December 22, 2014 | 1814 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Tarte - Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer (Smooth Operator)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2014 5:26:00 AM More reviews by MaliceInMakeupLand

For reference, my skin tone match is MAC NC40, combo/oily skin and in my 30's, I have this in Tan.

I have very oily skin around my T zone, whilst this product is oil free it does not control oil or stay matte on me. I am usually using blotting tissues within 2-3hrs of application, especially now since it's in the middle of the hot Australian summer. I find I have to use a powder to set it which helps it stay matte for a little longer. Definitely not recommended if you have extremely oily skin or want a fuller coverage.

The product has shimmer, which isn't over the top, but it would have been better if Tarte made it completely matte especially for us combo/oily skinned women since shimmer is not doing us any favors by adding more shine!

It's pricey for what it is and hard to get in Australia, however this is good for the girl who wants natural cosmetics without harsh parabens and very sheer coverage. Lasting power is around 4-5hrs on my combo/oily skin.

I think this would suit women with dry to normal skin best.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/5/2014 6:28:00 PM More reviews by lylaura

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Had to return this.

I was really looking forward to this BB cream, I had tried the tinted moisturizer and loved the natural perfect look, but that one made me break out, since this is oil free I was hoping....

1. Coverage is light which I prefer, but it doesn't look natural. Was a bit slippery on my face and it is not at all like a BB cream.

2. Well this one made my skin sting a bit and broke me out all over.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/8/2014 4:24:00 PM More reviews by ldoucet

I bought this in Sephora after a beauty rep put it on me. It looked good in the store but within 20mins of leaving it started changing colour and turning orange and also started stinging a little. After an hour, I looked like an oompa-loompa :( I have sensitive combination skin and after a long search and trying many foundations, I found my HG foundation in MAC Matchmaster SPF 15.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by BuffyDaLipGlossEater

I have terrible combination skin, and it's difficult to find a foundation that didn't gather on my cheeks and makes them look cakey.

I got a sample of a bb cream from Sephora while back, and I liked the results: it didn't cake and my skin remained looking smooth.
I was getting ready to run out of said sample, and I decided to use the Ulta gift card that I received and find something similar.

A sales representative was kind enough to give me a full test drive.

There were no funny smells (unlike the sample from Sephora), and it went on smooth and didn't feel heavy. Best of all, it didn't gather into little patches on my face.

The only downfall is that it's a tad bit expensive. Otherwise, I think it's well worth purchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2014 8:48:00 AM More reviews by candyA23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

For reference, my skin is light with yellow/beige undertones & is normal/combination, more dry during colder months. I bought the shade Light-Medium (light complexions with beige undertones according to Sephora's website) & tested this out for a little under a week. I've tested the moisturizer in additon to just Makeup Forever's HD Finishing Powder & different combinations of other products, including Smashbox Photofinish Primer Light, ULTA Color Correcting Foundation & Primer Stick (as a concealer), Lorac POREFection Baked Perfecting Powder in Light, Mac MSF in Light Plus, and Mac Fix Spray (or sometimes Urban Decay's All-Nighter Makeup Setting Spray).

Pros:

- The texture is not too thick or thin.
- No weird scents.
- Moisturizes fairly well.
- The coverage starts off sheer, but is buildable and it applies smoothly.
- This would be a good base to even out your skin slightly before applying a foundation, concealer, and/or colored powder.
- With each combination listed above, I've been impressed with the lasting power of this tinted moisturizer. It's lasted longer than some foundations I've tried in the past.
- It hardly transfers (at least when you've got a little setting powder on top, not sure if this would be the case if no powder was used).

