October 21, 2014 | 1756 users online

Makeup Brushes - Paula Dorf - Bronzing Fan

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2009 12:18:00 PM More reviews by Giannina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Awesome brush to apply highlighter!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2009 6:18:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I thought I had the application of bright, highly pigmented blushes all figured out, but it seemed like my technique was resulting in either too much color or not enough.

When I started hearing that a fan brush is THE tool for applying the kinds of blushes I favor, I decided that I *had* to have a fan brush, and not just any fan brush.

As an ardent animal lover/respecter, I insist on using only makeup brushes made with synthetic fibers.

Those are *not* always easy to find, I've learned.

I looked at the site of every cosmetics line I knew of, consulted a vegan friend, did a Google search, and still came up empty.

Most cosmetics lines don't offer a fan brush at all, and the few fan brushes I came across featured animal hair.

Finally, I chanced upon Paula Dorf's fan brush at drugstore.com and, hallelujah, the bronzing fan is made using *synthetic* fibers!

I balked a little at the $32 price tag, but I'll pay more for cruelty-free, so I bought one.

I used my bronzing fan for the first time this morning, and it worked like a dream applying my MAC "Flame Red" blush.
The bristles are *very* soft and light.
Another reviewer spoke of "whisper light" application, and that is a perfect description of how this brush works.

My only "complaint" is that the head of the brush is about 2.5 inches wide, which is too big for applying blush from the apples of the cheeks straight back toward the hairline, like I usually do.

So I just brushed with short upward strokes and worked my way back, which worked fine.

The effect was a light "veil" of color, for a very natural-looking slightly flushed look. The blush color was true, but soft, not an easy effect to achieve.

I plan on this brush lasting for a very long time, but I'd happily buy it again if I needed to.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2008 2:34:00 AM More reviews by lil_kismet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this brush. It is PERFECT for applying a sheer/natural wash of bronzer and would probably work just as well for applying very pigmented blushes. It's my favourite brush to use for subtle contouring of the jawline too. The bristles are extremely soft yet substantial. I have seen no splaying of hairs whatsoever. This is an excellent quality brush that performs well and will last a lifetime.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2007 4:02:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The BEST brush for applying highlighter! I used to use smaller, round brushes (like blush brushes or powder brushes) to apply highlighter and ended up with dense pigment that never looked right. This allows me the perfect application across my cheekbones and browbones. Whisper light application that deposits the right amount everytime. I do use it for applying blush and bronzer too but I always end up reaching for this everyday to apply highlighter. No splaying or sheding of hairs after washing and it's shape holds up nicely. An HG makeup brush for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2006 9:52:00 AM More reviews by iriss

I bought this for bronzers, cause i wasn't good at applying. And after this brush i realized why i wasn't good at, the main reason was the brush that i use. This is really great for bronzers and pigmented blushes. It pickes up right amount of bronzer and blends equally to your face. So your skin doesn't look heavy with product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2006 10:14:00 PM More reviews by ruby_tea_roses

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

AWESOME fan brush! I use the Paula Dorf Bronzing Fan Brush to apply my NARS blushes! It is SOOOO soft and applies a light, sheer wash of color to my cheeks - even with the highly pigmented NARS blushes. I am a fair PPP skin color and I use vibrant color blushes like NARS Lovejoy, Taos, Torrid and Angelika .... and using this fan brush they all apply so light and sheer! This fan brush makes application so easy and creates such a wonderful natural look on my cheeks no matter how vibrant or dark the blush! Excellent! Highly recommend!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2005 10:35:00 AM More reviews by ziebam

I have alot of bronzers and have used a variety of brushes to apply them but this happens to be my new favorite. This synthetic bronzer brush is a large fan shape with a grey handle. The bristles are long and synthetic so they arent super soft. However, they do pick up the perfect amount of bronzer and wont leave you streaky or with a brown spot here or there. Works better than a large powder brush or kabuki and even my stippling brush. I like this the best and think its highly worth the $28.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2004 12:07:00 PM More reviews by vina501

This was my first quality makeup brush purchase. I was extremely uneasy at paying $28, but it is worth it. Although the name of the brush is "bronzing fan" I have found that it can be used for so much more. When I first got it I used it solely as a blush brush. It gives you that just barely there application that I just cant do with a regular blush brush. It puts on bronzer beautifully. I have also used it to put on pressed powder to get a barely matte finish. And it is awesome at applying shimmer powder. The key with this brush it that it is wide and thin so it doesn't pick up tons of product. So you may have to take a couple of swipes on your face, but you get exactly the right amount of product exactly where you want it.