been off strong cleansers ever since I started using these products - there's really no need for them anymore unless I want to give my skin a quick little treat.

I started at 30 seconds and then slowly progressed to 10 minutes with very little discomfort. My skin was slightly pink and sensitive afterwards and within a few hours I started to notice how soft and clean - read deep down clean - my skin felt. So now the 30% is a weekly treatment for me. I'm not sure if I need anything stronger at this point. This journey for me worked best with weekly applications of peel left on 1 minute longer each time.

It took several months for ALL of my pores to get clear. It's gross, but it must be said - my skin was so clogged from years of gunk that I could never get completely out that I really believe my skin went into some sort of shock and I broke out a bit first before my skin responded and the pores just became more amd more clear each week - especially the pores on my nose. I check my skin every day and night in a magnifying mirror (called the mirror of truth) to see what's going on and I am thrilled to report that I believe I got everything out. I truly believe that I will be foundation optional within the first half of this year. I am overjoyed.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 8:28:00 PM More reviews by BelleSade

Just to give you a bit of info on my skin. I have vitiligo, moderate acne (thanks to a hormonal IUD), sun spots. I'm also an obsessive skin picker, so that moderate acne looks swollen, red, and scabby all the time. I hate my skin to a point I sometimes hide at home because my skin is just that bad.
My cheeks are GLOWING and soft and gorgeous.
So, i left it on for about 4 minutes. I washed my face with Aveeno Positively Radiant Brigtening Cleanser (I think it's important to use a gentle cleanser before any peel). Then I applied rubbing alcohol to my face (and no I don't recommend doing this normally, I just wanted to remove all oils from my face). Then I used the included PH prep (which is just witch hazel, don't repurchase this, not worth it), allowed it to air dry completely. I applied a thin layer (really, the peel itself is so watery you can't apply a very thick layer anyway) of the peel on my face. It stung more than the lactic acid peel, but nothing scary. What did make me nervous was how red parts of my face got, but this went away about an hour once I'd removed the peel. I left it on for about four minutes, then rinsed it off with only water and an included honey and oatmeal soap sample they included.
I love this, it's already an HG for me.
UPDATE: Still loving this. Acne hyperpigmentation is a thing of the past, and if I feel a pimple growing under my skin, I just use this peel, seems to fix it.
UPDATE #2: This is AMAZING for BACK ACNE and scarring! Like AMAZEBALLS. I've suffered from cystic back acne (long story) for about three years now, I thought I was condemned to a life of sleeves and no tube tops... NOPE. Put this on my back (for 12 mins, since I figured skin there is tougher), same process as above... I'm getting COMPLIMENTS from coworkers, my husband, etc, about how my back has cleared up in about three week's time. I literally feel NO new pimples growing under my skin. This is an official all around HG for me.
UPDATE #3: SKIN SAVER, but to give more details... this peel takes time. I'll compare if with the lactic acid peel as I used both of these most often. The lactic acid peel gives you a more immediate difference, but it did little for my acne and acne hyperpigmentation, and overall, after a while, my skin stopped improving and the acne came back with a vengeance. Not so with the glycolic peel; even though it doesn't give you such strong "glowiness" immediately post peel as with the lactic acid, your skin keeps improving for weeks, and it doesn't burn your skin. As I write this, my face that started with about 36 strong acne hyperpigmentation marks and a plethora of other pimples, I now have two acne marks, and just one tiny forehead pimple, and my last peel was three weeks ago. I don't have to "keep up" with the constant peels to feel the effects of this acid, so, I overall recommend this one more. For sun spots though, the lactic acid is better.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 2:36:00 AM More reviews by cherryme

My experience with this peel-- I used it yesterday and it was the first time I ever used a home peel!
I was very very nervous to try it but I was also excited because I wanted to see how my face would like after.
I also bought the Lactic Acid 40% peel.

Yesterday morning I did patch tests (on both of my cheekbones where usually I have dry skin) with both of the peels to use how do they feel like and if I would have a red dinosaur or so on my face.
At first I noticed that the Glycolic peel burned a bit.
I left both peels as they say in the Instructions.

In the evening, I've seen that everything was fine so I was thinking to try the Glycolic...I just didn't have anymore patience to wait until today.

