April 18, 2014 | 942 users online

Gels/Soaps - DuDu Osun African Black Soap

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 1:55:00 PM More reviews by MissOrthodox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE
12/03/13

All my whiteheads are gone after just 3 weeks of using this regularly again. I'm so happy right now it's not even funny!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dudu Osun is a fantastic natural soap that has always given me amazing results.

I have normal/sensitive skin and although dudu is very clarifying I've never had any issues after toning and applying a good moisturiser.

My whiteheads have reduced 98%, my skin tone is more balanced and I have the glow I love that allows me to look great without makeup.

I also use this on my whole body in the shower, it's super refreshing and the zesty citrus fragrance is very nice too. I love this in the summer when you feel hot and sticky, Dudu clarifies your body of all clogging oils and leaves my skin feeling refreshed and super clean.

I really love this product, it's amazing!

Good luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2014 7:46:00 PM More reviews by michele71976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

leaves my face squeaky clean. a little drying, but moisturizer fixes that. keeps me mostly free from acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2014 1:39:00 PM More reviews by BeautyBrunette16

Great item for a facial cleanser. leaves my skin feeling squeaky clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2013 12:34:00 AM More reviews by Meshamade

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I'm 18 and in college. My acne battle began in 5th grade and I have literally JUST conquered it with this wonderful soap. My skin is VERY acne prone. I never had the severe cystic acne but I typically have bumps all over my face, I'm talking at least 6 pimples somewhere on my face plus a mask of acne scars. I just got this soap last week and now every pimple I had is completely gone. After my first use my acne began to heal, even the bump on my cheek that I had been struggling with for 2 weeks. My scars have began fading and my complexion has already became clearer. What I do is I lather the soap in my hands and massage on my face. Don't use a wash cloth to wash your face UNLESS your goal is to exfoliate which you shouldn't do unless necessary (once a week). Washing your face with a wash cloth everyday is exfoliating every day which leads to irritation and ultimately more inflammation and more acne. After I rinse off the soap, i gently pat my face dry then I use witch hazel as a toner (unnecessary because as you will see, NOTHING extra comes off because dudu osun got it all). After that I let my dry from the toner and I use grapeseed oil (if this is at night) or Jason's aloe Vera moisturizing gel (if it's in the morning) and I'm good to go! I try not to wash my face in the morning and night because I feel like that's not necessary unless you start getting breakouts then an extra wash will be good for the face. By using these products I have finally discovered the baby clear and soft skin I haven't seen since elementary school :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2013 3:51:00 AM More reviews by Melxoxox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ok Ok Ok... This is my FIRST ever review on MUA & please believe I've been living by this forum for a good couple years LOL.

I have been using this black soap solely on my face for 3.5 - 4 years & luckily having folks from Ghana means I'm able to buy this in bulk or in fact the unbranded soap that they package in brown paper at the markets when I go over.

I started wearing makeup (foundation) at about 12/13 and that's when I started having skin troubles. My acne scars were all up in there looking BLACK by the time I hit 16 and I began googling/searching youtube for more NATURAL remedies because generally IMO, natural = healthier for your skin in the long run. I'd been prescribed benzoyl peroxide which worked but I didn't like the idea of chemical & also had been and off some pills (HRI Clear complexion or something) but once again I was looking for more natural & I'm on so many prescribed tabs a day & I hate it.
Ok so now on to this soap...

I read up on African Black Soap & thought hey what's the worst? I can give it a try & with this going for £1 - 1.50 ($1.50 - 2.50) at local black hair shops in the UK it wasn't exactly breaking my non existent bank account at the time.

When you first use this soap, IT WILL DRY YOUR SKIN OUT. I have oily/combination skin and I mean when I first started, my skin would look ashy/white after drying it pro wash with this soap and feel TIGHT (not crusty however). I can only imagine how dry your skin would become should you have normal/dry skin naturally.
BUT ladies seriously STICK WITH IT.
I'd recommend using it only at night right before bed daily/every other day to begin with if you feel your skin gets too dry and if anything, follow up with a very light, more water based than oil based, lotion.

As your skin becomes more used to this soap - and trust me it will - it will retain more moisture. Some people break out, but seriously I believe if you use it at a low enough frequency and ween yourself on to it, you'll get past that 'purge' stage.

