September 21, 2014 | 1785 users online

Fragrances - Kiehl's - Original Musk Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 11:50:00 PM More reviews by mlthom123

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

Can't get this at Norstrom's in Pittsburgh area anymore. Not sure for other areas. Order on-line direct and Noestrom's is very generous with samples. People always comment, but mostly female, about how good I smell! LOL! Clean, fresh...btw, like the little, dark amber bottle it comes in...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 4:44:00 PM More reviews by aleung88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I always considered myself a "clean" scent kind of girl, so the musk scent took me by surprise. I'm reading other reviews now and see that people describe it as clean and soapy, which is definitely not how I immediately decscribe Musk, but will explain my addiction to it! When I wear it, I definitely feel Sexy with a capital S. It's the scent I want when I'm heading out with my girlfriends and everyone is splashing on their Chanel No.5, their Dior Poison, and I put a few dabs of Musk to keep that "sex bomb" energy going, but with my own signature no-nonsense style.
Love love love it in oil form!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by sillage

Kiehl's Original Musk Oil and EDT. *sigh* I have them both, and I have for a loooong time. I probably don't have reformulations -- my oil is probably original formulation. I bought it about 10 years ago, I think, and there was no roller-ball available then & no EDT -- just oil in a bottle. My oil smells the same now as when I first got it. I later got the EDT hoping it would be better -- not really, same scent, just lighter.

I can't wear them. Sorry to the legions of Kiehl's Original Musk lovers out there. I am crazy about warm musk scents, but this one? There is that one note -- I won't say it -- you know what I mean. It's a bit scary for me to wear this in public. Even if I like it (and I do, for the most part), would everybody near me like it too -- or would they wrinkle their noses?

But I just re-read reviews, and so many love it *so much* -- that I'm going to pull mine out and try again.

Per a magazine article I read several years ago, actress Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer) wears (or wore then) Kiehl's Original Musk Oil, and I think it fits her. She said she'll forget she has it on and then someone will tell her she smells good. Being married to Kevin Bacon, I can see her being a fan of this musk oil. I think it fits their down-to-earth, casual, natural styles.

I went home last night and pulled out both my Kiehl's Original Musk formulations -- both oil and EDT. I applied oil to left arm & EDT to right arm. Same scent, to my nose -- EDT being lighter. I prefer the oil for sure, it's much richer, and I found the scent surprisingly comforting and relaxing. I sniffed both throughout the evening, and quite frankly, in spite of a shower, I can still faintly smell the oil on myself now, over 12 hrs after application. Great longevity!

VERDICT: It smells good, yet there's a note like the wearer might have just come from a barn or a petting zoo or a horseback ride -- and the musky animalic scent is still subtly clinging to them. It's an alluring warm woody sensual musk that strikes an elemental chord, but honestly there's also a very risky animalic quality. I would hate to wear it to a meeting and somebody say in horror, "what's that smell?" or people start checking the bottoms of their shoes.

This is a fragrance that would not have universal crowd appeal, I don't think. Very risky, and quite frankly, I'm still afraid to wear it in public. Sorry to its tons of fans! It almost smells like the oil has gone bad, but that's its natural smell. I think they may have used actual musk from an animal's musk gland (or an imitation of such a musk).

When I want to wear a soft warm musk and plan to be closely around people, I wear Jovan Musk Oil or Coty Wild Musk Oil or Bourbon French Musk Oil or one of my many others (CO Bigelow, Cabot, Nemats, etc) --- all delicious, with no funk note.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 9:54:00 AM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the 1921 Musk oil (roller ball).

