December 20, 2014 | 1557 users online

Eyeliner - Bobbi Brown - Espresso Ink Long Wear Gel Eyeliner

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2014 11:31:00 AM More reviews by Cammmi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First I don't know why this product is called a "gel" because it is not a gel at all! It is more a hard cream eyeliner. Like you can't dip your brush in it like the Mac one or the Clinique one. So at first I was really annoyed! You can't really use a fine eyeliner brush.. I manage to create a flick using an angles brush, and better with a synthetic bristles, not the MAC 266, the MAc 263 works. The formula applies dry like with a fine eyeliner pencil, so it is opaque and can be really quick but if you want to have a sharp line you have to work it a bit more.

I think the eespresso ink color is really nice. But for black gel-liner I think I will stay with Mac
I don't think I will repurchase this one since the effect is similar than using a brown eye pencil.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2014 4:49:00 PM More reviews by cassiie0103

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Got this after I was told it was amazing by a couple of friends. Before this I was using the Maybelline gel liner and even though that was great, it still did not satisfy me enough. When I finally got my hands on the Bobbi Brown gel liner, I have to say it is amazing.

Smudge-proof, lasts all day (I have worn it once for over 12 hours and it did not go anywhere after that whole time!) and surprisingly, the amount in the pot lasts for a very long time. I have had it since last year March and I still have not gotten through half of it.

The range of colours available look amazing even though I haven't tried them out myself. I got the espresso colour thinking it'd be more of a brown but to me, it's no different from black. It's almost like a black brown shade. Initially it was a little tricky to apply but once you get the hang of it, it's easy and very quick. Definitely recommended.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2013 4:33:00 PM More reviews by DamenesGirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wanted to love this eye liner because it seemed a pretty big hit with everyone else and I am also a big BB fan.

Well I hated/ hate it! The formula seems fine at first and then in a short time it completely dries out rendering it pretty useless; I tried the microwave trick but that didn't help much either.

Application is horrible and by the end of the day it had worn off and didn't look like I had applied any at all.

I have tried this one and the Ivy shimmer ink, and I am pretty sure I will never buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2013 9:41:00 PM More reviews by payjark

Surprisingly I havent created a review for this yet, but its my HG liner for sure. I don't often wear black eyeliner so I always buy this in Espresso. Its the perfect dark brown shade and it makes my eyes pop. Its soooo creamy and smooth and they don't dry up before I can use the whole pot. Its a great liner and it lasts all day and I will continue to buy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2013 8:57:00 PM More reviews by canadian

For reference: Green eyes with gold flecks, medium-dark warm brown hair, combination skin, sensitive skin. Neutral to warm undertones NC/NW 25ish but a shade or two darker in the summer months.

I was looking for a dark brown eyeliner without red undertones. Why? Any brown with these undertones tend to make me look tired. I also wanted a dark rich brown to go with my coloring. A member on MUA recommended the BB gel eyeliner in espresso. I checked it out at Sephora and was sold. The color is definitely a dark brown. I like that it's dark, rich, brings out my eye color and yet softer than black eyeliner. I've had no issues with smudging. In the summer I tend not to wear eye shadow because it's so hot out. I apply concealer and powder to my eyelids and then apply Espresso. I've experienced zero problems with smudging or transferring to my eyelids. If your looking for a long lasting eyeliner that is dark brown without red undertones please check this out. I would definitely repurchase. :)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

EDIT: *I found my perfect blackened-brown gel/cream liner! Check out NYX gel liners/smudger in Scarlette, aka dark brown...cheap, pigmented, great application and longevity.*

*Sigh* Another one bites the dust.