I washed my face, wiped my face with the Ph solution, put the Glycolic acid on my fingers, put it on my skin and then I put my phone cronom. on 30 sec.
After 30 sec. I was fine (bit stinging but nothing serious, I could handle it) and I waited until 1 minute.
I quickly washed my face with a lot of water.
I pat my skin with fresh, clean towel.

I let my skin free for 3 hours and before going to bed I put Macadamia Oil (my new love) and went to bed.

What I noticed after the peel: my face was a bit pink, taught, no weird sensation that would worry me, dewy, and few small pimples were already on my forehead (these little pimples have been there for few weeks already but I just let them sit there), my nose was a bit oily and a bit dry on the nose wings (nothing serious).
The dry patches that I had on my forehead, cheeks and cheeksbones are smoother.

Now, in the morning, my skin is softer, it is not dry or red or burned. My small pimples on my forehead are still there but you don't really see them unless you touch my skin and you feel some bumps. No problem. Maybe it was just the acid that took them out and I am happy about it. My skin has a clear tone. My pores a bit smaller (nothing major).

I can't wait for the next peel!

My skin is used to Retin A, Azelaic acid, AHA and BHA and other stuffs. I have combination skin, acne marks on my chin, very clog prone and from time to time I have pimples. Sensitive. Dry patches on my forehead and cheeks from Retin A that I used few months ago.

Caution:
- do a patch test and wait 24 hr (I waited 9 hrs but this is just me being impatient and my face used to other acids but you never know how your skin may react)
- don't let the peel on the skin longer that it is writen in the Instructions
- take care of your skin after peel- don't use harsh products, no scrubs or acids for the next 2 days ( again you never know how your skin may react so don't take the chance).

I hoped this helped someone who is thinking to have a first time home peel.

I will update when I will have my next peel.

EDIT- I used this peel 3 times in total. The advantages: my skin is clearer, my pores are smallar and they are not blocked as they used to be. My scars are fading.
Disadvantages: my skin is very dry and peeling (I had dry skin prior to suing this peel but it wasn't that bad as it is now). So use with caution is you have dry skin, it will make it drier.
My scars are fading but nothing major but still it is OK.
I can see an overall improvement and I will continue to use it but I will make sure to pamper my dry skin areas.

EDIT 30.08.2013. Updated to 5 stars.
I used it yesterday for 5 mins. It still stings a bit but nothing major. After I washed it off my skin was a bit pink and quite sensitive even when I washed with clean water. Again, nothing major.
Results next morning: skin very smooth, pores veeery small, very old scars are getting less visible, I had 2 cysts lurking for a week and nothing helped (not even my beloved Skinoren!!) and now they are light purple and not so bumpy and angry.
I love this peel and I will continue using it!!

EDIT: 01.06.2014
I have been using this peel once a month because my skin has been dry in the winter months and I didn't want to stress it. It still leave my skin soft for few days, my pores look smaller and cleaner. It leaves my face dewy. I still have to use my Macadamia oil because I have dry cheeks but I like this peel a lot and I will continue to use it once a month.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2012 1:45:00 PM More reviews by glossyxlipz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I'm HOLLYWOOD! My face is glowing and I haven't seen my skin look this great in years. Great product. I would buy again, but I want to remove some hyper pigmentation which I read the lactic acid is better for.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/20/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by adOrk_aBLe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Helps smooth out skin but didn't help with hyperpigmentation. My skin tolerated the 30% very well so I would do this every 5 days and leave it on for 10-12 mins. I finished the bottle but wasn't satisfied with the results. Now moving on to the 50%

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by lindseyh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This did not work for my skin. It made me break out with cystic acne and now I am left with about 6 acne marks/scars on my face. In which I am now trying to fade with no luck.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2012 1:01:00 AM More reviews by rachaelvictorious

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I started using MUAC 30% Glycolic Acid peels after a life-time of disappointment in acne treatment.

I've used dozens of skin care lines, OCM, Retin-A in cream and gel form, internal suppliments, professional facials (sometimes with peels), anti-biotics, and sulphur masks.

[Mini Rant/Word to the wise: Research your actives before plunking down an obscene amount of money for a product. If a ingredient is not in the INCI, then it's likely marketing maurading around in a lab coat. Also, I don't trust research that isn't peer reviewed, or is sponsored by the company hawking the product.]

