August 22, 2014 | 1914 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Hard as Nails - Clear

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by Psychodrama

I've only just started adding base coats and top coats to my nail routine, so my experience with base coats is small. Besides this, I've only tried out L.A. Colors Base Coat/Topcoat hybrid and the L.A. Colors Strengthener as cheap options. I honestly can't see a difference between this product and those.

I chose this to use as a basecoat because I figured something that keeps my nail strong would help keep my nails strong as well as act as a basecoat. I felt like my nails did feel a little more hardened, but since finishing the bottle, I've kept my nails bare of anything for a few weeks now and they seem just as hard as with the Hard As Nails on...unless I'm supposed to believe its effects last way beyond weartime. But I also felt like this was on par with the L.A. Colors products, not any better. I'm going to keep trying new basecoats to see if there's better ones out there. I would repurchase for the price, though.

One point to add, I'm confused as to how this product differs from the one with the same name that has a differently shaped bottle. Maybe I'll compare them in the future.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/16/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by OddLittleMuppet

I've been growing out my nails, which are thick and were in pretty good shape to begin with, but broke very occasionally. This stuff ruined my nails. Now they're peeling, which is not something they had ever done before, and it's disgusting.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Lauraasti

I like this much better than the Sally No Chip topcoat. Out of the many topcoats I've tried, this one seems to work out best. I have one bottle for light polishes and one for dark, since sometimes topcoats tend to grab color from your nail. I do wish the bottle was clear, once the polish gets down below the label, it's hard to see how much/little is left and the brush doesn't reach the bottom, leaving product wasted at the end. But it's the only topcoat that hasn't gotten gloopy on my over time, which is what keeps me coming back the most. I've had a few issues here and there with air bubbles, but I find that gently rolling the bottle between my hands an hour or so before painting my nails and being patient with slow and even application prevents them. I don't have any unreasonable chipping (no topcoat will protect your nails from chipping if you're doing extreme things with your hands, come on now) and they stay shiny the whole week. I sometimes use disposable gloves when doing things like washing dishes for extra protection anyway, but this topcoat was the best protection for my nails when I was on dishwashing duty at the restaurant I used to work at. I've had some issues with the edges of my nails becoming jagged from the polish being dragged to the edge of the nail, but just lightly file them and then paint the edges and it's taken care of. The biggest issue I have is that my nails seem to take a while to dry. I painted my nails with one coat of basecoat, two coats of polish and then one coat of this 6 hours before I went to sleep and only used my nails to type lightly on the computer, but the next day I woke up with sheet marks :/ Very possible it was just because of the amount of polish I had on my nails though. Once it dries, this stuff is HARD like it's supposed to be and my favorite part is that there are no cracks in the polish, which is very common with the Sally No Chip. Some usual fading around nail edges a few days in, but that's normal. Just a quick polish refresher and you're set :) Overall, this isn't a fast-drying product, but it's a solid and affordable one and I'll definitely be repurchasing.

Update: I've been wearing this over my polish for 8 days and have had zero chips and they're still shiny as the day I painted them. At this point in a manicure, I don't really try to be careful with my hands anymore, but this is holding strong. I lightly reshaped my nail edges and refreshed with another coat of this about 4 days ago and have zero issues. I randomly dug this out of the bottom of my nail polish bin last week after becoming fed up with both my Sally no-chip and OPI no-chip topcoats getting gloopy. Really glad I did! :)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2013 8:56:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Honestly, I can't help but feel like lately I've done nothing but bitch here on MUA about one crappy product or another, and unfortunately the string of duds does not stop with this product.
I wanna start out by saying that my nails are pretty good naturally. They grow long and relatively strong in a timely manner but I often like to use hardeners as an extra barrier of protection and reinforcement. Basically what I'm saying is, I don't really expect miracles from these types of products because I don't have bitten, formerly acrylic, or otherwise difficult nails.
All that said, Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails (clear) has got to be THE most appallingly sad hardener I think I've ever used. It genuinely does absolutely NOTHING beneficial for my nails at all. Once it's applied it doesn't even seem to impart a bit of support to my nails, let alone actually make them feel harder. Alone, this product has absolutely no staying power- the minute that I get my hands wet, Hard As Nails is peeling off of my nails in massive sheets. It's never lasted even an entire day on my nails without coming off and I'm not one to be rough on my hands at all nor do I keep them wet for long periods of time. When combined with other polishes, Hard As Nails is a bubbly wreck and obviously does little to nothing as far as increasing their wear time is concerned.
It's also worth noting (this could very well be a coincidence) it definitely seems like I'm more apt to suffer a break when I have this over my nails in some degree or another. I can't think of any reason why this might occur but every time I've used it several of my nails have broken without having any prior cracking.
I truly think that a generic top coat polish out preforms this in spades. It is essentially useless and despite being cheap, it's just not worth it in my opinion.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 7:18:00 AM More reviews by Raakhee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Absolutely love this product and so glad I invested in it after such a long time.

Have been wearing it under my nail polish for two weeks and my God they are growing strong and very long !
Would highly recommend to those who have trouble with having weak, chipping and peeling nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 11:37:00 PM More reviews by Julia336

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff! I've never really been into nail polish, but about 6 months ago I really got into painting my nails. My nails have never been really strong. They are constantly breaking and peeling. I started using this as a base coat about 6 weeks ago and that all changed. I will continue to buy this product until it's discontinued. Here's to hoping that never happens!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/10/2013 3:55:00 AM More reviews by fashionfreak678

Disclaimer: I've been blessed with nails that are naturally very strong and hard, very thick, and grow very quickly.

But as a regular nail polish user, they began to yellow, peel, and break a bit easily after 4 years of constant polishing and removing with acetone. I never used a base coat all those years, huge mistake!

My mom bought this for me after she couldn't find Sally Hansen Invisible (which I use as a top coat) for me at the grocery store. At first I used this as a top coat but once I bought Sally Hansen Invisible as well as Poshe I used this as a base coat. Since then I've seen a difference in the condition of my nails. They're peeling much less now and seem so much healthier.

Dries pretty quickly. This product is very affordable yet effective. Recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by happyisbeautiful

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is amazing stuff. I've gone through so many bottles of this, it makes your nails healthier and is SO SHINY and dries fast. Love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2012 3:45:00 AM More reviews by ecmeikle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Good results from this product - strengthened my manicures by providing a base and top coat that dried on hard.

This stuff did make my nails sturdier and protect them pretty well - it worked better than any treatment formula I have ever used. It didn't really do anything to fortify the nails themselves, though, I would say it was just the fact that the lacquer itself is so thick that protected them from damage. Overall, good results, and I am keen to try the Advanced formula.

Only qualm was that it became very thick near the end of the bottle and I had only had it for a few months.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/17/2012 3:38:00 AM More reviews by zerp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Made my nails weaker, now I'm scared to use it.

I used it alone and also as a base coat. My nails peeled and cracked SO much more.. I'm sad and disappointed, I was really hoping it would work.