Ralph Lauren Romance

3.9

Ahhh...Ralph Lauren Romance, where have you been all my life..?!!? Okay, just kidding..a little!! ;)

But seriously, this is just something I want to always have a bottle on hand. Those tester bottles always reel me in!! This smells just so..womanly, slightly sophisticated, not overpowering, just to me, it is a comforting smell. Definitely in my opinion not a 'little girl's perfume' (ie. teens, tweens, young twenty-somethings, the Juicy Couture market..) but a grown woman scent. Weird, I know, but that is what I feel when I smell this.

Classy. Timeless. Sophisticated yet not too frilly or overbearing or overpowering. Can build up the spray if you want a heavier handed type of a scent. Or one quick spritz. Either way, this lasts for hours on me, pretty much all day of 12 hours and beyond and the dry-down scent is the same as when first applied, which I appreciate and to me that is the true mark of a really good perfume, imho.

I think this is great for everyday, Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall, just all around a scent you can wear pretty much anywhere, any time of day. Perfect!!

I am such a greenhorn when it comes to describing scents, so I will just say to me I detect a little floral and a tad very tad sweet smell, and predominantly I pick up on a fresh clean smell..all rolled into one..amazing!!! The notes according to fragrantica.com are:
MAIN ACCORDS
1)floral
2) fresh spicy
3) rose
4) woody
5) musky
6) white floral

I really do not detect the woody or musky scent, but then they are far down on the list. I do detect the white floral, which is at the bottom of the list. Interesting.

I also love the sleek, classy, timeless bottle. No frills......just classic and classy looking.

Im sure by now everyone and her mother has either owned or at least tested this perfume...but I just tried it for the first time today and I find it so odd I felt compelled to write a reviews about it. Actually I bought a small 30ml for $20 from Shoppers unsniffed. Do I regret it...not really. Would I buy again...not likely. For the first little while I find this scent extremely floral and I found it classy, elegant, feminine...too refined for my casual tastes and lifestyle really. I figured I would save it but for fancy occasions. A wedding perhaps. Then it softened a bit and I thought hmmm...perhaps more wearable than I thought. Then...bam! Mens cologne. To be more specific, and completely honest...the dry down to me smells like a man after hes been working/sweating all day...a mixture of man scent/old spice deodorant/aftershave/testosterone everything manly wrapped into one. This so quickly went from being too feminine for me to too masculine in like an hour. who? what? how? why? I read about a bazillion reviews on this perfume and there's so many contrasting opinions about this scent...weird weird weird. Interesting...but I doubt I will be wearing this outside of the house

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I don't like it in the begining, I prefer it after a couple of hours, but still, I feel this one is not for me, I don't feel identified by the scent.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I really want to love this scent. I love the notes (in real life those are my favorite flowers!) and the simple, clear square bottle is so beautiful to me. However, after wearing this for several days I have to be honest with myself -- this isn't for me.

I would definitely put this in the same category as Estee Lauder Pleasures. It's very dry and clean, and sharp like Pleasures. There's no sweetness or headiness. But then, as it dries down I begin smelling a very shower-fresh musk. To me, these musk notes are identical to Orange Sapphire by Bath and Body Works.

Again, I want to like this so much it's just not something I want to keep wearing. The main reason is that it just smells very masculine on me. I don't find anything feminine about this scent. It's clean and dry, spicy and musky and once it dries down it smells like men's cologne. I had the exact same experience with Orange Sapphire.

I would recommend this to those who like fragrances that evoke images of sun-dried linen, skin musk, and spicy soapy scents.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I love the smell of this perfume. The last time I bought a bottle, the silly SA acted as if it was outdated and I should go with a more modern perfume. Well, whatever! This smells so clean and fresh. It reminds me of Dove soap, fresh pink sweetheart roses, & musk. It's so simple but so lovely. And it was the only perfume I could wear while pregnant. I will always buy it as long as they make it!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Don't like it -- never have. Not this or Pleasures either -- both wildly popular, but I've never liked either one, and I find them similar. They share the same thin, sharp, screechy, shrill fragrance profile, in my humble opinion. Nails on chalkboard, to my nose.

