August 23, 2014 | 1046 users online

Eye Shadow - Stila - Puppy Eyeshadow

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 12:23:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's not surprising that Puppy has such a high rating here on MUA. For me, this is one of those perfect light brown/deep beige shades that works well for a very natural look or as an absolutely perfect transition/blending shade to use with more emphatic looks. I don't often mess with my brows but I can even use Puppy on my brows for a really natural look and not worry about leaving the house looking like Groucho Marx! Years ago, I bought MAC Wedge because that seemed to be a "holy grail" blending/transition shade for almost everyone. It wasn't a great colour for me but Puppy, which looks quite similar, is just different enough that it works much better. It's also much more pigmented and much smoother to apply and to work with.

The picture at the top of the page is not what Puppy looks like at all; it is NOT that yellowy/butterscotch shade, but rather a soft light brown. Not a terribly exciting looking colour but it is a really versatile work-horse shadow for making eye shadow looks more harmonious and unified in the blending process.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2013 4:08:00 AM More reviews by Zanita27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love stila eyeshadows and puppy is my everyday nude. Its a matte, beigey brown that i use as a lid color. Its pigmented, but not as pigmented as their shimmery shadows are. I love pairing this up with wheat as the highlighter, and coco or golight for the crease

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2012 11:48:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

This is one of my favorite matte shadows, a great basic allover lid color, or even a crease color if you're fair like me. (Tho I usually use a deeper crease color; Stila Twig in the crease goes great with this.) It's a very light neutral brown, almost a tan or beige color. The pigmentation is great for such a light color, and the texture is so fine and non-powdery, which is really impressive for a matte. I have theBalm Meet Matte pallette, and Matt Gallagher from that pallette is very similar to this, but I really like Stila's shadows better.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2012 6:26:00 PM More reviews by schwabj

I keep hearing that Puppy is discontinued, but I just bought it in the Stila "Ladies Who Lunch Kit" at Ulta for $32 (This kit is a great value btw; it came with 3 full size eyeshadows in Kitten, Puppy, and Twig, a full size liquid eyeliner in Rock Candy, a crease brush, and a sample size mascara. Since each eyeshadow is $18 alone, this kit is well worth it!). Puppy is medium matte brown, and has a soft, buttery texture. I like to use it as an all over lid color with a darker brown as a crease color, as a crease color itself (I have fair skin), or as a cheek contour. Very versatile product and it works well. Yay!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2009 3:15:00 PM More reviews by marthaquest

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Champara is a new matte by Stila which is said to be a dupe of Puppy (I don't have Puppy but the descriptions in the reviews below sound just like the Champara which i have) ... it's in the Matte Quad which is also part of the Minimalist set sold at sephora and on beautycrunch.com. And it is also nearly identical to the dark shade in the Stila Contour Trio (also at beautycrunch from time to time) -- this makes sense as it's the cheek contour (as a reviewer below said Puppy was used to contour models' cheeks in 2007). The Contour Trio is 3 very soft, buttery shades which could be used on eyes or face, one is a beautiful pale matte cream shade, and the 3rd is slightly shimmery shade similar to Champara which may be Latte ... If you are looking for Puppy don't pay eBay prices, look at these 2 Stila sets first.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2008 2:37:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

A very sheer, pale brown color, quite neutral (no obvious gray or red undertones). Matte finish with no sheen or sparkle. No scent or taste (just kidding--it tastes just like puppies). This is a basic, boring neutral but very serviceable and of the type that is surprisingly not so easy to find since a lot of drugstore neutrals tend to be shiny or glittery or chalky. The texture of this is so silky that it doesn't even think about chalkiness. Great as an everyday lid or subtle crease color if your complexion is on the lighter side. Definite repurchase.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2008 8:00:00 PM More reviews by Rts1

Puppy was used a the Marchesa fall 07 show to contour the fair-skinned models' cheekbones and the eye crease. I have been using this eyeshadow mostly as a contour but it looks good as a neutral lid color or to touch up my eyebrows as well. Overall a very versatile and very blendable shadow. As previous reviewers have stated this is discontinued, but it still pops up on ebay from time to time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2007 11:12:00 AM More reviews by azjavagirl

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Sob!!! Can't believe Stila discontinued one of my basic, everyday shadows that I can't find a dupe for! (I've tried LM Whiskey, and while it's good, it's just not the same neutral brown.)

As Deandra notes below, this is a "true and faithful" go-to shadow (how appropriate that something so true and faithful is called puppy. :-] ) This is the perfect matte golden brown that warms up the crease on low-makeup days. Great with a light base (Starlight, Ecru, or Bouquet) and a pop-of-color liner for an understated polished look. In a pinch it can work as a brow filler or contour color for the face. Smooth, not too warm, sheer but layerable.

How could Stila d/c this? I've purchased backups to hoard before it's gone forever....

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2007 11:13:00 PM More reviews by cosmokid

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

When I first put this on I thought that I had wasted my money as it was barely discernable on my eyelids, but lo and behold, it really helped make my eyes pop and it doesn't even look like I'm wearing makeup. This shade is great on its own blended into the crease for a natural, but groomed look. Goes beautifully with pretty much most Stila shades, which in my book are the best shades on the market for the money. Great staying power.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2007 12:25:00 PM More reviews by LaChicKitten

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy this product. Most people use it for the no-makeup look, which it is great for, but I like to use it for a different reason: to contour! I already use BeneFit Dallas for cheek contouring, but I needed something less red/plum for my nose...and this is it. If you are very fair as I am - NC15 or NC20 - then this will work for contouring on you. But if you're not looking for that, then yes, this is also a great simple "no fuss" shadow.