Kiehl’s Musk is one of my favorite, sensual, sunny-day fragrances. The opening is gorgeous and bursting with high quality floral notes (definitely orange blossom, rose, and lily) and citrus (bergamot). The musk component is dirty-clean and I swear that civet is in there. There is also a sweet aspect that seems to tie everything together—the civet, musk, and orange blossom coalesce to form honeyed, animalic bliss. You can just feel the warm, disco sunshine radiating from your skin! This fragrance pairs well with Brian Eno’s “Here come the warm jets”. Tenacity is average (for oil) and projection is close to the skin, making this appropriate for several settings.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2013 5:40:00 PM More reviews by jekm2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a staple for me and its my daily fragrance. I think the price is very reasonable and the EDT is about 1/2 the cost of many other fragrances. I get so many compliments on this, both men and women. I layer it with the EDT and it lasts about 4 hours which is a bit depressing but I can reapply if necessary. I wish that it wasn't in a glass bottle because I have dropped it before and of course it shattered so I am very careful with it but because its an oil it can get slippery and if I put it like smack in the middle of my clevage you can see it which looks weird. Its a very sexy fragrance. Some people don't really care for musk though so I admit its not for everyone which is good, I like wearing a fragrance that is unusual. Another thing I will say is that it doesn't ever give me a headache. One of my other favorite scents is Coco Mademoiselle and if all the stars aren't aligned I usually end up with a headache when I wear it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2012 2:11:00 PM More reviews by zephir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I originally tried some of this on while shopping and walked away, thinking..."Meh!" As I continued shopping, the smell grew on me, and I couldn't stop sniffing and sniffing and sniffing....and sniffing...my wrists because I just loved it so much! I had to go back and buy myself a bottle of the musk oil. Since then, I've had to restock on another bottle and also have gotten the roll on. I do find that the roll on I have smells a little sharp and not as nice as the bottle.

I've had coworkers and friends lean in and smell me and say I smell really good! It's just a nice, day to day smell that never gives you a headache or is too in your face. I probably have at least 10 perfumes that I haven't even finished, let alone buy more of. That speaks for itself! Love this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2012 6:07:00 AM More reviews by Halloqueen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been buying Kiehl's original musk since the 80's...boy does that age me. I've worn it off and on, but when I'm in the mood for musk, almost nothing else will do. Sadly, it looks as if Kiehl's is cutting back on the musk line according to their website...why??? It's what made them. It could be their own fault though...back about 10 + years ago, the bigger spray bottle, if I'm not mistaken, was a EDP that lasted forever and was awesome...I always think of it as a warm golden brown creamy skin scent, I repurchasd the big bottle about 5 years ago, and immediately noticed a change,,,it's now an EDT and much lighter...I was so disappointed. I bought the small rollerball musk which was ok, but I think it's been through at least two reformulations,. It seemed much stronger back in the day, so maybe it was modernized? Anyway.....today's Keihtls is good, but a shadow of what it used to be, I might try the bottle of oil and see if I have any luck.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by tealady

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this scent!! I wear it all the time. The oil is so MUCH better than the spray. It is truly musky so not for everyone but if you like musk, this is the gold standard! Classics are classic for a reason and this is a classic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2012 8:25:00 PM More reviews by JaneWayne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this a few years ago and ended up swapping it away, it just wasn't earthy/soapy enough for me....too dirty. I am not sure if I got a bad batch or my tastes have changed, but I am so glad I got another bottle. I know Jovan is really popular here, but I could just never get into it, it is too sharp. This is what I as hoping Jovan would be. It is slightly soapy and earthy, stays close to the skin but it makes an appearance every once and awhile, especially if it is hot outside. I purchased this with the lotion and am loving both, the lotion is very potent, but not so much as to overpower when worn together. I think this oil smells very close to Kuumba made's Oriental Musk, only softer. Also, it smells lovely with Kuumba's Tunisian Patchouli!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2011 5:32:00 AM More reviews by QuilleyReturns

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I'm going to really date myself here, but I've been wearing this oil since I was a teen, lol. Did you know that Kiehl's was a brick-and-mortar before it went mainstream? Yep. I would go down to The Village in NYC to pick this up back in the late 1970's early '80's. It actually came out the year I was born! This particular musk is one of those that I always have laying around, sort of like a forgotten teddy bear or a doll that you "think" you've outgrown, only to find yourself digging around for when you want a classic "skin" scent. It's comforting, mysterious, long-lasting and wears well on my (dry, sensitive) skin for hours. A true classic. I'm not fragrance savvy enough to detail the combination of oils, but Kiehl's says there are 122 separate oils that make up this blend. Not sure how/if the formula has changed over the years, however it smells the same to me as it did when I was a kid and I stll love it.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No