Kiehl's Original Musk Oil

3.9

parfum/fragrance, hydroxycitronellal, linalool, cinnamyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, geraniol, benzyl benzoate, alpha isomethyl ionone, hexyl cinnamal, benzyl salicylate, citronellol, limonene, benzyl cinnamate, isoeugenol, eugenol, citral, farnesol, amyl cinnamal, cinnamal fmla

I was so eager to try Kiehl's Musk that I did a huge mistake and sprayed it directly on my wrists right before needing to board a plane. In general, I love musks and was sure from the description - Kiehl's would be perfection. But instead of love, it was one of the most screechingly acrid scents I've ever smelled. I sat there waiting for something warm to develop, something not so screechingly clean with such hard edges - Something, anything, but harsh clean scent! But it honestly just kept hurting my head and nose. I finally ended up hunting down hand sanitizer to get rid of as much of it as possible. I don't know what's wrong with me and this scent - but we really are just not compatible. However, if you are scared of the description of Keihl's as dirty, armpit, sweating umph - there are some of us who don't get anything near to that at all.

I forgot I had a rollerball of this until recently. Layered it on top of SL Encens et Lavander which reduced the powdery aspect and lifted the fragrance nicely with a lemon twist. I tried it because I figured SL MKK would be too sweet, rich and rose. The combo is a smoother gentler version of FM music ravageur, without sharp angles or excessive powder.

This was perfect. I have issues with orange blossom being urinous; not so here.

I am next going to experiment with layering alongside L'Heure bleue. I find the modern extrait of LHB too powdery and the vintage LHB was purported to be much more animalic. ( I have successfully layered a dab of MKK, original release with a dab of LHB to great success - dabbed adjacent to each other then I touch my wrists together to combine. The LHB tames the MKK; the MKK reduces the powderiness of LHB. No lemon as with khiel's above.) After that, I will try with Dior Eau Savage which was originally also supposed to have an animalic undercurrent. (Diorella without the melon).

Note: other than layering, this is of limited utility ( especially since I have a bell jar of MKK and NR musc oil for her) which is why the small rollerball is an ideal size. My husband is not one of those men who smells this on my wrist and thinks mmmm, sexy clean delicious. He has a more acute sense of smell than I do, and he thinks this is flat and one dimensional and reminds him of his fathers soap on a rope by mennen. Needless to say, I don't wear plain SL MKK around him either.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Many of the previous reviewers start off by saying "I never thought of myself as a musk sort of person" and I am no different. In fact, I would tell you that I dont like musk. I think this is largely due to an uncle who wore copious amounts of a very cheap smelling musk cologne. This oil though- well I love this stuff. I tried the EDP but there is a note in there that I am not a fan of. Its all about the oil for me. The oil is smooth, warm and comforting. Yes, there is a bit of an animalic vibe, but animalic in way that a puppy's paws smell animalic. This is my everyday go to scent. My husband who loves all scents light and clean gives this his seal of approval. I think that is what makes this fragrance unique. Its not "clean" but it feels that way.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

When the sales assisstant spritzed my wrists little did I realize the turn my day was about to take. My first impressions of this Kiehl's musk oil were reminiscent of a sweaty NBA team at half-time having great buckets of baby powder overturned on them, with old ladies cheering in the stands. Yes. Really. The drydown tamed the NBA team down to a managable mixed doubles tennis match at a hippie country club where all members must be enveloped in a cloud of aged patchouli for admittance. As I walked through the store, images kept coming to me of sweaty crotches, old ladies with severely short haircuts working out in neighborhood health clubs, and several animalic impressions as well. It was as if it opened up some kind of memory center in my brain where these image arouse like a stream of consciousness.

Upon returning to the perfume counter I exclaimed to the sales assistant "A most evocative scent to say the least" which she took as evidence that I was interested in purchasing it. As I sauntered off to the exit without the slightest hint of salutation, my message was received loud and clear.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Can't get this at Norstrom's in Pittsburgh area anymore. Not sure for other areas. Order on-line direct and Noestrom's is very generous with samples. People always comment, but mostly female, about how good I smell! LOL! Clean, fresh...btw, like the little, dark amber bottle it comes in...

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I always considered myself a "clean" scent kind of girl, so the musk scent took me by surprise. I'm reading other reviews now and see that people describe it as clean and soapy, which is definitely not how I immediately decscribe Musk, but will explain my addiction to it! When I wear it, I definitely feel Sexy with a capital S. It's the scent I want when I'm heading out with my girlfriends and everyone is splashing on their Chanel No.5, their Dior Poison, and I put a few dabs of Musk to keep that "sex bomb" energy going, but with my own signature no-nonsense style.
Love love love it in oil form!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Kiehl's Original Musk Oil and EDT. I have them both, and I have for a loooong time. I bought my oil about 10 years ago, I think, and there was no roller-ball available then & no EDT -- just oil in a bottle. My oil smells the same now as when I first got it.