The soap will rid you of almost literally everything on your face bar little bits of mascara/eye makeup - DO NOT GET THIS SOAP IN YOUR EYE lol. It's the best cleanser I've used in my life for such a good price like SO GOOD you can skip those cotton pad + face cleanser lotion (clean & clear for me) antics after a wash too make sure all make up/dirt is gone.

If you feel confident enough to, you can even use your flannel/face towel to scrubbb your face and you have a very good exfoliating treatment - I do this every day now.

Over the 3+ years, my acne scars have faded significantly although they are still there but this soap has really helped me to get more on top of my acne. Yes some days/weeks I get some annoyinggg spots but that's usually because I've slept in my make up the night before or haven't washed my make up brushes in a while etc.. *hides*.
This soap will seriously smooth out your skin if you use it religiously. I'd like to think that if I've picked a pimple this soap helps prevent the scarring that develops after, from coming through really dark. I'm gonna try and look for some before/after pics to post.

It's funny because when I first started using it all that while ago, everyone in my house was using different things on there face. My mum was using fair&white black soap for a while to try and even out her acne scars & now everyone's been converted to this & my mum's raving about how it's helping her acne scars and how the fair&white soap did jack for her.

I want to summarise everything real quick and add a few extra tips:

- This soap CLARIFIES to a T. It can be used all over body for a THOROUGH cleanse (I wouldn't recommend lady parts however because it may be too harsh can cause thrush etc) and can be used for clarifying hair (I use it on my fine natural 3C hair occasionally)

- It will initially dry out your skin & possibly even break it out but stick with it to see results

- Ween yourself on to if you're concerned. Start off with once a day/every other day just before bed (and follow up with a water based lotion) OR just use the soap a few hours prior to bed and just leave your face. Give your face more time to balance out moisture wise

- It is also good for smoothing skin complexion wise - in the long run - & causes lighter scarring as a result of picked pimples etc.

- Pair it with washing mitts/a good face cloth for a good (potentially daily) exfoliating treatment

- DON'T GET IT IN YOUR EYES PLEASE lool :(

NOW IN COMPARISON TO THE PURE UNBRANDED AFRICAN SOAP which I have also been using during the 3 years, I will say this.
- Both more or less do the same job: this brand IS made in Africa & IS made of natural products. I bought this soap in bulk while I was out there in addition to the unbranded.

- The unbranded one is possibly more moisturising than this brand BUT every batch of the unbranded is different. Different markets and vendors get there's from different places & this soap is known for being made differently. Some even appear more white than black although I've been told those ones are a bit dodge :/

- This one smells nicer because of added fragrance I'd assume

- The unbranded one is probably more 'natural'.. I'm thinking less chance of contamination as the appearance of this bar makes it looks like it's factory manufactured. The unbranded one comes hand wrapped & are all slightly different shapes.

---

BASICALLY IF YOU CAN'T GET TO AFRICA TO BUY THE UNBRANDED ONE (which in 1 pack you get about 6 - 7 bars worth of this for less than a £1/$1.50) & DO NOT WANT TO SPEND A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT BUYING SUPPOSEDLY RAW SOAP FROM SOMEBODY ELSE BUY THIS BAR. IT'S CHEAP. You can't really go wrong.

This was SUCH a long review but I've lurked these forums long enough without contributing what so ever and if there's one product I can give a proper and very well informed review on, it would be this. Hope it was helpful!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/2/2013 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Calidmv83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

