November 23, 2014 | 2102 users online

Hair Treatments - Homemade Olive Oil Hair Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by SophiaSopapilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My hair is fine, medium thickness, long and mostly straight. I use this as a leave in overnight treatment 3 or so times per week. It really helps keep my hair strong and repairs damage. My hair color stays vibrant longer.

Make sure when you go to wash this out you add shampoo BEFORE you get your hair wet. Just work it thru, then add a little water and lather up. Repeat, condition. I prefer this over coconut oil especially in the winter when coconut oil tends to harden below 75ish degrees. Try to wash with a sulfate free if you can so you dont strip out the moisture you just put in.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by Shopah0lic21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I am from Spain so olive oil is a staple in cooking. I would never use this as a hair serum again! I have extremly thick, coarse, curly hair and still, for my hair type, this made my hair greasy. I would recommend argan oil, as it is light and doesn't weigh the hair down. I do add olive oil to my hair mask once a week or so but I only add 1 tbsp

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2014 12:05:00 AM More reviews by laninvan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have long very thick but fine wavy to curly hair, gets oily after a day or so of not washing. It is completely dry and damaged from colouring repeatedly, a color correction and straightening. I have always abused my hair but it has never been this damaged, ends are dry, hard like straw. I have tried every product known to man, have a bathroom full of Kerastase, Shu Uemura , Ferakkai, (not sure of spelling but you get the idea) and countless other products that always worked for me in the past but not this time. I was just considering getting it cut short as I was starting to think it was beyond repair. I read the reviews here and once again MUA has been a life saver! All the positive reviews encouraged me to try the olive oil. I just took a cup, mixed some Redken All Soft mask (just to make it thicker and easier to spread) and about 1/2 cup of olive oil. I massaged it into the lengths of my hair on the sides and back, avoided the roots as I do have normally oily hair. I wrapped it in a towel for an hour then rinsed out. I had no trouble it washed out easily, conditioned with my usual conditioner and proceeded to dry hair. I could not believe it, my hair is a soft, healthy looking, full of body like a cloud as another reviewer said. I forgot my hair could look like this!! The only downside is I can smell a slight olive oil smell, but oh well, I can live with that. Now just have to figure out how often to do this as I will want to use it everyday.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2013 10:17:00 PM More reviews by HowGreatThouArt

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love EVOO as a hair serum. What I do is take a pea-size amount, rub it between my hands, and comb my hair with my fingers. Make sure to avoid you scalp and concentrate on the ends. If necessary, do the whole process again. This has made my hair very smooth, shiny, and easy to comb.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2013 12:45:00 AM More reviews by missfashionxo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recently home bleached my dark naturally wavy hair, to white blonde and it completely destroyed my hair, I was forced to cut off roughly 5 inches of hair. I've used every conditioner or hair treatment that promises to 'repair damaged hair'. However NOTHING worked, my hair was still brittle and snapping off. A few hours ago I discovered what was known as the hot olive oil treatment. I am ecstatic, this treatment is not only cheap, easy but also works wonders for dry damaged hair. Because my hair was so damaged I only shampooed it once and added a small amount of conditioner to the ends (lavender scented, to mask the olive scent) My hair feels so soft,luscious and shiny. I'm definitely going to do these on a weekly basis!

This is my personal experience, determine how damaged your hair is and then work out how much oil you should use (I used half a cup for shoulder length hair). xo

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2013 2:55:00 AM More reviews by huanhuann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I haven't tried the olive oil for cooking on my hair but I'm using the more diluted version, Ginvera olive oil series and so far it works magic! It is not as oily and stains everywhere like what other reviewers said about the cooking olive oil, and you can leave it on your hair without washing it off. I do frequent rebonding as I have frizzy coarse hair and when my hair grow out it would start to look poofy again. I've been trying out new methods to tame my lion hair and using olive oil serum from Ginvera is my new HG. Frequent rebonding has caused my hair ends to look rough and dry but olive oil actually made it look soft and shiny (not in the oily way but a more moist way)!!! I was so amazed.

I tried a few methods. One was adopting from a youtube vid, to put olive oil on my hair ends after shampooing, then applying conditioner and washing it off after a few min. That worked fine except that my hair serum was the diluted version of the one she was promoting, so it didn't really stay and I felt that most of the serum was washed out. So I tried applying the olive oil as a leave-in serum after showering. It was perfect! I tried many leave-in serums and conditioner before but most of them had disappointing effect on wet hair. They still left my hair frizzy and dry after it air-dried and my hair would end up looking like a poofy triangle. Didn't happen with olive oil! There were no frizz coming out during the 'air-drying stage' and my hair felt soft and smooth when it dried totally. I would apply it again in the morning before I go out to make my hair ends look smooth again. Definitely worth a shot to all those peeps with similar hair problems! =)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2013 4:54:00 AM More reviews by otiliaL

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't like using it on my hair, it had no effect except than leaving it greasy.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 9:55:00 AM More reviews by ctregower

After a week of hardcore highlights, dyeing and straightening, my hair felt dry and frazzled. After a quick google, I decided to apply a hair mask of olive oil and honey.

After I had applied the sticky paste, I began to question my decision: my hair looked like a sticky popsicle that had bean rolled around on the floor of a salon. But nevertheless, I left it on for 45 minutes.

After the initial rinse, I dried my hair, and to my dread, it was lank, oily and gross. But I washed it again - this time really making a lather with shampoo - and lo behold, the next time I dried it it was beautifully silky and soft!

I use olive oil (with or without honey) on my hair every month and it works wonders. However, you must REALLY wash your hair to get all of the oil out and reap the benefits. Two vigorous shampoos seems to work well.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/17/2013 6:53:00 AM More reviews by Tara134

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Being Greek and cooking only with olive oil since I can remember I would never put it on my hair again. It's great for the salad (I know most foreign people find the smell and taste heavy), it's good for your arteries when it's raw and but what about the hair? I used it once and had a very hard time to take it off. I was a bottle blonde back then and the color turned very very dull. Then I had to wash it over and over again and off it went with the toner. I told my hairdresser (Greek too) who insisted I should have kept the olive oil for the salad. I don't know if the olive oil that we use here is thicker or smth because sometimes we just get it from friends' and relatives' home productions but still I use Elvive's oil. More convenient and you don't smell like you spent ten hrs in the kitchen which is no aphrodisiac anyways. Because no matter how many times you wash it off the smell lingers. As the oil attaches to the hair so does the smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2013 5:08:00 AM More reviews by scmsv

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

You have to use oil a certain way for it to be successful. I tried this and the oil cleansing method for my face on and off for a LONG time before I got it right, but now I couldn't be happier.

Here's how I do it. Once a week, I use 1/2 extra virgin olive oil AND castor oil. Castor oil is fantastic for your hair, olive oil alone is disappointing. I also add a few drops of jojoba but I really don't think it's necessary, just smells good :)

Anyway, I load this up on my hair, probably 1 full measuring cup, wrap my head in a plastic bag, and let it be for 2 hours. Then in the shower, I rinse for a few minutes, do a really intense shampoo, if I feel like I need to repeat, I do, and then conditioner as normal.

I let me hair air dry when I do this, and I swear I don't have to wash my hair for the next 3 days, AND IT IS SHINY. Soft too :)

I buy my EVOO at the grocery store and all other oils online.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No