Black Opal Eyeshadow-General

4.6

on 1/16/2009 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have purchased Sepia Sunrise twice because it's the only quad I've ever hit pan on. I love this quad! colors include shimmery taupes, mauves and a very dark brown. the cheap price is no indication of it's quality. the colors glide on and I just read a review that recommends wearing the colors wet which I've never done but will try with mixing medium soon.

I've depotted this quad to combine them with other single eyeshadows and that works better for me.

love these!

on 1/18/2007 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I don't think Black Opal is out of business. Their website is still up (though it's a sucky one) and I still buy their products at Rite Aid. My favorite eye quad is Sultry Sirens: a vivid violet, metallic silver, fuschia, and a deep eggplant. Great deal for about five bucks.

on 12/24/2006 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

When I was on the mainland I stocked up.....great colors,blendable,with staying power!

on 12/19/2006 7:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

AHA!! was i happy to walk into CVS today and find Black Opal Cosmetics!!!! YAY!!!! i thought they were no longer around!...
although i'm very fair skinned and not their target audience....I LOVE THIS STUFF!!...this make up is one of my faves!! best colors and quality for a great price! love it!

on 2/16/2006 12:22:00 PM

The company is either out of business or on its way out so grab all of these while you can. This is high-end shadow sold at drugstore prices. I have two duos (Gold Rush and Chocolate Dreams) and three quads (Emerald Dusk, Sepia Sunrise, and Golden Sunset). The pigmentation is much deeper on the duos, which I bought originally to use as powdered liner. The quads are lighter because they're shimmery but the colors are buildable and go on much darker if you apply them wet. I'm a PPP and am able to get very subtle looks out of the shadows by applying them lightly. I think this approximates Bobbi Brown shadow in quality.

What a shame to see this marvelous line go under.

This is a wonderful eyeshadow, with great pigment, goes on smoothly, and lasts all day. it is supposed to be marketed for women of color, but I am a PPP and many of the shades have been flattering for me, because of my coloring. I particularly love the Star Burst ones, which are random speckles of about 3 colors and end up blending together, like a mosaic color corrector or bronzer for the face. I have at least 5 different BO shadows and love all of them. I DONT like the container but, I think they did re-do the packaging and they are round now. they used to be oval shaped and were sort of awkward to twist off, at least for me.

on 10/4/2005 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

I have been lusting after this in "Chocolate Dream". So I took the plunge. It is a wonderful duo shade; Chocolate Brown and medium-brown taupe. Highly pigmented. Smooth texture and application with a good makeup brush. I used dry on lids. Use wet to line eyes. Will repurchase.****Update**** Purchased several other Black Opal shadow singles and quads. I love them all, especially the quads. They remind me of MAC pigments but without the mess and hassle. When these run out will purchase BenNye palette refills. continued >>

on 3/22/2005 3:29:00 PM

Beautiful colors...great price. Perfect application wet or dry. I've used this line for some time now and their shadows can go head to head with any of the high end brands!

on 1/23/2005 7:56:00 AM

I bought 2 eyeshadow quads for $5 a pop in Manhattan. Pros: Gorgeous color combinations, silky application, and shimmery without being too glittery. Cons: Uneven quality in terms of pigmentation and lasting power- they MUST be applied with a base. That being said, both quads were lovely neutral color combinations that would be quite suitable for the office. Sepia Sunrise had three shimmery shadows (Plum-Gold-Dark Brown) and a beige matte color. Emerald Dusk was a quad with four shimmery eyeshadows (Rose-Navy-Moss-Silvery Brown) of which I had problems with the Rose and Brown shades showing up- but then again, I am a CCC. Lovely combinations, but I can buy other better quality eyeshadows in the same price range.

on 9/27/2004 11:38:00 PM

I found the Black Opal eyeshadow quads on clearance in Walgreen's one day, so I thought I'd try them. I've found that drugstore cosmetics marketed toward women of color tend to be highly pigmented, so I figured, why not try these? I only had 3 dollars to lose (for all 3)! Anyway, turns out I made a good decision. I like these eyeshadows because they can be used wet or dry, considering what effect you want. They work especially well wet as a liner with a liner brush. The colors complemented my NC35/stila e/Sue Devitt Nullarbor Plain south asian skin quite nicely.
Also the consistency was easy to work with. I just use the foam applicator inside, and gives an even application. Overall, I liked these eyeshadows and would buy them again

Top Rated Black Opal Products