Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Tinted Moisturizer (Smooth Operator)

Active Ingredients: 5% Titanium Dioxide , 5% Zinc Oxide. Other Ingredients: Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Saccharum Offcinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Root Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Leaf Extract, Phytantriol, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tocopherol, Tretrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Boron Nitride, Palmitic Acid, Dextrin Palmitate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol. ( /-): Iron Oxides, Mica, Ultramarines.

on 2/22/2015 10:48:00 AM

Love this ! My second tube of this product. I have really sensitive oily skin which makes finding BB cream/tinted moisturiser difficult. Before using this, I was using the Balm Balmshelter tinted moisturiser, but it oxides and make my skin real orangey. So I thought I would give this a try, since is oil and paraben free. Never regret at all, it gives really natural light-medium coverage and coverage is actually build able. This does not cause my sensitive skin to break out and my face only becomes oily at night after having this on for 8hrs. Definitely good for everyday use, as it only has spf 20, I like to mix this with Korres Yoghurt sunscreen to provide better sun protection for my skin (Live in a very sunny and humid area)

on 2/15/2015 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

So i got a sample from this from Sephora (and it lasts such a long time, a little goes a long way!) and i got the shade light-medium. When i sampled it in the store it matched my skin tone PERFECTLY which was great because I have yellow-undertones and its pretty hard to find bb creams or foundations that match. Unfortunately, it oxidized terribly and became 3 shades darker. I would give this 1 star but i feel like this color would suit me in the summer when I get tanner. I mean the color isn't completely orange but it does have a slight orange color but i think you wont notice if it matched your skin-tone. The finish is like a satin finish but more on the matte side and looks really natural, but i used it with a primer because without one it accentuated the large pores on my cheeks. Overall, this is okay but i havent really tried that many BB creams so there aren't too many to compare it too lol I'm going to try the other BB cream Tarte has

on 1/21/2015 5:08:00 PM

Highly recommend, I love this tinted moisturizer because it makes my skin look amazing and like I had a great night's sleep even if I didn't :)

pros:
-super lightweight, I don't like to wear anything heavier than tinted moisturizer so this is perfect for me
-moisturizing, makes my skin look almost luminous/well rested
-mineral spf is a bonus
-non irritating as is everything I've ever gotten from tarte
-cruelty free

cons:
-it is pricey but you only need a little bit so I'll continue to purchase it.
-since I use it so sparingly I wish it came in a pump packaging
-I wish it came in more colors

I've been using this product for years and even though my face has become really sensitive lately I'm still able to use this. It also mixes well so if you want to go even lighter coverage mix a few drops with your face SPF moisturizer. It's a great way to balance out the slight white cast you can get from some mineral SPF lotions.

on 1/5/2015 3:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

I've been using this BB cream for about six months/half a year now, so I've had lots of experience in testing this product. Why I have not reviewed it yet is some other mystery!
Firstly, I am overall very pleased and satisfied with this product. Every product from tarte that I have tried has never let me down.
The first and foremost negative about this product has definitely got to be The Price. I'm from Canada, and in Sephora it sells for usually $47.That's a super heavy price to me, especially the fact that it's meant to be a BB cream and is not even meant for full coverage. Online (in Canada) it can be a bit cheaper, maybe between $41-$45, but I still feel it's super pricey. I do use this product regularly, almost daily so I get my money's worth, plus I bought the first bottle back in the middle of August 2014 and it is now January 2015 and still has some left, so it has lasted me a good long time and I am quite pleased with that.
The packaging is pretty simple, but effective, no complaints there. It comes in a tube so the product comes out easily. The only annoying thing about it is that the tube is the same colour as the cream which makes it very difficult to see how much you have left.
No crazy smell or anything, just an average cosmetic/make up/ cream smell!
The consistency is a bit thick, and very creamy. A little dab does go a long way, so I always have to be careful not to take too much. It is a BB cream, so the coverage is light, and that is what I wanted because my skin is fairly clear and I haven't had any acne concerns recently. So this product will not magically erase blemishes, but it smooths and evens out the skin tone. Plus, it also has the tiniest bit of sparkle, only noticeable up close in really bright light. At first I was concerned, I didn't want to have a sparkly face! But it is very, very minimal and I usually wear powder over top which mutes the sparkles even more. So it does have a bit of a dewy, natural finish, because it is like a moisturizer.
I think it has really good lasting/staying power. I can wear this for nearly 10 hours and it still looks pretty good.
I really love this because it does make my face look nearly flawless, smooth, and even, and this is especially more so when wearing concealer and powder as well. And it matches my skin colour really well, too.
I will definitely be purchasing this again. Even though it has a high price, it lasts long and I use it almost everyday and I love how it looks. I really recommend this if you want Light coverage and don't mind spending a bit more for that famous Amazonian Clay :)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

For reference, my skin tone match is MAC NC40, combo/oily skin and in my 30's, I have this in Tan.

