August 20, 2014 | 1040 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2014 5:57:00 PM More reviews by diepset1

Why does everyone love this perfume so much? I lived in France for about a year and took a class on art and my teacher was French, and she said that she disliked this perfume and found it much too strong. I have always disliked the fragrance ever since I was a young girl, but to hear it from an actual French person...well, I was happy to be free to speak my mind about it. First of all, it smells like an old lady who spilled bad wine all over herself, but never cleaned it all off. Secondly, perfume doesn't come cheap if you buy a genuine bottle of it from a designer. And Chanel ain't cheap. Third... don't believe the hype and just buy it. Smell it for yourself because I knew some people who actually like it, but it's their choice. It didn't work for me, but it must work for someone else.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 11:37:00 PM More reviews by Esmay

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Child Alert! Don't try this if you are one.

11 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2014 11:01:00 PM More reviews by SummerDay89

Grandma alert! So disgusting. I don't care how iconic this is; it's overpowering and reeks!! I get nauseous just smelling the sprayer.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 1:47:00 PM More reviews by jen5276

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried to wear this when I was in my early 20s...and it just didn't work for me at the time...I LOVED the scent, but felt it just didn't sit right with my body chemistry..My boyfriend purchased this for me recently, and I just love it now! Normally, I can't wear florals, but this one works for me...just smells rich and classy. My new favorite.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/7/2014 11:03:00 AM More reviews by nero77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Vintage EDT.

A truly perfectly balanced floral done in the way only Chanel could do. It is delicate and classy as well as being alluring and sensual, as if giving off a warm glow around the person who wears it, like a soft, golden "aura" following them.

It is subtle, but it compliments your own natural skin beautifully and it a natural way... as if enhancing your presence and making you feel beautiful and confident at the same time.

Ernest Beaux, the genius that he was, knew women so well, this fragrance seems to work and adapt differently on each persons skin. It has universal appeal... and works well with women of ANY culture, creed or generation. There is a reason why this one is hard to beat, even after 90 years, and why it will still be around 90 years from now.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2014 2:49:00 PM More reviews by Rashmithomas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I so badly wanted to love this because it is such an iconic fragrance. In fact, I even wore it to my wedding (mostly because the bottle looks so timeless in photos). I don't love it though. I kind of like it. Kind of. It smells like old lady, its way too intense (I have the EDP) and it hurts my nose in the first few hours. After a while though, it mellows out and smells quite nice (although still not something I'd choose considering how many other options there are out there). I'm keeping it though for those days when I want to smell really mature and classy, because it IS classy and so iconic; just not sure if it is true to my personality.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2014 1:56:00 PM More reviews by shadedmaryy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Wanted a large bottle of No 5 premiere but changed my mind and got a small of this and a small Premiere because I could not decide at the time. I wear No 5 a lot more than Premiere now but really they are both lovely sweet 'keys' to been a relaxed beautiful woman, very feminine, romantic, womanly smelling.
I feel comfortable wearing this one at anytime, it always makes me feel very special and its not too strong on me, I wish it were just a few notches stronger, but since its not I can easily wear a lot of it all over.
I am very pleased to have a bottle of No 5 in my small collection of fragrances.
I believe its pleasing to God for us humans to enjoy perfume.
Chanel No 5 is stunning, clean, crisp and fresh with a touch of warmth. A very well rounded floral, and if I put my nose to my wrist and imagine it on a much younger lady than myself. I think yes it will work wonderfully if she is feminine but not on a rough girl, that would just look brow raising weird.
I would like to get more Chanel fragrances.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 11:53:00 AM More reviews by cocochanel4ever

If somebody would tell me 2 years ago I will fall in love with Chanel no 5, I would laugh. I hated it a lot, but after having baby my taste buds changed. And I love love love number 5! I have it in every concentration: in pure parfum (which I love the most), edp, and edt. Every concentration smells differently. I think to get this magical smell, you need to use as little as possible. I started with pure parfum first- tiny dap on my wrist was enough. Soon I could not fall asleep if I didn't have it on me. Now I use it all the time. I don't believe that this fragrance is only for special occasions, life is too short, I want to enjoy it all the time. I have a lot of perfumes but number 5 has special place in my heart. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by SecondCityPrincess

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I honestly adore this perfume. I don't know whether it's partially because I've fallen for it's story, because it's always been the ultimate symbol of glamour, it's place in history or purely because of it's totally unique scent but even though it costs quite a bit and I'm not the biggest earner I never feel like I've lost out by buying a bottle. There's nothing I love more than looking in my perfume shelf and seeing a full bottle of it just sitting there. The packaging is iconic and in it's simplicity probably one of the most beautiful perfume bottles of all time, perfectly encapsulating Coco's ideas of beauty. The scent itself is just breathtaking. If I ever feel down I spray a bit in the air in front of me because it's just so comforting yet at the same time, empowering. It smells like so many things and that makes it smell like nothing else. It lasts for ages and even with a small spray, you'll catch a sniff of it on yourself from throughout the day. This perfume gives me confidence that I just don't get from any other perfume or shoes, clothes or even make-up. I know it's been criticised for being an "old lady scent" but someone (I genuinely can't remember who) explained it perfectly to me. The old women that No.5 brings to mind were the flappers in the 20s, the glamourous women of the 30s and the pin ups of the 40s. They all grew old and kept wearing the same perfume. It's lasted this long because it deserves to and because as Coco intended, it really does smell like a woman. Sorry if this isn't descriptive enough but the way I smell it it's warm, powdery, very floral but with a kick. Slightly soapy in the best way and the most obvious floral scent is, I would say, Jasmine. Suits anyone with the confidence to wear it.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2014 1:47:00 PM More reviews by highrise

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Bona fide, textbook Classic. I loved that it was (arguably) the first abstract perfume, smelling like nothing but itself. My mother wore Shalimar and Rive Gauche, so I don't have a family history or association with No. 5. The first bottle I bought was a splash bottle of EDT; Coco had just come out but I felt I should start with the benchmark. I didn't get it: too clean, too streamlined, not really...there? A little too sophisticated for an 18 year old.
Years later, my more educated nose (and brain) learned, compared, and now adores it. I like older bottles of the EDT which have more personality and oomph than the modern. And now I've just been gifted with the new EDP by my husband, and I love it even more. Plush without heaviness, luxe, gilded, but wearable with anything, anytime.
True luxury and beauty that anyone can own.