April 18, 2014 | 2010 users online

Moisturizers - Clinique - Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

rated 2 of 5 on 4/17/2014 5:18:00 AM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

First of all I do not understand why this is called Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel. It is really is not dramatically different! Maybe it was back in the 60s but now it is just a plain, boring and outdated moisturiser. Still, I really wanted to like the 3 step system and so gave this moisturiser a try along with the mild clarifying lotion and the extra mild liquid facial soap/mild liquid facial soap.

Sadly, this moisturiser did not work for me. I used it for a few days (following the 3 step routine) and it did not work. Firstly, it does not moisturise enough. I was told this is not supposed to moisturise, it is only to put the balance back (read put the balance back after using the harsh numbered lotions or the drying soaps). So, you're supposed to use this and then a (proper) moisturiser. Initially I was naive and told myself I would be ok with that but nah... It does nothing for my skin apart from leaving a filmy residue behind...

For the life of me, I do not understand why Clinique is always going on about the 3 step but when you come to actually try it you realise it is going to be much more than 3 steps. Make up remover, facial soap, clarifying lotion, DDML/G, moisturiser, eye cream. That's 6 steps.

After a few days of using I found I was spending ages in the bathroom getting ready for the day or to bed at night for no good reason. Using this gel and then a moisturiser or just a moisturiser was exactly the same. This has got to be the most useless moisturiser I have ever come across. Moreover, it is not really a gel but more like really thin lotion. One lippie because it is oil free and so keep 'oilies' at bay nicely and one lippie because it didn't irritate my skin/broke me out. Maybe it works for people with really oily skin that only need a tiny bit of moisture but not for my combination skin.

Summary: obsolete, plain, smells funny, leaves tacky feeling, does not have a convincing purpose (meant to be used with another moisturiser), does not moisturise enough on its own, did not break me out, did not irritate my skin and did not make my skin oily. Did nothing for my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2014 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Jaebyy

I may have to return this. I've also set up an appt with my derm after using this 3 days.
Awful reaction on my neck. Insanely Itchy rash that just gets worse. (& a few small bumps) The reaction began the following day but couldn't pinpoint it until this morning. I didn't want to blame it on this bc I soooo wanted this to work for me :( but it must be since I've not ever reacted like this to anything in the past & this is the only new product coming into contact w/ my skin. I'll see what my doctor says tomorrow. If it's anything else I will delete this post.
In the meantime, I'll be reading reviews to find the next best 😕

UPDATE-!! (bc I said I would)
-Dermatologist said she couldn't confirm my neck reaction was caused by this lotion. We narrowed it down that I'd also used my Clarisonic on my neck & that's not something I've done in the past. SO. If you have a Clarisonic, maybe avoid your neck area. She said our neck skin is similar to the skin under our eyes. Very thin & delicate so will easily react to anything harsh. Whether it's lotions, potions or brushes.
So be gentle :)

After I've healed up I'm going to reapply this moisturizer. If I react again, I'll know it is the lotion/gel. Either way, I'll update once more. I don't want to review negatively of a product if it isn't accurate/fair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2014 4:22:00 PM More reviews by Jennirocketz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Rarely I give 5 out of 5 in everything but man I gotta say I never expected this to be so good.

Texture: light, yellow colored gel/fluid, spreads on easily, non-sticky.

Smell: non-really, maybe a bit of freshness but nothing thats bothering for those who don't like smells.

Packaging: Really simple, sturdy, thick plastic bottle. Lets you see how much product you have left. Has a pump which is always a plus and it delivers the exact amount you need for all your face.

