July 28, 2014 | 952 users online

Gels/Soaps - DuDu Osun African Black Soap

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 6:36:00 PM More reviews by bronaghmk1

I started using dudu osun about 2years ago and have gone through about 3/4 bars, they last so long and are extremely cheap to buy. I use mine at night, I lather it in my hands then massage it into my face and it clears all traces of makeup and waterproof mascara. I wear Estée Lauder double wear and this removes it completely in just one wash however I like to do a second wash with it just to be sure. I also use this in the shower on my hair from time to time, I use the lush shampoo bars so I am used to the squeaky clean feeling it leaves on your hair however if you prefer your hair to feel silky then I would not recommend using it on your hair, despite the fact when I do it leaves my hair cleaner for longer! Overall I love this product and could not live without it!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2014 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Simran9275886531

Im 17 and i have alot of acne scars and decided to try this. I was really excited because nothing else seemed to be working.. Ive had the soap for about a week and im currently in that purge stage. Im breaking out in small pimples and havent seen any reduction in my hyperpigmentation. The soap is somewhat drying for me but not that much. Im not sure whether to continue to see if itll make a difference anytime soon or to stop because of the breakouts. I was using a black soap from whole foods before which seemed to br working a little better than this. Im sad because i thot this wud workkkk!! :((

rated 1 of 5 on 6/30/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by calicosteph

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I saw a review for this on YouTube and it was recommended for oily/acne-prone skin and for fading acne scars. I have all of those skin issues and thought I would try it out. I ordered mine online directly from the Dudu Osum website and it was dirt cheap for a skin care product. I started using it every other day for a week because it was SO drying. It also stings when I use it to wash my face, so I wanted to slowly acclimate my face to it. Well, it continued to sting my face and it dried out my face so much that I actually started to break out! (My skin was pretty clear before I used this.) I stopped using it entirely and my face has stopped breaking out. I understand this might be a "purge phase" but I just can't deal with that anymore especially since my skin scars easily when I break out. Too bad, I really wanted this to help with my acne scars, but this soap is way too harsh for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/29/2014 3:36:00 PM More reviews by fiyacrackeryaz

Before I bought this soap, I was using an all natural black soap that I purchased from whole foods. I used it on my face only for almost a month. I had pretty good results from it. I then looked into using dudu osun soap. I had used it for almost a week with no issues in the way my skin reacted. I then began to use it on my body and I loved the way it made me feel....at first! I then started to break on on my body and face in little bumps. They weren't pimples but some kind of reaction to the ingredients in the soap. I rarely have allergies to natural products. I had stopped using drugstore products with salicylic acid and benzoly peroxide (sp). Ultimately, i ended up with scars and scabs not only on my body, but on my face as well. I was making such good progress with eliminating my dark spots and not I feel like I have taken a million steps backwards. I'm not using neutrogena facial bar, fragrance free. It's doing wonders. Doesn't make me feel dry and no reaction! The black soap may work for you depending on your skin sensitivity but my skin isn't that sensitive. I really loved the smell, lather, and texture of this soap. Too bad I can't use it anymore.

If it is helpful, I am African American with a medium caramel skin tone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 8:12:00 PM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

I love this soap. It smells so fresh and leaves my face and body feeling extremely clean without any waxy feeling. I have very sensitive skin and experience no irritation while using this soap. It does help reduce my breakouts, and aids in minimizing dark spots/hyperpigmentation. I do rotate my use so I don't end up with dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by MissOrthodox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE
12/03/13

All my whiteheads are gone after just 3 weeks of using this regularly again. I'm so happy right now it's not even funny!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dudu Osun is a fantastic natural soap that has always given me amazing results.

I have normal/sensitive skin and although dudu is very clarifying I've never had any issues after toning and applying a good moisturiser.

My whiteheads have reduced 98%, my skin tone is more balanced and I have the glow I love that allows me to look great without makeup.

I also use this on my whole body in the shower, it's super refreshing and the zesty citrus fragrance is very nice too. I love this in the summer when you feel hot and sticky, Dudu clarifies your body of all clogging oils and leaves my skin feeling refreshed and super clean.

I really love this product, it's amazing!

Good luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2014 7:46:00 PM More reviews by michele71976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

leaves my face squeaky clean. a little drying, but moisturizer fixes that. keeps me mostly free from acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by BeautyBrunette16

Great item for a facial cleanser. leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Meshamade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I'm 18 and in college. My acne battle began in 5th grade and I have literally JUST conquered it with this wonderful soap. My skin is VERY acne prone. I never had the severe cystic acne but I typically have bumps all over my face, I'm talking at least 6 pimples somewhere on my face plus a mask of acne scars. I just got this soap last week and now every pimple I had is completely gone. After my first use my acne began to heal, even the bump on my cheek that I had been struggling with for 2 weeks. My scars have began fading and my complexion has already became clearer. What I do is I lather the soap in my hands and massage on my face. Don't use a wash cloth to wash your face UNLESS your goal is to exfoliate which you shouldn't do unless necessary (once a week). Washing your face with a wash cloth everyday is exfoliating every day which leads to irritation and ultimately more inflammation and more acne. After I rinse off the soap, i gently pat my face dry then I use witch hazel as a toner (unnecessary because as you will see, NOTHING extra comes off because dudu osun got it all). After that I let my dry from the toner and I use grapeseed oil (if this is at night) or Jason's aloe Vera moisturizing gel (if it's in the morning) and I'm good to go! I try not to wash my face in the morning and night because I feel like that's not necessary unless you start getting breakouts then an extra wash will be good for the face. By using these products I have finally discovered the baby clear and soft skin I haven't seen since elementary school :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 3:51:00 AM More reviews by Melxoxox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok Ok Ok... This is my FIRST ever review on MUA & please believe I've been living by this forum for a good couple years LOL.

