October 22, 2014 | 1336 users online

Tinted Moisturizer - Tarte - Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer (Smooth Operator)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2014 8:48:00 AM More reviews by candyA23

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

For reference, my skin is light with yellow/beige undertones & is normal/combination, more dry during colder months. I bought the shade Light-Medium (light complexions with beige undertones according to Sephora's website) & tested this out for a little under a week. I've tested the moisturizer in additon to just Makeup Forever's HD Finishing Powder & different combinations of other products, including Smashbox Photofinish Primer Light, ULTA Color Correcting Foundation & Primer Stick (as a concealer), Lorac POREFection Baked Perfecting Powder in Light, Mac MSF in Light Plus, and Mac Fix Spray (or sometimes Urban Decay's All-Nighter Makeup Setting Spray).

Pros:

- The texture is not too thick or thin.
- No weird scents.
- Moisturizes fairly well.
- The coverage starts off sheer, but is buildable and it applies smoothly.
- This would be a good base to even out your skin slightly before applying a foundation, concealer, and/or colored powder.
- With each combination listed above, I've been impressed with the lasting power of this tinted moisturizer. It's lasted longer than some foundations I've tried in the past.
- It hardly transfers (at least when you've got a little setting powder on top, not sure if this would be the case if no powder was used).

Cons:

- Expensive (took off 1 lippie).
- If acne scars, roseacea, and/or blemishes are a problem for you, this won't completely cover it, but I'm sure that's the case with most tinted moisturizers.
- Starts looking just a tad shiny in my t-zone around midday.
- It's kind of hard to completely wash off. Even if I use a facial scrub, I still find some of it when I go over my face with my toner.
- Not a whole lot of color choices. Depending on your undertone, this might not work for everyone's skin color.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2014 9:05:00 PM More reviews by yayapea

Great tinted moisturizer for the summer and fall, lightweight and moisturizing. but for dry skin, I'm worried it won't be hydrating enough in the winter, but I guess I will wait and see. This is fairly priced for its quality and quantity. Most foundations come in 1 oz, this is 1.7 oz. Yes, I might use more of this than I do with foundation but I still think this tube will last a long time. Packaging is good, my favorite way of makeup dispense is a pump, and a squeeze tube comes second for hygienic factors. SPF is another added bonus, since I'm mostly indoors everyday, it's just enough SPF for me without having to reach for sunscreen. I don't use a primer with this and it still lasts well and wears beautifully throughout the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by Pinksk8wax

LOVE THIS FOR SUMMER !!!!! Perfect match to my skin and coverage is perfect- it's a little heavier than most tinted moisturizers but lighter than a foundation. I don't buy in to the "Amazonian clay" making a difference though. I think it's more of a gimmick to sell product. That being said, I definitely recommend this!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2014 1:26:00 PM More reviews by SimplePleasures

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This "BB" replacement for the old Smooth Operator Tinted Moisturizer leaves me wanting. It's a decent enough BB with light coverage that evens out the skin tone, and it moisturizes slightly. However, I was in love with SO because its coverage was equivalent to a natural-looking light-medium foundation, it provided more of a moisturizing punch, and as an added bonus it controlled oil very well. I don't need a lot of coverage but SO was just right, but with this new one I feel like I have to layer it in certain places. This new version has a gel-cream texture, as opposed to SO's cream texture. You would think that this gel consistency would control oil even better, but it doesn't. Basically, it falls a little bit shot of SO in all regards. If I hadn't tried the original SO I probably would have given this BB four lippies, but now I expect better from Tarte. For this price I expect really superior performance, and this replacement product no longer delivers in that regard. If you want very light coverage and you prefer a gel-cream texture, you might still really like this product but it's just not for me.

Finally, as a sidebar, this product should be packaged in an opaque container like the rest of the Amazonian Clay foundation products in the line. It contains antioxidants that break down when exposed to light. The packaging means you're not getting all the skincare benefits from the product that you should.

