October 23, 2014 | 2070 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - La Chasse aux Papillons

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2013 4:00:00 AM More reviews by Gother

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

This fragrance, created by Anne Flipo in 1999, has got the most evocative and beautiful name of all fragrance: La Chasse aux Papillons, Chasing Butterflies. It's fun to guess how a butterfly should smell like, but to me, this fragrance that I've worn for five years smells exactly like a butterfly.
Truth is, it does smell like a blooming, sultry white flowers garden under the spring sun. Not much else, but white flowers alone can work wonders.
First comes the heady, almost boisterous prima donna, Tuberose, immediately followed by a cheerful Orange blossom and a less prominent Lime blossom for a citrus slight, slightest punch. Then Jasmine starts to grow and occupy the scene with a tender, hearty, not indolic at all presence. Linden blossom underlines the whole plot adding a cool and mysterious touch of greenness, but not too much.
To me, La Chasse is a close to perfect fragrance. It's the perfect rendition of a sunny day. I would have upped the Lime note because the fragrance can smell cloying at times, so it's worth wearing at low doses and maybe try some layering.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2012 2:31:00 AM More reviews by mrrelle

This is a very very pretty fragrance but it's definitely not worth the price tag. To me, this smells exactly like the original Marc Jacob's perfume or the Estee Lauder private gardenia collection perfume.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/18/2011 12:42:00 PM More reviews by foe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, I won't lie, when I sniffed a sample of this my first thought was, "Hmm, dryer-sheet." It was winter so my second thought was, "A dryer-sheet I can barely smell." But I'm glad I gave it a second shot in warmer weather because this is a spring/summer fragrance extraordinaire.

I am unfamiliar with Linden, except when it comes to tisanes, but I think it must add that zesty feel to the fragrance. Don't get me wrong, it's unabashedly girly and feminine but not in any powdered kind of way. La Chasse has a certain kind of spunk that I like. I'm starting to realize that Artisan perfumes project more than I once thought - I get compliments on this from people a few feet away from me - but my ultra smell-sensitive boss has made no objections on this and I wear it to work often. Granted, there's not much to offend in La Chasse.

Even though I think this might be the more complex, more accomplished fragrance, I still prefer Mimosa pour Moi. But La Chasse will definitely always have a place in my heart and space on vanity. :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2011 9:03:00 AM More reviews by May_Bee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm surprised to read so many negative reviews here, because I would have expected this to be a crowd pleaser. Maybe some people find the scent of tuberose a little vulgar? If I'd sampled this anonymously I wouldn't have expected the hefty price-tag, I would have thought it smells cheap and cheerful, feminine and young without being trashy. I get mostly tuberose with a little jasmine and a touch of juicy-fruit bubble gum. The lasting power is good and I enjoy wearing it as a total break from some of my other perfumes which may be in better taste but are not as much fun (I'm talking to you, Apres l'Ondee).

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2011 12:41:00 AM More reviews by roxana

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This has been my go to fragrance for years. Beautiful layered floral. Most dominant note on me is tuberose.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2011 3:23:00 AM More reviews by WentworthRoth

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Notes: citrus, orange blossom, linden, tuberose and jasmine.

This fragrance opens with a bright and rather sweet flower note - reminiscent of Vanille Galante - that gradually becomes darker and intense as the alcohol evaporates. The main accord is built on a delicate interplay of jasmine, tuberose, orange blossom and linden resulting in an intoxicating floral bouquet. Green notes counter-balance the luxuriant sweetness of the accord and add to its overall fresh and spring-like quality. On my skin the fragrance loses most of its citrusy tartness and flowery sweetness as it progresses; it remains dewy and sweet, but has lost most of its initial vibrance. Lasts six hours on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2011 8:32:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Neroli lover know that this is a must have.
I am a neroli fan but - blame on me - I discovered this gem just lately!
Spring in a bottle, if you need to defin it.
La Chasse aux papillons evokes just this: A field full of herbs, flowers in bloom and orange trees blossoming, with a bunch of kids running with nets to catch butterflies.
It's an image of serenity and joy, and this is what you feel when you are wearing La Chasse.
I was instantly transported into this paradisiac fantasy land at the first opening notes: orange blossom with green herbs, linden blossom and pollens (watch out: this could be annoying if you suffer for allergy!), hay, a tiny bit of tuberose - very , very subdued as I could not stand it if too prominent ! - and luscious gardenia with a hint of honey in the end.
A joyful, flowery composition that cheers up your day.
The drydown is soft, smooth and sweet.
The only downside is the lasting power... can't smell the frag after 2 hours. does not matter, I am willing to re-apply!
In anycase, this is FB worth!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by gogoamy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

love this perfume! i've been wearing it on and off for about the past seven years. i always get compliments whenever i wear it. unfortunately it's a little pricey, so i can't purchase as often as i'd like.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2010 1:21:00 AM More reviews by Nickylily

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I sampled this from Luckyscent, then bought a bottle. This is a slightly sweet, airy floral, heavy on orange and linden blossom compared to the other notes. The most true to life perfume I have ever encountered.

The full notes are linden blossom, lemon tree blossom, orange blossom, jasmine, and tuberose. Thankfully for me the tuberose does not overshadow the other notes as it can do. Very feminine and wholesome with lots of flower pollen, fresh and realistic. Loads of spring blossoms, pure and simple. I like that is not overly heavy, like some scents such as Chanel. Gorgeous bottle. as always from L'Artisan. If you like this, try Antica Farmacista's Caterina de Medici.

UPDATE: This has really grown on me. It smells natural and light, which I prefer to more chemical perfumes that are common in mass perfumes. Some people may find it boring or too wholesome and light. The only scent I am using now.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2010 9:25:00 PM More reviews by fragranceisall

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Is it just me or does "La Chasse" resemble, and strongly, Caron's "Narcisse Noir"? I love both fragrances, have gone through 2 bottles of "Chasse", have gifted my daughter w/a bottle, we love it that much. Recently, I dabbed on "Narcisse" edp and was surprised to find an almost exact duplicate, although Narcisse seems to unfold in a slightly darker (noir?) way. I'd love to know if anyone else detects a resemblance.