I have been using this black soap solely on my face for 3.5 - 4 years & luckily having folks from Ghana means I'm able to buy this in bulk or in fact the unbranded soap that they package in brown paper at the markets when I go over.

I started wearing makeup (foundation) at about 12/13 and that's when I started having skin troubles. My acne scars were all up in there looking BLACK by the time I hit 16 and I began googling/searching youtube for more NATURAL remedies because generally IMO, natural = healthier for your skin in the long run. I'd been prescribed benzoyl peroxide which worked but I didn't like the idea of chemical & also had been and off some pills (HRI Clear complexion or something) but once again I was looking for more natural & I'm on so many prescribed tabs a day & I hate it.
Ok so now on to this soap...

I read up on African Black Soap & thought hey what's the worst? I can give it a try & with this going for £1 - 1.50 ($1.50 - 2.50) at local black hair shops in the UK it wasn't exactly breaking my non existent bank account at the time.

When you first use this soap, IT WILL DRY YOUR SKIN OUT. I have oily/combination skin and I mean when I first started, my skin would look ashy/white after drying it pro wash with this soap and feel TIGHT (not crusty however). I can only imagine how dry your skin would become should you have normal/dry skin naturally.
BUT ladies seriously STICK WITH IT.
I'd recommend using it only at night right before bed daily/every other day to begin with if you feel your skin gets too dry and if anything, follow up with a very light, more water based than oil based, lotion.

As your skin becomes more used to this soap - and trust me it will - it will retain more moisture. Some people break out, but seriously I believe if you use it at a low enough frequency and ween yourself on to it, you'll get past that 'purge' stage.

The soap will rid you of almost literally everything on your face bar little bits of mascara/eye makeup - DO NOT GET THIS SOAP IN YOUR EYE lol. It's the best cleanser I've used in my life for such a good price like SO GOOD you can skip those cotton pad + face cleanser lotion (clean & clear for me) antics after a wash too make sure all make up/dirt is gone.

If you feel confident enough to, you can even use your flannel/face towel to scrubbb your face and you have a very good exfoliating treatment - I do this every day now.

Over the 3+ years, my acne scars have faded significantly although they are still there but this soap has really helped me to get more on top of my acne. Yes some days/weeks I get some annoyinggg spots but that's usually because I've slept in my make up the night before or haven't washed my make up brushes in a while etc.. *hides*.
This soap will seriously smooth out your skin if you use it religiously. I'd like to think that if I've picked a pimple this soap helps prevent the scarring that develops after, from coming through really dark. I'm gonna try and look for some before/after pics to post.

It's funny because when I first started using it all that while ago, everyone in my house was using different things on there face. My mum was using fair&white black soap for a while to try and even out her acne scars & now everyone's been converted to this & my mum's raving about how it's helping her acne scars and how the fair&white soap did jack for her.

I want to summarise everything real quick and add a few extra tips:

- This soap CLARIFIES to a T. It can be used all over body for a THOROUGH cleanse (I wouldn't recommend lady parts however because it may be too harsh can cause thrush etc) and can be used for clarifying hair (I use it on my fine natural 3C hair occasionally)

- It will initially dry out your skin & possibly even break it out but stick with it to see results

- Ween yourself on to if you're concerned. Start off with once a day/every other day just before bed (and follow up with a water based lotion) OR just use the soap a few hours prior to bed and just leave your face. Give your face more time to balance out moisture wise

- It is also good for smoothing skin complexion wise - in the long run - & causes lighter scarring as a result of picked pimples etc.

- Pair it with washing mitts/a good face cloth for a good (potentially daily) exfoliating treatment

- DON'T GET IT IN YOUR EYES PLEASE lool :(

NOW IN COMPARISON TO THE PURE UNBRANDED AFRICAN SOAP which I have also been using during the 3 years, I will say this.
- Both more or less do the same job: this brand IS made in Africa & IS made of natural products. I bought this soap in bulk while I was out there in addition to the unbranded.

- The unbranded one is possibly more moisturising than this brand BUT every batch of the unbranded is different. Different markets and vendors get there's from different places & this soap is known for being made differently. Some even appear more white than black although I've been told those ones are a bit dodge :/

- This one smells nicer because of added fragrance I'd assume

- The unbranded one is probably more 'natural'.. I'm thinking less chance of contamination as the appearance of this bar makes it looks like it's factory manufactured. The unbranded one comes hand wrapped & are all slightly different shapes.

---

BASICALLY IF YOU CAN'T GET TO AFRICA TO BUY THE UNBRANDED ONE (which in 1 pack you get about 6 - 7 bars worth of this for less than a £1/$1.50) & DO NOT WANT TO SPEND A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT BUYING SUPPOSEDLY RAW SOAP FROM SOMEBODY ELSE BUY THIS BAR. IT'S CHEAP. You can't really go wrong.

This was SUCH a long review but I've lurked these forums long enough without contributing what so ever and if there's one product I can give a proper and very well informed review on, it would be this. Hope it was helpful!

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No