Cons:

- Expensive (took off 1 lippie).
- If acne scars, roseacea, and/or blemishes are a problem for you, this won't completely cover it, but I'm sure that's the case with most tinted moisturizers.
- Starts looking just a tad shiny in my t-zone around midday.
- It's kind of hard to completely wash off. Even if I use a facial scrub, I still find some of it when I go over my face with my toner.
- Not a whole lot of color choices. Depending on your undertone, this might not work for everyone's skin color.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by yayapea

Great tinted moisturizer for the summer and fall, lightweight and moisturizing. but for dry skin, I'm worried it won't be hydrating enough in the winter, but I guess I will wait and see. This is fairly priced for its quality and quantity. Most foundations come in 1 oz, this is 1.7 oz. Yes, I might use more of this than I do with foundation but I still think this tube will last a long time. Packaging is good, my favorite way of makeup dispense is a pump, and a squeeze tube comes second for hygienic factors. SPF is another added bonus, since I'm mostly indoors everyday, it's just enough SPF for me without having to reach for sunscreen. I don't use a primer with this and it still lasts well and wears beautifully throughout the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Pinksk8wax

LOVE THIS FOR SUMMER !!!!! Perfect match to my skin and coverage is perfect- it's a little heavier than most tinted moisturizers but lighter than a foundation. I don't buy in to the "Amazonian clay" making a difference though. I think it's more of a gimmick to sell product. That being said, I definitely recommend this!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by SimplePleasures

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This "BB" replacement for the old Smooth Operator Tinted Moisturizer leaves me wanting. It's a decent enough BB with light coverage that evens out the skin tone, and it moisturizes slightly. However, I was in love with SO because its coverage was equivalent to a natural-looking light-medium foundation, it provided more of a moisturizing punch, and as an added bonus it controlled oil very well. I don't need a lot of coverage but SO was just right, but with this new one I feel like I have to layer it in certain places. This new version has a gel-cream texture, as opposed to SO's cream texture. You would think that this gel consistency would control oil even better, but it doesn't. Basically, it falls a little bit shot of SO in all regards. If I hadn't tried the original SO I probably would have given this BB four lippies, but now I expect better from Tarte. For this price I expect really superior performance, and this replacement product no longer delivers in that regard. If you want very light coverage and you prefer a gel-cream texture, you might still really like this product but it's just not for me.

Finally, as a sidebar, this product should be packaged in an opaque container like the rest of the Amazonian Clay foundation products in the line. It contains antioxidants that break down when exposed to light. The packaging means you're not getting all the skincare benefits from the product that you should.

I blame the "BB" trend for killing my favourite tinted moisturizer. RIP Smooth Operator.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by JeanLouise

I loved this stuff - was my holy grail tinted moisturizer. It agreed with my skin and gave me the coverage I was looking for. SADLY I just ran out, and went to buy more, and they aren't making my shade any more (Agent 00)! It's awful. The closest one they have is for light skins with pink or yellow undertones, but it's too dark for me. I think it was the old Agent 04. Such a bummer, now I'm on another mission to find a decent, non-chemically laden tinted moisturizer that agrees with my skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2014 2:06:00 PM More reviews by yallagabig

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product wasn't terrible, but I don't think I'll be buying it (I got a free sample from Sephora).
Pros: really nice consistency, beautiful color (the only BB cream I have been able to find that has a yellow base instead of a pink/orange one) and great coverage -- it is very sheer and does not look cakey at all, but somehow still manages to cover all flaws (large pores, scars, etc). Also it has a nice light, fresh smell of lemons (it is not overpowering, and also fades throughout the day). Did not clog my pores.
Cons: Dries to a "dewy" finish that I actually found quite tacky and sticky -- it looked really nice and gave my face a nice soft glow, but I found it kind of uncomfortable, like it felt dirty). Also I thought this would be moisturizing, but it wasn't -- it made my oily T-zone look even more oily, and stuck to the dry patches on my cheeks, making them look and feel even drier.

I have VERY sensitive skin and this product did not irritate me, so that's a plus. I don't think it's a bad product, just not the right product for me. I think this might be good for someone who has "normal" skin, skin that is neither too oily nor too dry (for my combination skin, it brought out the worst in both).