I have very oily skin around my T zone, whilst this product is oil free it does not control oil or stay matte on me. I am usually using blotting tissues within 2-3hrs of application, especially now since it's in the middle of the hot Australian summer. I find I have to use a powder to set it which helps it stay matte for a little longer. Definitely not recommended if you have extremely oily skin or want a fuller coverage.

The product has shimmer, which isn't over the top, but it would have been better if Tarte made it completely matte especially for us combo/oily skinned women since shimmer is not doing us any favors by adding more shine!

It's pricey for what it is and hard to get in Australia, however this is good for the girl who wants natural cosmetics without harsh parabens and very sheer coverage. Lasting power is around 4-5hrs on my combo/oily skin.

I think this would suit women with dry to normal skin best.

on 12/5/2014 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Had to return this.

I was really looking forward to this BB cream, I had tried the tinted moisturizer and loved the natural perfect look, but that one made me break out, since this is oil free I was hoping....

1. Coverage is light which I prefer, but it doesn't look natural. Was a bit slippery on my face and it is not at all like a BB cream.

2. Well this one made my skin sting a bit and broke me out all over.

on 11/8/2014 4:24:00 PM

I bought this in Sephora after a beauty rep put it on me. It looked good in the store but within 20mins of leaving it started changing colour and turning orange and also started stinging a little. After an hour, I looked like an oompa-loompa :( I have sensitive combination skin and after a long search and trying many foundations, I found my HG foundation in MAC Matchmaster SPF 15.

I have terrible combination skin, and it's difficult to find a foundation that didn't gather on my cheeks and makes them look cakey.

I got a sample of a bb cream from Sephora while back, and I liked the results: it didn't cake and my skin remained looking smooth.
I was getting ready to run out of said sample, and I decided to use the Ulta gift card that I received and find something similar.

A sales representative was kind enough to give me a full test drive.

There were no funny smells (unlike the sample from Sephora), and it went on smooth and didn't feel heavy. Best of all, it didn't gather into little patches on my face.

The only downfall is that it's a tad bit expensive. Otherwise, I think it's well worth purchasing.

on 10/16/2014 8:48:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

For reference, my skin is light with yellow/beige undertones & is normal/combination, more dry during colder months. I bought the shade Light-Medium (light complexions with beige undertones according to Sephora's website) & tested this out for a little under a week. I've tested the moisturizer in additon to just Makeup Forever's HD Finishing Powder & different combinations of other products, including Smashbox Photofinish Primer Light, ULTA Color Correcting Foundation & Primer Stick (as a concealer), Lorac POREFection Baked Perfecting Powder in Light, Mac MSF in Light Plus, and Mac Fix Spray (or sometimes Urban Decay's All-Nighter Makeup Setting Spray).

Pros:

- The texture is not too thick or thin.
- No weird scents.
- Moisturizes fairly well.
- The coverage starts off sheer, but is buildable and it applies smoothly.
- This would be a good base to even out your skin slightly before applying a foundation, concealer, and/or colored powder.
- With each combination listed above, I've been impressed with the lasting power of this tinted moisturizer. It's lasted longer than some foundations I've tried in the past.
- It hardly transfers (at least when you've got a little setting powder on top, not sure if this would be the case if no powder was used).

Cons:

- Expensive (took off 1 lippie).
- If acne scars, roseacea, and/or blemishes are a problem for you, this won't completely cover it, but I'm sure that's the case with most tinted moisturizers.
- Starts looking just a tad shiny in my t-zone around midday.
- It's kind of hard to completely wash off. Even if I use a facial scrub, I still find some of it when I go over my face with my toner.
- Not a whole lot of color choices. Depending on your undertone, this might not work for everyone's skin color.

on 10/4/2014 9:05:00 PM

Great tinted moisturizer for the summer and fall, lightweight and moisturizing. but for dry skin, I'm worried it won't be hydrating enough in the winter, but I guess I will wait and see. This is fairly priced for its quality and quantity. Most foundations come in 1 oz, this is 1.7 oz. Yes, I might use more of this than I do with foundation but I still think this tube will last a long time. Packaging is good, my favorite way of makeup dispense is a pump, and a squeeze tube comes second for hygienic factors. SPF is another added bonus, since I'm mostly indoors everyday, it's just enough SPF for me without having to reach for sunscreen. I don't use a primer with this and it still lasts well and wears beautifully throughout the day.