No No No!!!... I really wanted to like this product because of all the wonderful ingredients however it burned my face, dried it out, and caused it to overproduce oil. By the end of the day I looked like and oily raisin. I tried to use it on my body but it burned my body and actually caused a painful burn on my stomach. I'm not sure but the burning was probably caused because black soap tends to have a high ph and skin is slightly acidic so in using something with a high ph can be to harsh. Although if I'm correct this product has lemon juice and aloe which can lower ph so I'm not sure what caused the burning but this product is just not for me. Mabye my skin is too sensitive. I prefer to use a fragrance/dye free gentle cleanser like Olay or Dove and then use a serum or a clay mask in the evenings to gently exfoliate with or treat acne. I liked the smell though it smells fresh and natural.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by MissTyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG when it comes to clearing acne. I have suffered from acne since the age of 10 and I am now 24. I tried birth control in college because prescription meds and over the counter products did nothing for my mild acne. It was the ONLY thing that cleared my skin completely. After 4 years of being on the pill I decided to ditch it in hopes that my skin would stay clear...it did for 6 months and then BAM...moderately severe acne. Talk about a blow to my self esteem. I went back to the dermatologist and she prescribed Epiduo...worst thing I've ever used on my skin. Extremely harsh. After 2 months I couldn't take the extremely sensitive skin on my face. Then one day my coworker told me he used his roommate's Dudu Osun black soap and it was already clearing up some of his razor bump scars after one use. I did some research and realized I had nothing to lose. I found a different brand in a local store because I couldn't find Dudu Osun. It started working wonders immediately. Then a month later I went to Atlanta and found a crapload of Dudu Osun soap and stocked up. It's stronger than the the first one I bought which is great because I had horrible acne. I use it twice a day because I have super oily skin. This product is DEFINITELY worth a try. I no longer suffer from acne (with that once a month exception) and am just working on clearing up the really old acne scars. This soap clears up most scars and acne, but I now use lemon juice and honey to help aid in getting completely clear skin. Please give this product a try. It's cheap and smells great as well. Be sure to use a moisturizer afterwards though.

TIP: I have horrible acne prone/oily skin. The first 2 weeks I used this soap it DID cause a little redness and did burn/sting when I used it. But my skin got used to it and now it no longer burns/stings or causes redness. I have been using this soap for 7 months. If you have dry or sensitive skin I recommend a brand of black soap that is not as harsh as this one. This product WILL dry your skin out and remove the oils...which is what clears the acne.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/24/2012 11:22:00 AM More reviews by mzniko1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this soap, I like the smell and I like what it does for my skin. I have oily skin and at first a bought an imitation black soap from target that left my with red patches on my cheeks. (Looking like santa in the face with rosey red cheeks) So I researched dudu and I liked the reviews that I was reading. It lathers really well, so I dont use a towel with it. I just use my hands as if I am spreading a cream cleanser on my face, it has the same effect.
Even with my oily skin, I will say this is the only thing that has dried my skin, cant say that I am complaining. However, it is the winter so having flaking skin is not an option, I just use a small amount of shea butter on my skin as a moisturizer. I do mean a small amount because a little goes a loong way!. The dudu black soap has tightened up my skin and is now lightening the dark marks on my face. Its like a cleanser and toner in one.
I do have some small breakouts from time to time, I figured its just deep cleaning out the impurities from the other cleansers that I was using before this dudu soap. The breakouts never last and are gone by the next day. I wash my face morning and at night and have been using for a week now. I must say, I do like the natural glow that has come over my facial skin.
I almost forgot..the price is excellent.. I purchased mine from amazon and I bought six bars for 10 bucks!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by seekingclarity08

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have been completely cured of this GOD AWFUL mess that is acne that I have suffered with since the age of 10. I am now 36 years old and have grown weary with the constant cycle of breakout and dry up and breakout and scar up. Ran across this soap at the health food store and decided to try it. My skin has literally changed over night. I have not had ONE SINGLE PIMPLE or one UNDER THE SKIN CYST since the night I first used this soap. Aside from the scars that remain from previous years and years of acne, I am COMPLETELY acne free after one week of using this soap. I have been telling everyone I know who even suffers from just an occasional pimple about this soap. LOVE IT! I have thrown every single acne cleanser, masque, toner, etc. that I had under my counter away. I have a 13 year old son who is just starting to go through the breakout craze and I have him using it as well. His skin has completely changed. Breakouts have halted and the oiliness is gone. One MAJOR plus to this soap is that it fades dark spots and your skin starts to look brighter. It will take quite a while for this to fade the years of damage that I have done from picking, etc. but I can already see some of my major damage starting to slowly lighten! I can't say enough about this soap!!! If you are at your wits end, TRY IT! My entire regimin consists of this soap, along with 2.5 BP after washing. That's all. Nothing more. TRY IT!!!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2012 6:25:00 PM More reviews by fherg94

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

this soap really dries out my skin, just the face. I gotta tell you if your looking for a soap , you better get the Raw African Black soap, is not as drying as this one. Also Use The Fruit of the earth Vitamin e cream to moisturize after the use of the abs. It really cheap! Walmart, Dollar General...