Unfortunately, my poor perpetually-broke son bought me a gift set of Romance for Mother's Day two or three years ago -- after having looked up "popular scents for mothers" online (or some such search). Is this considered a "mom scent"?

I've never understood the ads for Romance -- a beautiful couple, kissing while on horseback riding in the rugged woodsy outdoors -- how does that fit this scent? What's so "romantic" about this scent anyway?

When it first launched in 1998, I was completely anosmic to it -- it smelled like nothing to me -- and it was Belk's #1 bestseller -- it was flying off the shelves. I kept testing & testing, trying to figure out what all the fuss was about. Now, I do smell it, but it smells like window cleaner to me (and so does Pleasures).

Here are the notes, per parfumo.net:

Top Notes - Freesia, Ginger, Chamomile, Lychee, Pot marigold, Rose
Heart Notes - Lily, Lotus, Violet, White violet
Base Notes - Oakmoss, Exotic woods, Musk, Patchouli

Except for the d/c'd Notorious, the only Ralph Lauren perfume I've ever really liked -- and I actually *love* it and have gone through two bottles -- is the soft musky Ralph Lauren Blue (wrote separate review).

ADDENDUM 9/8/15: OK, I wore this today because I wanted something clean -- like a palate-cleanser, sort of. But no no no, still can't wear this. I made it to lunch hour but was hating that I smelled like Windex to myself -- or Raid -- and at lunch I pulled out my Kuumba Made Egyptian Musk roller-ball and rolled away! It was all I had in my purse, but I needed to soften the screech, and it worked. I'm putting Romance back in my closet tonight. Bleh.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Romance is a fresh, feminine floral fragrance with a touch of spiciness.

Carnation and violet shine through. When I wear this, catch wafts of spiciness (must be the ginger) throughout the day.

I like this fragrance, but it isn't one I would wear often, so I purchased the rollerball. No point in investing in a bottle when I'm going to wear a particular fragrance only on occasion.

If possible, would rate with 3.5 lippies.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This has been my signature scent for the past 10 years. At the end of my current bottle I am moving on, so I wanted to write a farewell review for the scent that led me through my days as a bride and mother to two young ones.
The advertising, while 'Romantic', doesn't grab me. The whole horses, steamy kisses, thing doesn't really match this soft elegant scent. The bottle, however, is fantastic. Minimalist design, soft gray and pink colour scheme; it exactly matches both the scent and the preppy image of R.L.
On me, there is a strong ginger rose opening with a hint of citrus. Romance initially feels bright and a little spicy on me. It quickly dries down to a soft spicy, woody scent that lasts for several hours. The emphasis here on soft rather than spicy. If the opening puts you off, wait it out a bit as the drydown is so lovely.
It lasts all day for me, and I need to reapply if going out at night. It is also very work/child friendly and won't overpower your neighbours.
The mood of this, as you might have guessed, is soft, restrained, feminine. This is not a power scent; it feels young and ladylike.
Over the past decade, I have gamely tried samples of other perfumes but always came home to this. It suited my own focus on soft femininity and the classic feel of the scent was comforting.
My babies are no longer babies, and my career is starting to move back into view. I am also older, if not wiser, and Balenciaga Paris seems like a more mature, sophisticated scent with the soft femininity I crave.
R.L. Romance defined an era in my life. I will always love it.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This smells horrendous on me. Try before you buy. On my skin it reeks of industrial chemicals/cleaners, lol.

This one is a "like it a lot" scent, quite womanly and classy. Others have described the notes but I really appreciate the fresh spicy undertones. I scored a large bottle on Ebay and I only wear it occasionally, so I will likely have it while I am on the planet. A tiny amount,1 spray, is sufficient and it lasts most of the day. Suitable for most work places. I took one lippie off for lack of distinctive character.....I gravitate toward more avant- garde fragrances, but many of those should not be worn to work. This really does evoke pure , clean, traditional Romance and for that reason, it is quickly becoming a classic.

Popular Fragrances