Ormonde Jayne Sampaquita

3.3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

Jasmine sweetened by lychee. Pleasant enough. Inoffensive. I can't really say anything bad about it but it is rather insipid.
Not full bottle worthy for me.

on 12/29/2012 12:09:00 PM

Sampaquita smells like fly spray according to my dh, this and osmanthus are my least favourite of the JO samples I've tried so far...there is a persistance to them which makes me feel nauseous after a couple of hours.

on 8/5/2010 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Warm

Nooo way!!

Like a bubbly J'Adore grapefruit style... YUCK!!!!

This literally singes my nosehairs. Great way to wake up and smell like a "SOPHISTICATED, bubbly champagne-y pink grapefruit." Very jarring, unsmooth.

Not my idea of a good time. But wonderful if you want to smell sophisticated, snobby, late-30s, British, and like a pink grapefruit. And very much like J'Adore. Very artificial and contrived. Nope.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Sampaquita is not among my favorite Ormonde Jayne fragrances, but that's not a slight coming from a line as good as this one. I was prepared not to like it at all, because it's not really the sort of fragrance that I like that much - a fruity floral, I suppose you'd call it, though that sounds so unkind, as it's simply lovely.
In the opening, Sampaquita is floral-sweet, juicy, transparent, filled with lychee, clear, clean and light. You could wear it straight through the hottest parts of summer and it would never be cloying or sickening. The sweetness of the lychee and flowers is balanced by grass oil and bergamot, which give freshness and transparency. I also pick up a light pepperyness in this stage, which isn't listed among its notes.
After the first 10 minutes, the floral aspect becomes more gentle, not as juicy, and blends with the rest of the fragrance. At this stage, I like it most, because though the first 10 minutes of Sampaquita are beautiful (and done about as well as I've ever experienced them), they're not really my style. Once they've passed, I smell more of the notes that round out the lychee and flowers (magnolia, sampaquita, freesia, muget, rose, water lillies) - I can pick up on a green-ness that must be grass oil, vetiver, and moss. And a youthfully innocent fruity/musky facet that must be the ambrette. The former notes are still there, they are just complimented and rounded out by the notes that come in at this stage. This is also when it takes on the characteristic Ormonde Jayne feel that runs through most of the fragrances in this line. I think for that part, it's either you like it or you don't, as not liking this base seems to account for a lot of why some people don't care of the line. I, on the other hand, love the OJ base!
Sampaquita does not have a great lasting time. I think I get about 3 hours out of it? Maybe I would get more if I applied more (I only have a tiny spritzer). It will seem to mostly fade away, and then you will notice it again, sometimes one facet of the fragrance, sometimes another. The faint dry-down that's left after this stage is lovely, but most perfume lovers will probably want to re-apply or try another fragrance because it takes some serious nose-to-wrist action to pick up on it.
I think it's less sweet and definitely less creamy than Frangipani, and thus works a bit better in really heavy heat. I think it's quieter, a bit more youthful, but still tropical and lush. Sampaquita has an aquatic transparency that allows it to be simultaneously tropical and lush, and light and pure feeling (I include this comparison, because I've seen people asking about the differences between the two.)

on 5/10/2010 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Nice jasmine, fairly linear scent. Quality fragrance, but not special enough to warrant the purchase of a full bottle.

on 9/25/2009 7:55:00 PM

so ,so upset,I bought sample set in shop and wittled sampaquita to my first to try,re tried in the bond st shop on a lovely september morning and rushed out gailey with my purchase ,I sprayed !!divine for all of three minutes !, sooooooooo disappointed ,its me I thought everyone else will smell a waft of tropical flowers when I brush by!!! alas no ,people I told to sniff me said they couldnt smell anything on me ,I must say the samples didnt last on me though either .is it my skin ?,I like on first smelling taif though I dont want to buy if it has the same effect i.e nothing !

on 4/4/2009 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I supposed I expected this to smell much more lighter and fresh but it may be due to my lack of experience in perfumery that I didn't really enjoy this scent. I wouldn't mind if I were never able to smell this scent again - it wasn't really anything memorable. The top notes were very reminiscent of many department store perfumes, namely Dior J'adore. In fact, I can't tell the difference between the 2 perfumes, and I may prefer the J'adore over this. Sampaquita was a disappointment compared to Ormonde Woman and Champaca.

on 3/14/2009 4:34:00 PM

Sampaquita is a refreshingly dewy nectar scent, ideal for an oppressive summer day.

These aquatic florals usually induce an instantaneous migraine, but this one has been very well behaved and I haven't had to fumble around for my medication while running for the scrub brush.

on 10/5/2008 10:44:00 PM

I'm so glad that i'm not alone and that the previous reviewer can smell what I can as a base note running through all her scents. It's almost like a boot polish note in every single one.

This particular one smells rather like a sweet paprika. I generally like oriental notes but I had to wash this off. I'm afraid to say that I like very few of her fragrances, the only ones are like are male scents and I find those far more enjoyable despite being a woman. I find the rest too sweet and the Ormonde Woman makes me feel nauseous. Really wanted to like them too.

on 9/14/2008 1:32:00 PM

To all OJ's that i have tested so far is something similar, an undertone of something repeating itself in each scent. i detect this just after spraying the scents, but it persist in the background throughout. I cant really describe what it is, but my best trial is a 'condensed, synthetic, aquatic note on aldehydes'..if such a thing exists. This 'base-note' reminds me somewhat too of the slightly putrid smell of the distilled water my grandma kept in a plastic shaker-bottle in her fridge for ironing the shirts of her husband. Maybe its the fixative of the scents that i detect, maybe its an OJ signature ingredient, i do not know. However, i cant grow fond of it and so far also not of any of her scents. Sampaquita is however a very unique, exotic scent, and i will keep re-trying it for some longer since i find it so original and unlike anything else.

Popular Fragrances