July 31, 2014 | 990 users online

Fragrances - Ormonde Jayne - Sampaquita

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by colodon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Sampaquita smells like fly spray according to my dh, this and osmanthus are my least favourite of the JO samples I've tried so far...there is a persistance to them which makes me feel nauseous after a couple of hours.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2010 1:41:00 PM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Nooo way!!

Like a bubbly J'Adore grapefruit style... YUCK!!!!

This literally singes my nosehairs. Great way to wake up and smell like a "SOPHISTICATED, bubbly champagne-y pink grapefruit." Very jarring, unsmooth.

Not my idea of a good time. But wonderful if you want to smell sophisticated, snobby, late-30s, British, and like a pink grapefruit. And very much like J'Adore. Very artificial and contrived. Nope.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2010 4:45:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

Sampaquita is not among my favorite Ormonde Jayne fragrances, but that's not a slight coming from a line as good as this one. I was prepared not to like it at all, because it's not really the sort of fragrance that I like that much - a fruity floral, I suppose you'd call it, though that sounds so unkind, as it's simply lovely.
In the opening, Sampaquita is floral-sweet, juicy, transparent, filled with lychee, clear, clean and light. You could wear it straight through the hottest parts of summer and it would never be cloying or sickening. The sweetness of the lychee and flowers is balanced by grass oil and bergamot, which give freshness and transparency. I also pick up a light pepperyness in this stage, which isn't listed among its notes.
After the first 10 minutes, the floral aspect becomes more gentle, not as juicy, and blends with the rest of the fragrance. At this stage, I like it most, because though the first 10 minutes of Sampaquita are beautiful (and done about as well as I've ever experienced them), they're not really my style. Once they've passed, I smell more of the notes that round out the lychee and flowers (magnolia, sampaquita, freesia, muget, rose, water lillies) - I can pick up on a green-ness that must be grass oil, vetiver, and moss. And a youthfully innocent fruity/musky facet that must be the ambrette. The former notes are still there, they are just complimented and rounded out by the notes that come in at this stage. This is also when it takes on the characteristic Ormonde Jayne feel that runs through most of the fragrances in this line. I think for that part, it's either you like it or you don't, as not liking this base seems to account for a lot of why some people don't care of the line. I, on the other hand, love the OJ base!
Sampaquita does not have a great lasting time. I think I get about 3 hours out of it? Maybe I would get more if I applied more (I only have a tiny spritzer). It will seem to mostly fade away, and then you will notice it again, sometimes one facet of the fragrance, sometimes another. The faint dry-down that's left after this stage is lovely, but most perfume lovers will probably want to re-apply or try another fragrance because it takes some serious nose-to-wrist action to pick up on it.
I think it's less sweet and definitely less creamy than Frangipani, and thus works a bit better in really heavy heat. I think it's quieter, a bit more youthful, but still tropical and lush. Sampaquita has an aquatic transparency that allows it to be simultaneously tropical and lush, and light and pure feeling (I include this comparison, because I've seen people asking about the differences between the two.)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2010 5:22:00 PM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Nice jasmine, fairly linear scent. Quality fragrance, but not special enough to warrant the purchase of a full bottle.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2009 7:55:00 PM More reviews by housemum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

so ,so upset,I bought sample set in shop and wittled sampaquita to my first to try,re tried in the bond st shop on a lovely september morning and rushed out gailey with my purchase ,I sprayed !!divine for all of three minutes !, sooooooooo disappointed ,its me I thought everyone else will smell a waft of tropical flowers when I brush by!!! alas no ,people I told to sniff me said they couldnt smell anything on me ,I must say the samples didnt last on me though either .is it my skin ?,I like on first smelling taif though I dont want to buy if it has the same effect i.e nothing !

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2009 10:40:00 AM More reviews by roroluca

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I supposed I expected this to smell much more lighter and fresh but it may be due to my lack of experience in perfumery that I didn't really enjoy this scent. I wouldn't mind if I were never able to smell this scent again - it wasn't really anything memorable. The top notes were very reminiscent of many department store perfumes, namely Dior J'adore. In fact, I can't tell the difference between the 2 perfumes, and I may prefer the J'adore over this. Sampaquita was a disappointment compared to Ormonde Woman and Champaca.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2009 4:34:00 PM More reviews by SkirtSteak

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Sampaquita is a refreshingly dewy nectar scent, ideal for an oppressive summer day.

These aquatic florals usually induce an instantaneous migraine, but this one has been very well behaved and I haven't had to fumble around for my medication while running for the scrub brush.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 10:44:00 PM More reviews by ALBA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm so glad that i'm not alone and that the previous reviewer can smell what I can as a base note running through all her scents. It's almost like a boot polish note in every single one.

This particular one smells rather like a sweet paprika. I generally like oriental notes but I had to wash this off. I'm afraid to say that I like very few of her fragrances, the only ones are like are male scents and I find those far more enjoyable despite being a woman. I find the rest too sweet and the Ormonde Woman makes me feel nauseous. Really wanted to like them too.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2008 1:32:00 PM More reviews by shaktigal

To all OJ's that i have tested so far is something similar, an undertone of something repeating itself in each scent. i detect this just after spraying the scents, but it persist in the background throughout. I cant really describe what it is, but my best trial is a 'condensed, synthetic, aquatic note on aldehydes'..if such a thing exists. This 'base-note' reminds me somewhat too of the slightly putrid smell of the distilled water my grandma kept in a plastic shaker-bottle in her fridge for ironing the shirts of her husband. Maybe its the fixative of the scents that i detect, maybe its an OJ signature ingredient, i do not know. However, i cant grow fond of it and so far also not of any of her scents. Sampaquita is however a very unique, exotic scent, and i will keep re-trying it for some longer since i find it so original and unlike anything else.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by ParisTroika

Floral but not sweet, not "bouquet-y" like Frangipani. Doesn't really "wow" me right off the bat. It is soft and goes on already really light. I was not impressed right away...thinking maybe I'd like it more if it were deeper, stronger. However, I noticed in Arabic class (around noon, 3 hours later) I could still smell it pretty well but it reminded me of fabric softener/dryer sheets. By 5p or 6p I could still smell it (better staying power than other florals) and it no longer smelled like dryer sheets, but for most of the day I felt like I smelled merely like "clean laundry" but I am very happy with the staying power of this scent. I wish the other ones had this kind of staying power. This would last well all day layered with lotion.

Website description: Literally translated as "I Promise You", Sampaquita flower is a symbol of purity and fragility, coupled with fidelity and resolve.
The scent opens with an unmistakable summer bouquet, bursting forth with sun-kissed lychee set on a canvas of bergamot, grass oil and magnolia flowers in full seductive bloom.
The marriage of these elements, together with a dusky floral heart of sampaquita absolute, freesia and muguet, combine to form a fusillade of fabulous intensity. An inspired quartet of base notes, musk, vetiver, moss and ambrette seed, unify and harmonise this sensational summer scent.

- Top: Lychee, grass oil, bergamot and magnolia