My skin before I started using the peel:

Oily
Active acne that wouldn't budge. I've had some of these spots for YEARS.
Lots of scars
Sallow complexion
Lots of huge pores

I started using the peel once a week, each week adding a minute until I hit the max reccomended time.

I've been using this peel now for about 8 weeks, and have noticed a dramatic improvement. The first couple of weeks I still had active acne, but my complexion looked almost dewy and I noticed a few shallow lines start to disappear.

By week 3 a noticable decrease in active acne was noted, and my pores had started to become less noticable.

Week 8 was during my cycle and instead of the vicious breakout that signals the start of my period, I only had THREE! count them THREE! smallish pimples that cleared up in a couple of days. I'm so happy I could tap dance!

Sometimes I will be a teeny bit pink and tender the day after I peel, but nothing serious. I also have not experienced any visable peeling (which I wasn't expecting since this particular peel at this strength is considered a chemical exfoliation and not a true skin peel).

This week I did my first TCA 12.5% peel, and I'm waiting for the peeling to finish before I can gauge if there is any initial improvement.

On top of that I've changed my daily routine to:

AM: Skin Actives: Salicylic wash (very gentle) Vitamin C in the AM, UNT tinted sunscreen
PM: Skin Actives Salicylic wash, and "Let's Make Collegen" serum

I still have damage to repair, but my active acne has slowed down to a couple of minor pimples per month and clear up quickly, and the fine lines I was starting to see are slowly vanishing. I can live with that!

A word of caution. I've seen a lot of folks on the internet saying they started bang out the gate with 50% Glycolic or 30% TCA with no former peel experince, and seemingly very little knowlege about the chemistry of their skin, the mechanism of what they are doing, or why a chemical peel is able to do what it does.

Please do your research.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and a current chem student, which gives me a bit of a unique perspective. When done properly, there is no reason why anyone (who's skin condition is suitable for this treatment) can't benefit from doing a home chemical peel.

Do a skin test prior to any unknown peel type (this includes changing brands), or change in strength. If I have a bad reaction to XYZ peel type/brand at 8%; I can't imagine what it would be at 18%.

Increase the strength of your peels SLOWLY, and be sure to use sunscreen every single day - whether you leave the house or not.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/2/2012 5:27:00 PM More reviews by phisiggal

After having this done in a salon as a birthday treat to myself last year I went online looking for more information and found the at home peel. After reading all of the reviews I decided to give it a shot. I'm on week 5 and decided to write this review after a slight reaction. Weeks 1-4 were fine and I usually went a minute or two longer. The tingling is what I'd call a cool stinging sensation and not painful. I just fan myself with a magazine for a little cool air. About day 2 after each application my skin starts to 'purge' (nothing major just some blemishes) but then clears up within a day leaving my skin feeling nice and I think it looks 'fresher'. Week 5 I got brave and went right from 8 minutes to 12. 2 days go by and I wake up with little bumps scattered across my cheeks and forehead. They were so small you couldn't even see them unless you were staring at my face 2 inches away (which I made my husband do). They did not itch and were not red or painful, I just learned my lesson, skipped this week and will resume at the 8 minute mark next week. Will withhold final Overall Rating until I'm done with sample size.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2012 10:54:00 PM More reviews by nadben27

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After always reading reviews before to make any cosmetic purchase I feel I do have to let others know about my experience. I am just saying that because is my first time making a product review and I hope it will help anybody on making the decision on getting the product or no. I am on my lates 20'. I do suffer from ocassional acne, which is good for me after what I had to go through when I was 23, my face was full of blemishes that left my face with scars. I do not count with the money to have expensives treatment that may or may not work on me, however after reading the reviews for this chemical peels I decided to give it a try and so far so good. I am on my forth week, I did the test pach the morning I got the peel, which was very fast shipping! And the same night after not getting any skin reaction I applied it all over my face for a minute and half. It sting just a little and I neutralize it with just water. The day after I did not see much of a difference just I notice my face was a little more moisture. The second week I left the peel for four minutes and the next day same result. On the third week I left it for six minutes, I applied a lot more of the peel, next day my skin was glowing, my discolorations seems to be less noticeable because concealer make them almos gone. I am very positive that by the eight week this percentage of glycolic will make my skin look more even. I will update. When I finish with it I want to go for the lactic acid 55% to finally see what happen with the tca 12.5%. If you want to ask me I am going with it just let me know.