I blame the "BB" trend for killing my favourite tinted moisturizer. RIP Smooth Operator.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by JeanLouise

I loved this stuff - was my holy grail tinted moisturizer. It agreed with my skin and gave me the coverage I was looking for. SADLY I just ran out, and went to buy more, and they aren't making my shade any more (Agent 00)! It's awful. The closest one they have is for light skins with pink or yellow undertones, but it's too dark for me. I think it was the old Agent 04. Such a bummer, now I'm on another mission to find a decent, non-chemically laden tinted moisturizer that agrees with my skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2014 2:06:00 PM More reviews by yallagabig

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product wasn't terrible, but I don't think I'll be buying it (I got a free sample from Sephora).
Pros: really nice consistency, beautiful color (the only BB cream I have been able to find that has a yellow base instead of a pink/orange one) and great coverage -- it is very sheer and does not look cakey at all, but somehow still manages to cover all flaws (large pores, scars, etc). Also it has a nice light, fresh smell of lemons (it is not overpowering, and also fades throughout the day). Did not clog my pores.
Cons: Dries to a "dewy" finish that I actually found quite tacky and sticky -- it looked really nice and gave my face a nice soft glow, but I found it kind of uncomfortable, like it felt dirty). Also I thought this would be moisturizing, but it wasn't -- it made my oily T-zone look even more oily, and stuck to the dry patches on my cheeks, making them look and feel even drier.

I have VERY sensitive skin and this product did not irritate me, so that's a plus. I don't think it's a bad product, just not the right product for me. I think this might be good for someone who has "normal" skin, skin that is neither too oily nor too dry (for my combination skin, it brought out the worst in both).

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by Ninjakitty63

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got this product in june and absolutely love it. It's easy to apply, light to medium buildable coverage, goes on very smoothly, doesn't have the heavy feel of some other bb creams I've tried, leaves my face feeling soft and lasts until i take it off that night.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 3:18:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I'm the first to review this product! I've been using this BB cream for years now. I love Tarte products because they are natural, eco-friendly and animal cruelty-free - so no animal testing/vegan. They don't add things like parabens, mineral oil, phthalates, sodium lauryl sulfate, triclosan, synthetic fragrances, gluten etc.
Anyways, on to the product. This is a light-medium coverage oil-free BB cream. I find that in the summer month it's moisturizing enough for me to use on its own, but the rest of the year I layer over my regular moisturizer. It gives enough coverage for my needs, lightly diffuses my redness, covers any pimples etc. and gives a nice natural sheer looking finish.
I have sensitive skin and this doesn't irritate at all (I have early rosacea). I also have acne-prone skin and get clogged up really easy, resulting in whiteheads and blackheads (small little bumps, not cystic acne) and this doesn't cause any acne whatsoever :)
I love that it has sunscreen in it so I don't have to layer another product in my routine. Overall I love this product and will stay loyal to it. The company philosophy fits with my own values and the product is perfect for my needs. The tube is on the expensive side but it lasts me a year so I can't really complain. I'd highly recommend this to anyone and have recommended it to my friends when shopping in Sephora etc. Everyone I've suggested it to loves it as well :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by lylalies

I really love this BB Tinted Moisturizer, the coverage is light and the look it gives to the skin is very natural. It blends very easily, it takes no time to apply it. If you have acne or acne scars, like me, you might need concealer to cover them up.

It has lasted me a few months, I'm not sure how long, but it has felt it hasn't been that long. So it gives me the impression that this runs out a bit faster than other foundations that I usually use.

I have combination skin, oily on the T-Zone and normal on my cheeks. It looks good most of the day, but I do have to blot my skin at mid-day, which is fine considering my skin type.

If you are interested in a light coverage foundation that works well with combination and oily skin, but not super oily, then this might be a good option.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/25/2014 1:17:00 AM More reviews by Katmetology

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't have much to say. This is too dry and entirely too shimmery for me. I first applied it in dim light, and the shimmer was still obvious. I looked like a disco ball on a body!

Nope.