I later got the 3.4oz EDT spray -- same scent, just lighter.

In general, I'm crazy about musks, esp warm musks -- but this one? There is an animalic note, not very strong, but definitely noticeable. It worries me a bit to wear this in public. Even if I like it (and I do, for the most part), what might others think? I can't wear it around others with complete security and confidence -- I wish I could.

Per a magazine article I read several years ago, actress Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer) wears (or wore then) Kiehl's Original Musk Oil, and I think it fits her. She said she'll forget she has it on and then someone will tell her she smells good. Being a New Yorker, married to Kevin Bacon, I can see her being a fan of this musk oil. I think it fits both of their down-to-earth, casual, natural styles.

I went home last night and pulled out both my Kiehl's Original Musk formulations -- both oil and EDT. I applied oil to left arm & EDT to right arm. Same scent, to my nose -- EDT being lighter. The oil is much richer, and I found the scent surprisingly comforting and relaxing. I sniffed both throughout the evening, and quite frankly, in spite of a shower, I can still faintly smell the oil on myself now, over 12 hrs after application. Great longevity!

ADDENDUM 8/11/15: In InStyle Sept 2015 magazine, page 363, there is an article about Oscar-winning actress Julianne Moore ("Still Alice"), and it pictures and describes her "must-haves" -- one of which is Kiehl's Original Musk Eau de Toilette. Julianne Moore says, "I've worn this scent forever. It smells really clean, and I've never gotten tired of it.".

So ... inspired by Julianne, I've sprayed my Kiehl's Orig Musk EDT today -- and I'm sorry, I don't find this musk to be "clean", although other reviewers think it is too -- I'd call it a bit "dirty", in fact. I find White, Egyptian, African, China, Bonne Belle Skin, Bourbon French, and several other musks to be far more "clean" than Kiehl's is. And I own them all.

Kiehl's is an under-the-radar, low-noted, woody musk -- mostly sandalwood, I think -- with a slight animalic note. I find it to be extremely soothing and calming to wear. It's a comforting, relaxing scent to me -- sort of a hippy or a primal "back to nature" musk -- reminds me of camping & hiking -- or something an artist might wear -- almost an anti-society, unpretentious, basic human animal scent -- and I can feel my nerves unwinding with every whiff.

For me, that is the best result -- it soothes my nerves. That's my favorite part about this scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This review is for the 1921 Musk oil (roller ball).

Kiehl’s Musk is one of my favorite, sensual, sunny-day fragrances. The opening is gorgeous and bursting with high quality floral notes (definitely orange blossom, rose, and lily) and citrus (bergamot). The musk component is dirty-clean and I swear that civet is in there. There is also a sweet aspect that seems to tie everything together—the civet, musk, and orange blossom coalesce to form honeyed, animalic bliss. You can just feel the warm, disco sunshine radiating from your skin! This fragrance pairs well with Brian Eno’s “Here come the warm jets”. Tenacity is average (for oil) and projection is close to the skin, making this appropriate for several settings.

This is a staple for me and its my daily fragrance. I think the price is very reasonable and the EDT is about 1/2 the cost of many other fragrances. I get so many compliments on this, both men and women. I layer it with the EDT and it lasts about 4 hours which is a bit depressing but I can reapply if necessary. I wish that it wasn't in a glass bottle because I have dropped it before and of course it shattered so I am very careful with it but because its an oil it can get slippery and if I put it like smack in the middle of my clevage you can see it which looks weird. Its a very sexy fragrance. Some people don't really care for musk though so I admit its not for everyone which is good, I like wearing a fragrance that is unusual. Another thing I will say is that it doesn't ever give me a headache. One of my other favorite scents is Coco Mademoiselle and if all the stars aren't aligned I usually end up with a headache when I wear it.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I originally tried some of this on while shopping and walked away, thinking..."Meh!" As I continued shopping, the smell grew on me, and I couldn't stop sniffing and sniffing and sniffing....and sniffing...my wrists because I just loved it so much! I had to go back and buy myself a bottle of the musk oil. Since then, I've had to restock on another bottle and also have gotten the roll on. I do find that the roll on I have smells a little sharp and not as nice as the bottle.

I've had coworkers and friends lean in and smell me and say I smell really good! It's just a nice, day to day smell that never gives you a headache or is too in your face. I probably have at least 10 perfumes that I haven't even finished, let alone buy more of. That speaks for itself! Love this.

Popular Fragrances