Yves Saint Laurent Opium Eau d'Ete

3.8

on 11/10/2012 7:27:00 PM

Reviewing Opium Eau d'Ete is not as simple as it seems. There are now three versions in Fragrantica - Opium Eau d'Ete, OEE 2003, and OEE 2004. There are pictures, which helps sort them out -- OEE has very light, gold cap, white writing on box, and in pictured bottle says just Opium and right under in small letters, Eau d'Ete. OEE2003 is in a black bottle, and OEE 2004 has a darker, slmost copper colored cap with Opium in the center of the bottle, and Eau d'Ete at the bottom.

What I have is 2004 and it's quite lovely. There is not as clear a connection to Opium as with some of the other LE's. The thick, sometimes choking middle notes are gone. This is all about a citrus opening, then heavy smoke - the kind of smokey wood of old school patchouli, sandalwood, and vetiver based frags like Histoire d'Amour, Cabochard, and Miss Balmain. There's an incense feel to the smoke as well, probably because of the clearly resinous notes - myrrh and what I'm getting as maybe peru balsam? Ylang ylang isn't mentioned, though carnation is. There's more floralcy and transparency in this one, and I can smell carnation and a smoky, aromatic jasmine being involved.

This should be a heavy fragrance - the smoke, wood, carnation, jasmine, incense, resin all seem explicitly heavy and dense. But it's not. Maybe the aromatic quality of the jasmine? The dryness of the incense and wood? After a long while of drydown there's more of the sense of Opium in the spicy middle notes. But if someone who knew Opium pretty well smelled this, without clues I'm not sure at all that they'd link it to the original.

As always, the packaging is exquisite.

on 7/19/2010 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

When I walked by and sampled this scent I as in intrigue! It is so spicy and sweet and really unique. I went back and bought it the next day , I still love it every summer.
much lighter than the original opium and musre suitable for a younger woman.

on 4/17/2006 11:08:00 PM

I bought this because I love Opium, but Opium was being too smokey for me lately, so I was told this was the answer. I bought it, smelled pleasant enough, but didn't wear it too much, tried to give it to my Mom, she didn't really like it, then sent it to my best friend in N.Y. (send her all my fragrances that I get tired of) she didn't like it either. Well..I tried

on 4/19/2005 2:28:00 PM

I'm not a fan of this version of Opium.
To me, it retains the worst aspects of Opium - the musty-ness and the orange-citrus notes - and gets rid of the best ones - the spices and rich rose and carnation florals.

For me, I prefer the Opium parfum and EDT over this.

For a lighter Opium, I like the current LE - Fleur de Shanghai. It's floral and sweet but a tiny bit softer and less spicy than the regular Opium.

on 4/19/2005 1:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is absolutely delicious... lighter than the original (of which I am a huge fan) but not dumbed-down at all. It's a bit crisper and cleaner than regular Opium, but with the original's wonderful spiciness and sophistication left intact. Opium Eau d'Ete could be a good choice for those who like the idea of Opium but find it too heavy... for me, it's a fabulous warm-weather version of a decadent favorite. Like the original Opium, this is an intense fragrance, so it's probably best for big dates or other special occasions.

on 3/14/2005 6:08:00 PM

Wow. I'm surprised there aren't more reviews for this fragrance. I love it. What I love is that it smells fresh while retaining the basic character of Opium. I find the edt rather harsh and heavy, while the Eau d'Ete is just perfect. It's a very good value, too.

on 9/28/2004 11:42:00 AM

excellent. exactly like opium, but lighter, fresher, a bit more citrus-y.

you dont have to love opium to love this. i appreciate opium but it's a bit heavy & spicy for me. this is PERFECT. lots of compliments.

a funny comment: i think this spells best on those with a darker, more exotic persona. i cant imagine a blond pulling this off unless she was a claudia shiffer (who has a mysteriousness about her, IMHO).

it's light for people who like rich scents. if you're into the fruity, unisex, blander scents, this will be "strong."

on 9/13/2004 7:30:00 PM

This is so much better than Opium edt. I gave mine away after buying this. This is much softer. The heavy/harsh notes have been removed, leaving what's best about Opium. Imo this is similar to the parfum.

on 8/23/2004 12:20:00 AM

This is a lighter, more transparent version of the original. YSL did a wonderful job keeping the character of the original parfum in their summer version. I will always want to have a bottle of this in my wardrobe.

on 8/17/2004 6:27:00 PM

Ewwww! This shouldn't be considered a version of Opium. It's not a thing like the original. Smells sickeningly sweet, like a gross old lady.

Popular Fragrances