Overall:
Great to use prior makeup. Has a thin feel to it which makes it easily to absorb, meaning you don't have to wait for it to sink in. Makes the face a perfect, smooth canvas prep for makeup right after application. Face feels smooth, refreshed, soft and has very light velvety feel almost like a primer/moisturizer in one. Really moisturizes and leaves my skin balanced and soft. Ohh and it also controls oil (T-Zone) while keeping my cheeks (dry and dull) on point and very smooth looking and feeling!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2014 5:12:00 PM More reviews by djsaphira

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Over the last 3 years I have been through two 1.7 oz. tubes and one large 4.2 oz. bottle of DDMG, and I do like it, it does work very well for my skin in terms of moisturizing and not causing breakouts on my oily/combination skin, but- and this is a big one- it's not great enough for me to purchase anymore. It's a good, very basic, moisturizer for oily skin, but that's it. The lack of scent was a plus, and I love the gel-cream texture, but at nearly 30 years old I feel like my skin should have more on it's side than just a simple gel. It's time to branch out, but I give my gratitude and thanks all the same. Would not repurchase unless I was absolutely desperate and had no other options.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by Attitudeangela

I bought the formula for oily/combo skin and I don't really like it. This winter Ontario had a crazy cold winter and this moisturizer did not do its job! My t-zone was flaky and that's not a cute look. I wish I didn't buy thus because it was around $40 but I saw that it had such good reviews. Now I just use it before make-up after I use another moisturizer. I would never use this after a shower or bath because it failed me before.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 4:50:00 PM More reviews by franneh

I bought this for $29 at a Duty Free in Houston during a layover -- this was a huge bonus because living in Canada, it's closer to $40 after tax. I've been looking for an HG moisturizer for quite some time and I've finally found it! This gel absorbs into the skin very nicely, but retains the moisture well. I also mix about half a pump with my foundation which keeps my face moisturized throughout the whole day. I also appreciate the packaging. The pump makes life so much easier. Such a great product. This will definitely be a permanent staple in my bathroom cabinet.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by SassyShari

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this product. It is worth the extra change when buying this moisturizer. I have oily and acne prone skin, and this moisturizer gave me absolutely no problems. First it immediately absorbs into my skin. It does not feel heavy or greasy, as many products make my skin feel. It instantly absorbs into my skin and feels and looks matte, no shine. My skin always feels moisturized and hydrated, never greasy. It might seem a little price, but it is definitely cheaper than some of their other products and is definitely worth the money to have as your primary moisturizer. I give it an A+.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2014 10:08:00 AM More reviews by DanicaMarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have mixed feelings about this product. Mostly good, but some iffy. First of all, i have fairly oily skin but i guess i would be considered combination because the oil is confined to my T-zone, while my chin and skin around my mouth is pretty dry. I read reviews about this product first and decided to go to the store and buy some. I was pleasantly surprised when i got there that they have 3 different types of this moisturizer. Very dry/dry; Combination; Very oily/oily. Looking back i probably should have gone with the middle, combination one, but i was more concerned about my T-zone so i went with the oily one. That night i went about my skincare routine, i cleansed and toned and then i applied this moisturizer. The things i liked about this product are; Its very light. I much prefer gel moisturizer than thick cream moisturizer. The smell is fresh and almost non existent which i really like, it absorbed quickly and actually left my T-zone pretty matte, It comes in a pump that has a lid; much more sanitary than a jar moisturizer, you don't need a lot at all, its fairly expensive but 1 pump easily does your entire face so it will last awhile for sure, and it didn't leave me greasy or sticky at all, its actually quite refreshing.
The only downside i found is it didn't help my patchy dry spots around my mouth at all. And honestly, maybe if i had got the middle version, it would have helped more as it would have more moisturizer in it. But not even 5 minutes after i had applied it, my dry spots were flaking again. I had to put more on and when i woke up this morning it was still very dry.
All in all i do like this moisturizer and i will finish it, but maybe next time i will try the middle version and see if that helps a bit more.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 1:29:00 AM More reviews by melissalynn3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been using this product for about 3 weeks, and I love it! I apply it after I wash my face in the morning, and at nighttime. I have been searching for a moisturizer that doesn't make my face look greasy; and now I've found it!! I have oily skin, and this moisturizing gel hasn't made me breakout. I will definitely be using this product for a long time.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2014 12:27:00 PM More reviews by Catlove

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was so glad when clinique came out with this gel version. Its so fresh and light hydrating and no strong fragrances, hypoallergenic, doesn't burn my sensitive acne prone dry skin. Not chock full of antioxidants but I have a serum for that purpose. Just an all around great moisture gel to hydrate and replenish your skin. Highly recommended from me.