PROBLEMS:
-Color is a very, very cool toned, grey-dark brown. So much grey, it might even pass for a soft black. (Hard to fault a product for actual color choice, but I didn't find much help in color descriptions or accurate color representation from the company.)
-Application is really horrific, I mean really blotchy, pulling at my 32 year old lids and weak pigmentation...if I didn't know better, I might think this was from one of those cheap little makeup sets from the drug store for a little girl to play with. I'm not sure if poor application is due to dismal pigmentation, or the very dry (SO much drier than MAC's Fluidlines, but I like drier liners, they're more fool-proof), cream-like formula, or a combo of both. Nevertheless I find this type of application particularly inexcusable for a pricey product line...liners that cost less than half are far superior.
-Expensive: $23 for 0.1 oz/3g. Now I love me some luxury beauty items...but I expect them to perform up to their price tag. This one doesn't.

WONDERFULNESS:
-When I could manage a decent line, this stuff really lasted...and lasted. For the two days that I wore it to work, through the hot, humid, sweaty 12-hour shifts as a floor nurse, it didn't budge. That's impressive for this slightly oily lady.

BUT:
I actually ended up returning this item after attempting to work with it for a week and a half. The awful application/pigmentation, the wrong color for me and the price were just too many negatives. Not sure if I'll try other BB inks as my search for the perfect blackened-brown liner continues, but the performance of Espresso was impressive enough that I'm still interested. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 11:59:00 PM More reviews by DarkNStormy

This is a great gel liner; dark enough to look "black" but without the hard look. It's great for a daytime liner. I use this as well as Black Ink, and use them interchangeably.

Using BB's ultra-fine eye liner brush, it's really easy to apply and you can do anything from a basic line to a dramatic line fairly easily.

I've sometimes had it transfer if I blink too much before it dries but no other problems. It's really long-wearing on my oily lids, and only comes off with eye makeup remover.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2012 2:32:00 AM More reviews by bonnobbie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

After years of using this product, I will finally add to the reviewing world that has so benefited me.

I have this one, and Black Ink - both of which I've had for many years (no joke, at least 3 years each). This year, Black cracked and hardened on me, but the Espresso Ink one has stayed as moist and true as ever (I don't know if it has to do with the jars, I bought them at two different airports but Black Ink is in a frosted glass pot and the lid isn't so great, and the Espresso Ink is in a clear glass, lid is nice and even).

I use eyeliner almost every day. I panick without it, so these two have seriously kept me going forever, the Espresso is dented for sure but shows no sign of end. Espresso is my preference over Black Ink because I dislike the hard makeup look, this one is perfect for a nice wing, cats eye or tightlining with and still pulling natural. I've never tried it on my waterline so I can't review that, sorry.

I have oily lids, but people ask me how my makeup stays on all day.. Christine from Temptalia doesn't have the same issue, she reckons that the MAC fluidline is just as good, but WE OILY LIDS KNOW BETTER!! MAC fluidline is gone on me by midday.

It does slightly bother me that I need a good eyeliner brush for application, and therefore carrying it in my handbag for touchups would become annoying, but awesomely it stays on all day. If I'm going out until the break of dawn, I just carry out a kohl pencil in my clutch and run over my eyeliner to keep it going.

Lastly, I have really sensitive eyes and everything, everything makes them go red and itch. But not this liner. I love it and would buy a lifetime supply if they d/ced it (which by the looks of things will be maybe another pot, ha ha).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2012 12:55:00 AM More reviews by TakenByHim

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love the color..it's a very dark brown and almost black. It's nice when you don't want the harshness of black but you still want some drama. Although I love the color, I am not crazy about the lasting power. I live in very hot weather and this tends to migrate to the outer corner of my eyes sometimes. It also doesn't apply as smoothly as the black one. I've been wearing cream/gel liners daily for 7-8 years so I do have high expectations and won't rebuy this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2012 7:41:00 AM More reviews by hoffmana

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the best eyeliner out there. I am 45 and this is the ONLY eyeliner I've ever had that doesn't end up in a smeared mess beneath my eyes after a few hours. I've been using BB for years and will never give it up. Yes, it's a little labor intensive to apply, and I've had mixed results over the years with the product drying out. But this is the only eyeliner that really stays put and looks fresh all day! BB has a loyal customer in me.