October 26, 2014 | 1077 users online

Shampoo - Nexxus - Simply Silver

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2011 2:33:00 AM More reviews by colfaxt

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Now discontinued, great shampoo. Im growing out my champagne blonde and it even cleans and highlights my natural dark blonde. Love this shampoo, great every other week, makes it super clean, like a cleansing. Very messy stains my walls, above the tub, and its quite hard to get up to a good lather.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/24/2009 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Plagueofhamsters

I dyed my hair Light Reddish Blonde a few weeks ago, and it came out pretty much straight orange. So, I had the Nexxus Simply Silver left over from when I had my hair almost white this Summer, so, I figured I'd give it some time. Within two weeks, pretty much my hair was a blonde again with minimal brass left. It's a wee bit drying, but with daily use and a good conditioner, you'll be brass free in no time at all. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2008 6:57:00 PM More reviews by Extrapolate73sp

For a time, I had bleached my hair light blond and dyed it with Manic Panic's blue hair color. As a result, I need a shampoo that would help keep brassiness at bay and retain my hair color. Nexxus worked the best among the purple shampoos (it is very dark in the bottle, but don't let that scare you), though it tends to be drying. For a once or twice a week leave-in, it would probably work with most people's hair, but I found that even if I deep conditioned, my hair was still less soft and moisturized compared to when I switched to other shampoos.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2008 11:29:00 PM More reviews by riversiren

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

One of my friends uses this on her naturally gray hair and it is gorgeous. I always thought it was for people w/ gray hair until my stylist turned me onto it to get rid of the brassiness in my colored hair (it turns brassy almost instantly!!!). For getting rid of the brassiness it works EXCEPTIONALLY well. I've read a lot of comments that it is 'drying'. I don't know that I had that problem, cuz my hair isn't dry...but I'd never be able to comb it out in a zillion years if I didn't use a good leave in conditioner with it. It doesn't lather well and it works better if it's diluted or mixed with a more moisturizing shampoo (just a drop!). It isn't the very best everyday shampoo I've ever used! If you have a problem with yellowing or brassy hair, definately give this a try--but try Shi Kai first!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2007 7:57:00 PM More reviews by enydonus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Despite all the great reviews for this product, it did not work for me at all. It was harsh and damaging on my hair. The colour was recently done so not much brass was present. After using it two times in a row, 5 minutes or more each application, it actually gave me orange hair, stripping the fresh colour from my hair, and left it horribly dry even after protein treatments and deep conditioning. I would never buy this product again. I was outraged and promptly returned it, demanding a refund which the salon was kind enough to grant.
The second ingredient is sodium laureth sulfate, which should have been enough of a warning that this was going to be harsh on my curly, lightly bleached hair (dark ash blonde from light brown). I'll be trying Bonacure next, hopefully it will cut the brass. I tried toning a test strand but it just turned green. Avoid this product if you're using it to tone orange, it was okay on the highlights so it would be fine for grey or yellowy hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2006 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Scarlett_Canada

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Unfortunately this is just too drying for me. It's another de-brassing shampoo, but I have found much gentler ones that I prefer.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/15/2006 10:03:00 AM More reviews by desha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I notice more reviews by blondes trying to fix a color disaster. I have grey/silver hair. I'm African American w/relaxed hair. Relaxers turn my hair a funny color green and this shampoo will restore my hair color after a touch-up. However, my hair is porous and if I use this shampoo too often or leave it on too long, it will stain my hair that ugly color blue. I had the hardest time getting the blue out and almost tossed the shampoo until I purchased a product by a Spanish company called Salerm. Their shampoo for white hair is awesome and it removed the blue from my hair. It took a couple of shampoos. I had pretty much sworn off the Simply Silver but then I had a REVELATION. I decided to add a couple of Vitamin E capsules to a small amount of shampoo. The Vit E capsules really dilute the shampoo and make it almost watery. But by diluting it this way, I am able to use this shampoo without getting that awful blue tint. Once diluted, Simply Silver won't lather a whole lot, but the results on my hair are fantastic: it makes my silver hair literally sparkle. All you have to do is puncture the Vit E capsule and squeeze it into the shampoo. But don't do the whole bottle, just the amount you are using for the shampoo. I read about the Vit E tip in a magazine. Adding Vit E is supposed to increase the conditioning of your shampoo. All I know is it really helps me avoid the blues in my hair with the Simply Silver and was better than diluting it with water which is recommended on the bottle's instructions. But I still prefer the Salerm shampoo. I'm trying to use up this Nexxus stuff. I'll probably re-purchase because it's terrific undiluted right after a relaxer for getting rid of the brassy tones.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2006 4:22:00 PM More reviews by yumino

I moved from red to light brown with very, very poor results--my hair was practically a yellow orange. Always use ash dye, which helps; but when it starts fading, get that horrible brassy stuff again. This is a fabulous fix, and gives me the light brown I'm looking for w/ none of the brass. I put it on 2x wk in the bath while I'm shaving my legs, for about 5 minutes, and then I use a deep conditioner. I don't think I could use more than 2x week tho because it is very drying. But as a treatment, if you will, it does just what it is supposed to do.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2006 3:53:00 PM More reviews by lubenica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

OK, I was also a victim of the "higlights hell", with my regular, usually brilliant hair dresser. I don't know what happened to her on this day, but my hair turned out half white at the back of my head, and half egg-yolk yellow, at the front. YUUUUCK!!! Now, white is good in my book, but this yellow, oh, my God, it is awful. After two days, I went back to her to have this fixed, she tried to bleach it out more, but only managed to get them the colour of sugar bananas, still very yuck, brassy and cheap looking.
Anyway, I didn't want to bleach my hair any more, as it would surely fall out, so I read MUA reviews about this product and ordered it.
It really WORKED!!! Now, I didn't get the beautiful whiteish highlights that I wanted, it really needs a new bleach job, this is only a shampoo, after all. BUT, it removed that awfull gold brassiness that glistens in the sun, and deposited some ash colour in the yellow highlights, after just one time use. So now, I can actually look myself in the mirror without screaming, and maybe my highlights can, with the help of this product, wait another couple of months for another try at bleaching them. I think that this shampoo is the best one can get for reducing brassiness and yellow, it really works (but protect pale clothing, white grout, porose surfaces etc, as it is deepest purple in colour). I am so happy I've read about it here, thank you very much everyone, it is really excellent stuff, and surprisingly reasonably priced. No it won't leave you with Gwen Stefanie's platinum blonde, but it will rescue you from looking like freshly hatched chicken, with eggyolk on top of its head....Now, I am going to by Nexxus Emergence for some heavy-duty proteing treatment, I'll let you know about it.....

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2006 11:44:00 AM More reviews by MINX3030

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Over the course of my 22 years I have purchased thousands of beauty products, hair products, creams, treatments, and innumerable shades of lipstick, shadow, gloss, etc. I have repurchased maybe...3 of those thousands of products. Simply Silver is one of them. I relied on this shampoo to keep my platinum blonde hair looking shimmery and white for the years I bleached it, and now it will keep my (dyed!) silver hair looking sleek and sophisticated. I know that the liter of Simply Silver I purchased from a Trade Secret bargain bin is going to keep the brassy yellow shades away and keep my new hair a gorgeous shade of shimmering chinchilla silver.