Bobbi Brown Espresso Ink Long Wear Gel Eyeliner

4.5

on 6/12/2015 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

This product is the only product I've actually ever had to return because it stopped working in 48 hours of use.

With gel liners, I am and was aware that when you use them, they are best stored: closed tightly, upside down, and in a dry but shaded location. I did all of these for the two days I was able to use this product. On the third day, it was so dry and stiff, the product wouldn't budge.

Even after the first day, it was clear that this product didn't take well to being opened. It became harder to spread on my upper lid and was difficult to work with. I found it was really blotchy and took forever to spread. I also found it migrated on me as well.

The color is exactly what I was hoping for, but the product sure was not. I don't know if this was a fluke or typical of this product, though it seems I'm not the only one with this experience. I will not be repurchasing this product because of it.

on 6/11/2015 10:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I got this from the airport last night and i have really enjoyed it. It sticks onto my brush so easily and cant apply it so nicely as well. The best thing about it is that it looks good and not thick and clungy like most pencils too. Holds a nice shape to it and drys well. Good brand love it

on 6/11/2015 10:17:00 PM

My holy grail eyeliner! Doesn't smudge, budge, is waterproof and is so easy to apply. After 2 hours of intense workout at the gym with sweat pouring all over my face, it still stayed on and doesn't make me look like a panda :p

on 5/16/2015 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love Bobbi Brown long wear gel eyeliner in Espresso Ink -- it was just what I was looking for. I wanted a deep brown long-lasting eyeliner that could line in a very thin way long the upper and lower lash lines. The performance of this product is flawless -- it does not smudge, budge or smear -- and the color and texture are fabulous. I needed a super thin eyeliner that would make my blue eyes pop and then blend nicely with a caramel brown eyeshadow for a smoky look. Perfect on all fronts. Thank you Bobbi Brown!

on 11/14/2014 11:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

First I don't know why this product is called a "gel" because it is not a gel at all! It is more a hard cream eyeliner. Like you can't dip your brush in it like the Mac one or the Clinique one. So at first I was really annoyed! You can't really use a fine eyeliner brush.. I manage to create a flick using an angles brush, and better with a synthetic bristles, not the MAC 266, the MAc 263 works. The formula applies dry like with a fine eyeliner pencil, so it is opaque and can be really quick but if you want to have a sharp line you have to work it a bit more.

I think the eespresso ink color is really nice. But for black gel-liner I think I will stay with Mac
I don't think I will repurchase this one since the effect is similar than using a brown eye pencil.

EDIT: Ok.. So finally I really like it. I forced myself to use it and I really like the color! Also I find it fast to apply because it is so pigmented it is good on one swipe. I hope it will not dry out quickly... that will determine if I repurchase it or not.

on 2/11/2014 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Got this after I was told it was amazing by a couple of friends. Before this I was using the Maybelline gel liner and even though that was great, it still did not satisfy me enough. When I finally got my hands on the Bobbi Brown gel liner, I have to say it is amazing.

Smudge-proof, lasts all day (I have worn it once for over 12 hours and it did not go anywhere after that whole time!) and surprisingly, the amount in the pot lasts for a very long time. I have had it since last year March and I still have not gotten through half of it.

The range of colours available look amazing even though I haven't tried them out myself. I got the espresso colour thinking it'd be more of a brown but to me, it's no different from black. It's almost like a black brown shade. Initially it was a little tricky to apply but once you get the hang of it, it's easy and very quick. Definitely recommended.

on 7/27/2013 4:33:00 PM

I wanted to love this eye liner because it seemed a pretty big hit with everyone else and I am also a big BB fan.

Well I hated/ hate it! The formula seems fine at first and then in a short time it completely dries out rendering it pretty useless; I tried the microwave trick but that didn't help much either.

Application is horrible and by the end of the day it had worn off and didn't look like I had applied any at all.

I have tried this one and the Ivy shimmer ink, and I am pretty sure I will never buy again.

on 7/24/2013 9:41:00 PM

Surprisingly I havent created a review for this yet, but its my HG liner for sure. I don't often wear black eyeliner so I always buy this in Espresso. Its the perfect dark brown shade and it makes my eyes pop. Its soooo creamy and smooth and they don't dry up before I can use the whole pot. Its a great liner and it lasts all day and I will continue to buy.

on 7/24/2013 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

For reference: Green eyes with gold flecks, medium-dark warm brown hair, combination skin, sensitive skin. Neutral to warm undertones NC/NW 25ish but a shade or two darker in the summer months.

I was looking for a dark brown eyeliner without red undertones. Why? Any brown with these undertones tend to make me look tired. I also wanted a dark rich brown to go with my coloring. A member on MUA recommended the BB gel eyeliner in espresso. I checked it out at Sephora and was sold. The color is definitely a dark brown. I like that it's dark, rich, brings out my eye color and yet softer than black eyeliner. I've had no issues with smudging. In the summer I tend not to wear eye shadow because it's so hot out. I apply concealer and powder to my eyelids and then apply Espresso. I've experienced zero problems with smudging or transferring to my eyelids. If your looking for a long lasting eyeliner that is dark brown without red undertones please check this out. I would definitely repurchase. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

EDIT: *I found my perfect blackened-brown gel/cream liner! Check out NYX gel liners/smudger in Scarlette, aka dark brown...cheap, pigmented, great application and longevity.*

*Sigh* Another one bites the dust.

PROBLEMS:
-Color is a very, very cool toned, grey-dark brown. So much grey, it might even pass for a soft black. (Hard to fault a product for actual color choice, but I didn't find much help in color descriptions or accurate color representation from the company.)
-Application is really horrific, I mean really blotchy, pulling at my 32 year old lids and weak pigmentation...if I didn't know better, I might think this was from one of those cheap little makeup sets from the drug store for a little girl to play with. I'm not sure if poor application is due to dismal pigmentation, or the very dry (SO much drier than MAC's Fluidlines, but I like drier liners, they're more fool-proof), cream-like formula, or a combo of both. Nevertheless I find this type of application particularly inexcusable for a pricey product line...liners that cost less than half are far superior.
-Expensive: $23 for 0.1 oz/3g. Now I love me some luxury beauty items...but I expect them to perform up to their price tag. This one doesn't.

WONDERFULNESS:
-When I could manage a decent line, this stuff really lasted...and lasted. For the two days that I wore it to work, through the hot, humid, sweaty 12-hour shifts as a floor nurse, it didn't budge. That's impressive for this slightly oily lady.

BUT:
I actually ended up returning this item after attempting to work with it for a week and a half. The awful application/pigmentation, the wrong color for me and the price were just too many negatives. Not sure if I'll try other BB inks as my search for the perfect blackened-brown liner continues, but the performance of Espresso was impressive enough that I'm still interested. continued >>